Register / Log in

Server Costs Oct

Ends in 8 days 0%
It is currently Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Trading Missions
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:08 pm 

Faction: Flight School
Here's some of my ideas for new missions, geared towards traders.

Supply Shortage

"My home skyland, [name here], has been suffering from a general shortage in food and supplies. If you can sell 100 crates of goods to them, I'm sure they'd be grateful."

Low risk, influence gain only

Everything Must Go

"My warehouses at [name here] are packed to the ceiling--we've completely run out of storage space! I'll toss in a nice big rebate if you can buy 100 crates of my stuff."

Low risk, influence and gold gain

What do you guys think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm 

bumpity bump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:56 am 

I say YES! I've been wanting missions I can use my crazy modded Ceta for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:53 am 

I'd love it if they got more complex, too:

Wings of Mercy

"The orphans are going to starve this winter if nobody takes pity on them! We can't afford to pay you for it, but if you could bring 10 crates of food to our sister houses on Steppe, Eltsina and Volstoy, we'd consider you an angel!" (no cash, moderate influence)

Captains of Industry (Prestige 4)

"Our local mechanic is working on a Top Secret breakthrough in aviation, but he needs a few supplies. Bring 10 crates of Tools, 10 crates of Steel and 1 crate of Unobtanium back to me and we'll make sure you're credited in the history books!" (medium cash, high influence)

To Woo To Wed (Prestige 5)

"My son/daughter is the most desired bachelor/bachelorette in all of Skytopia. I'll consider you asking for his/her hand in marriage, but first you have to prove that you can take care of him/her. Bring 1 crate of Catnip, 1 crate of Diamonds, and 1 crate of Unobtanium back to me and I'll let you propose." (very high influence, very high cash)

Long Haul

"My twin brother in Uurwerk says that even though he's lived there for ten years, the food there can't compare to home cooking. Bring 100 crates of good old Grottopolis home cooked Food to him in the next 24 hours, and he'll pay you a fortune." (very high cash, no influence)

Last edited by Amelia Braveheart on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:33 pm 

Great ideas, there, Amelia.

I particularly like that you would carry around one of those missions for awhile until the necessary rarity pops up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:38 pm 

Quote:
I particularly like that you would carry around one of those missions for awhile until the necessary rarity pops up.

Totally! Or you could hang on to one lux good from your last run in hopes of finding the mission.

Last edited by Amelia Braveheart on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:45 pm 
Cinco de Mayo 2014

Faction: Crimson Armada

Those are brilliant Amelia! Since we have a new thread... and the old one is seven or eight months old, heres a summary of the old one. We also brainstormed some "challenges" which were tasks devoted to the combat flying skill of a pilot.

Missions:
Whistle Stop Campaign- Take the Governor of a Skyland to as many skylands as possible before the time runs out. OR Take the Governor to skylands x, y, and z.

Jail Break (Swarm)- Several skyrates have escaped from jail, and its your job to shoot them down. Requires Salvage Operations to pick up prisoners.

Jail Break (Chase)- Chase a escaped skyrate across the map, and shoot him down when you find him. Requires Salvage Operations to pick up prisoner.

Mercenary- Shoot down 10, 20, or 50 pirates without being shot down.

Challenges:
Race- Test your piloting skills in this obstacle course. Perform maneuvers at marked locations to gain time bonuses.

Shooting Gallery- Chase down targets and kills as many as possible in a limited amount of time.

Colosseum- Shoot down 10, 25, 50, 100, 250 pirates without getting shot down. Could be back-to-back combats or a continuous melee in the Colosseum area. Depending on the number and difficulty, you may be able to reload and fix up occasionally or before each fight.

http://badges.etc.cmu.edu/skyrates/foru ... php?t=1012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:01 pm 

I love the timed Whistle Stop option.... It would be great to get pay out as a multiplier for each skyland hit in a certain amount of time.

As a twist, the target skylands could be limited by owned faction. (Take me to as many Green Faction skylands as you can in 5 hours!)

I also like the like the connection to Salvage Ops. Now I want to find missions for Smuggling, Leadership and Black Market!

Sommelier

"Hi there, glad you could meet me. My boss really has a nose for Grog. I need you to pick up one crate of this rare vintage on Fuseli. The better a price you can get me, the more handsomely you'll be paid."

(Base gold payout times a modifier based on level of Black Market)

Shady Dealings

"Take this crate of contraband to Cidade and give it to the man in the red hat behind the Tavern. Leave it off the manifest, and make darn sure the authorities don't see it, or you'll land both of us in the clink." (Requires level 2 diplomat or level 4 Smuggling, high gold payout, moderate influence)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:59 pm 

I like all of these ideas quite a bit. The idea of making missions (and their requirements) more complicated is quite appealing to me. If you have no end-game, then all you have is the game itself... so best to make it complicated, no?

Oh, and I just wanted to mention one thing that made me chuckle:
Amelia Braveheart wrote:
"My son/daughter is the most desired bachelor/bachelorette in all of Skytopia.

Knowing the kinds of little bugs the Devs have had in the past, I'd not be surprised if this periodically read "My son is the most desired bachelorette in all of Skytopia." Silly? Yes, but I'd not be surprised and I [i]would
be amused. *grins*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:47 am 

"Subsidize Production" Missions.

Imagine a hypothetical chain of skylands in a row: Goldenrod - Juliet - Arcadia

Goldenrod is purple on Grog. Juliet is red on Grog. Arcadia is also red on Grog.

Juliet has less of a Grog 'drain' than Arcadia, so once the big time traders get to the milkin', Juliet goes yellow. Now there is no reason for anyone to fly Goldenrod grog to Arcadia, the Grog will be bought in Alpha 2, or the traders will go someplace else.

Subsidy missions would pay high level trade prestigers to transport Grog from Goldenrod to Juliet (at green on grog, now) so that the overall profit is comparable to selling from Goldenrod to Juliet at red. Then the speedier traders would have a green to red trade to Arcadia, creating a supply chain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:32 pm 

Those missions that are luxury-market related would be very easily abused. As written anyway. My first response would be to buy the required goods on the local market, at whatever price was asking. Luxuries are expensive at red, but not impossibly so in small quantities.

On the other hand, that would effectively implement the negative cash reward/positive influence missions, so you could call it a feature.

The Department lives again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:07 pm 
RP Guide

Firefox's jailbreak (chase) mission gave me an idea.

Where in the the world is Baron von Snideloor?
Baron von Snideloor has escaped justice again! Reports place this mad man on skyland here Fly there and apprehend him!

Then when you get there it tells you...

Where in the the world is Baron von Snideloor?
Baron von Snideloor has escaped justice again! You just missed him, he was seen on a course to skyland here Fly there and apprehend him!

You could string the skyrate along a few times. Maybe a random number of skylands he has to investigate. Between 2 and 5 I'd say, otherwise it gets tedious.

No idea for a reward, maybe low monetary and med-high influence?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:24 pm 

Harris, that's fiendish!

Devs: Do it, Rockapella! =)

"From the shoulder, beyond the wrist, watch out, evil - it's my fist!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:09 pm 
Flight Master

I've long since pined for chained missions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:24 am 

Lord Gilbert wrote:

Seconded.

Chained as in, you must finish the first successfully to get access to the second mission in the chain and so on.
Each mission further in would be worth more money and/or influence and be more difficult.

Could flavour these missions substantially more than normal once off missions with some consistent back story I should think.

i.e.
#1. That dastardly pirate Cavaletti has fashioned himself as a Lord! He's been raiding our trade routes between skyland X and y for quite some time now. See if you can locate his homebase for us. Fly to various surrounding skylands and land there, to check for his planes presence.
#2. Well done on locating his homebase, now it's time to strike! (alarms blare in background)....uh, what? an attack? here? Cavaletti wouldn't dare! That scoundrel! Quickly, take to the skies and defend us! [Kill X pirates hunting around current skyland]
#3. While you were defending our skyland, Cavaletti raided our factories and stole our latest prototype plane. We need you to go and get it back. Fly to Cavaletti's homebase and return. High risk.
and so on, various ruther missions could be added with your nemesis Cavaletti at their heart!

To take PrinceHarris's bounty hunting ideas as an example, the first mission in the chain could be taken at your factions home:
"Wanted! Dead or alive! Pirate Sven RedBeard has been sabotaging our efforts to curry favour with Skylands (x/y/z).
Go find him and take care of our...problem."

To actually find him you'd need to complete further missions at the specified skylands which will help you along your merry way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:12 am 

These are all totally fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:21 am 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

/me casts "Bump of Ages" to resurrect an ancient thread. Check out the first page - lots of neat ideas for mission variety that could be implemented next round.

It's been interesting reading all the old posts from when the mission system was introduced and its various overhauls. There's a real cultural schism, I think, between folks for whom the current mission system is still 'the new thing' and those for whom (like myself) it's the way it's always been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:00 am 

Faction: Crimson Armada

I think they all sound fantastic, though Firefox's Challenges missions seem like they'd require more coding. The chained missions, especially the 'get this nasty person!/ Oh you just missed him!' variety, coupled with the later complications, is brilliant. These would be just the thing for late-gamers who don't want to or can't run influence for a faction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 5:42 am 
Explorer

Lord Gilbert wrote:

A lot of these are neat suggestions, but part of it is also a matter of what the engine behind the game is capable of actually handling. To date, I've only seen missions that require presence at a location. I'm not sure if it knows how to check cargo for varying materials (Necessary for many of Amelia's missions), or could carry flags to denote levels of completion (required for 'chain' quests)

This starts to become a question for Phil & DevCo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:21 am 
Developer

chaining has been supported for some time.

-PL-