Register / Log in

Server Costs Oct

Ends in 18 days 0%
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Low Level Unknown Whereabouts destinations?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:08 pm 

Faction: Flight School
Lion wrote:
I've got a hunch he's around one of the starter skylands for new skyrates.

I carried two of these into the starter skylands, and picked up a third on the first starter skyland I hit. I've made full circuit, and am still carrying one of the missions I brought in with me and the one I picked up at Steppe.

Is it possible for the mission's destination to be the same as its source? [heh]

Is there any chance two had the same destination and thus only one cleared when I hit it?

Is there a bug with missions failing to complete when executing a queue and the game is still running in the browser while you've gone off to watch TV (rather than closing the window when you go)?

Could the destination be a fuel platform?

Do I just need to widen my search a bit beyond the FL0 skylands? [I've started doing this.] Is his hunch simply flat-out wrong?

Post subject: Re: Low Level Unknown Whereabouts destinations?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:27 pm 
Incarnation of Rock

Faction: Court of Violets

Unknown whereabouts lies. All the unknown whereabouts missions, regardless of where they say they're going, can go to any skyland. This includes ones you can't reach or haven't unlocked yet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:42 pm 
Flying Left

Faction: Crimson Armada

And with 50 to choose from, even with an Ingersoll built for speed it's a Really Bad Deal. Except for combat jockey alts who are trying to avoid a noticeable amount of end game influence gains.

If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us. -Hermann Hesse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:39 am 

Thought I saw a forum post somewhere saying that they were supposed to be fixed. Not sure what that means, though.

I've now cleared three of them (they seemed like a good source of cash if I was going to be bouncing around the core anyway, and, funny thing, once you have one, it seems like you might as well fill up on them since you're doing a search pattern anyway...), and my destinations have so far all beein in FL<=1 skylands within 1000km of the source. Not enough data points to say much, but I'm getting vaguely hopeful that they might actually not be terrible, though I think I've also passed the point where all the inconvenient flights to do a complete search pattern are worth the money. It would have been nice if I'd been seeing them back when I was confined to the core, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:48 pm 
Developer

Marc wrote:
Could the destination be a fuel platform?
Nope. Skylands only.
KarHallarn wrote:
Unknown whereabouts lies. All the unknown whereabouts missions, regardless of where they say they're going, can go to any skyland. This includes ones you can't reach or haven't unlocked yet.
This was once the case, but IIRC this bug was fixed quite a while ago.
Marc wrote:
Do I just need to widen my search a bit beyond the FL0 skylands? [I've started doing this.]
What FL did you have when you picked up the Mission, Marc? In theory (see note above), you won't be offered missions for skylands you cannot yet reach.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:12 pm 

Thanks Calvin,

I'm FL3. Is the "hunch" text completely meaningless and it's just constrained to what you can reach, or is it actually constrained/weighted toward the core? If the former, it would be nice if the text were changed to something less misleading, especially as it's new players who are most likely to be considering this mission.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:56 am 
Developer

I don't know. Hopefully someone with more experience running Unknown Whereabouts Missions will chime in here.
I don't think I've attempted a single one this round.