Register / Log in

Server Costs Sep

Ends in 6 days 0%
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

Should we have fishing?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 16 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21
Author Message
 Post subject: Fishing!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:33 am 

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 4:29 pm
Posts: 481
Faction: Flight School
Offline
I think sea planes should be able to fish.

My present idea is that you should be able to buy a fishing pole that takes up 1 cargo and that you can land in the water and produce 1 fish cargo every couple of minutes.

Any other takes on this, ideas and suggestions?

Open for discussion.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:39 am 

Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:22 am
Posts: 434
Location: In your mind
Faction: Flight School
Offline
How about a hull-mod? Something along the lines of a "Trawling Rig" that lets you collect fish while moving from one place to another.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:48 am 
Adventure Journalist

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:58 am
Posts: 180
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Might make a good mini-game of some sort. Sounds like a fun little addition, but it's probably not going to make its way into the "main" game of Skyrates. In other words, I suspect people will kill some time fishing, but I doubt we'll see many dedicated "fisherman" characters.

_________________
Jarylan "Harlequin" Hundecoph
Adventure Journalist, ERN News
Pirate Captain of the SS Toybox

I am a monument to all your sins...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:33 am 

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 4:29 pm
Posts: 481
Faction: Flight School
Offline
I'm not thinking dedicated fishing, but something profitable for the lower half of the tiers or a way to kill time. A way to make some money when the economy isn't doing to good.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:41 am 
True Friend

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:46 am
Posts: 988
Location: Uurwerk at a Tea Party
Faction: Flight School
Offline
How many planes have you heard of that has stopped mid flight and started to fish? Your right, none, because if you want to fish you use a boat, not a plane, its not only an unrealistic idea, but I for one think that it is a rather foolish one as well.

_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice.

'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:09 pm 

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 4:29 pm
Posts: 481
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Skyrates isn't exactly reality, there aren't boats and it's a world of just about entirely water where people get around by planes, so at least to me it seems only natural that if everyone travels by planes ships goods by planes and fights by planes why not fish with them too.

It could be a good mini game to pass the time during long flights (though then I think the yielding of fish shouldn't happen to keep with the game concept of sporadic play)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:00 pm 

Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 125
Location: The Casino
Faction: Flight School
Offline
We have fish as a commodity. How'd we get those fish? Hatcheries? Seems unlikely with the limited space on most skylands. I think that if fishing were implimented, it should have some effect on the fishing market.

_________________
Bar Brawler
Shot Caller
Pilot of the Sigma Chi Seven
"Skyrates is like Christianity, you have to try your hardest to spread it like the clap"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:59 pm 
Pirate Hat

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:20 pm
Posts: 460
Faction: Earthen Order

Offline
I think fishing is a good idea for helping you to resupply when you're extremely low on cash for some reason. It could be an alternate activity to Hunting - you'd go Fishing, and that would take a certain amount of time, but give you a cargo of fish, in proportion to the time you spent.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:55 am 
True Friend

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:46 am
Posts: 988
Location: Uurwerk at a Tea Party
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Yet some people want the game at least slightly realistic (for example, a leviathan cannot do a barrel role), any way minigames have always been slightly annoying to me, if I wanted to play a "fishing game" I would go to an online gaming site not skyrates.

_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice.

'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:44 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:05 pm
Posts: 107
Location: Sparks, NV, USA
Faction: Flight School
Offline
The March Hare wrote:
Yet some people want the game at least slightly realistic (for example, a leviathan cannot do a barrel role)...

Maintenance of realism, or making the game more realistic, is, in and of itself, not a good reason to change or not change something. In real life, a plane with a propeller cannot go mach 3. In the game, we have the Ingersoll. In real life, islands don't float thousands of feet above a world encompassing ocean. In the game, we have the skylands. Fishing may be a bad idea, but dismissing it on the grounds that it is not realistic is not a very strong argument.

The March Hare wrote:
...any way minigames have always been slightly annoying to me, if I wanted to play a "fishing game" I would go to an online gaming site not skyrates.

Again, this is a weak argument. You don't like minigames, so no one should be able to play them. Perhaps we should get rid of combat, too, because there is an autoresolver to take care of it for us. Really, the point of the game is to check in once every day or two, and set up a trade route. Combat is only there to keep those people that are always logged on entertained. We should ditch combat, because I don't like stupid minigames.

I agree that there are reasons not to include fishing -- for one thing, it is another element that would give an advantage to people who are always playing. Right now, it is quite possible to do very well for yourself only checking in once or twice a day. You won't get as many combat points, but you will still get the money from combats. Otherwise, your flight time and trades will continue as scheduled. Fishing strikes me as a way to favor people who are always online. As such, if it were implemented, I would hope that it could be done in such a way as to not give any real advantage to the people that are online to fish. That, I think is a legitimate concern.

Also, I have to wonder what it would do to the economy, if fish could be picked up anywhere, for free. If not properly balanced, I can see people spending quite a bit of time fishing, then selling the fish for large amounts, and only making money in that fashion (plus the occasional combat, of course). This would be game breaking, but is, almost certainly, avoidable.

Other than that, I don't oppose the idea of minigames in Skyrates. I probably wouldn't play any of them, because, like you, I don't generally like minigames. But I don't think that minigames would ruin the spirit of Skyrates, as long as they didn't have any profound effect on the economies of commodities, and skill points.

xander

_________________
Hephaestus: Run away! Run away!
Jarylan Hundecoph: From what?
Hephaestus: Everything!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:22 am 

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 4:29 pm
Posts: 481
Faction: Flight School
Offline
A Mini game was actually a different direction then what I was thinking.

My thoughts for fishing would be something where you could set your plane to fish for an hour (like hunting, and trading, you would be able to add it to your que) Something that you could set and then walk away from like most of this game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:31 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:05 pm
Posts: 107
Location: Sparks, NV, USA
Faction: Flight School
Offline
If that is the case, why not just queue up a hunt, or a flight to another skyland to trade?

xander

_________________
Hephaestus: Run away! Run away!
Jarylan Hundecoph: From what?
Hephaestus: Everything!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:25 pm 
True Friend

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:46 am
Posts: 988
Location: Uurwerk at a Tea Party
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Quote:
Quote:
The March Hare wrote:
Yet some people want the game at least slightly realistic (for example, a leviathan cannot do a barrel role)...


Maintenance of realism, or making the game more realistic, is, in and of itself, not a good reason to change or not change something. In real life, a plane with a propeller cannot go mach 3. In the game, we have the Ingersoll. In real life, islands don't float thousands of feet above a world encompassing ocean. In the game, we have the skylands. Fishing may be a bad idea, but dismissing it on the grounds that it is not realistic is not a very strong argument.

The March Hare wrote:
...any way minigames have always been slightly annoying to me, if I wanted to play a "fishing game" I would go to an online gaming site not skyrates.

Again, this is a weak argument. You don't like minigames, so no one should be able to play them. Perhaps we should get rid of combat, too, because there is an autoresolver to take care of it for us. Really, the point of the game is to check in once every day or two, and set up a trade route. Combat is only there to keep those people that are always logged on entertained. We should ditch combat, because I don't like stupid minigames.

I agree that there are reasons not to include fishing -- for one thing, it is another element that would give an advantage to people who are always playing. Right now, it is quite possible to do very well for yourself only checking in once or twice a day. You won't get as many combat points, but you will still get the money from combats. Otherwise, your flight time and trades will continue as scheduled. Fishing strikes me as a way to favor people who are always online. As such, if it were implemented, I would hope that it could be done in such a way as to not give any real advantage to the people that are online to fish. That, I think is a legitimate concern.

Also, I have to wonder what it would do to the economy, if fish could be picked up anywhere, for free. If not properly balanced, I can see people spending quite a bit of time fishing, then selling the fish for large amounts, and only making money in that fashion (plus the occasional combat, of course). This would be game breaking, but is, almost certainly, avoidable.

Other than that, I don't oppose the idea of minigames in Skyrates. I probably wouldn't play any of them, because, like you, I don't generally like minigames. But I don't think that minigames would ruin the spirit of Skyrates, as long as they didn't have any profound effect on the economies of commodities, and skill points.

xander


I disagree with you about the realistic part, I do believe that realistic ideas should be put into a more fantasy/futuristic game, and planes flying quickly is due to ummmm........the good engineers of the Azul League......

Anyway, I think minigames adds a kid of cheapness to a game, and if one's opinions could make something happen, then one's opinion can at least try to make something not happen.

_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice.

'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:34 pm 

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:59 am
Posts: 389
Location: "Over the Mountains of the Moon" Edgar Allen Poe
Faction: Flight School
Offline
I voted no for one major reason. What effect would this have on the economy? Theoretically once people started fishing, they would fill their cargo with fish near a red fish skyland. Suddenly, hundreds of fish would flood the market with now worthless substance causing hundreds of noobs in the inner skylands to be left desitute...... well that is not a bad thing.

Nevermind, I voted against it because it is goofy. The game would be turned into some twisted version of donky kong which is not a good thing.

Signed
Senator Dormouse

_________________
Has an answer for everything, a reason for nothing

Senator of The Imperial Red Faction
Survivor of The Tortugan Upheaval
Veteran of the Second Unification


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:02 pm 

Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:05 pm
Posts: 107
Location: Sparks, NV, USA
Faction: Flight School
Offline
The March Hare wrote:
xander wrote:
--==<snip>==--

I disagree with you about the realistic part, I do believe that realistic ideas should be put into a more fantasy/futuristic game, and planes flying quickly is due to ummmm........the good engineers of the Azul League......

Putting forward realistic ideas is not what I am objecting to. I am all in favor of realistic ideas. What I am objecting to is the acceptance or dismissal of ideas simply because they are realistic, or not realistic. Floating islands and prop planes doing mach 3 violate the laws of physics. I am willing to accept them, because they make the game world interesting. I am not accepting them on the basis of reality, but on the basis of what makes a good game.

That, really, is all I was trying to say. Obviously, you dislike the idea of fishing. I also dislike it. However, I dislike it because I think that it would impact gameplay negatively. I think it would disrupt the economy, and give an advantage to people who are online more than other people. Given that the goal of the game is sporadic play, this would be bad.

xander

_________________
Hephaestus: Run away! Run away!
Jarylan Hundecoph: From what?
Hephaestus: Everything!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:47 pm 

Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:23 pm
Posts: 105
Faction: Flight School
Offline
To prevent people from exploiting it and fishing around skylands with red fish, just have the best fishing spots be around skylands with lots of fish, while skylands with red fish are poor fishing spots. Another idea if you think it would still be to imbalanced is to make it just a mission you get from skylands with lots of fish (they have to get their fish in some method)


As to how to fish in an airplane, trawling would probably be the best method, but is somewhat less than inspiring.

Another method would be to do it like those fireflighing planes that scoop up water from lakes to drop, but without the dropping and some sort of net or mesh on the bottom to hold the fish but let the water back out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:33 pm 

Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:59 am
Posts: 389
Location: "Over the Mountains of the Moon" Edgar Allen Poe
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Quote:
That, really, is all I was trying to say. Obviously, you dislike the idea of fishing. I also dislike it. However, I dislike it because I think that it would impact gameplay negatively. I think it would disrupt the economy, and give an advantage to people who are online more than other people. Given that the goal of the game is sporadic play, this would be bad.

I don't like the idea much either, much for the same reasons...

_________________
Has an answer for everything, a reason for nothing

Senator of The Imperial Red Faction
Survivor of The Tortugan Upheaval
Veteran of the Second Unification


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:22 pm 

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:21 pm
Posts: 229
Location: Riding the slipstream
Faction: Azure League

Offline
This would be a lot of stuff just for a simple mini game, but you could have fishing stocks deplete the same way that we reduce the amount of a commodity when we buy it. The stocks would replenish themselves slowly, over time.

And I second the idea of having the best finishing spots be around the skylands which produce fish.

If you wanted to make it even more complicated, you could have it so fishing around a skyland reduces the rate at which fish was produced at that skyland. If you had an efficient enough rig, you could deprive them of their normal fish and instead get to sell it to them.

But that might break the game.

So, a very conditional yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:09 am 

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 4:29 pm
Posts: 481
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Quote:
hephaestus
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2007 03:31 am Post subject:
If that is the case, why not just queue up a hunt, or a flight to another skyland to trade?

xander


Hunting you have to be there for kinda to get the real amount of money and as for why not fly, to add another element to the game.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:33 am 

Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:27 am
Posts: 1794
Faction: Azure League

Offline
I think it's a funny idea.

How about this: make it really hard to make any "real" money at it.

But, when Skyrates stupid forget to save money for gas and goods, it can be a "punishment" to get them back in the skies without dev intervention. You have two choices, the Mole hands you a fishing pole and points at an old, rickety Phantom you can borrow (there's your realism, Talking Fox March Hare) OR the moose Makes you wash dishes. Either way, with enough effort, you can get enough to buy a half a tank or something.

For everyone else, it can be a fun way to kill time and make a very small amount of money. And if they gave badges and rankings for it, I bet Thorne would try to be a Master Angler. Or a Dish Champ.

The comedy value alone would be worth it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group