Register / Log in

Server Costs Sep

Ends in 5 days 0%
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Wanted: Blackout Event Feedback
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:27 pm 
Developer

We wanna hear from you. How'd the Blackout Event go? How can we make it better?
What worked well? What didn't?
How was the pacing? (I know some factions had to skip some sections of the story to get everyone at about the same place/phase a couple of times.)
Prefer Forum-based RP? Need moar on-Radio RP/interaction? Less?
(Scheduled) appearances by RP NPCs? The Faction Leaders?
Were the rewards for the contests (titles) appropriate? Should those titles be usable only for a limited time (such as until the next Event)? Permanent?
Was "flat-lining" the economy (making it "all green") on a given skyland a good idea?
How about the Pirate Influence dumps? Decay being paused in a few places? (note to self: restore decay asap.)
Prefer "soda", "pop", "soda pop", "Coke", "carbonated sugar sludge", others?

Don't feel like you need to answer each one of these questions; they're just to help spark conversation.

Post subject: Re: Wanted: Blackout Event Feedback
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:11 pm 
Muse

Faction: Jade Hand

I appreciate the attempt at rekindling RP and in-game connections. It's a worthy cause, and I'd support further action to this effect.

The primary fault from the roleplaying perspective was that it was exclusively a faction and forum-based event. Nothing meaningful happened in Radio because the opportunity for characters to influence the plot personally was little to none. The idea of polls directing faction interests is a valid one, but the event itself is not at best simply an alloy of factions' decisions. In fact, a majority of current Radio-RP characters in SR are effectively independent, despite being affiliated with a faction.
    On the forums, the answer to this problem would be a series of open-ended clues without nodal decision paths. The progression of a nodal decision tree is quite railroad-ey, which is not a very exciting model of storytelling for roleplayers. I would recommend an event plan which responds to characters' actions directly and indirectly, even if there are certain primary-plot nodes which will be either guaranteed to occur, or critically decisive, which would allow Nero's decision tree to still function in some way. However, explicitly predefined results to each and every action may not be the way to go. I'm sure Nero wouldn't want to go through and make up a result for every possible thing any one or more character(s) could do; it would require some improvisation on his or his equivalent's part to facilitate.
    The Radio RP never got notable because players felt meaningless with faction polls doing all the work. What's the point in the character doing anything if there's nothing to change? In order to include individual characters into the plot, there is a certain level of awareness event managers must have of unofficial Radio and forum RP. Certainly, reading the logs every day may not be the most efficient option; I would expect players to be eager to summarise their IC actions to Nero, Calvin, the Devs or their equivalents in the next event upon questioning; there could also be a community thread just for this purpose, for easy access to all event-related RP.

I can't speak critically of the relevant game mechanics, as I was not particularly inspired to get back into it by this event. Granted, I never was one to have a lot of interest in the influence wars or the eternal grind. It just doesn't appeal to me— but I'm sure there are some who were moved to start playing again. Perhaps they will explain themselves.
    The duration of the roleplay is not, I think, nearly as critical as it seemed to be thought of. Nero often pointed out how long he expected the event to last, and this implies a certain mode of thought which isn't necessary for an entertaining event. The duration is for as long as the event still interests the players and its management. If the story seems short, more story is created to fix the problem; if it's dragging on, we bring it to a finalé.

As far as the progression of the event goes, I feel that the ending was rather unsatisfying; I actually wasn't sure that the event had ended, because it was so subtle and included a reveal that— why, it didn't really reveal a whole lot. Actually, the climax for Brown was about when we learned of the scientist, and began making a rapid series of jumps leading directly to him in our quest to prevent the blackouts from continuing.
    After that, everything stopped seeming relevant at all, as many decisions were made by our faction-characters, leaving not only our already-neglected characters behind, but our faction polls as well. Indeed, it looked like a roleplay consisting entirely of NPCs. Given the faction-focused nature of the event, this was probably quite proper; however, I dispute the validity of using factions as a primary element of future events. If you're trying to encourage RP, the factions become, quite frankly, irrelevant. While trying to encourage actual Skyrates gameplay, influence wars and thus faction relevance grows, but that does not mean that we want to attach every single action to a faction.

In whole, the event was a valiant effort, and worth the time and resources it took; I hope, though, that it is a wide margin from the next attempt: In short, the players need more direct influence. Votes in a poll just don't summarise a person's ability to contribute to the welfare of Skytopia.
:cheeky:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:22 pm 
Explorer

Faction: Azure League

-Well, I think the event went pretty well for a trial run.

-The story in general was pretty good, but I feel like there was fairly little audience participation hooks. I know I had a few places I was able to do things, (Specifically regarding Earthbreach.) but it seemed a bit detached? The faction level stuff was pretty good though in my opinion, got some teamwork going on in the end and I had that document I started to keep track of clues that got shared around.

How was the pacing? (I know some factions had to skip some sections of the story to get everyone at about the same place/phase a couple of times.)
-I got distracted at times for various reasons, but other than a few times where rewards were a bit ambiguous, pacing didn't seem too bad.

-I cut my teeth on forum based here, which included devs on occasion. So I have a bit of a backing in how getting the GM-like input worked. But I think most of the people here these days prefer chat RP. The trouble is getting schedules to work. One of the biggest things to do is, make sure there's hooks to get people to involve it. They need something to do that they can RP mattering. The trick is to get the players to carry the weight. They'll be happy to if you can do it right. The old Blue Expeditions did that. We were told about a box in Islo's effects. All we really got was that it had a mountain, and a plane on a wire. Everytime it passed over a point, it flashed and beeped. It also had a button that may have... possibly made the HF stop cloaking. Don't tell any of the other factions that though. We didn't even know the HF back then.

That spawned several threads worth of RP, which with some occasional dev intervention here and there, netted blue a platform to study, and more leads to go on. The Emir followed along on one RP even, which was interesting.

-This ties into what I just had. It doesn't even have to be often, but the occasional brush with the NPCs, actually being on the same level... That is a big thing. A Conclave meeting, poking around the tavern for information, things like that.

Were the rewards for the contests (titles) appropriate? Should those titles be usable only for a limited time (such as until the next Event)? Permanent?
-I know little about how that turned out, but I wouldn't take them back. It's a bit of advertisement, and a little bit of pride. How did you get that title? You did something in this event, and others could get something like it if they try.

Was "flat-lining" the economy (making it "all green") on a given skyland a good idea?
-I actually don't recall this. I thought you made EB red, but I don't remember any green.

How about the Pirate Influence dumps? Decay being paused in a few places? (note to self: restore decay asap.)
-Having the pirates/or other hostiles getting more aggressive is good in moderation, but if you beat up the players too badly you risk making the inf runners apathetic. I don't know it was too much an issue here, just a general thing. The idea of running inf in places to progress and get clues was nice though.

-Well, I live in a 'soda' state, last I checked. (Funfact: Democrat and Republican states tend to be soda and pop respectively.)

Don't feel like you need to answer each one of these questions; they're just to help spark conversation.
-Don't ever tell me that, or I will. :3

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:00 pm 
Legend

How did it go? It went, mostly through calculated, planned progressions.

What worked and didn't work? The level of detail brought in off the cuff, usage of advice and comments from players along the way was good. As noted before, forum and faction exclusive "worked" but it would have been nice for the event to have made it on to the radio.

The pacing? Always had momentum, though a bit slower at a few points, but easy to keep up with, especially with obscure work schedules like mine. So another plus there, from me.

RP NPC & Factional leader appearances? Nice to see them in any capacity, but it's a good starting point. Definitely like to see that amped a bit, if/where possible.

Rewards? Titles seem to be the going fare, so it's par for the course.

Economy? Yeah, having pirate/dev shifted economies makes things interesting for the trading crowd, that's for sure.

Pirate Inf? Just another contestant in that arena. Nice to have that competition in there though.

And lastly, it's all "Coke!" All of it! Just depends on what kind of Coke you want...you know, like Dr. Pepper, or Pepsi for example. All still Coke! Yar! :remytasty: :remywild:

Waiwaera; Waiweira. (n) Proper Name. From Australian Aboriginee folklore, name referring to the evil spirit who resides between the two black holes in the Milky Way. Noted as trickster/shape-shifter figure in various tales.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:24 am 
Developer

Thank you, Maya. Very well put.
(still reading the others, but wanted to give a shout out to Maya)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:28 am 
Developer

Naes Draw wrote:
-I actually don't recall this. I thought you made EB red, but I don't remember any green.
Yeah, I made it all red at first 'cause that was quick and easy and I was pressed for time. Soon afterwards, I manually tweaked each good to be sure it was green. It took much longer than I had hoped, but as long as I had feared.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:32 am 
Developer

Waiwaera wrote:
Economy? Yeah, having pirate/dev shifted economies makes things interesting for the trading crowd, that's for sure.
I was a bit worried about impacting those in mid-queue who might not have noticed the economy suddenly going sour. I suppose that's what Trade Insurance is for - assuming it's still working! 0.o

What else, folks?
The more feedback we have, the better the next one can be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:29 am 

Faction: Flight School
Im with maya for the most part. Where i was expecting an exciting twisty-turvy adventure with a thrilling race against time to stop an unknown mad scientist with evil but understandable reasons for his actions, we instead got what felt like a puff of smoke, like it was more some kid shooting a BB gun at power lines because "he felt like it." It wasnt really a mystery because we had no suspects until halfway through, then there was only one and it was the culprit who we still dont really know anything about.
If you go back to the early threads and see the speculation that was going on, particularly the map that was drawn up, thats what was really fun. I was all ready for it to be coming from the far east, The mysterious Court getting involved in skytopian affairs, but then it turned out that clue didnt really matter in the slightest.

I know you wanted to get it done quickly, unlike the hidden war, but it ended up feeling rushed instead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:08 pm 
Smashing Pumpkins

Faction: Independent

Calvin wrote:
We wanna hear from you. How'd the Blackout Event go?

Decently.

Quote:
How was the pacing?

Fairly good, though I would have liked less delay between the end of a phase and seeing the results. But that's probably the price of only having one person running the whole thing.

Quote:

I'm no good at RP, and just skim over most of it. I did have some problems understanding the link between decisions made and the results we got. At the very least, please label each clue with the reason why we got it. (And faction reps need to include that label when sharing the clue.)

Quote:

Like my title from when I was faction leader during the Hidden War?
<--------

Quote:

Is anyone still trading? I quit when I got around 250mil.

Quote:
How about the Pirate Influence dumps?

The pirates were fine, though I think we reclaimed EB before the poll about it ended.

Quote:
Decay being paused in a few places?

Definitely stop decay on any skylands you're trying to measure inf gains on; what bugged me was when you stopped the decay on the skylands you told us NOT to run inf on.

Quote:

Soda.

I'd love to see more things to do in the game itself, but I don't know if that's possible with the devs still around, or if there are enough people still playing to make it worthwhile. But I really liked the concept of the Faction Actions in the Hidden War, and would love to see things like that available to all players, or at least governors.

Question for RPers: how much do factions matter to you? Should future events continue to focus on faction leaders and NPCs or should everyone have equal opportunity to contribute?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:54 pm 

To start, I believe some of the problems I'll mention were due to a lack of time and people, especially toward the end where Nero left for an unexpected vacation. Something of this scale may need more staff, or be rewritten to require less timely responses from the staff we do have. And I do want to stress that this event was honestly fun for faction influence runners to play, and that Skyrates could use more of this in the future.

First, the links between story and game mechanics were glitchy. At some points we had the range of aircraft as a clue, at another point range was miscalculated and Fritz jumped to Romeo, at the end he just teleported and had a sudden fleet of pirates as his posse. We had a clue about a trader carrying oil, which made me guess a nearby skyland which was red for oil, but the trader preferred to take a longer route and sell at yellow instead. Fritz also probably could have just bought/stolen a plane to start with. You can get a used Cyclops for pretty cheap around here.

We had a quite a few decisions between two similar and minor choices of investigation, both taking place in one office/library, and could take only one choice in a week. These could have been... slightly exciting, involve more progress, or have been more grandly challenging? Every faction's liaison had only a grand dream of a computer. They also did everything on their own. If we want to know what happened on Kadath, our NPC has to attend to it personally, rather than coordinate NPC pilots/reps/whatever. Nobody's even infiltrating a pirate stronghold or... whatever. Research should uncover more backstory, for as noted we still have nothing interesting on Fritz's history.

Pirate/Hidden influence and trade disruption do make the game interesting. Make it more widespread, more fluid next time, and you won't have any complaints from me. I have no idea if trade insurance works or not but trade is such an easy game to recoup losses from I would never worry about it. Skyland trading shuts down on its own with no warning, that's always been part of the game. And please do shut decay down around the game areas. The entire north of Skytopia should have quit decaying as it became clear the blackouts were heading their way, for game/influence reasons and IC/story reasons alike. Remember to turn it back on once the terror's passed.

Finally I'd ask that someone volunteer as an editor/co-writer on these, after Fritz hijacked the trader and left him some gil and a gil to fly home on. These updates had a lot of words and not much detail to them. The art challenges could also use some tweaking. We didn't have many submissions in the essay competition, but plenty of stories.

I'd love to play another round where the creators have more time and help to craft the game. This was a successful test of the idea. Thanx.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:16 pm 
True Friend

I feel awful for replying to this thread in such minor detail, but there's really nothing I can add that hasn't already been said.

Maya hit the nail on the head when she mentioned that there was little each character could do (radio-wise) personally to affect the ultimate outcome, but frankly, that's just how some RP has to go to include everyone in an even capacity.

The event moved quickly - very, very quickly - perhaps too quickly. I found myself not logging in for a day or so, and the next thing I knew, I'd somehow missed two polls. When Green had so few voters (literally only 2 or 3 at a time), that was kind of a big thing. Because of this, the plot became a little difficult to follow without major backtracking.
Not that this is a huge dilemma, it's just something that seems relevant. I for one love to read up on RP. :remycute:

What happened to Earthbreach was very cool, but it seemed like a lost opportunity when it was the only Skyland seriously affected; almost as if it was a trial for similar future events? :remywild:

Overall, and at the end of the day, I'm just happy to see some Skyrates RP occur on a larger scale. Really feels super.

Calvin wrote:

Dude, nothin' beats Coke. Nothin'. :drool:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:29 pm 
Muse

Faction: Jade Hand

Kalin wrote:
Question for RPers: how much do factions matter to you? Should future events continue to focus on faction leaders and NPCs or should everyone have equal opportunity to contribute?

As I wrote in my response to Calvin's question, factions are largely irrelevant in the course of Radio RP. I'm not aware of any ongoing forum RP in Skyrates, but there does seem to be a lot more faction involvement when it does happen.

Partly it's to do with the fact that an RP metagame hierarchy is rather disdained in modern Radio tab. Similarly, many of the characters are effectively anarchist. It's no fault of the factions to act or even drive the plot, but for them to be the sole actors in an event is rather exclusive; it limits RP to the NPCs and any OOC faction bureaucracies that develop when, from the Radio tab's position, these are the least important actors.

Even for those characters that are directly and actively associated with a faction, there is a sense of meaninglessness that comes out of being part of a democracy of NPCs. Certainly, there are faceless characters abundant which are the movers and shakers of the world, but roleplaying becomes a mundane activity when the only characters actually controlled by players or game masters are totally powerless to influence the story.

From the perspective of roleplayers, the PCs come first; if that weren't the case, we'd probably be writing bad poetry or reading pedantic history textbooks instead.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:37 pm 
True Friend

Maya wrote:
Even for those characters that are directly and actively associated with a faction, there is a sense of meaninglessness that comes out of being part of a democracy of NPCs.

From the perspective of roleplayers, the PCs come first; if that weren't the case, we'd probably be writing bad poetry or reading pedantic history textbooks instead.

Yes, this is something that ought to be remembered whenever Roleplay is discussed.

No one character can walk into a Roleplay and say: "I'm doing this for my Faction." Or, "My Faction does this.".

I'll use my current ongoing RP (not meaning to shamelessly advertise, or anything) as an example: With such a situation, the Factions would undoubtedly get involved, yet without any official word from appropriate high-ranking officials in each Faction, it's borderline Godmode to say: "The Armada readies their troops and blahblahblah...".
So we have to sort of awkwardly skirt around what the Factions are doing to respond to certain events / threats, and fill in the gaps with our l33t RP skillz. :remycute:

Nobody is at fault, it's just a point that should be made.
Though perhaps it's discussion for another thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:09 pm 
RP Canoneer

Faction: Crimson Armada

Ah! I disappear for a week and return to this!

I will have to take some time tomorrow to digest the information and post my own views and responses here.

*edit*
I was planning on starting a discussion like this tomorrow anyway, so good job on beating me to the punch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:40 pm 
Dev Eyepatch

Faction: Earthen Order

Calvin wrote:

I loved it myself, and it rekindled many hours of debates in EO forums. The inf challenges were good, but were sometimes foiled by decay, which made running on some skylands impossible. Finding a way around decay would be imperative - either by shutting it down or resetting the skyland's base inf levels when it is being used as a challenge. Doing this in a way that doesn't disturb the gov race would be the best.

Pacing was slightly slow, but needed for the inf challenges.
Forum based RP was good, but I wish we could have scheduled several on-Radio RP interactions - basically do multiple iterations at different times to accomodate different time zones.
RP NPCs were good in my estimation. Faction Leaders were...interesting. Remy was a great twist, however!
I didn't win, but I feel the titles should be permanent. That way it's a neat award, and something to remember.
I haven't used the economy in 2+ years, so it didn't help or hinder me honestly.
Pirates were a neat twist, and made ME jump to help out quick. Use it more.
"Coke"

*) Member of the Black Sheep Squadron

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:37 pm 
Tally Teller

1. Saw there was some kind of event happening. Thought it might be fun to join in.

2. Went looking for a concise and compelling blurb about the event and how to get involved. Found instead a mass of long forum topics in different sections that would take more than a couple of minutes to untangle. Liked that collective decision-making seemed to be involved, but thought it looked hard for a casual player to keep up with what was going on.

3. Got distracted by a delightful butterfly.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:16 am 

Splitting the informational declarative important action posts between Skyrates General Talk and Second Class Citizens or whatever, and a dozen rambling threads, was probably a poor idea, yes. I might suggest a single and well-updated sticky to inform players of what the eff is going on at any given moment.

Nero Shade wrote:
Ah! I disappear for a week and return to this!

Vanishing, for whatever valid reasons, 3/4ths through one's grand opus does tend to do this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:32 am 
Smashing Pumpkins

Amira Navaras wrote:
Splitting the informational declarative important action posts between Skyrates General Talk and Second Class Citizens or whatever, and a dozen rambling threads, was probably a poor idea, yes. I might suggest a single and well-updated sticky to inform players of what the eff is going on at any given moment.

This. Having to check four(!) forums, PMs, and an offsite page every day for news was cumbersome at best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:32 pm 
RP Canoneer

Faction: Crimson Armada

Overall, I think it went well. There certainly were both good and bad parts to it, as several people have already pointed out. This was the first time that I had done anything like this, and honestly it was a great amount of work for several reasons. My biggest regret is that I couldn't give it an ending that it deserved, but I had somewhat painted myself into a corner in a variety of ways by that time. My biggest joy was reading everyone's resposes and excitement, and seeing things like the maps and google doc.

This started in a short brainstorm that was had behind the scenes. I wanted to experiment with the title and limited abilities granted to me, feeling somewhat obligated to do so. I knew that whatever needed to be done needed to be manageable, simple, and laid out ahead of time. I also wanted to figure out what tools were available and learn how to use them. I then set about writing out an outline and the first third of the event, knowing that I was probably going to be the only one writing for it. Calvin helped out with occasional suggestions, editing, and with things that I just couldn't do like pirate influence or posting as faction heads.

I did have help from Austin J, Markus Jarnhann, and Artemus Delphus, each one writing at least one thing for the event. I am very grateful for their help and hope to work with them again. Calvin, as I said above edited and gave some suggestions. It was during one of his edits that the soda and pop situation cropped up, but we are able to laugh at such things and that was just one problem with an otherwise excellent job that he did.

Most of the event was written on the day that I posted it, and frequently I wasn't sure what to write until I did it. For most of the event this wasn't a problem, as I had plenty of time to work on the event, but the last third saw me starting school and a major adventure that required a lengthy roadtrip (and I still wrote stuff while on the trip!) If there is another event that requires me to write even half as much as I did I would be sure to plan the timing so that I wouldn't have to split my focus so much. I think I did pretty darn well considering the circumstances.

The decision process worked decently enough for most of the event, but I don't think it is something that should be done at the scale that I tried it at. The amount of work on my end to write and set up, and the difficulty for players to catch up on if they missed too much make this process not the ideal one for long term events. Most certainly a revision of that mechanic would be needed if we wanted to use it again.

I wanted to do more chat RP but there were a few issues that ended up preventing any of it from happening. The first is that I didn't plan well enough for one ahead of time. The second was that it became clear that it would be very difficult to coordinate enough players to make it worth it. The third was that I would have a very difficult time playing multiple NPCs. The last one was a limitation that I had little control over, and it was made clear to me that only I had permission to use NPCs. I more than likely could have done one still, and I regret not trying harder for one.

The story was fun to write, but I admit that it could have been better. It certainly should have been less railroaded and allowed for more player interaction. The problem I faced in the beginning was the sheer amount of work that this needed, and I unfortunately chose the railroad route to keep it down. I probably could have kept my work down by going the opposite route, giving little information and letting the players fill in all the blanks. Who knows, it worked in a table top game I once played maybe it will work online in probable future event.

The influence part of it worked really, really well. I loved how people actually asked for more. I have a few ideas on how to use influence in the future, and a mini-event that I have in mind would work really really well with the influence game.

Changing economy to green was really just a tool to show in game effect of what was going on. I honestly don't have any thoughts on how well it worked because I have almost nothing to use to gauge its effectiveness. I have other ideas on how to use it, but that will have to wait until future events and possibly some feedback.

Like I said, the ending was actually disappointing to me too. The road trip took more out of me than I had thought it would, and I knew that it would be better to end it sooner than later, so I ended up settling. Maybe not the best move in hindsight, but to be honest dragging out the event any longer would have just added more disappointments. I like certain elements of the ending, but all those who commented on it were correct in their assessments. It should have been stronger, but at that time that was all that I could deliver.

We honestly need more players for an event to work at the scale that I attempted. That won't happen unless there is some promotion of the game, but I feel that the game isn't in a state to be promoted successfully. It needs work, lots of it from what I understand. Until that can happen I don't see larger events being possible. Until that time, I can work on and run smaller events that only last a week or two with little to no impact on the overall story of the game.

There were other limitations that I just had to deal with. Independents don't have a forum of their own, nor is there an easy way to track independent influence. This was one of the things that influenced the faction only posts. I had to rely on player made tools to keep track of things, and much time was spent manually doing math and calculations to see progress. There was literally no way for me to use the combat side of the game. Hopefully in the future a way will be made to remove some or all of these obstacles.

The clues were fun, but I admit that I should have worked on making them a great deal more important in the long run. Also, I should have given more reason for their private nature. Overall, I think they worked well and were a sufficiently motivating reward. With some work they could work really well in a future event.

If I had to rate this event on a scale of 1 to 10, I would say a 6. There certainly was more good than bad, it was enjoyable and enjoyed, and much was learned. With plenty of room for improvement I think we could see some really fun ones at some point.

For now though, I am going to focus on the school semester and taking naps.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:22 pm 
Dev Eyepatch

Faction: Earthen Order

It was a breath of fresh air, don't sell yourself short. Otherwise things in Skyrates are mostly dead with the occasional RP thing going on. Having ANYTHING happen that can revive even a little interest is a good start.

*) Member of the Black Sheep Squadron