Server Costs Jun

Ends in 12 days 0%
It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sticky faction descriptions
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:09 pm 
Smashing Pumpkins

Faction: Independent

With the big debate about how different factions operate, I thought it would be useful to have a sticky thread here for each faction to describe themselves and explain their philosophy and how they're governed. And I thought it would be appropriate here because lots and lots of new players ask about what the factions are and which they should join, and I think General has enough sticky threads already.

Post subject: Re: Sticky faction descriptions
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:21 pm 

Faction: Flight School
http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Capital_ ... Travelogue

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:35 pm 
Developer

Talon Karrde wrote:
http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Capital_City:_A_Travelogue

See also http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Factions .

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:42 pm 
Smashing Pumpkins

Faction: Independent

Calvin wrote:
Talon Karrde wrote:
http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Capital_City:_A_Travelogue

See also http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Factions .

That's nice and concise, but doesn't say very much about how they actually operate. (And much of what it says about my faction is, um, inconsistent with recent events.)

Talon's link seems to be closer to what I want, but is rather long winded. And my faction seems to be a biblioarchy (our books make all our decisions for us). That's.... not very useful.

Also, I don't think many players would think to look there for this information (and I notice neither of those pages is linked from the Skybrary main page nor from the catalog).

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:51 pm 
Helpful

Faction: Azure League

I'm sorry the Factions Summary is old. I wrote it when the EO and CV were all of two and a half months of age, and it pleases me to imagine that it may have had a hand in the recruitment to develop them into more established factions. Its current events remarks could certainly stand updating, but I'm hesitant to step on the toes of our friends the RP Guides.

I'm also sorry the Travelogue is old. I'll 'fess to making up half the stuff on the Order and the Court, which weren't very established at the time. I'd like to run the experiment again someday now that they're better understood, but not until until I can give it a solid two weeks as I did the first time. I won't claim a monopoly, though -- I can offer several tips to anybody who'd like to give it a try!

I'm only a little sorry the Travelogue is long-winded. It rather grew in the telling (to paraphrase Tolkien). But it's not really intended as a quick-reference document; the hope was to provide not only information, but factional atmosphere.

More to your point, Kalin, that's an interesting question. I could write a little on my understanding of the governments established by the Big Three, but I'd need to do research before I could say much about Clara's government or about the Western Court. Expect me back in a bit, with at least a few words on the Azure League.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:53 am 
Helpful

Faction: Azure League

:blue: The Azure League is governed mainly by shouting a lot. Everybody convenes in one place -- represented by the Azure League Forums right here on this very site -- and expresses opinions until a sort of general consensus forms. No Skyrate is refused the chance to speak, and no Skyrate is bound to any decision without personal consent.

This system can be called slow: often it takes weeks or even months for a consensus to form. We find it eventually does, since everybody's devoted to the system; otherwise they'd join another faction.

This system doesn't easily restrain rogue elements, which can lead to other factions accusing the League of failing to restrain members. A Blue would note that that's exactly the point: none of us wants to be restrained. We are, however, amenable to being convinced; otherwise we'd fly the orange flag.

When necessary, true Blues can recognize each other by a secret handshake.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:20 am 
Explorer

Eskay wrote:
When necessary, true Blues can recognize each other by a secret handshake.

Secret Handshakes generously provided by Clandestine Greetings Ltd., purveyors of encryptions, secret greetings, and cutting edge security since 204 AU.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:36 am 

:green: The Jade Hand :green:

"May the Coins of Fortune fall in your hands, and may the Winds of Change blow in your favor..."

The Jade Hand composes of two very different organizations working together. The conspiratorial NPC-led Merchant's Guild and the player-led Emerald Republic. I'll spare you the history lesson on how we got that way, but suffice it to say that we are now unified under a single :greenflag: . Go us. :green:

Players who join the Jade Hand typically go one of two routes, but it's actually not nearly as important as you might think which one you choose. Some players like to align themselves with the Merchant's Guild, whereas others like to align themselves with the Emerald Republic. It's important to note that your preference is based entirely on how you'd like to roleplay, if at all. If you're not the roleplaying-type, that's fine. You don't have to be. :)

At any rate, our government is rather simple. Every 3 months, we have an election. Anyone can run-- provided they are a Emerald Republic member. We elect five officials, who represent the players in our Faction.

In order to reach a consensus on a given issue, these five officials debate amongst each other on possible solutions. Once they feel as though all of the feasible options have been laid out, they announce to the rest of the Faction what the issue was, what the possible solutions are, and what they feel to be the best solution. They then ask the rest of the Faction for a vote. Think of it kind of like... introducing the problem to the rest of the faction.

A common criticism we receive is that we're very bureaucratic. In turbulent times, we can have a great deal many votes. However, the plus side is that one of our favorite sayings is

We're a very close-knit community, but that can probably be said for every faction except the Crimson Armada (I kid! I kid!).

We tend to attract players who...

++ Like to play the Patriot. It's not uncommon to hear "...for the People!" from a Jade Hand member.

++ Feel as though Influence should come secondary to Profit. We were originally a Guild of Merchants, after all.

++ Like to play the Businessman/Businesswoman. "Profit" is a word you'll hear quite often.

++ Enjoy things like research and cross-referencing. However, players who enjoy these things also tend to fit in well with the Azure League :blue: and the Earthen Order :brown: .

++ Prefer Order and Structure. However, players who enjoy these things also tend to fit in well with the Crimson Armada :red: .

++ Want to play the Shadows. Conspiracy theories are not uncommon regarding the Closed Hand: The Merchant's Guild.

Here's what the five offices are in charge of:

President-- oversees the political aspects of the Faction; coordination of offices and whatnot.

Vice President-- steps into the President's duty when the President is absent, as well as balances out the President, preventing the Prez (ideally) from going too far.

Secretary of Internal Affairs-- manages our Sekret forum.

Secretary of Defense-- organizes the various players and teams that make up the Jade Hand influence runners.

Secretary of Foreign Affairs-- represents our Faction to the rest of Skytopia and handles negotiations between the Jade Hand and other political entities.

And here's some posters to help entice you:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:21 pm 

In case you are attracted to big shiny ads I present to you this.

(free lift tickets if you join!)

Also, another square ad to wet your apatite:

To testify about the awesomeness of the Hand, I will share my experiences. I joined the hand as a young and silly skyrate solely because I had a trading plane and enjoyed flying it. I found the community very warm and welcoming, and it did not take long for me to be involved in the discussion of issues, and even running for office. I was encouraged to try my hand at the advertising, and was amazed at how well received it was by the community. Basically, the Hand is not a group of players, but a group of friends, and we are always happy to welcome a new person into the group.

:greenflag: :green: :greenflag: