Server Costs Oct

Ends in 13 days 0%
It is currently Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: The Big Bombing/Slavery Retcon
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:01 pm 
Combat Guru

Faction: Azure League

One might think that the encountering the Court and Order being a major, historic event would imply these encounters are vanishingly rare. Plus I know for a fact that at least two of the characters from "out there" flew with ease between their home and Skytopia.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 pm 

Faction: Flight School
Aren't the lands outside Skytopia where the dragons, blemmyes and monopodes live?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:36 pm 
Combat Guru

Faction: Azure League

No dragons, only a few blemmyes and you can't prove there are any monopodes, so there.

:woodman:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:36 am 

Faction: Flight School
Narua, as I understand it, is from a small skylet. There are known to be hundreds, if not thousands of these, not on any map, because individually they're unimportant from an economic standpoint. Such skylets are also where the pirates are generally agreed to base from (which is why they can hit you anywhere, anytime).

On those skylets, population (and hence workforce) is tiny because they're not generally self-sustaining. Many are just hardscrabble farming areas with a dirt strip for small-time (NPC) traders to drop by and one or two small profit-making operations (limited mining, crafts, etc). Such impoverished areas don't intermingle much with each other, because flight and fuel are usually prioritized for trade and emergencies rather than socializing.

In that kind of world, yes, slavery as a manpower/economic enhancer becomes tempting. There may even be "plantation" skylets where the natives began as a handful of Cataclysm survivors on a relatively lush chunk...importing labor became the only way to effectively exploit their resources, leading to a "Deep South 1860" mini-society of wannabe petty aristocrats surrounded by slaves and serfs.

Since all of these skylets exist "off-map", and none of the major factions have an interest in policing the "small fry", the primary bar to slavery would be the factional bans --- being found out as a slaver colony can be a skylet's death knell as they find their trade embargoed or impounded, at minimum. Strong generalized anti-slavery sentiment means vigilante raids and quite likely at least one or two organized Imperial attacks to "waste the scum". Fear of such retaliation keeps the slave trade a fringe matter whose proponents are constantly taking steps to avoid detection.

As for myself, true, I made Reichland a major "off-map" skyland...because there are major off-map skylands that can't easily be reached in canon. I also put it a few thousand klicks out from Uurwerk; while plenty of aircraft have the range to make such a flight one-way, no one goes that far unless they know they have a fuel base waiting for them. Yes, I put quite a bit of thought into why Reichland's not part of Skytopia.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:35 pm 
True Friend

Faction: Crimson Armada

The last time I checked, it was the grasslands of an actual skyland Narua was from, which was where my first problems started. I forget which one, but it was definitely a major skyland.