Ends in 2 days 0%
It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:58 pm 
Mentor

Faction: Jade Hand

My opinion on the factions has always been as such:

The Crimson Armada is about Victory, over all else, and at any cost. Provided the Armada is victorious, no price to too grand for them. They'd destroy themselves utterly, provided it meant a military victory for them.

The League is concerned with Freedom, over all. Freedom from rules, regulations, responsibilities, and above all, the freedom to do as they wish. Though, when given the freedom to do as they wish, it's ironic that they tend to do what everyone else is doing.

The Flight Academy's concern is their Ambition. They want, and they want for what they have and don't have. They want for a say in the affairs in the world, but they want to do so without the ties to a faction. Though, as the saying goes, what one wants isn't always what they get.

Which brings me to the Jade Hand. We, as the case is, symbolize Control. We control the trade routes, we control the shares. We control the stock, we control the price. In wartime, we control the victor. In peace, we control freedom, and in the economy, well, we control what people want.

Chancellor Marcus Cunningham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:44 am 
Noted Explorer

Faction: Flight School
I must take issue with your characterization of the League. The better word is Liberty, which manifestly does NOT imply freedom from responsibility. In Blue, each skyrate holds all the responsibility for his or her own actions. Such is the price of the liberty we hold dear. There is no way to diffuse or pass on responsibility as those who operate in hierarchical groups. And it is no slight on us to observe that many among us pursue similar ends to others. What matters to us is that each is free to choose to do so, and willingly accepts consequences of that choice.

Fex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:00 am 

Red:

"Regardless of what we create, we too shall pass away and become dust. But in you, Skylands will live on. And when nothing is left of us, you will hold in your fist, the banner that we tore from nothing! Behind us, there is Skylands!; Ahead of us, are Skylands!; and with us, marches Skylands!"
- Admiral Fuseli addressing the youth of Red Faction

"Who are we? I guess you know. It's we who have the strength to stand between the darkness and the light. The greens call for trade and weave their byzantine alliances, the blues call for ever greater cerebral freedoms, but it is us that lets that freedom happen, and it's us that lets the others get on with their lives. We're the ones with our asses on the line, keeping Skytopia civilised"
- Rick Banner, Captain of Red

"Hah. Reds. Yeah, I've worked with them. Not exactly a bunch that has a sense of humour, if you know what I mean. What's a little grog smuggling, really? Sure, where there's a market, that's where I go. I'm a facilitator. They don't see it that way. So, anyway, you got room aboard your crate before this shot-down tub of mine finally sinks?"
- Garrick Piston, Green Trader

"Reds. Hmmm... yes. They're out there, of course, strutting their stuff in their natty uniforms. No sense of fashion in hats, of course. I've run into one or two that takes offense to unlimited freedom of learning. Some have even expressed outrage at some of the papers I fly. Can you imagine that? Burning books? By Ilso, whatever will be next?"
- Revar del Viso, Blue scholar and book trader

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:52 am 
Mentor

Edmund C. Fex wrote:
I must take issue with your characterization of the League. The better word is Liberty, which manifestly does NOT imply freedom from responsibility. In Blue, each skyrate holds all the responsibility for his or her own actions. Such is the price of the liberty we hold dear. There is no way to diffuse or pass on responsibility as those who operate in hierarchical groups. And it is no slight on us to observe that many among us pursue similar ends to others. What matters to us is that each is free to choose to do so, and willingly accepts consequences of that choice.

Fex

You are well within reason and rights to question or take issue. Liberty to do as one wishes and the freedom to do as one pleases are all but the same. Now we're discussing which word to use when they all mean the same thing. Shall we have a talk or a discussion?

While you take issue with my admittedly overgeneral characterization, you also support it rather nicely. Yes, each member of the League is free to do as they wish, and each member of the League is free from the responsibilities of each other. The crimes of one member of the League have no impact, no repercussion, and no bearing on any other member of the League. What one does, one does because they themselves wish too.

So as you say, each member of the League holds all responsibility for their own actions. The League itself, as a faction, is free from the repercussions of such things, as they are all the actions of a solitary person.

Though bear in mind that the deadliest decisions one can make are those that imply that one chooses to do what they wish, then chooses not to accept responsibility, or chooses to not take the consequences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:29 pm 

That is patently false though.

"Personal freedom becomes a thorny issue when it starts affecting other people, and it cannot be divorced from a sense of responsibility to others. In many cases the actions of one or a few have had far reaching and lasting effects on the whole of Azure, for good or for ill, and try as we might we cannot distance ourselves from those actions. We all know it, we teach it to our new recruits, and it is the only tool we really have to encourage or dissuade any of our number from a given path. We are all free to make our own decisions, yes. But we are also bound by respect, friendship, and responsibility to our flag and our brethren. That is what separates us from a true rabble of individual wills. We are a thousand discordant voices whose murmuring still choruses together at a common purpose."

-Cidane Merkle, Spokesgirl for Full Circle Flight and prominent Blue

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:43 pm 
Mentor

Perhaps I have overgeneralized. First and foremost, if such an over-generalization has offended, then I apologize. Though, I will also point out that thus far, I have been informed twice that my opinion of the faction is wrong, only to have it corrected as "Liberty" instead of "Freedom".

Though, I am grateful for this chance to talk in regards to the faction with furs that I normally don't have the chance to speak with. I may need to go about changing my view.

My opinion of things is that too much freedom allows for beings to view themselves free of responsibility, an issue that has indeed come about in the past where individuals have acted on their own and the entirety of the Faction has suffered due to their actions, their freedom to disregard consequence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:58 pm 

Marcus Cunningham wrote:
My opinion of things is that too much freedom allows for beings to view themselves free of responsibility, an issue that has indeed come about in the past where individuals have acted on their own and the entirety of the Faction has suffered due to their actions, their freedom to disregard consequence.

It's not just personal liberty, but the respect for the personal liberty of others, having its basis in the ancient Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Also formulated as "Love your neighbor as yourself," or any of several other ways of saying the same thing. Which in turn imposes a great deal of responsibility on those who believe in the doctrine. We understand that our actions have consequences that may affect others, and moderate them accordingly, as we would want others to moderate their actions that may affect us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:53 pm 

Not trying to open old wounds or anything, but we are speaking here of factional philosophy rather than perhaps of the ultimate application of said philosophy, yes?

While I'm here...

Red

"In training to command soldiers, one learns the of command, of decisiveness, of responsibility for decisions on a level much greater than that of a civilian. When the business manager makes a poor decision, people lose jobs. When the military commander makes poor decisions, people die. Which would you imagine, then, will make a more dedicated and capable leader?"

Capt. Cartwright Nelson

"If you want the best chance to advance that you can give yourself, join up. When you're out there in the world, that's when you have to deal with all those silly little distinctions that people insist on drawing - man or woman, fox or walrus, Uurwekian or Jordanian... head into combat, though, and you'll be amazed at how quickly those things stop mattering. When there's a squad of Ingers and Bismarks bearing down on your Bolo wing, you don't ask whether the person giving the orders is a woman or a man. You ask whether they are the best person to get you out alive."

Gen. Samara Cohen

Green

The League possesses great thinkers but they also have a certain reluctance to engage in certain forms of information gathering. Additionally, they lack a certain degree of ambition, a quality that Red has too much of. The Guild exemplifies control of such ambition, and a keen focus of our knowledge.
- (Taft as) Guildmistress Dasha Eltsina

There is a turn of phrase among the populace; "It wasn't personal, it's just business." I would like people to realize the true seriousness of this distinction. The wise businessman will cling to this as his motto. The most successful business is conducted when neither party is concerned with feelings, but with the terms. We find too, that this extends to our governance. When we act based on what feels warm, we open ourselves to those who are shrewd enough to take advantage of this. It is only when we remove the personal element that we divest ourselves of arguably the greatest stumbling block to business. Make sure that it's not personal. It's business.
- Trenton Fetelli, Chancellor of the Southern District

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:14 pm 

Freedom regardless of cost, liberty at any price.
- Common slogan of the Reichland Resistance

Mullet is as Mullet does.
- Pretty much everybody. :razz:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:36 am 

Faction: Azure League

The scientists taught us that you cannot kill an idea. We Nomads taught them that free beings fight better than wage slaves, bound by chains of command. Together we found that free beings also produce more and better ideas. And so, with every year that passes, it is harder to tell who started as a scientist and who started as a Nomad. That is Blue Faction.

- Flight Caravan Leader Nadan Blatsky El.

:blue:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:50 pm 

"If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you and may posterity forget that ye were once our countrymen." Unknown Author, Civil War era pamphlet

edit::blue:

Last edited by Unique Character on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:20 pm 

:green: A little more civilized than what you may find elsewhere. Appreciates a fine brandy while making a tidy profit off the peasants' grog.

:blue: The dreams to attempt the impossible and the brains to somehow succeed.

:red: Nobody like a nickle that thinks it's a quarter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:02 pm 
Cinco de Mayo 2014

Faction: Crimson Armada

*To quote Manik*

Blue: One of us.
Red: Smacky Smacky!
Yellow: great Scot! How'd you join us?
Green: o/` Money Money Money Money Money Money..MONEY! o/`
Purple: I'm too deep for you, man. I'm too deep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:35 pm 

"None of the Azurites want to be leaders, they claim. That can be arranged."
-- Zamfredo Trogdelyte, Crimson Armada Cultural Attache', currently posted to Islo.

"Had a few Armada goons inna bar toasting to 'Death before Dishonor!' all night. I thought, great, if that's the order you want it in, I know a guy."
-- Shaggy Voyzek, bartender at "10,000 Leaguers Under the Sky," or "10K," Kadath.

"There is a long tradition of monastic and religious orders preserving and extending knowledge during troubled times. When the Flight School faculty was shaken up, the Order was the most natural home for many of us. You should see the new library on Lhasa."
-- Lay Brother LeGourd Tuberoff, teacher of history.

"I left the League because it had become a haven for recursive arguments and fart jokes."
-- Dismisser of Frivolity, Arcadia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:15 pm 

Pierce N.V. Post wrote:
"Had a few Armada goons inna bar toasting to 'Death before Dishonor!' all night. I thought, great, if that's the order you want it in, I know a guy."
-- Shaggy Voyzek, bartender at "10,000 Leaguers Under the Sky," or "10K," Kadath.

Heh brilliant bub, brilliant.