Register / Log in

Server Costs Oct

Ends in 15 days 0%
It is currently Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Are upgrades worth it?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:24 am 

Faction: Flight School
I just started playing Skyrates and I was wondering if it's worth upgrading your plane vs saving money for buying an entirely new aircraft? I've been mainly doing the latter... Or do your purchased upgrades transfer from your plane to your next aircraft purchase?

Post subject: Re: Are upgrades worth it?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:01 am 
RP Guide

You can keep the upgrades from plane to plane. They're automagically uninstalled and given back to you when you sell a plane. Upgrades began to be worth it a few tiers in. Buying a 20k upgrade for a 15k plane isn't worth it, whereas that same upgrade can be a great bargain when you're flying planes that cost 6 million.

Of course, there are more and less expensive upgrades too, which complicates things quite a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 am 
Sapphire Luminary

Generally speaking many of the cheapest upgrades remain the best use of upgrade space even into the late teirs, so picking them up early isn't a bad idea at all either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:01 am 

Faction: Crimson Armada

To put it simply;

Upgrades are not worth it whilst you're still in your Junker or your Tier 1 Of Choice.

Upgrades are worth it about the time you're getting settled into your Tier 2 (Or Higher) Of Choice.

The same goes for changing weapons and hiring crew, really.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:07 am 
Helpful

Faction: Azure League

I would say what Marcus said, and never buy anything that costs more than your next plane.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:28 am 

Typically, a new plane is a better upgrade than any upgrade available, but also much much more expensive. So compare prices and what you get with each.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:57 am 
Flirt

Also, until you hit your endgame plane, don't bother changing out guns. It's a waste of money.

Do, however, install gun mods, because as you hit Tier 4, you'll have more mods than you know what to do with.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:18 am 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

New Gun are cheap after tier 3 and it's well worth trying them out or just going pure flak. And money comes fast enough that even buying an upgrade worth more then what the next plane is worth will be made up faster then you think. The time to End Game is affected far more by the current trade routes and other RNG then by "optimal" plane planning; in my experience, the ultra conservative advice in this thread will save maybe two weeks of trading a best, so listen to Marcus Langley :razz: .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:13 pm 

Haha, wow, I'm quite surprised at the number of replies to my post. Thanks to everyone for answering my question - and more. Definitely a great, friendly community here. I'm using a Tier 3 Cyclops right now, so I'll start buying upgrades.

I wish I knew that upgrades could be transferred from plane to plane, for some reason I was under the impression that they couldn't be transferred. But it would have been nice if this was mentioned somewhere in the Upgrades/Service shop...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 am 

Just bear in mind that your upgrades are limited by your plane, and it's a good idea to anticipate what your next plane will be, and if your upgrades will fit into it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:59 am 

Speaking of which, where can I buy some upgrades for my Jetta that I'll be able to remove and install on my new Acura? Does it really make any sense that upgrades are removed and returned when you buy a new plane and that those same upgrades can just be bolted right on to your new plane?

Not saying it has to make sense but just wanted to point out that the current system is a little bit silly. Plus, didn't Large Props actually used to be a worthwhile upgrade?

See this? This is my BOOMSTICK!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:56 am 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

Considering that the old method of upgrades required you to spend 2 days on a scavenger hunt every time you bought a new plane, this level of abstraction is far better for the game.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:45 pm 

Fenriq wrote:
Does it really make any sense that upgrades are removed and returned when you buy a new plane and that those same upgrades can just be bolted right on to your new plane?

I think it makes sense. When you think about it things like larger fuel tanks and so on would be inter-compatible, to a degree. Obviously Leviathan tanks wouldn't fit on a Ingersoll. But you can use the gold old suspension of disbelief to get around most of the upgrades.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:00 am 

What tweaks my suspension of disbelief is that it takes several hours to repair the plane but zero time to swap out major components like hulls. I'd rather like it if the game required a mini-service (like we're thinking of adding) to change upgrades. Like, you'd change your upgrade loadout, hit the apply button, and do a short service to install 'em and repair some condition.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:45 am 

Amira Navaras wrote:
What tweaks my suspension of disbelief is that it takes several hours to repair the plane but zero time to swap out major components like hulls. I'd rather like it if the game required a mini-service (like we're thinking of adding) to change upgrades. Like, you'd change your upgrade loadout, hit the apply button, and do a short service to install 'em and repair some condition.

Nooo! More time to wait before we can do stuff! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:59 am 
Flirt

Amira Navaras wrote:

This. Think about it. If we add mini-services, we won't be using such large chunks of time to service, so we'll have more time to spare.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:48 pm 

Herley wrote:
Also, until you hit your endgame plane, don't bother changing out guns. It's a waste of money.

Most certainly not true! At least not if you plan on making any money flying combats; upgrading to a better gun is an easy way to allow you to fight more dangerous combats (and thus make more money and earn more early combat points). Depending on how much combat you do, T1 or T2 are good places to starts using the Flak, LA, or Howie. I'm personally very partial to the Flak on all perf planes.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm 
Helpful

Please please please never spend more on guns than it would take to buy your next plane.

Same thing goes more-or-less for upgrades, though those are at least reusable.