Register / Log in

Server Costs Oct

Ends in 13 days 0%
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Trading
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:00 am 

Faction: Independent

So.. I might be an idiot, but I'm not sure.

The trading for skyrates seems to be pretty color coded however upon trading to a green island to a red island of a different set of islands I somehow lost money. The island I bought it on was green(at least within a few hours of buying when I planned the journey) and the island I sold on was red... but somehow I wound up loosing money and I'm not sure why. Any suggestions on what I can do in the future to avoid this?

Post subject: Re: Trading
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:36 am 
Incarnation of Rock

Faction: Court of Violets

So what might matter is what good you were trading. Higher level goods are taxed higher and so you need either higher level skills (tax evasion, cutthroat business for general, or other skills for specific ones) or a higher gap (purple to red being ideal). Additionally, supplies on skylands can change in real time as more people buy/sell them. The worst offenders in previous round were Leviathans who could buy a good down and sell it up a color with a single load.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:53 am 
Smashing Pumpkins

Faction: Independent

Also, luxuries change color more quickly than other goods. You can review your trade logs with this link.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:37 pm 
Developer

You are absolutely not an idiot, the game does a wretched job to explaining trading and taxes.

-pl-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:47 pm 
Developer

phil wrote:
You are absolutely not an idiot, the game does a wretched job to explaining trading and taxes.

-pl-
It is also extremely volatile; especially as we continue to adjust things.
I use the Trade Insurance in the Options panel. Not perfect, but it can help.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:11 pm 

Faction: Azure League

I've been doing some trading tests over the past few days, dumping the log results into a spreadsheet. Interestingly, my most profitable runs, on a profit/minute basis, are some of the shortest ones, bouncing between an island that's purple for a good to one that's blue and next door. They tend to be around $250-325/min, while the longer, multi-hour and multi-hop runs from a purple source to a red destination tend to be around $100-150/min.

There'll be more volatility with the short runs, of course, since other people trading at the same spot can drastically change the price, but with trade insurance for protection and spreading hops between goods to allow the source to recover, it should be pretty lucrative.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:58 am 
Developer

That's helpful feedback, Mr. Fluffy.
Are you seeing that trend across all goods or only in certain tiers of goods (luxes, for example)?

Perhaps Amira Navaras can weigh-in.
We may have a few more things to tweak.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:41 am 

Haven't gotten to luxury tiers yet, but, for example, tools from Isla di Pisa (purple) to Alpha 17 (bloo) got me almost 16k over half an hour, or ~400squigs/min. Meanwhile, tools from purple Isla di Pisa to red Sharif got me a hefty 45k, but took 486 minutes, or ~92squigs/min. Ore from Tehras (bloo) to Echo (red) was 17k, over 420 minutes, or a puny 40squigs/min.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:16 pm 

It's an issue known to me, unfortunately. Those transits in the starter cores are so short that they're on the steep slope approaching infinite skybux per hour. Calvin could fix it by artificially painting all the tools around Pisa absolute purple, or the game could wait for traders like Fluffy to do the same thing naturally, but it's a bad situation either way. Personally I like playing cleanup and making quick profit the way Fluffy is, but then again this shouldn't be that much more profitable than trading the normal longer distance way.

Just so we all know, Pisa is a tool factory, but Alpha 17 is just a dead stockpile of tools. Eventually the pile of tools on 17 will stack up too high and the trade route will lose money.

The only fair solution I know to this is shoving the starter skylands farther apart (or making the taxes worse but that's not much fun). They're just so close to each other that trades between them edge toward division by zero.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:19 am 

Amira Navaras wrote:
The only fair solution I know to this is shoving the starter skylands farther apart (or making the taxes worse but that's not much fun). They're just so close to each other that trades between them edge toward division by zero.

What about having stockpile limits vary proportional to distance from a source? For example, if Pisa is a tool factory and Alpha 17 is next door, make the stockpile limit at 17 something tiny, like 200 tools... A single load in a tier 1 plane would push it from bloo up to purple, eliminating any possibility of further profit. Meanwhile, Getty is slightly farther and could have a limit of 250... Echo is much farther and could have a limit of 1000, etc.

This would have the benefit of retaining the high-profit arbitrage, but only for people in small, slow planes who can't hop halfway across the map in a few hours. It also makes sense - if the next Skyland over makes tools, you're not concerned about running out because you can be there and back in an hour. If it's a day away, you might have some more on hand.