Server Costs Mar

Ends in 13 days 0%
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Grimby
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:16 am 
Apprentice

Faction: Flight School
I think this would be the right place to ask. What are the offical rules of grimby and is it Grimby season now? I would like to know for RP purposes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:42 am 

We...Grimby...League...

Yes!

Let's start a Grimby league! I don't even care what the rules are. This sounds like it'd be an awesome RP event.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:22 am 
RP Guide

Where's Thorne when you need him?

Oh well, here's most everything we know about Grimby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 am 

Go Nomads!

:point:

:blue:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:58 am 
Dev Eyepatch

Admirals FTW.

:red: :thumbs: :woodman:

Post subject: Re: Grimby
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:09 am 
Roof

Faction: Crimson Armada

Giul Thunderstrike wrote:
I think this would be the right place to ask. What are the offical rules of grimby and is it Grimby season now? I would like to know for RP purposes.

Interesting that you should ask, as just yesterday I posted something on our private forums asking for people's help fleshing something out related to Grimby.

There are many official rules of Grimby but the jist is:

Quote:
The object of the game is to keep the ball in play and in bounds. Teams are traditionally 6 members (1 pilot [captain], 4 wingmen [fielders], and 1 Navigator/TailGunner [goalie]), but can be played with smaller or larger groups depending upon the size of the individual Ball Court and team style. Wingmen are further divided into Props and Gunners, and labeled by whether they are fixed along a line (Tight) or free to roam/take orders from the pilot/navi (Loose).

Points can be scored in two ways, either driving the ball into the opposing teams "goal" (scores 1 point), or managing to get the ball through one of the two vertical rings (scores 3 points). The game is played until one team scores 8 points. This is not as easy as it sounds, as there are also many factors which can deduct points.

Players are allowed to keep the ball in the air using any body part except their hands (from wrists to fingers) and feet (from ankles to toes). Players usually wear protective guards on shins, arms, and sometimes elbows/knees. Goalies wear the most protective wear, but usually keep their arms uprotected to allow them freedom of movement.

The game begins when the home team tosses out the ball to start play. They can either begin with a high toss or a low roll. Players of one team may only hit the ball from their side of the court, however, they may cross the divider line after hitting the ball to carry out their momentum from hitting the ball, or simply to get out of the way so another may hit the ball. It is a penalty of a point if you hit the ball twice in a row.

Teams are allowed to let the ball bounce no more than twice on their side before returning the serve. A team loses a point when a player of that team hits the ball out of turn; knocks the ball out of bounds; touches the ball with their hands or feet; hits the ball twice before it has gone back across the center line, or lets the ball stop moving before it reaches the center line.

The team that first scores eight points wins. If both teams end up having the same number of points after a turn, both sides begin again from zero. One record-setting game reputedly lasted for eight days but most modern games are stopped after about three hours.

It is NOT Grimby season right now.

There was a huge overhaul of work that needed doing shortly after Season 1 ended and there was really nowhere near enough volunteer help to get it all done. So Grimby got shelved for awhile because little progress was being made. Then with the start of this round, especially given the Tyrian issue, I have not had a lot of time to focus on developing Grimby.

But recently I had some time on my hands and thought I'd at least get the bare bones skeleton up and running, even if it wasn't exactly everything I'd hoped Season 2 would be. I asked for some help over on Red's offsite forums and am getting the usual lack of volunteers, but it's okay I'm determined to finish this section on my own. Then I have to go through and do team weakness and strengths, followed by the schedule, followed by the Free Agents (the former starting lineup (cept the Captain) of last year's winners, the Lhasa Immortals). Then it'll be ready to run. I don't know when that will be, though. Summer? When a reset happens more than likely, because a reset would give me more time to work on it and a Grimby (regular) season is 14 weeks long, and then there's the Grimby SkyCup.

Certainly if you're interested in Grimby for RP, there is a new list of team names that are not yet in the Skybrary. The following list is just team names, but there is a more detailed list being created from which I've included one sample (Cidade Central Core United).

Here is the updated team list:

The Vermilion Division:
1. Fuseli - Admirals
2. Tortuga - Cutthroats
3. Arcadia - Virtus
4. Lhasa - Immortals
5. Isla di Pisa - Skystoners
6. New Hovland - Naturals
7. Alpha 4 - Smokies
8. Shriebeck - Miners

The Cerulean Division:
1. Islo - Navigators
2. Alpha 5 - Whirlwinds
3. Luz - Voyagers
4. Goldenrod - Vagabonds
5. Phillipia - Nomads
6. Kadath - Ancients
7. Olio - Easterners
8. Juliet - Princes

The Jade Division:
1. Eltsina - Intrepids
2. Aleut - Yeti
3. Gonk - Snowcones
4. Volstoy - Furies
5. Tinkspoit - Hermits
6. Alpha 1 - Primals
7. Alpha 2 - Defenders

The Center Division:
1. Earthbreach - Magnites
2. Sharif - Lanterns
3. Romeo - Brewmasters
4. Getty - Phantoms
5. Tehras - Knights
6. Midgard - Imperials
7. Alpha 3 - Cudgels

The Gold Division:
1. Echo - Graduates
2. Leng - Monks
3. Jordan - Rapids
4. Valvia - Blades

5. Cidade - Central Core United (CCU)
Team Roster, plus two reserves (8): Alexander Krias (P), Robi Shrike (LG), Trogon Bertzly (RG), Macaul D'Artagnan (LP), Valentino Demario (TP), Wesley Baylyn (N), Calico Jack (R), and Stone Craven (R)
Team Colors: White, Gold, Green
Team Profile: See the post below (a lot simpler than a whole thread to wade through)
Ball Court: "Center Court"
--U/C/I?: Covered
--Floor: Stone
--Corridor: Average
--Walls: Low
--Weather
----Temperature: Fair (0)
----Conditions: -1
----Precipitation: N/A (Covered)
--Notes:
This is typically believed to be the easiest of the professional Ball Courts, because it has hard, smooth stone floors, and almost horizontel "walls" that allow players to get much closer to the Rings, thus allowing much faster scoring. It is also covered, so they do not suffer the negative effects of bad weather, although heavy winds can sometimes still cause problems.

6. Steppe - Skylanders
7. Uurwerk - Robots
8. Grottopolis - Glimmers

Enjoy!

Thorne

Last edited by Thorne on Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: TY!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:08 pm 
Apprentice

Thanks for all the info. I'm interested in this sport.

Also. GO VOYAGERS!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:16 pm 
RP Guide

Heck yes Cutthroats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:47 pm 

Go Admirals! Woooo~

:red: :red: :red:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:49 pm 

Imperials rule!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:02 pm 
Roof

I am the owner of the Leng Monks, and I predict that they will do very well. If they do not, then I will make the team captain walk the plank off the side of Leng.

Thorne
They shouldn't be able to do any worse than last season. Tied for 35th out of 38 teams. Only two teams were worse. Why do you think they were so cheap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 pm 

Quote:
The SGA Professional League is comprised of thirty-eight teams, each representing a skyland. The teams are placed into five divisions based on location and traditional factional alignment.

Would it be too unreasonable to recommend two new leagues? Yes in the realignment, The Court of Violets were considered, but not The Earthen Order. Just in fairness am I making this post.

I don't RP and I didn't know of Grimby until I came across this post. So it's no big deal to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:04 am 
Roof

Fireborn wrote:
Quote:
The SGA Professional League is comprised of thirty-eight teams, each representing a skyland. The teams are placed into five divisions based on location and traditional factional alignment.

Would it be too unreasonable to recommend two new leagues? Yes in the realignment, The Court of Violets were considered, but not The Earthen Order. Just in fairness am I making this post.

I don't RP and I didn't know of Grimby until I came across this post. So it's no big deal to me.

Actually the "divisions" were created long before the Legacy event or any mention of the Court or Order, and are largely based on last round's map which was much more territorial. I'm loathe to waste my time rearranging things now when things could look completely different again next round (when season 2 will likely run). For now I think I'll leave them as they are, but that could change, there's awhile before season 2 runs. Just as the devs have made the map less territorial, the game will also not be politicized each season.

Regarding the colors of the Divisions.... Originally the "Center Division" was white, but it was hard to read. Only color left really was purple so it made sense to change it. You will notice however that it's still "Center Division" and not "Amethyst Division." As for the "Gold Division" it was also created before Brown, and during a time when Flight School was active. However, I stylize Brown as Gold frequently, so to me there is already a Brown section up there.

Thorne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:09 am 
Roof

Just realized the link I gave for the team profile links to the thread and not just to the one post, which is kindof inconvenient. So here's the team profile, so you can see what those look like.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<Voice Over>
Welcome back to RRC's Money Talk with your host, Ray Dibbs.

Ray Dibbs: "Welcome back everybody. Next up on Money Talk is the formation of the Central Core United business. Some of the biggest names on the Intercambio Stock Exchange are involved in this new mega corporation / Grimby team. Here to discuss the business side of it, Rick Celion. Rick, what can you tell us?"

Rick Celion: "Well, Ray, there's a lot of pressure on these boys to perform well. The CCU plans a merchandizing blitz and to do that they're going to need to be able to build enough buzz about the team. They're doing a good job so far by picking up Alexander Krias and they have the fans sympathy because of the demise of the local team."

RD: "Would you say this is a good investment or a bad investment for the individual furry?"

RC: "To put it simply, Ray, there's a lot of risk involved, but as usual in circumstances like this the reward stands to be very high. If the CCU is successful, they stand to make a lot of money. However, there's just as much of a chance that history will repeat itself and the team will be doomed to failure. The stock analysts on Cidade are going crazy over this one, you can be sure."

RD: "Financially, what do you see as the biggest danger?"

RC: "I think the worst case scenario that the board members of the CCU are imagining would involve a rocky first half of the season, which might scare away investors. If the investors start dumping their shares, the value will drop and it'll be hard for them to get that interest back."

RD: "I see. Well, thanks a lot for giving us your perspective."

RC: "Thank you, Ray."

RD: "Next on the line, we've got the CCU's team Pilot, Alexander Krias. Alex, welcome to the show."

Alex Krias: "Thanks, it's great to be here, Ray."

RD: "I know you must be tired of the questions by now, but what are your feelings about 6 of the Immortals' starting line going Free Agent? A lot of people are calling them greedy."

AK: "Look, these guys were my teammates. I might not agree with the choices they've made, but that doesn't mean I'm going to talk trash about them on radio."

RD: "Well I guess since one of your bosses owns this radio station you can say whatever you please, right?" <laughs> "And what about Immortals team Pilot Marcel Renault?"

AK: "What about him? The entire League knows we had problems. It was no secret that I wanted more playing time, but as long as Marcel kept the team on that winning streak he had going, I didn't have a shot. Winning the SkyCup was the icing on the cake for me, I knew then I wouldn't get to play next season."

RD: "You were a new draftee with a lot of potential and he was the older experienced Pilot. Do you think that if the starting lineup had not become Free Agents that you still would have been traded?"

AK: "Definitely not. I had asked to be traded near the end of the season, but was told they were going to keep me around in case Renault had an injury."

RD: "That must have been frustrating."

AK: "You can say that again. Especially after Week 13's games against New Hovland. In the first game Marcel bruised his ankle and was forced out. I took over and led us to victory. I was supposed to start again the next day, but Marcel insisted he was okay and that he retake the field. He forced himself to play on his bad ankle and it cost us the game. I don't ever wanna be part of a team like that again. That's why I'm glad to be with such a great coach as Bobby Morgan."

RD: "He's a great guy isn't he? He doesn't take any guff from anybody."

AK: "He's tough with the press, but he has to be. He's a great coach and a wonderful mentor. It's amazing that the Tehras Knights released him from his contract."

RD: "I agree, fifth place might not be first, but it seems a little ungrateful to let him go over that. Well, thanks for coming on our show, I know a lot of investors are going to be watching your games. This season it won't just be the bookies and gamblers making money, will it, Alex?"

AK: <laughs> "Definitely not Ray."

RD: "Tell me one last thing before we go, Alex."

AK: "Sure thing."

RD: "Do they give you guys stock options?"

AK: <laughs loudly again> "I'll have to bring that up with Bobby."

RD: <also laughing> "Okay everybody, that's all we've got on RRC's Money Line tonight. Next up, Hurricane Lionel sweeping in the from the South, will there be an evacuation?"

Quick Factsheet

Team Name: Central Core United (C.C.U.)
Mascot: The Core Ball (metallic Grimby ball)
Colors: White, Gold, Green
Fan Group: The Ballers
Motto: "May the Colors of Currency Never Run"
Team Song: None
Personalities of note:
Arthur McNibles - Owner, CEO - Race: Mouse
Bobby Morgan - Head Coach - Race: Bear
Alexander Krias - #23 - Position: Pilot - Race: Boar

Traditions (the CCU has decided to continue the Mets traditions):
Team Pilot always wears the number 23.
Goalie leads the team onto the field, Pilot is last.
Away jersey is inverted to Black, Gold, Green (white numbers/lettering) for away games.
Cash prizes are given to the audience when a 3 point shot is made.

History Snapshot:

The Cidade Central Core United Grimby team rose from the ashes of the Cidade Metropolitans. Arturous Wellesly, the previous owner of the Cidade Mets, is known in most circles as an eccentric and rich playferret. He purchased the sports team for the glamour and increased fame that would come from a winning professional sports team. When the Cidade Mets came in 24th out of 38 teams he was reportedly furious, instantly announcing to the press that he would be shutting down the franchise.

Residents and fans were outraged. One of them, a mouse named Arthur McNible was also the CEO of Cidade General Electrics and Radio. In an unprecedented event, Arthur managed to convince not only his own companies shareholders, but six other major Skytopian Corporations to invest in a new Grimby team representing the entire Central Core, with Cidade as their base. Rumors abound that Arthur has guaranteed a specific amount of profit to the board members of the newly formed company, the Central Core United. The CCU is a publicly traded business; owning a majority of 51% stake in the Central Core United Grimby Team are a group of six (6) businesses. The CCU's board members and CEO are made up of one representative from each of the charter businesses. Charter businesses of the CCU include:

--- (as listed on the Intercambio Stock Exchange (ISE)) ---
Cidade General Electrics & Radio (SGER) - based on Cidade
Hoover Heavy Industries (HHI) - based on Cidade
O'Doyle Breweries (ODB) - based on Alpha 3
Jordan Rail Transit (JRT) - based on Jordan
Agricultural Association of Steppe and Sharif (AASS) - based on Steppe/Sharif
Wind Blade Technologies (WBT) - based on Valvia

The CCU's first move was to recruit three of the better members of the old Cidade Metropolitans team. Besides one other player, the CCU's board decided to fill out the rest of the team with newly drafted Grimby players. The one player they did pick up, however, was Alexander Krias, former backup Pilot for the Lhasa Immortals. Shortly after the Lhasa Immortals won the first Grimby SkyCup, it was announced that six of their seven starters would become Free Agents, tradeable to the highest bidder during the majority of the Grimby regular season. The only player to remain loyal was the team Pilot, Marcel Renault. Lhasa's second string Pilot, Alexander Krias, was very vocal about wanting to play more games during last season, causing some tension with Renault. Because the Immortals needed money and good trades to rebuild their team, they eagerly traded Krias to the CCU when the CCU made a generous offer. The CCU looks confidently to Krias to lead the Central Core United to victory. Krias himself has much to prove.

Color Swatch

Jersey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:13 pm 

Analysis: Grimby Gameplay
To: Albrecht Speir, Reichland Imperial Ministry of Labor
Fm: Franz Todt, Reichland Imperial Ministry of Commerce
Internal: NOT FOR PUBLIC CONSUMPTION
DECLASSIFIED (date and signature)

Minister Speir:

As trade has increased with neighboring Uurwerk, word has reached my department of subversive activities associated with a Skytopian pastime known as "Grimby". My operatives have detained certain persons associated with your department for support and dissemination of this waste of critical supplies as well as labor.

In order that this may not repeat itself, a copy of the rules have been attached to this missive, as well as an examination of the actual state and strategies of essential "game play", in order that it may be identified and properly suppressed even if appearing in mutated form.

BASIC GAMEPLAY
As you can see in the rules, striking the ball with hands, wrists, ankles or feet is prohibited. As a result, striking power is most commonly provided by head-butting the ball.

Alternately, gymnastic manuevers have been observed being used whereby a striker will flip or twist their body in order to provide the proper thrust from an extremity such as the shin, thigh, forearm or even shoulder. A popular non-gymnastic tactic is simply to join the forearms together and either "bat" (with the underside) or "bop" (with the topside) to send the ball alternately low or high into enemy territory. Other, less powerful non-gymnastic "touches" to the ball are generally used to pass it from one player to another.

You will note, however, that only one thing is illegal: striking the ball while on the opposing team's territory. It appears to be a source of some contention as to whether or not being hit with the ball by someone else, while on the other side of the line, is acceptable. As such, a player could deliberately interfere with an opposing team on their side of the line, blocking enemy ball strikes while making no strikes of his own.

POINT SCORING
This minor controversy aside, the point-penalty system actually makes many illegal moves acceptable...another problem with allowing this game to garner support locally, as it would suggest a subconscious acceptance for "bending the rules".

Example: Player A stops the ball, then lines up and kicks it with his foot...directly into the opposing team's vertical ring (though this would nonetheless be a difficult shot, the ring being so small). While he would be penalized two points for the ball stop and foot kick, he would earn three points for the ring shot, for a net gain of one point. Do you see the potential sociopolitical ramifications?

STRATEGY
There is, admittedly, significant basic strategy to the game. Since the enemy goal, or ring, must be struck by a single shot from behind the dividing line, the ball has a long way to go in order to score a point. It may be intercepted anywhere along that path, and there is a goaltender specifically meant to stop any such strikes from scoring.

This therefore requires the striking team to distract the enemy through complex passing techniques in order to draw his resources to one side or another of the field, allowing a quick pass to the opposite side followed by a sudden strike during the brief period the defenses from that angle have been neglected. A team must therefore husband its personnel, since covering all possible avenues of attack will leave them incapable of setting up the passing patterns needed to penetrate the enemy defenses.

"Mutual defense" is often used when one or both teams are physically exhausted, with desultory strikes being made back and forth with no real expectation of a score. It is rumored that teams may even engage in a "truce" during long games to allow some players to leave the field in order to obtain nourishment and sleep! Such laziness!

SUMMARY ANALYSIS
While bearing, thusly, a potential in terms of subconscious military tactical training, teamwork development, and fitness, it has been shown that these gains would be inferior to those provided by existing Imperial programs. The Ministry of Fitness in particular has denounced the game as chaotic, with the obvious problem that its benefits would develop in an asymmetric and non-uniform fashion. This can only bring about a devolution of existing regimens.

As such, the Ministry of Fitness has petitioned my office for the transfer of your personnel from my custody, to be followed by trial and execution as provided for under Imperial Code 79-A. I am afraid this is out of my hands; please contact Minister Pfeiffen with any further inquiries.

In Service, (signature)

Last edited by Gunnar Matheson on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:33 pm 
Roof

Excellent IC post, allow me a bit of OOC so people do not become confused about the finer points of this great game :)

Gunnar Matheson wrote:
BASIC GAMEPLAY
As you can see in the rules, striking the ball with hands, wrists, ankles or feet is prohibited. As a result, striking power is most commonly provided by head-butting the ball.

Alternately, gymnastic manuevers have been observed being used whereby a striker will flip or twist their body in order to provide the proper thrust from an extremity such as the shin, thigh, forearm or even shoulder. A popular non-gymnastic tactic is simply to join the forearms together and either "bat" (with the underside) or "bop" (with the topside) to send the ball alternately low or high into enemy territory. Other, less powerful non-gymnastic "touches" to the ball are generally used to pass it from one player to another.

Most commonly head-butting? LoL Most common is certainly using the forearms to setup a shot, and the second is similar to a spike in volleyball, delivered with the front of the forearms in a hammer-like motion. Those are probably two of the most common shots. The second, hammer-like, forearm shot can also be used to drive the ball straight down court into the net or through one of the mid-court rings. Players *are* also able to utilize their knees, legs and shins to control the ball, and can still perform acrobatic feats like bicycle kicks, only using the shins instead. They are only allowed to hit the ball once and then someone else must touch it before they can again make contact.
Also, something you didn't touch on, players also bounce the ball off the walls using rebound to set each other up as many Grimby courts have steep or vertical walls. Other courts have *very* low walls that players can actually stand on and use as more court.

Quote:
You will note, however, that only one thing is illegal: striking the ball while on the opposing team's territory.

Actually there are many things that are illegal: touching the ball while on the opposite team's side of the court, as you mentioned, but also touching the ball more than once before someone else has touched it, letting the ball bounce more than twice on your side, if a player knocks the ball out of bounds (or off a skylet, heh), striking the ball with hands or feet, and physically hitting/attacking members of the opposing team.

Quote:
It appears to be a source of some contention as to whether or not being hit with the ball by someone else, while on the other side of the line, is acceptable.

If Player from Team A crosses the center line as he follows through with a strike, say a line drive to a player on a Team B, and that player, Player B, hits a line drive right back to Player A it makes any contact with A at all before he can get back across the center line and his team has lost a point. It can definitely be done purposefully, which is why Grimby coaches are always yelling at practices to hustle back across.

Quote:
As such, a player could deliberately interfere with an opposing team on their side of the line, blocking enemy ball strikes while making no strikes of his own.

Wouldn't happen for the above reason. :)

Quote:
POINT SCORING
This minor controversy aside, the point-penalty system actually makes many illegal moves acceptable...another problem with allowing this game to garner support locally, as it would suggest a subconscious acceptance for "bending the rules".

Example: Player A stops the ball, then lines up and kicks it with his foot...directly into the opposing team's vertical ring (though this would nonetheless be a difficult shot, the ring being so small). While he would be penalized two points for the ball stop and foot kick, he would earn three points for the ring shot, for a net gain of one point. Do you see the potential sociopolitical ramifications?

In this situation what would happen is that Player A's team would be penalized 2 points for the ball stop and foot *touch* at which time the game will be stopped by the referees, and if the ball was kicked and did go through a 3 point ring, no points would be awarded.

Quote:
STRATEGY
There is, admittedly, significant basic strategy to the game. Since the enemy goal, or ring, must be struck by a single shot from behind the dividing line, the ball has a long way to go in order to score a point. It may be intercepted anywhere along that path, and there is a goaltender specifically meant to stop any such strikes from scoring.

This therefore requires the striking team to distract the enemy through complex passing techniques in order to draw his resources to one side or another of the field, allowing a quick pass to the opposite side followed by a sudden strike during the brief period the defenses from that angle have been neglected. A team must therefore husband its personnel, since covering all possible avenues of attack will leave them incapable of setting up the passing patterns needed to penetrate the enemy defenses.

"Mutual defense" is often used when one or both teams are physically exhausted, with desultory strikes being made back and forth with no real expectation of a score. It is rumored that teams may even engage in a "truce" during long games to allow some players to leave the field in order to obtain nourishment and sleep! Such laziness!

:) Only Kadath's ball court is like that! hahaha Normal ball courts are much small than I think you are envisioning. Think more the size of an longer volleyball court and game. Cept there is no net at center court, just a line, hoops (rings) at center court, there's soccer like nets at both ends, and the floor is polished wood like a shiny basketball court. And the way you play is sortof volleyball plus soccer plus (meso-american) handball.

Quote:
SUMMARY ANALYSIS
While bearing, thusly, a potential in terms of subconscious military tactical training, teamwork development, and fitness, it has been shown that these gains would be inferior to those provided by existing Imperial programs. The Ministry of Fitness in particular has denounced the game as chaotic, with the obvious problem that its benefits would develop in an asymmetric and non-uniform fashion. This can only bring about a devolution of existing regimens.

As such, the Ministry of Fitness has petitioned my office for the transfer of your personnel from my custody, to be followed by trial and execution as provided for under Imperial Code 79-A. I am afraid this is out of my hands; please contact Minister Pfeiffen with any further inquiries.

In Service, (signature)

You so wish you were Red :remygrin:
:red: :red: :red:

Thorne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:06 pm 

Thorne wrote:
In this situation what would happen is that Player A's team would be penalized 2 points for the ball stop and foot *touch* at which time the game will be stopped by the referees, and if the ball was kicked and did go through a 3 point ring, no points would be awarded.

Awwww. I like Gunnar's way better: Risk points for dangerous skill shot. We will play that variant on Reichland I think.

P.S. Hey look everyone! Thorne compared the Armada to an oppresive totalitarian government whose militaristic policies, ostensibly for the public good, were so hated that its own citizens rose up to overthrow it at the first opportunity. Straight from the ferret's mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:07 pm 

Thorne wrote:
Excellent IC post, allow me a bit of OOC so people do not become confused about the finer points of this great game :)

No problem: relegate any errors or omissions to the fact that the article is by a Ministry official who has no direct experience with the game, and only has dealt with it by second-hand reports. Moreover, Reichland at the time of writing had no direct contact with Skytopia except through Uurwerk, so the "Reichlander style" is a completely bastardized version. It was also played in secret, being outlawed, so "tournament rules" would remain yet another "alien influence" to be shunned. =:)

Quote:
Most commonly head-butting? LoL

As observed on Reichland, which is heavy in giraffe population. The whip-action possible via the neck makes head-butting a powerful option.

Quote:
Most common is certainly using the forearms to setup a shot, and the second is similar to a spike in volleyball, delivered with the front of the forearms in a hammer-like motion.

This begs the question: how big is the pitch? It has to be at least big enough for half a dozen players to manuever on either side of the dividing line, plus enough space for the ball to bounce twice. Of course, if the ball can be bounced off the walls, as you later pointed out, that's not really a problem, but then how does a ball go "out of bounds"? It would seem that walls might be optional, which would suggest that a pitch still has to be big enough for a ball to bounce twice without going entirely dead.

Quote:
Actually there are many things that are illegal: touching the ball while on the opposite team's side of the court, as you mentioned, but also touching the ball more than once before someone else has touched it, letting the ball bounce more than twice on your side, if a player knocks the ball out of bounds (or off a skylet, heh), striking the ball with hands or feet, and physically hitting/attacking members of the opposing team.

Okay, changing from "hit" to "touch" clarifies a lot. =:) But I'd point out that if a team or player is willing to take the point loss, most of these "illegal" moves can be engaged in deliberately on the premise that they would prevent or allow a three-point ring score. Another example would be a player blocking a ring shot with a hand, taking the one-point penalty in order to prevent a three-point gain for the opposing team.

Quote:
If Player from Team A crosses the center line as he follows through with a strike, say a line drive to a player on a Team B, and that player, Player B, hits a line drive right back to Player A it makes any contact with A at all before he can get back across the center line and his team has lost a point. It can definitely be done purposefully, which is why Grimby coaches are always yelling at practices to hustle back across.

Well that settles that! =:D

Quote:

Ah, there we have it: there was no indication previously that the game could or would be stopped. Does it require successive penalties (two or more before getting the ball across the line) to stop play, or just one? How does play resume, by ball throw from the opposing team?

Which brings me to a point I'd wanted to make in the "memo", but couldn't really find a place it would naturally fit: a "low roll" is allowed to put a ball into play, but without the ability to kick it short of a penalty, the only tactic that comes to mind is an opposing player dropping to their knees in order to allow the ball to roll up their shin or thigh...or possibly, sliding in from the side to pop the ball up.

High throw would have benefit of pushing the ball deep into the opposing backfield, while low roll would likely be intercepted relatively near the dividing line, of course, so there's that strategy to consider as well.

Quote:
Normal ball courts are much small than I think you are envisioning.

I'd hope so! Given the size of the teams and the apparent rules of play, I was thinking basketball court.

Quote:
Think more the size of an longer volleyball court and game. Cept there is no net at center court, just a line, hoops (rings) at center court, there's soccer like nets at both ends, and the floor is polished wood like a shiny basketball court. And the way you play is sortof volleyball plus soccer plus (meso-american) handball.

The rings are center-court? High up and tiny, then? Otherwise it'd seem a very easy shot. I was actually envisioning soccer-like goals with the rings perched atop them.

Quote:
You so wish you were Red :remygrin:

If they ever made Reichland an official skyland and/or faction, it would be Gray. =:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:45 pm 
True Friend

this is what the court looks like:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:01 pm 
Roof

Gunnar Matheson wrote:
No problem: relegate any errors or omissions to the fact that the article is by a Ministry official who has no direct experience with the game, and only has dealt with it by second-hand reports. Moreover, Reichland at the time of writing had no direct contact with Skytopia except through Uurwerk, so the "Reichlander style" is a completely bastardized version. It was also played in secret, being outlawed, so "tournament rules" would remain yet another "alien influence" to be shunned. =:)

Quote:
Most commonly head-butting? LoL

As observed on Reichland, which is heavy in giraffe population. The whip-action possible via the neck makes head-butting a powerful option.

Hmm... indeed. I'd thought about the greater dexterity of anthro's, but I'm always looking at the giraffe avatar and I forget that they have long necks. :) hahaha Definitely good for bumping a Grimby ball.

Quote:
This begs the question: how big is the pitch? It has to be at least big enough for half a dozen players to manuever on either side of the dividing line, plus enough space for the ball to bounce twice. Of course, if the ball can be bounced off the walls, as you later pointed out, that's not really a problem, but then how does a ball go "out of bounds"? It would seem that walls might be optional, which would suggest that a pitch still has to be big enough for a ball to bounce twice without going entirely dead.

A ball can go out of bounds most commonly by being hit over the wall top and into the stands. Frequently that top part of vertical, steep, and regular sloped walls are the best seats at the court. Another way is to be driving the ball down court towards the nets and miss... nowhere for the ball to go but out.

Oddly enough the walls are optional, although it does remove an element from the game. And your guess at around the size of a basketball court is right on the money.

Quote:
Okay, changing from "hit" to "touch" clarifies a lot. =:) But I'd point out that if a team or player is willing to take the point loss, most of these "illegal" moves can be engaged in deliberately on the premise that they would prevent or allow a three-point ring score. Another example would be a player blocking a ring shot with a hand, taking the one-point penalty in order to prevent a three-point gain for the opposing team.

The rings are on the center line and if a player crosses the line to block he'll lose a point for his team. Why shoot for a hard shot though when you could more easily hit the big target for 1 point. Must easier than scoring a goal in the net. And yeah, maybe it's not 3, but it's a guaranteed 1. :) I guess from the blocking team's perspective it could be worthwhile on a court where the 3's are easier to hit (and also easier to block) like on low walls.

Quote:
Quote:

Ah, there we have it: there was no indication previously that the game could or would be stopped. Does it require successive penalties (two or more before getting the ball across the line) to stop play, or just one? How does play resume, by ball throw from the opposing team?

Requires just one penalty, but if two (or more) occur simultaneously multiple penalties can be called and multiple points deducted. Play resumes by a ball thrown from the opposing team.

Quote:
Which brings me to a point I'd wanted to make in the "memo", but couldn't really find a place it would naturally fit: a "low roll" is allowed to put a ball into play, but without the ability to kick it short of a penalty, the only tactic that comes to mind is an opposing player dropping to their knees in order to allow the ball to roll up their shin or thigh...or possibly, sliding in from the side to pop the ball up.

High throw would have benefit of pushing the ball deep into the opposing backfield, while low roll would likely be intercepted relatively near the dividing line, of course, so there's that strategy to consider as well.

Yes, truthfully I didn't believe a low ball roll could be returned until I saw it. As I said in my post, one of the games Grimby is based off of is Meso-American Handball. In it, one could only use the *hips* to hit the ball. The trick is, like the Grimby ball, the ball they use is made of a dense natural rubber which has an amazing bounce, even on dirt. So even when you try to roll the ball it bounces. And yes, this guys do exactly as you describe: "sliding in from the side to pop the ball up."

There are clips on youtube you can see of people playing it. I recall one of the clips was a bunch of people playing on a dirt pitch with the lines drawn on the ground. The other one was in a larger arena at some touristy spot in mexico where these people were doing an exhibition game and I believe that's where I saw the low roll and effective returns. Quite amazing really.

Quote:
The rings are center-court? High up and tiny, then? Otherwise it'd seem a very easy shot. I was actually envisioning soccer-like goals with the rings perched atop them.

Yup, they are at center court. And on the soccer goals themselves would be too far away for such a precise shot.

Thorne
The pic Phe posted is at the small end of the Grimby court scale. They only get bigger, and that is smaller than average. It has a narrow corridor, regular walls, grass court, and it's uncovered. :)