Register / Log in

Server Costs Dec

Ends in 17 days 0%
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2.7 comes to a close
PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:40 pm 
Developer

This round of Skyrates will come to a close very soon, probably sometime this weekend.

We expect to have the game back online on November 4 with new plane stats, a new map layout and some other surprises. If it looks like we may miss that date, I'll do my best to post here.

If you're new to Skyrates, the Skybrary has a helpful article on what a Reset is and what it isn't. (This would be a great time to give the ol' Skybrary some love. It needs a page on the recent Blackout Event and the awesome Unobtainium Project II Roleplay.)

This Forum should remain accessible throughout the Reset, with one brief exception: I'm hoping to upgrade phpBB at some point, but that should be pretty fast.

EDIT: Skyrates 2.7 went offline on 22 Oct 2013. Current ETA for Skyrates 2.8 is 04 Nov 2013.

Post subject: Re: 2.7 comes to a close
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:56 pm 
Developer

Game's down now. We'll be back with a new round as soon as we can be, but everyone knows that's not really predictable.

-pl-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:11 am 
Developer

I've made the new map and re-tiered all the skylands and fuel stations. I have not redone all the sales or made mini- and mega- kits yet. I think I want to do that before the new round. I also need to redo the danger map.

There are some things that I like about the new map, which may be characteristics I keep using in the future, but may also have some weaknesses. Specifically, I agree that "close but high tier skylands" are a fun thing, (and a big part of why flight license was invented in the first place) but right now I have the tiers more or less reinforcing the map's layout.

One thing that's (I think) a little different this time is that level 10 flight license doesn't open up any skylands, but unlocks a few key fuel platforms that should make substantial impacts to trip length, especially for the influence game.

I haven't measured the precise minimum range needed to reach each of the capitals yet, but I'll give that at least a cursory review before launching this. But there's definitely a part of me that thinks that complaining about small differences in capital distance is awfully nitpicky and shouldn't really play any serious difference in factional alignment. To my eyes, they all unlock at the same license and tier of plane, and I think that really ought to be good enough.

-pl-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:31 am 
Developer

Yesterday, I was working (slowly) for about 8 hours on resurrecting my scripts to lay out sales of planes and upgrades. I think I got the planes done, although I haven't sanity-checked it yet. Upgrades should be for sale in reasonable locations later today, maybe in a few hours.

I think I'm the only one whose work is really required for the new round to begin. I will also try to clear the logs and restart everyone, there should be scripts for that as well.

The danger map is made by hand and I will need to do that. 2-3 hours, maybe less.

All told, there's approximately 8 hours of work between me and the new round. I doubt all of it will happen today, as it's beautiful outside and I haven't gotten exercise, so I want to get some sports in.

-pl-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:39 pm 
Developer

The game is up and running. It probably needs some economic tenderness but the gerbils are all spinning their wheels again, it seems.

-pl-