Register / Log in

Server Costs Oct

Ends in 8 days 0%
It is currently Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Repeat Queue
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:05 pm 

Faction: Flight School
So, let's say there's a nice stable, cyclic trade route that you've got set up. You know exactly what you want to do: just keep trading fish to Echo and steel to Leng, or whatever, and just go back and forth. You've set up a few legs of flight, but your finger's getting tired, or you've got a cruddy mouse or something. It'd be nice if you could just push a button that says "Repeat queue" and it would fill out your entire queue with a repeated cycle once you've set it up.

Here's how I'm envisioning it:

I'm at Echo, and I've got a crate full of steel. I plot a flight to Leng, drop off steel, pick up fish. I plot a flight to Echo, drop off fish, pick up steel. I press "repeat queue" and now I've got 14 trips planned.

EDIT: W00t, 7777th post in S&C!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:30 am 

Location: Taking the plane down to the sea to do some fishing
I'd like that, but what I think would happen is that you would bring up a box with little slots in it, and you would drag-and-drop components into the slots.

Like:

[Fly to] [Echo]
[Sell] [a full hold of] [ore]
[Buy] [a full hold of] [fish]
[Fly to] [Leng]
[Sell] [a full hold of] [fish]
[Buy] [a full hold of] [ore]

{Repeat}

Something like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:38 am 

Faction: Azure League

I think this is really impractical to implement codewise. And it reminds me of one of those programs that allow you to program in a programing language by using blocks representing commands.

I would attempt to write out the Echo to Leng queue in Java but it would take too long to initialize all the object classes (skyland, trade good, plane, skyrate) and methods (fly, sell, buy, service). And that is without including combat. I would basically rewrite the game in Java sans factions and missions.

My suggestion: macros

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:51 pm 

this would be cool. Also in conjunction with cancel queue button:
http://skyrates.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:18 am 

Quote:
I'd like that, but what I think would happen is that you would bring up a box with little slots in it, and you would drag-and-drop components into the slots.

I dunno about that one... I agree with Ilya's suggestion more. A simple "repeat" button would be a lot easier to use.
Besides, the "repeat" button can just make use of the same whatever interfaces that the queue already uses.

I think there should be additional restrictions to have this make more sense though:

This button would be enabled when the current end of the queue is at a location present earlier in the queue.

If a "sell, buy, fly" is queued, and repeat is pressed, but the "fly" does not fit in the queue, the last action should be "sell", because the "buy" is usually associated with the following "fly".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:31 pm 
Developer

I've been thinking about this, and I think it's possible. The naive version of the algorithm is:

1. store where you are now, what goods are in your hold, etc.
2. work backwards in the queue, looking for the first situation which is identical to the current one
3. repeat everything that happened since that point, until out of queue legs.

now, this would have the additional complexity from the player's perspective that you'd have to be careful about what transaction was at the end of the queue when you hit "find cycle" or whatever. to eliminate the need to be so careful, we could consider working backwards through the steps you've got on the current skyland, repeating steps 1-3 on it all.

this doesn't sound trivial, but neither does it sound crushingly difficult either. i wonder why we haven't done it.

-PL-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:10 am 
Developer

phil wrote:
i wonder why we haven't done it.
"We've got bigger fish to fry."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:09 pm 
Developer

Sorry it took me so long to think of anything decent Ilya, but I've finally attached your one-of-a-kind upgrade. Enjoy!

-PL-