Server Costs Jun

Ends in 12 days 0%
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Flight Techniques
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:55 pm 
Combat Guru

Faction: Azure League

He is correct on both counts. Dollar for dollar you're much better served upgrading your plane. And I personally don't recommend buying guns until t3 or possibly even later.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:08 pm 
Flying Left

Faction: Crimson Armada

finalfunk wrote:
Question 6) Is it worth buying upgrades / upgrading guns on Tier 1 or Tier 2 craft, or is it better to just save your money and chase after a new plane in the next tier?

Combat junkies might get value from light armor plating, that's pretty cheap, I'd wait until Tier 2, though. Extra ammo is cheap enough to pick up anytime you have 2500 squigs. (Tier 2 as well?)

If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us. -Hermann Hesse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:32 pm 

Faction: Azure League

finalfunk wrote:
Well, this board is called Flight school, is it not?...

What's your favorite technique for getting out of a 'following loop' (two planes infinitely circling) when your opponent is:

1) less maneuverable than you

Keep turning until you blow him or her away.

Quote:
2) evenly matched (i.e. speed and turning radius)
3) more maneuverable than you

When I'm ahead in the turn and just beyond my opponent's arcs, I enjoy maintaining the turn while doing a sidestep (<-<-<- or ->->->) in the opposite direction of the turn. It frequently results in the opponent overshooting me and ending up right in my front arcs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:32 pm 

Faction: Flight School
Cool tip, Mr. Fluffy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:44 pm 

Faction: Flight School
best combat tip for newbies: pick up port and polish and R sticker asap. the 30 extra max speed makes a huge difference.

When flying against performance craft alot faster than you (havoc, nova) practice your loops. If you turn perpendicular (basically turn so they are aiming at your wings instead of the front or back of your plane) and loop, you can avoid their guns completely because of their speed. It also has the added benefit if you have rear arcs as you can hit them with your tail arc while doing this. (Kittyhawk is the best T2 plane in the game as with a bit of practice you can take out any ship up to T8 fairly consistently)

Flying against ships with flak are the most dangerous because criticals always hit (and flaks basically spray out crits) even with armor class you will want to avoid flaks as much as you can. One way to do this if you have armor class is to enter the range of the OTHER arcs FIRST. Because flaks only fire once per second, if you enter another arc first, they will fire all the arcs meaning you have under a second to get through the flak arc and out to safety. Usually this means barely letting their MGs light up then afterburner/airbrake once you see the shot fired.