Ends in 12 days 0%
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New and Shinier FAQ!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:52 pm 
Flying

Faction: Flight School
Intro, Other Guides and Tools, and Table of Contents

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here. Commonly asked questions will be moved up here, with answers.

Remember to watch the Tutorial video and skim the Manual before asking questions, as many things you need to know are contained in each.

There is also a more full Skill Point guide, and a list of Instructors if you want an expert to help you with something. You can also check the Skybrary, where a lot of useful game mechanics and Skytopian history have been recorded. (Link is also at the bottom of the page.)

Other useful tools are the Mechanic by Captain Waffles, which will help you design planes and find how much they'll cost; the Cartographer, also by Captain Waffles, which lists the calculated distances between every pair of skylands (warning - not perfectly accurate, still being developed); and the Influence Charts by Major Science, which track influence gains at all skylands over time.

Table of Contents
--Post 1: Intro, Other Guides and Tools, and Table of Contents
• Tutorial Video
• Manual
• Skill Point Guide
• List of Instructors
• Skybrary
• The Mechanic
• The Cartographer
• Influence Charts
--Post 2: General Questions
• Is trading or combat worth more?
• What plane should I get?
• Why is the game so slow?
• What happens if I leave the game?
• Why are there so few skylands?
• I can see a skyland, but it won't show me its name! And I can't plot there!
• Why don't the crew members/missions refresh when I land?
• What happens if I run out of money and can't refuel/fix my ship?
• Can I transfer funds between accounts?
• Why isn't there X feature? I asked for it and the devs said "not now"!
• How come it never rains?
• How do I mine for fish?
--Post 3: Trading
• Which goods are worth more?
• Which types of trades are best?
• What is this "infrared" trading I've heard of?
--Post 4: Combat
• What happens when I get shot down?
• What if I blackout in combat?
• I'm hunting and I want to stop. How do I do that?
• I'm hunting and my queue won't update!
• What about if my Skyrate runs into some combats while I'm gone?
• Why are my combats suddenly so hard?
• How many levels do missions add?
• Are there any hotkeys for the maneuvers?
• Can I change the maneuver hotkeys?
--Post 5: Experience Points
• How do I earn Flight Points?
• How do I earn Trade Points?
• How do I earn Combat Points?
--Post 6: Factions and Influence
• What are factions?
• How do I join a faction?
• What are missions, and what are they for?
• Can I join the Pirate faction?
• Can I join multiple factions?
• Is it worth it to get Trade Prestige/Skyland Trust?
• What do the underlined things in the mission description mean?
• If I take a combat mission, do I have to hunt around that skyland?
--Post 7: Crew
• I have an open crew slot! What type of crew member should I hire?
• What do each of those do?
• I can't find a Navigator anywhere! Help!
• Why are my crew members mad at me?
• I didn't lose any combats, and they're still mad at me!
• I want to buy a new plane. What will happen to my crew members?
• My new plane will have fewer seats. Which crew members will stay?
• If I have to fire a crew member, can I get him/her back?
--Post 8: Wings
• What is a wing?
• How do I join a wing?
• Where is there a list of current wings?
• Where can I look at my current wing/accept applications?
• How many people can be in a wing?
• How many wings are there per skyland?
• How do I start my own wing?
--Post 9: Chat and Forums
• What do the different colored names in chat mean?
• Is there a friends list?
• What chat commands are available?
--Post 10: Common Bugs
--Post 11: Resets
• What is a reset?
• Oh noes! A reset sounds awful!
• What happens in a reset?
• Will I keep my name/money/plane?
• How often do resets happen?
• When will the next reset be?
Post 12: RESERVED
Post 13: RESERVED
Post 14: RESERVED
Post 15: RESERVED

Last edited by Kyra on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:31 am, edited 26 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:54 pm 
Flying

General Questions

Q: Is trading or combat worth more?
A: This depends highly on how good you are at combat, and the current quality of the trade routes. The best method, in fact, is a combination of both. However, a casual player should focus on trading, as combat is very time consuming.

Q: What plane should I get?
A: This is a really complicated question, depending on what you're looking for. Complicated enough that Flight School has a class on it. Your best bet is to ask one of our instructors, or ask on Radio.

Q: Why is the game so slow?
A: Skyrates was originally an experiment in sporadic play, and many of the players do quite well checking in only occasionally.

Q: What happens if I leave the game?
A: The game continues running, even when you're not logged in! So set up your queue, and come back when you can.

Q: Why are there so few skylands?
A: When you first start, you can only see a few skylands. If you want to see more, or reach the grayed out ones that you can see, get another point in Flight License.

Q: I can see a skyland, but it won't show me its name! And I can't plot there!
A: The grayed out skylands are the ones you'll unlock with the next level of Flight License. If you want to fly to them, you'll need to buy the next level of that skill.

Q: Why don't the crew members/missions refresh when I land?
A: Crew members and missions only refresh when you land on a different skyland. So if you've been hunting and land on the same skyland you left, then you'll see the same crew members and missions as were there before. Visit another skyland to reset them.

Q: What happens if I run out of money and can't refuel/fix my ship?
A: Post on the forums or let a dev know over Radio. They're really nice, and will be happy to get you back on your feet.

Q: Can I transfer funds between accounts?
A: No. This is intentional. With the ability to transfer funds come a whole lot of ways to abuse the system. Besides, Skyrates is about the journey through the tiers; it wouldn't be any fun if you could just jump into the high-level plane.

Q: Why isn't there X feature? I asked for it and the devs said "not now"!
A: The devs are really awesome, but also really busy. A lot of their time is spent fixing bugs, which leaves them less time to work on new features, and what time they do have is spent on big changes. They do this on their own time, for free, so don't hassle them. =P

Q: How come it never rains?
A: It does, just never when we can see it...?

Q: How do I mine for fish?
A: You cannot mine for fish, or for any goods. The only way to gain goods is to purchase them in the market at a skyland. Any older player who tells you otherwise is pulling your leg.

Last edited by Kyra on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:00 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:56 pm 
Flying

Trading

Q: Which goods are worth more?
A: Goods start out cheapest at "12 o'clock" with wood, and become more valuable as you go clockwise around the circle. In general, it's worth more to do a trade route with a good further around the circle. There are three separate "quality levels", shown by the color change for the section, and there are distinct price-jumps between the different groups.

Q: Which types of trades are best?
A: Given the choice, you should always trade such that you sell at red. Prices follow an exponential curve, so trades blue->red are much better than purple->yellow. However, in general, trading a yellow-quality good (tools, oil, steel) from purple->yellow may be better than trading a green-quality good (wood through ore) from blue->red, as the yellow-quality goods are much more valuable.

Q: What is this "infrared" trading I've heard of?
A: Sometimes on the rim, some trades look red but have really high prices. To find these, check the price you get for your cargo. If it's ridiculously high, it's infrared. Another way to find these trades is to look for where lots of planes are flying on the rim. Chances are, there's an infrared at one end of that route.

Last edited by Kyra on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:00 pm 
Flying

Combat

Q: What happens when I get shot down?
A: Pirates of Skytopia are actually quite nice... or at least, quite smart. They'll take only a portion of your cargo, and then let you keep going to your destination. Watch out, though, because you'll be out of armor for the rest of your trip and be more at risk of getting shot down again.

Q: What if I blackout in combat?
A: If you use all your blackout meter, both the combat screen and your radar will go dark, hiding any enemy planes. You will also be unable to turn until you recover some of your blackout meter.

Q: I'm hunting and I want to stop. How do I do that?
A: Currently, the only way to leave a hunt partway through is to divert to another skyland and then divert back. If you're too far into a hunt, though, then you might not have enough fuel left to divert and thus you won't be able to end the hunt.

Q: I'm hunting and my queue won't update!
A: There is a bug that keeps you from updating your queue mid-hunt. Also, actions queued for after a hunt tend to be buggy. Plan your hunts into your queue accordingly.

Q: What about if my Skyrate runs into some combats while I'm gone?
A: If you make it back before your Skyrate finishes a leg of his/her flight, then you can manually fight or flee all the combats that are queued up. Otherwise, on landing, the game will autoresolve all your combats. The autoresolver takes into account your combat record, so the fewer combats you've lost, the better it will do.

Q: Why are my combats suddenly so hard?
A: There are several possible reasons for this.
• Did you just get a new plane? Combat difficulty for a given level is determined by your plane. So a plane with a better "combat rating" will face harder combats.
• Are you carrying any missions? Missions increase the level of combats that you fight, even cargo missions and Treasure Hunts. If your combats are too hard, try dropping a mission or two.
• Do you have any skill points in CI? Combat Infamy increases the level of the combats you face. Unfortunately, you can't give it back once you get it. Fly to somewhere that has a lower danger level until you are better at combat.
• If it's not one of the above, you're in an area that has a higher danger rating. Click the "Show Danger" option, and go to someplace that's less black.

Q: How many levels do missions add?
A: First of all, all missions add levels, even non-combat missions. So even if you're carrying a Treasure Hunt or cargo mission, you'll still get harder missions.
• "Low" danger missions add 2 levels
• "Medium" danger missions add 4 levels
• "High" danger missions add 6 levels

Q: Are there any hotkeys for the maneuvers?
A: Yes. The maneuvers are hotkeyed to the numbers at the top of the keyboard, and the key '['. If you look at the pause screen, from top to bottom is the keys 1 to 0, and then [, as follows:
• 1: Airbrake
• 2: Afterburner
• 3: Right Sideslip
• 4: Left Sideslip
• 5: Immelman
• 6: Split S
• 7: Loop
• 8: RLR Barrel Roll
• 9: LRL Barrel Roll
• 0: Left Wingover
• [: Right Wingover

Q: Can I change the maneuver hotkeys?
A: If you want to change the maneuver hotkeys, you'll need to get a program that lets you write your own hotkeys. There are several such free programs for Windows, but we've been having trouble finding such programs for Mac and Linux. If you know of any programs, let Kyra know so she can link them here. =P

Last edited by Kyra on Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:01 am, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:00 pm 
Flying

Experience Points

Q: How do I gain Flight Points?
A: You gain one Flight Point for every 1/2 hour spent flying. They update when you land, or when you update your queue.

Q: How do I gain Trade Points?
A: You gain one Trade Point for every 3,000 g lifetime profit (sales minus purchases) that you make. This is cumulative, so three 1,000 g sales will earn you a Trade Point. Note that if you lose money on a sale, you have to earn that money back before you start gaining Trade Points again.

Q: How do I gain Combat Points?
A: Each combat that you manually resolve gives you combat points, with the number depending on the level of the combat. (Note that autoresolved combats do not give you Combat Points.)
• Lvl 0 - Lvl 4 combats give 1 CP
• Lvl 5 - Lvl 9 combats give 2 CP
• Lvl 10 - Lvl 14 combats give 3 CP
• Lvl 15 - Lvl 19 combats give 4 CP
• Lvl 20+ combats give 5 CP

Last edited by Kyra on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:01 pm 
Flying

Factions and Influence

Q: What are factions?
A: Factions are the in-game teams. There are four factions:
• Yellow/Gold, known as Flight School. This is the faction composed of new players, and those who don't ever want to leave Academia (i.e., Instructors).
• Red, known as the Crimson Armada. The Red Faction is the combat gurus, hunters of pirates who help keep Skytopia safe. The Crimson Armada is known for their strong organization and hierarchy.
• Blue, known as the Azure League. The Blue Faction is the scientists, mostly rogue inventors. Traditionally they are very loosely organized.
• Green, comprised of the Green Republic and the Merchant's Guild. Greens tend to be very interested in profits, and have regular elections for their leaders.

Q: How do I join a faction?
A: To join a faction, you fly to the faction's capital, talk to the governor in the Tavern, and click the "Join Faction" button. You're automatically placed in Yellow/Gold Faction, known as Flight School.
• The Blue Faction, or Azure League, has its base on Islo
• The Red Faction, or Crimson Armada, has its base on Fuseli
• The Green Faction, or Green Republic/Merchant Guild, has its base on Eltsina
• Staying in Flight School as an instructor is a perfectly valid choice, simply post in the thread in this forum.

Q: What are missions, and what are they for?
A: Missions are the one method by which players directly interact. Missions give influence as one of their rewards. Whichever faction has the most influence at a given skyland owns that skyland. Furthermore, the Skyrate with the most influence is recorded on the Influence page, and is commonly referred to as the Governor of that skyland. However, missions also raise combat difficulty, so don't take them unless you can already handle the combats you're seeing!

Q: Can I join the Pirate faction?
A: The Pirate faction is the faction the devs are in. If you sweet-talk them, you might get to be a Pirate temporarily... but there is currently no way to join for real.

Q: Can I join multiple factions?
A: No. Since a faction is essentially your political allegiance, and your factional affiliation determines which faction your influence goes toward, you cannot be in more than one.

Q: Is it worth it to get Trade Prestige/Skyland Trust?
A: YES! Many of the most valuable missions come from one of these two skills. They're expensive, though, so make sure you've put points into all other skills you need.

Q: What do the underlined things in the mission description mean?
A: There are two different things that an underlined portion can mean, depending on the missions. Which one should be fairly clear from what is underlined.
• If you fail any combat, you'll lose the mission.
• The mission is in a "mission tree", probably from Trade Prestige or Skyland Trust. There's an even better mission that you'll be able to unlock, but you can't get it (even if you have the relevant skill) unless you take this mission first. Note that you only have to take the mission once to unlock the next level mission everywhere.

Q: If I take a combat mission, do I have to hunt around that skyland?
A: Luckily, the answer to this question is "no". If you take a combat mission, any pirates you kill count towards it. So feel free to load up your hold and head back to trading!

Last edited by Kyra on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:24 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:04 pm 
Flying

Crew

Q: I have an open crew slot! What type of crew member should I hire?
A: The most valuable crew member you can find is a Navigator. After that, you must decide what you plan to do. If you're going to be primarily a trader, you'll want to get a Trader. If you're often running out of armor by the end of a flight, get a Mechanic. If you want to later get involved in the Influence game (or get a giant slow trader like the Levi), get a Diplomat.

Q: What do each of those do?
A:
• A Navigator helps you find faster routes. Furthermore, you can choose if you want a Safe route, or a Risky route. A Safe route gives you very few combats, and a Risky route gives you many more combats than a Normal route. Navigators need some practice to be actually helpful; when you first get one, the Fast and Safe route will be slower than the Normal route. Around L3, the Fast and Safe routes will begin to be faster. The Normal route will always be the same speed.
• A Trader helps you save money on all trades you make. Furthermore, Traders save you double on the commodities that don't have skills to cut their taxes (i.e., paper and steel).
• A Mechanic rebuilds your armor in-flight, and causes hits to sometimes do less damage.
• A Diplomat has two jobs. First, when you take a mission, a Diplomat will get you a better deal - when you complete the mission, you'll get more money and influence. Furthermore, Diplomats help you deal with pirates when you're shot down, saving some of your cargo for you.

Q: I can't find a Navigator anywhere! Help!
A: Navigators prefer to only be hired by experienced Skyrates, and so they tend to be more common further from the Core. The closest skylands where you're likely to find them are Islo, Fuseli, and Eltsina, although they've been known to appear closer in occasionally. Check every Tavern you reach, and fly further from the Core, to find them.

Q: Why are my crew members mad at me?
A: Crew members get hurt when your plane is shot down, and this makes them mad. The best way to cheer them up is to turn on the "Split Profit With Crew" and "Split Booty With Crew" options under the Crew tab. If they're at full happiness, they won't take this extra money, so you can just leave it on all the time.

Q: I didn't lose any combats, and they're still mad at me!
A: Crew members also consider how happy they are once a day, when you pay them. We're not entirely sure what makes them happy or not happy at this point in time. The devs have said they'll implement a way for us to find out, but this is another "it'll happen when it happens".

Q: I want to buy a new plane. What will happen to my crew members?
A: Every crew member that you have when you purchase the plane will be with you in your new plane.

Q: My new plane will have fewer seats. Which crew members will stay?
A: The mechanic won't let you buy the new plane until you fire the appropriate number of crew, so that you have fewer crew members than crew seats.

Q: If I have to fire a crew member, can I get him/her back?
A: Currently, if you fire a crew member, there is no way to find that exact crew member again. (Unless you get really lucky and the RNG generates the same name and picture, in which case it still won't have the experience.)

Last edited by Kyra on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:06 pm 
Flying

Wings

Q: What is a wing?
A: A wing is another player organization, but smaller than a faction. Additionally, when you join a wing you gain another chat channel through which you can talk with just your wing-mates.

Q: How do I join a wing?
A: Every skyland has a list of wings that are based there, that you can see when you talk to the Badger. To join a wing, click on the Badger, click Wings, and then choose the one you want. You'll be asked to apply, and you can put in the application why you think the wing head should admit you into the wing.

Q: Where is there a list of wings?
A: Go here.

Q: Where can I look at my current wing/accept applications?
A: Go here.

Q: How many people can be in a wing?
A: Currently, a given wing can only hold 9 people.

Q: How many wings are there per skyland?
A: Currently, each skyland can have five wings.

Q: How do I start my own wing?
A: If you go to a skyland that does not currently have a full set of wings, you can start your own there. Talk to the Badger, and (rest pending)

Last edited by Kyra on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:07 pm 
Flying

Chat and Forums

Q: What do the different colored names in chat mean?
A: Your name in chat is colored based on the faction you're in. Besides the main four factions, there is also the devs, whose names are in grey.

Q: Is there a friends list?
A: Not currently. The devs have said this is on their "list", but they'll get to it when they get to it, so don't hold your breath.

Q: What chat commands are available?
A: You can only use one chat command at a time.
• To do an "emote" (Like "Kyra sits in the chair."), type "/me" or "/em"
• To make italics, start your line with "/i"
• To make bold start with "/b"
• To put your text into Out of Character format (italics and double parenthesis), use "/ooc"

Last edited by Kyra on Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:08 pm 
Flying

Common Bugs

-Pending-

Last edited by Kyra on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:09 pm 
Flying

Resets

Q: What is a reset?
A: Periodically, all players are put back to the beginning

Q: Oh noes! A reset sounds awful!
A: This isn't a bad thing! You get to start over, try a different way up the Tiers, and remember that everyone else is in the same boat! So you'll get a chance to really compare yourself to all the top players. Plus, without resets, the game would get old once everyone all had their top planes. It's also a good time for the devs to add major new changes that would break the game if added in the middle of a round.

Q: What happens in a reset?
A: A reset often involves a lot of changes to the game, such as a rearrangement of the skylands, new skills, and other changes. The devs tend to put in major changes at resets. Also, everyone gets sent back to the "beginning", like a new member.

Q: Will I keep my name/money/plane?
A: In a reset, the only thing you'll keep are your characters' names. In all other ways, you'll be back to a brand new player - all experience points gone, money reset to 10k, and a CR-4P for your plane.

Q: How often do resets happen?
A: There tend to be at least several months between resets. So far, this round has lasted four months. The devs will also let everyone know when a reset is pending, so you should have a couple weeks' warning.

Q: When will the next reset be?
A: The next reset hasn't been announced, so there are at least two or three more weeks.

Last edited by Kyra on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:10 pm 
Flying

-Claiming-

Last edited by Kyra on Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:13 pm 
Flying

-Claiming-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:16 pm 
Flying

-Claiming-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:16 pm 
Flying

Post your questions here, and I'll add them to the FAQ.

Pending updates:
• Loading bugs
• Logistics pages/Ranking pages
• Badges
• Skill points - best to start with

Last edited by Kyra on Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:14 pm 

Faction: Azure League

From various comments I take it that the game is reset occasionally? What sort of intervals, and what exactly is reset? Everyone starts from scratch, or do skills or anything carry over?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:28 pm 
Flying

Right! FAQ post about resets!

Quick info for if you're still lurking - resets have been occurring occasionally (i.e., rounds last months, this one started in September), normally accompanied by some pretty large game changes. (Flight Licenses and Trade Licenses were new with the last one, among a host of other things.)

Resets are actually really nice; since there are so many different paths up the tiers, it encourages everyone to try another path. It also puts newbies on equal footing with older players. (So you can get up into the upper levels, while right now you'd have no chance.)

Token female of both ERN and the 7th Street Capulets ^_~[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:36 pm 

Location: Shouting curses at the exhaust trail of yet another cowardly Inger.
Oh, I only just got a Mastiff with it's shiny new multiple firing arcs and storage space.
*walks with head hanging and feet dragging back to a CR-4P*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:41 pm 
Flying

Don't worry, a reset hasn't even been announced yet, and then we get to deal with Dev Time. (See the Skybrary for the definition of Dev Time).

Token female of both ERN and the 7th Street Capulets ^_~[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:00 pm 

Location: Shouting curses at the exhaust trail of yet another cowardly Inger.
Ah I see. I was under the impression that it would be a week at most until the reset.