It is currently Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Format for Court Meeting
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:09 am 

Faction: Azure League

To: All Official Faction Representatives, the Order
CC: League Event Committee, Burrito Loco, EACC Security Detail

Hiya, Folks,

This is your official invitation to appear as a guest of the Azure League's meeting with the representatives for "the Court" on Arcadia. Thanks for your participation. Please present this letter to the EACC security detail on the Leviathan-based floating security checkpoint to the west of Arcadia. All other traffic will be intercepted. At the checkpoint, you will be given an unarmed Nomad shuttle--which your crew will be able to inspect and pilot--to fly into Arcadian airspace.

The meeting itself will be run according to "The Blue Book: Protocols from the Symposium of Free Ideas," in honor of the Symposia during the great technological awakenings. A great deal of leeway will be given to faction representatives to tailor their presentations, but please note that the participants should consider themselves guest speakers on a League panel, not summit negotiators. By appearing, you agree to abide by the rules as a precondition to remaining at the meeting.

1) Sir Edmund C. Fex, Explorer, will be our moderator as well as a Blue panelist. He'll welcome and introduce the Court and repeat the ground rules.

2) The Court, as the initiators of the meeting, will have up to 10 minutes to make a presentation or speech

3) After that, the other panelists from each faction will have up to 5 minutes per faction to react, ask questions, or make a presentation. The order will be Blue, Green, Red, Yellow (alphabetical). The first faction panelist to speak will introduce him or herself and their companion. Sir Edmund will keep time. ((OOC: if he gets disconnected, I will fill in)).

4) The Court will have up to 10 minutes to respond.

5) The moderator will wrap things up.

6) There is no Number Six. ("I am not a number, I am a free man!")

7) Additional speakers will be allowed, using the same rules, if the Moderator feels that time permits.

8 - As moderator, Fex will be able to jump in as needed with questions or comments or to add or deduct time.

Fly Right, Skyrates,

(watermark attached)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:44 am 

Faction: Flight School
mod·er·a·tor (noun)
the nonpartisan presiding officer of a meeting

While I would normally object to the moderator of this event also acting as a panelist, I have heard nothing but the highest praise in regard to Sir Edmund C. Fex and, as such, I am sure he'll handle his respective duties with utmost care.

((It's really only the matters of adding/deducting time & speakers that I would be concerned about IC.))

On a different note, are you certain that 10 minutes will be enough time for the Court to respond to 20 minutes of prepared questions and presentations?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:26 pm 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

My experience, if it's helpful to anyone, is that it was very useful to have Notepad opened and virtually everything that I might want to say already scripted to just copy and paste, complete with the /me and other formatting bits. I even wrote a bunch of emotes (/me stands, /me nods to niklaas, /me sighs and begins cleaning her nails, etc.) to deploy quickly. At the very least, some opening statements and well phrased questions would be valuable to participants, I think.

I only used about half of what I wrote (sadly, the scenarios in which tactical unobtanium detonations go off, Nero starts to gnaw on Dodgson's leg, or I discover the true meaning of Columbus Day will never make it into the historical record), but I feel it was well worth it in order write in a timely manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:37 pm 
Flight Master

Zabrak! wrote:
or I discover the true meaning of Columbus Day

Darn it. I've always wanted to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:09 pm 
RP Canoneer

Faction: Crimson Armada

Zabrak! wrote:
I only used about half of what I wrote (sadly, the scenarios in which tactical unobtanium detonations go off, Nero starts to gnaw on Dodgson's leg, or I discover the true meaning of Columbus Day will never make it into the historical record), but I feel it was well worth it in order write in a timely manner.

Yeah, it would not have looked good if Nero had done that. But I can think of two reasons he would.

1) He somehow became a zombie on one of his little adventures
2) It was Nero Sr. at the meeting and not Nero Jr. Sr. is getting really old and has cognitive problems. Gnawing on Dodgson's legs would not have been that much out of character for him. But that would be just one thing he would have done. The most likely of events with him would have been shooting Clara with a water gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:19 pm 

Zabrak! wrote:
My experience, if it's helpful to anyone, is that it was very useful to have Notepad opened and virtually everything that I might want to say already scripted to just copy and paste, complete with the /me and other formatting bits.

...I only used about half of what I wrote

The same here. A benefit to being last is to be able to script what you will say and detail them enough to touch on the comments that came before you; I had enough time to tweak my questions and/or scratch things out that others had covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:18 pm 
Developer

Many thanks for hosting us, Blues. Really nice work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:22 pm 

Faction: Azure League

Meh. But thanks, Cal. Sorry I was so short with Green. Felt like I was picking on you guys.

And Diver Dan, yeah, the immoderate moderator was an inside joke between Fex and myself. We have a professor who is notorious for being a partisan moderator. I did honestly think it would work, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:12 pm 

Pierce N.V. Post wrote:
Meh. But thanks, Cal. Sorry I was so short with Green. Felt like I was picking on you guys.

And Diver Dan, yeah, the immoderate moderator was an inside joke between Fex and myself. We have a professor who is notorious for being a partisan moderator. I did honestly think it would work, though.

I'd like to personally compliment all four of our representatives (Dodgson, Taf, Calvin, and Athrawes). I feel that they did an outstanding job representing the Green Faction in both meetings.

Pffttt... Refuse our gift, will she? Why I oughta...