Server Costs Dec

Ends in 13 days 0%
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: An Overview of the Blackout Event So Far
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:21 pm 
RP Canoneer

Faction: Crimson Armada

Hey everyone, I wanted to post something that let everyone know how well this is going, some behind the scenes, and explain a couple of small changes that should help this go more smoothly.

First, I still do not have representatives for Green or Red. Both now have clues, but I am still not going to post them in the public forums. Both of them are pretty small and inactive factions, not just in the event but also in the game. Red has a few influence runners, but I respect their desire to focus just on that part of the game.

Brown, Blue, and Purple are rocking this event. All three jumped right on the decisions and the influence challenge, and have been hot in participation and discussion. I am enjoying the speculation, and am looking forward to seeing how each handles the future phases of the events.

Now that we have moved along through the first phase I have a much better idea of how the different aspects are working. I like the decision process, and will be keeping it. I am going to give everyone two days to make the decision instead of the one I have been giving you. This should allow slower factions to keep up without drawing everything out and losing excitement for what is happening. I will also be more clear to the time limits, and post them as part of the decisions.

I was asked why choosing both of the choices in the decision process didn't allow the NPC to do both. The answer is that this is more like one of those old "Choose Your Own Adventure," books. You can either pick option 1 or 2 because they each will end up leading towards different results in the long run.

This is what my decision outlines look like:

So as you can see, each one brings you closer to an end result, and the chances of a clue are affected by your decisions. Currently, there is a really good chance of gaining a clue. This will change, and I will explain the change and make it clear when the time comes.

Think of this first phase as killing rats in the basement. We are learning how the system works and figuring out the basics. When we are done with that, the rules grow slowly in complexity until we have a fully functional game system to frame an adventure in. I certainly have learned a couple of things I needed to tweak and change, so this slower and less complex start has been good.

You may not have noticed but there are only three clues, and so far none of them are special to a faction. What I mean is that factions so far do not have clues that only they will get. Starting in the next phase (which should happen on Monday or thereabouts,) the influence challenge will give faction specific clues. So if you complete the influence challenge, your faction will gain a clue only they will have access to. This has two effects. The first is that sharing of clues may become more important if a faction wants to know all the facts. The second is that there is a smaller chance of those clues not faction specific are not going to be discovered at all.

As this continues, feel free to drop by here and give some feedback or ask questions. I will continue to post here to talk about how this is going and the future of this event and possible future ones.

Post subject: Re: An Overview of the Blackout Event So Far
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:56 pm 
Dev Eyepatch

Faction: Earthen Order

Wait you mean we're going to have to cooperate with Purple?

*) Member of the Black Sheep Squadron

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:36 pm 
RP Canoneer

Only if you want their faction specific clues.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:44 pm 

Faction: Flight School
Im hoping that we will have reasons for keeping secrets, as it stands now we have no reason to keep anything to ourselves.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:29 pm 

Faction: Azure League

Quote:
a hooded figure asks for help with his caravan

if you decide to help him, turn to page 22

"read page 22 first! don't give me that look"

the figure gave us a tome of summoning other tomes

rules: made up

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:41 am 
Smashing Pumpkins

Faction: Independent

Amira Navaras wrote:
Pilot-in-Command

Because of my font, I thought this said "Plot-in-command", which was appropriate for someone commenting on event mechanics.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:13 am 
RP Canoneer

Eeptog wrote:
Im hoping that we will have reasons for keeping secrets, as it stands now we have no reason to keep anything to ourselves.

You are right, currently there isn't a reason. I hope to provide one soon.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:48 pm 
Dev Eyepatch

Welp, for this particular point, there's now a Roleplay Forum topic to comment in if wished. Might be a good place to put "Public" Clues...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:52 pm 
Hack Journalist

Faction: Court of Violets

I REALLY dont think you set this up for the RP crowd yet. Ell, despite being special, might not have heard much about this yet. I don't feel, OOC, that I know enough of why/when/how/how talked about these blackouts are. Did any of this info appear in the forums besides 'there was one?'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:37 pm 
RP Canoneer

Good point. What do you suggest? More public posts about what is going on?

I have said that this event is somewhat experimental, so any feedback is welcome and will help make future events even better.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:13 pm 
Dev Eyepatch

Makes sense for Grey to know about it since he had a data point happen at Olio (his backyard), and is accessing the EO research (through being rep). I posted in the RP forum (and in the R&P, by the way, check lurker) so that the RP world can have a data point of something strange going on.

More than that, people who RP and are active in the Blackout RP need to get a postin...

[edit] Nero: more official posts of "accidents" outside of the original two would draw alarm once the knowledge of what skylands had points. I.E. once data on the hit skylands was out in the field, put out a few more stories of the harsher explosions to expand the drama. Perhaps you could also use these stories to introduce some of the character NPCs? That might give away more clues, but also would tie things together with the faction storylines.

Last edited by Grey Mortand on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:15 pm 
RP Canoneer

We also have few players, and I have purposefully started this off slowly.

The future events I have ideas and plans for would start off with much more of a bang and would have a more significant information at the start.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:43 am 
Hack Journalist

Faction: Court of Violets

Also fair to start it off slow. But at some point you definitely need to push this from 'ocd/on the spot people know something, anything, is happening' to 'the public knows and can chose to get involved.' Also, I think theres something like a dozen skylands involved, and the forums have mentioned like, 3?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:30 am 
Muse

Faction: Jade Hand

EO got the skyland names in order as a clue. Apparently everybody had a chance to get the same clues this far in, though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:18 am 
RP Canoneer

Ellington wrote:
Also fair to start it off slow. But at some point you definitely need to push this from 'ocd/on the spot people know something, anything, is happening' to 'the public knows and can chose to get involved.' Also, I think theres something like a dozen skylands involved, and the forums have mentioned like, 3?

The public forums have mentioned only the ones with fires. Which seemed to make sense to me. People tend to focus their current even knowledge on the destructive. A number of blackouts that only happened for a few hours and only to a small area? Most people forget those sorts of things. Don't worry, things will start becoming noticed by the public very soon.

What exactly do you mean by "the public knows and can choose to get involved?" Are you talking about NPCs or players outside of a faction?

If you meant players outside of a faction, the only thing I can think of is setting up their own decision process and making their clues public. Why I didn't start with that, I have no idea. Unfortunately, they can't run influence for clues. They are very much encouraged to participate in contests.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:50 am 
Muse

Faction: Jade Hand

I think he means the NPC public. You know, the 99%. :cheeky: