Ends in 14 days 0%
It is currently Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: On the Past
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:35 am 
RP Canoneer

Faction: Crimson Armada

OOC:

Do the Devs have anything created on Magnus and his Prophet? Is there anything on the teaching of these people? Is this one of the things you Devs want us players to create?

I know religion is a touchy subject, but in the case of Magnus I think it could benefit story telling.

There are several players who could kindly and easily put together a set of teachings and if necessary, prophecies. I being the least of these players who can do this.

IC:

Dear Clara,

Now that we have gained a better understanding of each other and our people I would like to learn more about Magnus and his teachings. The knowledge that Skytopia has is very limited as our documents from the past were almost all destroyed.

Could you in a few letters explain some of the more basic principals or the doctrine of Magnus? I would be very grateful to you if you could.

Your Friend,
Nero Shade
Chaplain and Minister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:49 am 

Faction: Flight School
OOC: And I would love to do a loyal resistance type thing, give something for Clara to convert people from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:01 pm 
Guide

Faction: Earthen Order

Dear Nero,

It is always a pleasure to discuss the light of Magnus and his prophet Alcuin. One could easily devote one's life to the teachings (I certainly have). I shall attempt to share some of it with you.

Alcuin The Wise was born in the Barrens, an arid region South of your own. The only method of survival was by foraging and gathering. Most of the knowledge of farming and industry had been lost to time; the only knowledge of the Empire were folk stories of a wonderful lost Kingdom, ruled over by the fair and mighty King Magnus. As a youth, Alcuin was unsatisfied with life. He set out to find a better way. While resting one night in the untamed forest, his campfire suddenly went out sending plumes of smoke into the air. In the moonlight, the cloudy smoke formed together and a giant figure made itself seen.

From the Book of Alcuin
1. And The King Magnus did appear before me, his mighty visage wreathed in smoke and moonlight.
2. The King spoke aloud in a voice like thunder to me, and he did say:
3. "MY CHILD. MY KINGDOM HAS VANISHED FROM THE EARTH. MY PEOPLE HAD BECOME VENAL AND PETTY; THEY CARED MORE FOR VICE AND FOLLY THAN THEIR DUTY AS CITIZENS, AND MY ROAR OF ANGER SHOOK THE EARTH FROM BENEATH THEM."
4. "I GIVE UNTO YOU THEN THIS SECOND KINGDOM, THE KINGDOM OF DIRT. YOU MUST BUILD A NEW KINGDOM FOR ME TO RETURN TO; YOU MUST REMEMBER YOUR CONNECTION TO LIFE, YOUR DUTIES AS CITIZENS."
5. "ON THE DAY WHEN ALL MEN HAVE BECOME CITIZENS OF MY KINGDOM, I SHALL RETURN, AND YOU SHALL LIVE IN A NEW KINGDOM, FREE OF WANT FOR ETERNITY."

The figure spoke to Alcuin for seven days. He did not hunger or thirst, and when he returned to the village, he revealed his sacred knowledge to his people: The secrets of the land and industry. Within two years the village had become prosperous as fields bloomed and the wilderness was tamed. Within five years, the first plane was launched, and Alcuin left to spread his truth to the rest of the Barrens. Everywhere he went the blessings of Magnus, the field and the factory, converted savages to citizens, anarchy to a new kingdom. Order was imposed, and his followers learned how to guide their communities to not only thrive, but to prosper. As Alcuin slept one night, Magnus appeared to him again, with an appearance as of a statue of bronze. He gave Alcuin his second revelation: There existed other lands, lands which had not experienced the light of the new kingdom.

He called on his followers to build great barges to spread his word. It was written, and thus it was done.

Above all else, our faith revolves around the 'duty of citizens,' a phrase that is admittedly vague. Alcuin would later write on the need for community and cooperation. Our lands are a particularly difficult place to live, and as such communities must exercise a great deal of control over their populations to ensure that the overall population survives. Different scholars themselves differ in interpreting how much of this control is itself a criteria for citizenship.

I quote from the 12th chapter of the Book of Ilyana:
4: It must be such that those of ability must direct those who lack.
5. As the farmer guides the plough, so must the skilled guide the unskilled.
6. A farmer cannot hew the earth by hand nor can the plough propel itself by its will alone.
7. Together, each in their place, they are good citizens and may work as one.

From the 3rd chapter of the Book of Calling. A more forceful belief in the role of citizens.
1: Be called to service by those who know the will of Magnus.
2. Be called and follow their directions, even when doing so may lead you to peril.
3. Know that to give your life in such a way is your duty as a citizen, just as those who call know it is their duty to give your life for Magnus.

And from the often debated Book of Whispers.
1. Citizenship cannot be found in books.
2. Citizenship cannot be found in merely following the will of another.
3. Citizenship is not an action or an inaction.
4. It is a force within you that drives your action.
5. Read the works of Alcuin, not because to do so because you wish to become a citizen but because citizenship drives you to know.
6. Perform good for the community, not because you will find Magnus in that way but because Magnus has found you.
7. Citizenship is not a goal, it is a means.

Differing perspectives, and yet all focused upon the idea of what it means to be a citizen.

I do hope this has given you some matters to consider. I look forward to our future correspondence.

Matriarch Clara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:47 am 
RP Canoneer

IC:

Dear Matriarch,

These visions are still leaving open one question that seems to have been debated for as long as knowledge of Magnus's greatness was known. That question is: Is Magnus a God?

I have no problem in believing that, seeing as many of the old gods I have record of were reported to have been mortal. However, I would like to know how he became a god. Was this an award from the gods? Did he attain it through only his own efforts?

If he is not a god, then what god was he representing? It is not uncommon for angels to be those who once lived on this world. In fact one writer went so far as to say all angels were once mortal men who populated this world. If this is the case, was he spirit or in resurrected flesh?

Also, it seems you have many sacred books. Did Alcuin write them all?

This truly seems to be a restoration, and as miraculous as it seems, it only looks to be a restoration of a kingdom of this world. In matter of spiritual things, how is this a restoration of Heavenly Kingdoms? What knowledge we have of heaven and {static} is fragmented, and it is often up to interpretation as to what the writers meant.

I thank you for your response and for the treasure you have revealed to me. It seems as if there are some great things to be learned from your people. I would continue to ask questions in this letter but i fear to overwhelm you with my curiosity.

Your Friend,
Nero Shade
Chaplain and Minister

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:29 am 
Guide

Nero,

The question of the origins of Magnus' divinity are itself a matter of some question, as He did not seek to enlighten Alcuin on the matter. Certainly there have been later prophets who have come claiming to have seen visions, but all of these are to be scrutinized carefully.

Just as the nature of the philosophy is divided, so too are Magnus' origins. Whether he was always a God or only became one after his mortal death are matters to be debated.

Personally, I feel Magnus is a God and has always been such. He took on a mortal life to guide and teach us and then chose to leave us to our own devices.

There are many books to our faith, and Alcuin did not write them all. Others came from later scholars and prophets.

I always welcome questions.

Matriarch Clara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:40 am 

/me wonders about the other books. They all came after Alcuin's?

Do they know about the Anastasius Dynasty? About his mortal life? About Asgard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:53 pm 
Guide

Unique Character wrote:
/me wonders about the other books. They all came after Alcuin's?

Do they know about the Anastasius Dynasty? About his mortal life? About Asgard?

If you are proposing these questions as letter/questions to Clara...

Unique,

All other books came after Alcuin's. His is the first. Regrettably, I have never heard of an Anastasius Dynasty, nor have I heard of Asgard.

Matriarch Clara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:13 pm 

M. Clara

I have two matters I wish your counsel on. One concerns the past, the other the present, both I think may inform our future.

From what little I know historical texts seem central to your society. I wonder if you have archeologists or other experts that are interested in an old mystery. The Kingdom of Magnus may be closer than you think.

Magnus of the Anastasius Dynasty has a history rooted in the skylands of our Skytopia. In fact, Earthbreach (also known as the Throne of Magnus) is rumored to be the seat of his power - the place of the fabled city of Asgard. Sadly, our record of this city and Magnus’ Rule is little more than a whisper. To my knowledge, no artifacts or records from this period remain. I had the recent pleasure to climb the Throne and am eager to do so again. Perhaps a cooperative expedition may yield insight into the real-life story of Magnus.

I enjoyed the excerpts that you shared from the Books of Alcuin, Ilyana, Calling, and Whispers. They stir my curiosity about the history of your people and what is known about the settling of the Barrens.

Finally, I hope you can help me solve a riddle. I found the enclosed cartoon in a Jordan student newspaper. Remy is usually good for a laugh (when he's not throwing lead in my general direction) but the dialog attributed to you goes right over my head. I might find the humor if I understood the references to a "proposal" and "good news".

With respect and eager curiosity,

Unique Character

Enclosure:
Tommy Chong wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:47 pm 
Relic Hunter

/me twitches, as he feels an uneasy chill attacks him suddenly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:46 am 
Guide

Unique Character wrote:
Magnus of the Anastasius Dynasty has a history rooted in the skylands of our Skytopia. In fact, Earthbreach (also known as the Throne of Magnus) is rumored to be the seat of his power - the place of the fabled city of Asgard. Sadly, our record of this city and Magnus’ Rule is little more than a whisper. To my knowledge, no artifacts or records from this period remain. I had the recent pleasure to climb the Throne and am eager to do so again. Perhaps a cooperative expedition may yield insight into the real-life story of Magnus.

We had indeed heard of such a matter and do wish to delve into it. What may not be as known to your people is that the seat of Magnus' power (the area you call Asgard) is not purely delegated to the area of Earthbreach. In the great Cataclysm that consumed our old world, pieces of this famed city were cast to many areas including that of the Barrens.

We would be interested in studying this 'Earthbreach' and comparings its records to our own.

Quote:
Finally, I hope you can help me solve a riddle. I found the enclosed cartoon in a Jordan student newspaper. Remy is usually good for a laugh (when he's not throwing lead in my general direction) but the dialog attributed to you goes right over my head. I might find the humor if I understood the references to a "proposal" and "good news".

I am afraid I am not entirely sure of the context of this. My apologies.

Matriarch Clara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:52 am 

I hope the Matriarch Clara has a sense of humor when it comes to political jokes.

/me smiles worriedly but hopefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:24 am 
Relic Hunter

/me buries his face in the slightly crumpled newsprint on his desk. Paws grabbing his headfur in frustration.

"I'm screeeeeeeewed!"

/me looks up at Xenos for a moment, and dives back in. Knocking the desk with his forehead for the umpteenth time.

"I'm so screeeeeeeewed!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:43 pm 

M. Clara,

If there are artifacts from Asgard that are known in your world, perhaps they can help narrow our focus on Earthbreach. Please describe these "pieces" found in the Barrens. Also, what other areas have these remnants?

I've searched the records concerning Earthbreach in our main library; references to the ruins are clear - they are located at the peak. I will confer with the Governor of Earthbreach and secure the appropriate permissions. I will respond once I have secured confirmation that the upper gun turret has been powered down. A team can then be safely dropped at the base camp located there.

Regards,

Unique Character

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:48 pm 

T. Chong,

I read a comic strip under your by-line "relic-hunter". I liked the comic but didn't catch all the subtleties.

I hope that you can join me at the tavern on Earthbreach for a meal soon. I'd like to talk you about an exciting relic-hunt and maybe you can explain the joke.

Yours,

Unique Character

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:29 pm 
Explorer

Faction: Azure League

/me heartily seconds the deactivation of the guns...

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:17 am 
Relic Hunter

Unique Character,

The comic strip is meant to be an in-joke between Flightschoolers and it's never been my intention for it to hit the local newspaper. No idea how it happened.

I can explain a bit about that comic strip as per your request, but unfortunately I'm grounded for the moment... The Echo university would like to have no more trouble from me.

I suppose we can still have a little discussion through mail.

Yours,

Tommy Y.R. Chong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:00 am 
Guide

Quote:
If there are artifacts from Asgard that are known in your world, perhaps they can help narrow our focus on Earthbreach. Please describe these "pieces" found in the Barrens. Also, what other areas have these remnants?

I shall see about requesting the information from our archives.

Quote:
I've searched the records concerning Earthbreach in our main library; references to the ruins are clear - they are located at the peak. I will confer with the Governor of Earthbreach and secure the appropriate permissions. I will respond once I have secured confirmation that the upper gun turret has been powered down. A team can then be safely dropped at the base camp located there.

A note, while the ruins may indeed be at the peak, our studies have found that so much more information can be found within the ground itself.

Matriarch Clara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:41 am 

M. Clara,

Buried treasure you say? Interesting.

Governor Kincaid has agreed to permit an expedition. A team from the Earthbreach Council will be selected to join us. The turret will be turned off to allow a safe landing.

I'll be at Earthbreach later today to set up a supply camp and lab. Please feel free to join me there as soon as you are ready. We'll be waiting on the Council's team before we can ascend.

Unique Character

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:29 am 

[Earthbreach: Expedition Lab]

Unique Chracter looks around; everything seems to be in order.

A wide assortment of laboratory equipment is set up on several long benches. At one end is a big table with several chairs and a blank slate.

She takes a chair out to the doorway of sturdy canvas that covers the lab. She sets it down and seats herself. She rolls a cigarette and waits for the others to arrive.

[ooc]
Any skyrate interested in playing along please join in the fun.
[/ooc]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:11 am 

/me twiddles her thumbs, then pens off another note to Matrtiarch Clara. It reads as follows:

###
M. Clara,

Still waiting at Earthbreach lab for your ground crews. I suppose I'll get started here. Give the authorization code: "expedition" to the security detail and they'll turn off the big gun so that your crew can land.

Unique Character
###

She chats with the pencil pushers and geeks from the Earthbreach Council. Together they plot an ascent path and and pack light gear for the day.

Half way up the slope they reach a new road cut by a maintenance team. One of the Council crew whispers something to the others and they tell her this is where they'll stop.

Figuring this is as good a place as any, she starts turning over rocks. She's not exactly sure what she's looking for but she's pretty sure she'll know it when she sees it.