Register / Log in

Server Costs Dec

Ends in 16 days 0%
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Combat not loading
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:56 am 

Faction: Flight School
I cant seem to get combat to load on any of my browsers... Ive tried ff, ie, edge, and chrome. I'm running Windows 10. :woodman:

Post subject: Re: Combat not loading
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:34 am 

Faction: Azure League

That problem seems to have been around for a couple of years now:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10257

It doesn't appear that anyone ever found a solution.

I have the same problem on one machine, but not on another. Both are running Win 10 64-bit, Chrome, Kaspersky AV, and are on the same network. Weird.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:31 am 

Faction: Flight School
More information.... I ran fiddler and nothing happens after launching combatstarter.php.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:19 pm 
Developer

As I menttioned in the thread linked above...
Calvin wrote:
The challenge has been that we've been unable to reliably and consistently reproduce the problem.

It seems to occur in various browsers, with various versions of Flash, with various OSs and various ISP types/connections.

Perhaps it's tied to the max size of your browser's cache or how full Flash's cache is.
Or it may just how full or busy (or idle) the server is at the moment. Are data packets getting dropped at some critical point between client and server? Is that tracking device the NSA installed for us really causing the trouble (hi, Ned!)?
Does it happen more often with a particular craft, or upgrade, or gun, or gun mod? Some combo thereof?
Maybe the partially implemented Gunner crew member is attempting to load (and failing) due to some specific crew member configuration or settings.
Maybe it's tied to your Skill Tree. How many levels you have in Combat Infamy? How many other your other characters have on the same account (the game wasn't originally built to handle Alts, ya know) and/or what their levels of CI look like?

The Combat Logger is somewhat helpful, but thus far it only tells us what the combat system attempted to do and not always why it failed (issues when we know why it failed have been fixed).

The truth is, we just don't know what's causing the occasional (and for some, repeated) problems loading Combat.
The more data we can get, the more hunches - and at times, rabbit trails - we can follow the better.
I don't know that I even remember how to find & use the Combat Log Decrypter (it's been a long, long time), but I did just remember how to clear your pending Combats (which I have done). That used to sometimes fix it.

And, just fer yer trouble*, I had an old pirate buddy slip some G~'s into your bag-o-cash when you weren't lookin'.

(*And by that I specifically mean having to use Edge.)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:15 am 

FWIW, clearing the pending combats didn't fix the problem. Oh well. Auto-resolve is better at combat than I am, anyway :smile:

Oh, and thanks for the G~'s!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:41 pm 

Combat hasn't been loading tonight. Got an 'authentication missing' error, which is unusual, game asked me to log in. Refreshed the page and the game let me back in (wasn't logged out in the first place), combat still hangs on the loading screen. Maybe related.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:20 pm 

I was unable to get combat to load (on one computer, at least, another, running the same OS and browser could load them). However, after the latest log file purge, I'm able to load combats. Sadly, I still haven't learned how to fight . . .

Buzz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:06 pm 
Developer

See? All it took for for the server to go down for a bit.
Thanks http://www.nouptime.com/ !