Register / Log in

Server Costs Dec

Ends in 16 days 0%
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Scrap Gear
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:42 am 

Faction: Independent

Any chance we can get a set of Scrap Gear? Right now, there's 4 kits, but only 3 sets of gear. Was hoping to armor my plane into the stratosphere...

(Note: At the time this is posting, I'm on my way to the last Skyland. If it turns out there's a scrap kit there, I'll delete this for being unnecessary.)

"It's just a little rusty, it's still good..."

Post subject: Re: Scrap Gear
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:04 pm 
Developer

Should we tell her about the (somewhat outdated) Skybrary?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:25 pm 

No need. I've been to every Skyland now, and am working on a Compendium for the Capulets. After that, we'll try and resurrect the Skybrary. But at this time, looks like there is no Scrap Gear, just the larger Scrap Kit.

Sad bunny... Guess I'll have to settle for Combat Gear.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:36 pm 

Faction: Azure League

A little background: scrap upgrades were intended to be solutions for players who needed a quick dirty cheap boost in combat capability, and who can't afford (or don't want) to swap planes. Then there are the tier boosting upgrades, Gear boosts a Tier 6/7 plane up to Tier 8/9 status, Kit boosts a Tier 4/5 up to Tier 8/9 status. The scrap kit was a novelty, boosts a Tier 4/5 up to Tier 6/7 for about the same price as actually buying the better aircraft, while swapping utility for more survivability. I expected players would throw the scrap kit away (if they ever bought it) and replace it with a real kit or a much better aircraft along the line. Really, the scrap is just... junk.

So knowing that, what would scrap gear cost in squigs and slots, and what would it do? What should a plane that's gone full scrap upgrades be like, and how different from a standard upgraded plane? I wouldn't mind burning an afternoon to design something new, open to suggestions.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:46 pm 

I'll do some thinking and get back to you. Game balance isn't my forte. But it does seem that Scrap is 'defense' oriented, overall, but similar to combat in other respects.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:29 am 

Okay, here's my first pass suggestion for a Scrap Gear:

Scrap Gear
Max Speed: +5% kph
Accel: -30% kph/s
Armor: +4
Armor Class: +4
Range: +450 km
Cargo: +5%
Ammo: +600

Combat Upgrade Points: 3
Engine Upgrade Points: 2
Wing Upgrade Points: 2

Cost: 25,400,000.00 G~

This is based partially on Combat Gear, and looking at what a Scrap Kit generally offers. It seems like the Scrap Gear should offer some general improvements, mostly hitting up the stats which increase the endurance of your plane in combat, while taking a hit to acceleration/maneuverability. If anyone has balance suggestions, feel free to make your own versions. This is just something I thought looked reasonably okay.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:24 pm 

Dropping by to say I haven't forgotten - just toying with some of my own ideas. Buffing that to a 20% cargo bonus and a lower price would make it more useful to players who want a more survivable but useful airframe. Upgrade slots of 4+1+1+1 would add more options while taking away others, would be a little more different than the other gears and kits.

Or we could make a 3 Combat upgrade and do nothing but go berserk with armor. I'll give it a little while longer for comments before I get grogged up and write something Remy-approved.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:43 pm 

Amira Navaras wrote:
Dropping by to say I haven't forgotten - just toying with some of my own ideas. Buffing that to a 20% cargo bonus and a lower price would make it more useful to players who want a more survivable but useful airframe. Upgrade slots of 4+1+1+1 would add more options while taking away others, would be a little more different than the other gears and kits.

Or we could make a 3 Combat upgrade and do nothing but go berserk with armor. I'll give it a little while longer for comments before I get grogged up and write something Remy-approved.

Something super armor-heavy would be something I'm interested in. Leveling an alt right now that I'd like to make combat-focused in some blimp or other, and the more options I have to make my ship a slow, unstoppable hulk that takes almost no damage, the better, I say.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:29 pm 

It's been in testing for long enough, and I think I'm happy with it. CKPH progression on the Gear, least to best, is Scrap - Combat - Performance - Trade, fairly evenly spaced out. On the Bara, the best CKPH is 114K on the cheap upgrades, 120K Scrap, 126K Combat, 130K Performance, 134K Trade. Not near optimal for trade or cargo missions, so I cut the price by 25%. Should be for sale at Gonk now. Let us know what you all think.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:34 pm 

Oooo... I don't know if I have the funds, but I'll swing by Gonk at my first opportunity! This could be an exciting new day for Amantha, Scrap Mistress Extraordinaire!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:44 am 

Okies, I just managed to get to Gonk, and I actually had enough for the Scrap Gear! I've got it equipped, and I'll have time tomorrow to really put it through it's paces and tell you what I think. For now... it looks good! From the description to the effects, I'm all on board! I'll need to redo all my thoughts of how to kit out Miss Behave though. Kinda sad I don't have room for the Advanced Radio anymore... but still, I can't complain! I got exactly what I wanted!

More news to follow after I chase down a few pirates and show them rusty is not the same as brittle...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:10 pm 
Developer

Amantha wrote:
...chase down a few pirates and show them rusty is not the same as brittle...
:grin:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:35 am 

Okay, so I haven't been back as quickly as I said I would be. I did test the gear very quickly, but hadn't gotten around to making my thoughts known. I have to say, I rather like it. It adds significant endurance of all sorts, and enables me to squeeze a bit more out of my Barashiki without having to abandon the plane entirely. (Which was my goal of gearing/kitting it. I love this plane!)

Overall, the most noticeable parts are the improved ammo capacity and improved range. The armor and AC increases are top notch, but I run armor heavy anyway, so I didn't notice as much as someone who might not do so. The cargo upgrade is kinda meh. I know why it's there, but honestly, I don't do much trading. I do enjoy the speed boost as well, even if it's minor. No such thing as too much speed.

Overall, I give it an A. It feels well balanced, and it certainly has every thing I was looking for, leaving me nothing more to do than to thank everyone profusely for giving me this option! :gonk: :cheeky: