Server Costs Jun

Ends in 24 days 0%
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Box
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:47 am 
Flying

Faction: Flight School
((Note: This is in the Faculty Lounge in the Administration Building specifically for safety reasons. The room is reasonably sound-proofed, and it's set off from the student and class buildings. Kyra doesn't really have a good place to play with this, and is trying to keep anyone from getting hurt should it turn out to be less innocuous than it appears.

Any students are unlikely to show up, as this room is off limits to y'all. Sorry, I'll be pulling it out again more publicly once she's played with it a bit and is more sure it's not going to asplode. Facutly and FS administrators are welcome to wander in.

Could RP-dev (Taft?) respond to this please? Possibly a more detailed description, with size, number and size of crystals, etc, so I can talk Tommy into drawing it? XP))

Kyra pulls the box out of her pocket, and runs her fingers gingerly along the dark metal, leaving it closed for the moment. She waits a moment, to see if it makes any sound, then opens it.

Just holding it, she looks at the crystals, examining them but not touching them. Then, she hesitantly brushes one with her fingertip, listening for an expected sound.

Token female of both ERN and the 7th Street Capulets ^_~[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:12 am 
Flight Master

The box in inches is 7x5x3.

The outside is a smooth grey metal shaped in such a way that the box has no hard corners. When closed, there is only a thin impression to imply that the shape is even an openable container.

When opened, the inside does not truly have distinct crystals, as the inside is almost like a geode with every surface covered in crystals ranging from 1 cm to 1 inch, colors ranging from a light rosy pink do a dark scarlet.

On a touch, the box sings with a single clear peal of a bell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:21 am 
Flying

She begins to touch each of the crystals, trying to figure out how to get different tones, note lengths, perhaps even different harmony/overtones, if that turns out to be possible.

After playing with it for a bit, she puts it down, and picks up a pair of earplugs, which she puts in. Having protected her ears, she picks it up... and tries running her finger along the outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:37 am 
Flight Master

Finding a discernible melody is difficult, as the crystals seem to react differently depending on exactly where they are touched, how hard they are touched, and what other parts of the box are being touched.

Along the outside, unseen to eyes but apparent to touch are a few small impressions just deep enough for the barest fingertip.

They do not react.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:13 am 
Flying

She tries pressing harder, and rubbing the sides in various ways - as much as she doesn't want it to shriek, she'd like to know how to not cause it to do so later by accident.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:14 am 
Flight Master

Nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:20 am 
Flying

She eventually gives up, and starts more thoroughly exploring the box with her fingers, to see if anything else is touch-findable but not sight-findable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:59 am 
Pirate Hat

Faction: Earthen Order

Professor Adorienne steps in at that moment, tufty ears perked up. The lynx 'morph is dressed as usual in an embroidered vest and blouse, and long baggy pants tucked into aviator's boots. "Found a new toy, have you?" he asks. "From the Earthen Order or the Court? Rumors about them have been all over the school."

He listens curiously as she experiments. "A musical instrument?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:33 am 
Flying

"Apparently. At Talon's suggestion, I gave them some of the information they asked for. They were pleased, and gave me... this... because of it."

She shakes her head.

"It shrieked for Shining One last night, and I can't figure out how to make it do so again. Although that's probably just as well. It's also really hard to control, I haven't figured out why it'll make a certain tone sometimes and not other times."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:00 am 
Pirate Hat

"Interesting. Are they people like us, or is it possible they possess a different sort of biology? Perhaps different body temperature. If you warm your finger, maybe you'll get a different tone."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:28 pm 

Suino Rosso saunters by, whistling a jaunty tune. He notices the door ajar and peeks in to say, "Oy, no students in the Fac-- Oh, it's just you folks." He pauses slightly while casually scanning the hall for any sign of student activity. Contented with his inconspicuousness, he enters and allows the door to shut quietly. The smallish boar looks slightly out of place amongst the loaded desks and bookshelves in his faded flight jacket and goggles. He nods a greeting to Kyra and Lynx, "Any progress on the new toy?"

He approaches the box and examines the crystal formations. "Certainly nothin' I've ever seen", he remarks and gently taps on some of the crystals. "Ha! Maybe we should give it to those introductory music classes. My bleeding ears would thank me!" He snorts slightly at the joke, brushes his fingers along some of the gray stony material, and says, "and I'm sure the geology department would love a sample of this stuff to put through their spectrumwhatsitanalyzer machines."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:09 pm 
Flight Master

As Suino touches crystals, various sounds of bells are heard with each touch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:28 pm 

"Fascinating!" says Suino, as he continues to tinker with the box, noting how the sounds vary as he applies different pressure at different positions to the crystals. He searches along side the box with his hand and feels his fingers slide into the unseen impressions. Suino arches a single eyebrow as an impulse hits him. "Well, for science!" he exclaims, as he presses his entire hand onto the box, covering as much area as he can with his fingers and palm, while simultaneously applying pressure to the impressions on the side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:58 pm 
Flight Master

The box begins to shriek and wail a cacophony of the most ear piercing and horrendous sounds imaginable. Suino Rosso drops the box involuntarily, as everyone in the room's hands go to their ears.

The sound silences as soon as the box leaves Suino's grip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:19 pm 

A few long seconds pass by before Suino finally opens an eye to look around. Hesitantly, he uncovers his ears, accomplishing little as he found them still to be ringing. He looks apologetically at Lynx and Kyra, and notices Kyra's earplugs. "Looks like someone's got the right idea here," he says, while grabbing a pair for himself. He also hands Lynx a pair, while trying his best to avoid noticing Lynx's big sound-catching ears and the associated facial expression.

"On second thought, we'd better keep this away from those music students," muses Suino, half to himself. He puts in his earplugs and assures his peers, "I'll be more careful this time." With a single hand, he briefly touches the top of the box, jerking his hands back to his ears immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:40 pm 
Flight Master

(ooc: if you meant top as in the top crystals)

The sound of bells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:28 am 
Pirate Hat

:shock:

The lynx flattens his ears. "Well, if you intended to reproduce the shrieking noise that I'd heard spoken of, then you have certainly succeeded, sir." He twitches his ears up long enough to apply earplugs for future experimentation.

"I suppose the relevant question now is, do you feel this is simply a music box, in which case we can relegate it to the School of Music, or is it something more sinister or interesting? I've heard of other devices being uncovered in relation to the Legacy that make bell-like sounds."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:18 pm 
Flying

"I'm not willing to 'relegate' it to anything. And a few people have mentioned that they'd like to take a look at it. I was figuring I'd take it by the R&P once I knew it wasn't going to explode... and knew how to make that shrieking noise, so I could keep it from doing so again." She looks at Suino. "What exactly did you do to get that? It wouldn't do it for me."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:52 pm 
Pirate Hat

"Hmm. Touched both the stone sides and the crystals within? That might support the idea of conductivity being important."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:19 pm 

Suino shrugs, "Dunno, it didn't do it that second time. Although it sure did make a mean noise the first time I put my hands on--" He stops abruptly and examines the sides of the box. "I felt some slight dents that fit my fingers perfectly. That might have something to do with it. Ah yes, there they are," says Suino, as he locates the faint impressions with his fingertips. He slips a finger onto one of them, and with the other hand, gingerly touches a crystal briefly.

(OOC: crap, got ninja'ed. :fear: )