Server Costs Sep

Ends in 3 days 0%
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Oh the Cliche! : RP Edition
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:29 am 
Snuggler

Faction: Flight School
Now, I don't know about you, but it seems certain plots and story arc ideas are getting very old, very fast.

I made this thread to list all our pet peeves about the plot devices and storylines that are overused, abused and stale. I'll start off with my own but feel free to add and crit.

For example; Experimentation. Really now. Over the past few months, we've had some major plots being created what with the HF and Blake's Unob Bomb. During these, however, I've seen absurd plots and stories start to unfold. During Blake's RP, IC, he was locked up and experimented on.

I'm all for a spot of torture but when it comes to stuff like experimentation, that's something I find hard to believe. Skyrates is supposed to be set in the late 30/early 40s.(I presume it is, anyway.) I don't see how it would be possible for this to be happening. I'm aware of things that might have gone on behind closed doors IRL on which we base stories off of but in all seriousness, really? And I would also like to add that this went on for a number of weeks. RP or not, that's something that really annoys me as it locks that character into that setting and not allowing for any other interaction.

Now, don't get me wrong, this sort of RP might interest people. But I think I speak for some RPers in saying that after seeing the similarties overused and masked in different guises, it's getting very boring. Most plots are becoming too similar.

Trust me, I'm a fan of updating things and re-invention, but most of these 'Experimentation' storylines are too similar and the whole genre around that is getting stale.

This is purely my opinion and I don't expect most of you to agree. I'm just voicing feelings on the state of play in RP.

Thank you.
Z. :blueflag: :blue:

Post subject: Re: Oh the Cliche! : RP Edition
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:55 am 

Zhana,

I'm sorry to hear that you do not agree with the way Joseph and I had Roleplayed the other night. However, there's nothing I can do to stop other people from making their own stories (or opinions of stories). Joseph and I tried our best to make it in the least bit interesting, so i dont know what to tell you on that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:21 am 
Dev Eyepatch

Faction: Earthen Order

Mmkay Zhana...then please state some ideas that AREN'T a reused cliche that hasn't been used before. Try to find ANYTHING that hasn't been used before. Then act on it, create a vivid storyline, and get people to like it and join you on it rather than complaining about other people's ideas. Thank you.

*) Member of the Black Sheep Squadron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:03 pm 
True Friend

Faction: Independent

/me slowly raises his hand. :secret:

There are quite a few great ideas that haven't been done before, actually, and I for one love spending my spare time thinking up epic new RP possibilities.

But that's beside the point. This thread is a good idea in theory, but frankly I can just see this disintegrating into a massive argument topic. :remygrogged: Hopefully I'll be wrong, and this will prove more productive than anything.

While I understand what you're saying Zhana, and even agree for the most part, I'll just clear up Grey's name by saying I did let him take Blake on that whole experimentation arc. It was to further his character and I needed a break - in those situations, a mutually beneficial compromise such as ours can be the best course of action. Again however, that's beside the point.

Using the 'same old stuff' isn't always a bad thing. Sometimes classic is good! I'll be the first to admit that Blake Spencer is made up of just a whole bunch of other famous characters, melded into one working Roleplay being. Sometimes it's nice to have familiarity, but other times it's nice to create something new.
This subject works both ways, and I know everyone will have different opinions on it.

It doesn't matter...
What really matters here is WOODMAN!! :woodman:

:remygrin: :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 pm 
Flirt

Faction: Azure League

Well, {static}, there goes my awesome Assassin's Creed/Burn Notice-inspired storyline.

Because, y'know, I have to be totally original and can't mix'n'match story elements to create something new and awesome.

Aside: I'll admit Kidnappings and Mysterious Disappearances /are/ overdone, but eh. What do you expect?

Also:
Zhana Hirst wrote:
If you don't like it, stay away then. Simple as. You don't have to join in. It's not as if it's canon anyway. Just a bit of fun.
- From the Stargate thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:27 am 
True Friend

Faction: Crimson Armada

A few notes on this:

1) It's actually late 40's to mid 50's technology.
2) During that time period, a lot of inovation in nearly every field of research was being made, not to meantion that this game has had players around for many years, and I say as long as you can justify why /this/ specific society would need this particular invention, go for.
3) We didn't have cloaking devices then or even now (then being the 50's) yet the Hidden Fleet has them, clearly we aren't sticking to this strict technological time
4) I will be the first to tell someone I do not buy into their plot and that my character will be ignoring it, if I don't agree with someone, I suggest those that have similar problems, do the same. Everyone's here to have fun, lets keep that in mind before we rain on other people's parades.
5) If you have serious issues with other people's RPing, that's what the RP guides are here for, bring it up to them, they will address the issue and see if it needs to be past on to the devs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:34 am 
True Friend

Faction: Crimson Armada

Also, I would like to note that RP generally speaking is not supposed to be one huge daytime soap opera plot line to the next. It's supposed to be us RPing our normal everyday skyrate lives with each other. That being said, some skyrates normal everyday life, /is/ experimenting, i.e. Grey, that's how his character has been set up from the first. The first time I RPed with him we built this huge elaborate machine that poured watered and what not on people's heads when they entered the tavern. It's what he does, to think that he wouldn't have a huge break through every now and again in his work, is seriously underestimating his characters main abilities.

Not to mention, that we are always at war, either factionally, with pirates, or the hidden fleet. Wartime means huge leaps in technology, that's just fact. We all need new and brilliant ways to kill each other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:50 pm 
Flirt

Faction: Azure League

Phédre Spitfire wrote:
We all need new and brilliant ways to kill each other.

True, though a well-placed shot to the brainpan works great no matter what technological era you play in.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm 
Dev Eyepatch

Faction: Earthen Order

Phédre Spitfire wrote:
Also, I would like to note that RP generally speaking is not supposed to be one huge daytime soap opera plot line to the next. It's supposed to be us RPing our normal everyday skyrate lives with each other. That being said, some skyrates normal everyday life, /is/ experimenting, i.e. Grey, that's how his character has been set up from the first. The first time I RPed with him we built this huge elaborate machine that poured watered and what not on people's heads when they entered the tavern. It's what he does, to think that he wouldn't have a huge break through every now and again in his work, is seriously underestimating his characters main abilities.

...wow, I completely forgot about that machine. Hee, it HAS been a while, hasn't it? And a lot has happened.

I will say, NOT in my defense, that I seriously regret the whole operating/wires/nerves subplot. Wasn't thought out far enough, and I'd retcon it if I could. The rest of my arm is more steampunkish now than anything, and actually fairly realistic (outside of said wire/nerves thing.)

As it is, my various inventions have toned down over the years to become at least a little more "realistic" and more in tune with dev ideas. I still have an Electricity/Tesla cannon that generally is a danger to the shipping lanes when I use it, but if you want to talk about things I tried to invent, I bring up the tesla "shield" idea. *shudder*

And we won't bring up the whole time travel idea used by unmentioned parties. *grin*

That said, I appreciate the defense, Phedre...much appreciated indeed. We've fought much over the years about my stuff - glad to see some inventiveness can be viewed as positive RP by people. *grins and ducks before cutlery flies*

*) Member of the Black Sheep Squadron

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:42 pm 

Sorry to bump and old thread but I was actually gonna make a topic on this asking how canon mad science can be...that and the "Clinic on Arcadia" XD
( viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1526&hilit=+Clinic+on+Arcadia+ )

Yeah, been working on my character and waddaya know, kidnapping and experimentation are integral parts of her backstory too! Well okay, "experimentation" doesn't HAVE to be if the clinic...mentioned in a single post...as a joke...is canon.

I've tried to come up with another one but I'm kinda attached to the original and it's kind of a downer to know SO MANY people have that as their backstory...

...except then I remembered that if there's one thing I know about Skyrates RP (as an RP noob admittedly) it's that drastic shifts in tone are inevitable and I wonder: Exactly how many Skyrates WERE kidnapped and experimented upon? Perhaps we should form a support group? XD

...no I'm serious. Do we have enough people with that backstory to do that? Because that could be both interesting AND hilarious!