Register / Log in

Server Costs Jun

Ends in 6 days 0%
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Some Starter Tips for The New Booming Group of FSers!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:11 pm 
Muse

Faction: Jade Hand

Well, I've witnessed two players join (or rejoin after years) just today, and another the other day. A lot of them had a lot of the same questions, and I think we should have a link for it all so I don't have to say it all twenty times a day. :grin:

First off, everyone wants to know, "What do you mean, I shouldn't service? I need fuel!"
Well, in the current version of Skyrates, fuel doesn't exist. Rely on your range for that. Apparently the tutorial is out of date and hasn't been fixed to remind us all that servicing is only good for condition.

On that note, "When should I service, then?"
Depending on what your playstyle is, you might have differing preferences. I am a picky little person, and always keep my condition above 80%. But most people are less likely to do that, and some even refuse to service at all.
Servicing returns your condition to 100% for a small cost and a lot of time, so choose wisely when you service.
Also keep in mind that you start getting negative affects at 90%, and another every 10% down, until 0%. Once at 0%, you will get a new affect every day, until you service. Also note that servicing takes the first five negative affects and flips them. For example, I have -15% Mission Reward; When I service, it will become +15% Mission Reward, until I service again.

Next is the tactics you want to go through. Regardless of what kind of player you are, the CR-4P is the /last/ thing you want to be in during earlygame. Don't spend money on guns or upgrades until you get to about Tier 3, as it would cost more than just getting a better plane. Also, if your CR-4P is at a condition lower than 60, you've been in it too long. Go buy a plane, and you'll be much happier.
Also, when you do get a plane, if it has a crew slot, get a Navigator. They level up the slowest, but also have the most benefits, for any type of player. They can (when they are a higher level) speed up your flights, and they also have the ability to increase or decrease the number of combats you get. Also, don't /ever/ spend skill points on Smuggling Skill. It literally has no use in the current version of skyrates.

Now we can play on your preferences. "I'm a fighter!" "I want to trade." "I just want to fly around!" For each of you, there is a simple start plan that should get you in your Tier 2 plane within 48 hours.
If you want to fight, start flying between skylands. Take the combats manually as they show up. This early, it's about 15 minutes apart per combat, so it could be a while. It'd be in your best interest to take along some trading or missions, just to boost your income.
Traders, get the optimum stock and take it to the scarcest skyland. This could be different depending on when you started playing. Skyrates has a simulated market, and things do change. "Buy Purple, Sell Red" is your motto. Those are your best chances for income. Also, taking out a few missions and spiking a few pirates over the head couldn't hurt.
For you explorers, find your biggest reward out of the missions that you can take on. You can have a total of 3, but you probably won't see that many too early, here. You should grab a bit to trade and be ready to hit some pirates over the head, too. Keep in mind, though; if you are doing influence (another reward of missions), you should only do this with ONE CHARACTER (of four you may make). If you do more, then you are abusing the alts, and are cheating.
Did I stress the part where you did all three, anyway?
You can't get anywhere fast through one tactic, in Skyrates. If you want profit, Missions, Combat, and Trade, combined, is the best you can get. Remember that if you want to take a mission, it costs cargo space, which can interfere with trading.

Speaking of trading, "I just lost a combat! Oh no!"
Well, yeah. Everyone loses a combat every now and then, and the Tutorial tells you that you will lose cargo. Even the note at the end says the pirates stole it. Actually, though, they didn't. Both of these things are out of date. There are no major losses for failing a combat. Except for some crew morale, which can be fixed very quickly, if you split booty and profit. A happier crew gives better bonuses. Also, the failure of certain missions, which point out that they will fail if you lose a combat.
Note that losing a combat in the Auto-Resolver does not count against missions, but does for crew morale.

Factions; taste the rainbow.
There's several factions, all summarized here. You can find one that suits you, but you should also take into account the players that reside in these factions. For example, most of Red's players are really into the infwar, whereas the Blues are more laid back about it.

Anyhow, let me summarize that all:
-Don't service unless you need to. Fuel doesn't exist.
-Your first priority is a better plane. Then a Navigator. Then your guns and upgrades.
-Don't spend Points on Smuggling, and keep away from Combat Infamy until later.
-Trade, Combat, AND do Missions (Just one character). You'll get more money. Also, do combat patrols (not to be confused with hunts) when you're staying at a skylet.
-Don't worry about losing a combat. Your cargo wasn't stolen.
-Make sure that only ONE CHARACTER is doing influence missions. Otherwise it is considered alt-abuse and you are cheating.
-Don't rush into factions until you've met some of the players in them.

One last thing; if you still have questions, post here, in the forum, or ask in the Radio Chat! You'll get much more specific knowledge, there. You might even check the Wiki, linked on the bottom of the play page. (Or here, for you lazy people.)
Also, you more experienced players, feel free to add/dispute the things here. I'm not the best of players. :remygross:

Last edited by Maya on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Some Starter Tips for The New Booming Group of FSers!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:51 am 
Smashing Pumpkins

Faction: Independent

Maya wrote:
If you want to fight, start flying between skylands.

Also fight patrols every time you land. That's actually the easiest and fastest way to get combat points when you're still in a cr4p.

Quote:
There is nothing to lose for being shot down.

Wrong, some crew will lose morale, which lowers their bonuses until you restore their morale (mainly from splitting profits and booty). It works based on crew personality: Eager crew lose a lot of morale when shot down and take forever to regain it, Grizzled crew never lose morale, the others are in between. Use this to identify what personality a crew member has before you hire them (ignore what it says about how personality works; it never really worked like that). This is only really noticeable if you're foolish enough (like me) to hire an eager navi.

Quote:
-Trade, Combat, AND do Missions. I don't care who you are. Do all of them, and you'll get more money.

If you create multiple characters, only do missions with one of them. Right now we're busy debating what exactly is meant by Alt Abuse, so it's best to be safe until that's settled.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:35 am 
Flying Left

Faction: Crimson Armada

Kalin wrote:
Quote:
-Trade, Combat, AND do Missions. I don't care who you are. Do all of them, and you'll get more money.

If you create multiple characters, only do missions with one of them. Right now we're busy debating what exactly is meant by Alt Abuse, so it's best to be safe until that's settled.

Notes on this:
-A flight schooler is okay taking missions of any size. viewtopic.php?p=97220#p97220
-That said, taking risky missions in a CR4P can make your combat life horrifying. Start with a single Low risk mission and build up to your happy place. Combat ones are a good bet that early on. Taking a mission that takes seven hours to deliver and fills your cargo hold just interferes with your trade capacity.
-But, you have no crew to demoralize.
-And if you realize you've gone and taken three high risk missions and are getting PWNED, you can open the Missions tab and drop one or all of them.

If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn't part of ourselves doesn't disturb us. -Hermann Hesse

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:51 pm 
Muse

Editted and fixed;
-Do patrols.
-Missions for ONE CHARACTER.
-Morale loss for failing a combat.
Thanks, guys.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:12 pm 
Developer

Feel free to invest your energies here: http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Manual

EDIT: Also, there's http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:15 pm 
Harrisian Fez

Faction: Earthen Order

There is one more penalty for loss. Some missions will have their rewards decrease and will be failed outright if you lose often enough. Pay attention to the mission descriptions, and watch out for the ones that say not to get shot down.

Also, you probably shouldn't rush into factions. The best thing to do is watch the chat for a while, lurking if you prefer, and see who you'd most like to hang out with. There are also a few useful Skybrary articles on that, like this summary and, if you think you've got the patience, Dr. Ether's Guide to Choosing a Faction. Brace yourselves, it's a long read. :razz:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:27 pm 
Muse

Done.
-Mission Failure due to Combat Losses
-Faction stuffs.