Register / Log in

Server Costs Sep

Ends in 11 days 0%
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: [Help] Please help young new pilot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:39 am 

Faction: Flight School
Hello I'm a newn pilot, I just completed the tutorial and fight some pirates and I am currently flying to another island with a full cargo of bread. I have some questions about the game plz help !!!

1> The combat scene :

I only use the arrow buttons and the space bar button to shoot (took me a while to find out), is there other button/weapon that I can use ? May I have a tutorial for it ?

2> Where to buy ammo ? Or is it illimited ?

3> How can I upgrade a sub-system of a ship ? Weapon system for example ? When I buy new ship will I lose all the upgrades ?

4> Can I randomly find other crafts (of other people) and shoot them down ?

5> Can I buy bombs and bomb a skyland to oblivon ?

Thanks, fellow pilots, and have fun !!

Post subject: Re: [Help] Please help young new pilot
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:12 am 
Min-Maxer

Faction: Court of Violets

kmdarkmaster wrote:
1> The combat scene :

I only use the arrow buttons and the space bar button to shoot (took me a while to find out), is there other button/weapon that I can use ? May I have a tutorial for it ?
You can use ctrl to turn faster and the number keys to perform various maneuvers leant through skills. Pictures corresponding to these, with their numbers, will appear above your speed bar when you acquire them. Said pictures can also be clicked to trigger the maneuver.
Quote:
2> Where to buy ammo ? Or is it illimited ?
There is no limit to ammo. Though you can force a reload in combat with the 'r' key.
Quote:
3> How can I upgrade a sub-system of a ship ? Weapon system for example ? When I buy new ship will I lose all the upgrades ?
The Mole mechanic on Skylands can upgrade your ship, using upgrades from your inventory. This is also where you purchase upgrades, with the upgrades varying between Skylands. These are not lost when you change plane. You can also purchase different gun types from said Mole.

Beyond this, you can find gun mods after defeating pirates these will build up in your Mod Inventory up to a maximum of 10. These can be installed on a gun in the Gunsmith section of you Craft page. Click on an 'arc'/gun and it will allow you to install up to 3 per 'arc'/gun. These will stay if you change the gun type on the plane, but not when you change planes.

Quote:
4> Can I randomly find other crafts (of other people) and shoot them down ?

5> Can I buy bombs and bomb a skyland to oblivon ?
Not as such in either case.

The in game tutorial is wayyyyy out of date, but you can find a lot of answers on the wiki at http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ. and various other pages therein

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:44 am 

Thank you, I will try to surf through the wiki and find more infos there.
Also, can we have the posibility of fighting other peoples in this game ? Or we can only fight pirates and trade and explore the world ? There's no combat between two 2 sides with many ships involved ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:38 am 
Remy Costume

Faction: Azure League

kmdarkmaster wrote:
Thank you, I will try to surf through the wiki and find more infos there.
Also, can we have the posibility of fighting other peoples in this game ? Or we can only fight pirates and trade and explore the world ?

PvP has been decidedly not been enforced due to the length of combats and maneuvers available and craft from player to player. It's seen as endless loops with little progress being made most of the time. Though other PvP elements have been suggested such as races, though no multiplayer is coded into the game beyond the chat radios

Quote:
There's no combat between two 2 sides with many ships involved ?

This is seen more as the faction wars and is decided over mission influence points rather than aerial dogfighting.If you join one of the several factions by visiting their capitols (Their names will have a color other than white to represent their faction HQ), joining and running missions on islands. This is the only true in game world fighting players can do with one another

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:06 pm 

Thanks for the answer.
If I may have a suggestion I think a little of PvP would be good for the game though. You can avoid all those combat scene stuffs by simply generating a battle report (between 2 fleets of different factions, taking into account the number of planes, the level of the planes, leaderships...), this can be more fun !!!! :woodman:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:57 pm 

is there anything on coop PvP? (well I guess it wouldn't technically be PvP but it'd be cool to fight off a massive hidden fleet with some wingmates)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:14 pm 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

I've been wanting Coop / wingmen combat for a while, so I'll toss in my support for this suggestion yet again.

The strategic/Auto-resolver PvP sounds like an interesting concept as well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:23 pm 
Remy Costume

I think in regards to calculations based PvP that would be imbalanced as some factions have more people as members compared to another (I.E. The Violets vs the Order) and more domination of skylands.

But cooperative play I would fully support. I'd love to be the gunner of a friend's plane or vice versa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:35 am 

Hi everyone,

It's me again. I made some progress and will soon buy a tier-2 plane. I think it's time for me to choose a faction. The two factions that interest me are the Azure League (mad scientist ftw lolol) and the other is the Court of Violet ('cause they are mysterious). Normally I would choose the Azure League since they are behind and I want to choose the weaker and help raising it up the rank, but the wiki says that Azure League players often don't care about winning over other factions, so I'm hesitating... (if there 's too few people who actually play it will be difficult to actually win).

So... is that true ? Or Blue people play Infwar too ? And can someone give me some tips about choosing factions ? Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:14 pm 

If you really want to choose a faction, just pick one and go with it awhile. You could also talk to the members of that faction in General Chat and see if you like them. As for cause and effect in choosing a faction, there isn't much of a reason to join any faction over another and the effect is all the same, you can run influence for that team and your name changes color.

As far as the Inf War goes, size of the team doesn't matter too much, that is coming from experience in the Earthen Order. What really matters most is time commitment. You can be effective without putting in too much time, but if you want to be a major player in Inf Wars, you have to put it a little more time than most. If you take a quick look at the Fame Tab, you would see that there are plenty of Blue people that run Inf, at least enough to put them in 3rd place at the moment. It really just depends on the general consensus in Blue, if people want to play Inf they are going to be a big team otherwise they will be a smaller but still effective team.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 am 
Remy Costume

As a Blue I can tell you that we do have goals to take control of skylands so that part is more of a historical philosophy than an actual in-game practice. We also like hats. Many many hats

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:15 am 
Explorer

Aldin Forseth wrote:
As a Blue I can tell you that we do have goals to take control of skylands so that part is more of a historical philosophy than an actual in-game practice. We also like hats. Many many hats

I've been a fairly solid inf runner, at least as of last round. (Curse you college!)

It's still a little early I think for "hardcore" inf running, but once I'm in my plane I like, I'll be more active there. Blue has at least one inf related wing, if you look at the IDAD link in my sig. It's been quiet lately, but blue was running last round pretty well I think.

In the end, it's up to you. Talk to folks, try a faction out, and if you like 'em, stick with 'em. Do a tour of the factions even, if you'd like!

Personally, I joined blue for two reasons. One, was I liked their IC theme of scientists and explorers. Two, red was pounding them inf-wise at the time, and I saw them as the underdog.

I haven't really regretted it. But again, your results may vary.

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:51 am 

Hehe, thanks for the support. I will try to join Blue as soon as I have the ability to get to Islo. I have more than enough money to buy a T2 plane now but it just refuses to show up. Blue is now 4th so I will help the underdog lol.

As for the radio most of the time I don't know what they are talking about, sometime they roleplay even in general and I don't understand what the {static} is happening lol. OK have a nice day people.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:11 pm 
Explorer

kmdarkmaster wrote:
As for the radio most of the time I don't know what they are talking about, sometime they roleplay even in general and I don't understand what the {static} is happening lol. OK have a nice day people.

Heh. I've been here since '08, and I STILL sometimes walk into crazy stuff in chat I don't get. It's part of the communities charm....

Or collective mental disorder, I'm not sure yet. :razz:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 pm 
Remy Costume

kmdarkmaster wrote:
Hehe, thanks for the support. I will try to join Blue as soon as I have the ability to get to Islo. I have more than enough money to buy a T2 plane now but it just refuses to show up. Blue is now 4th so I will help the underdog lol.

hehe, GC is just a mishmash of random WTF moments that you can easily enter and leave as you please. You can steer whole conversations to a topic you pick if it appeals. Of course Zhana will pounce most people he knows and you'll get people going back and forth, but you can ignore them as you please. Just give it a shot and we'll all be friendly and not random (no promises) to you

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:40 am 

Hi everyone,

I managed to join Blue now but I see no Blue forum (i am supposed to see that forum when i join a faction right ?)
Can somebody show me where the forum is or am i missing something ?
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:03 am 
Explorer

It should be under announcements and factions, then Azure League. Or here. viewforum.php?f=21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:21 am 

Naes Draw wrote:
It should be under announcements and factions, then Azure League. Or here. viewforum.php?f=21

I don't see that forum and when I clicked on the link you provided there's a message saying that "I don't have right to access it", pleeesse helllp !!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:36 am 
Explorer

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9628&p=100542#p100542

:point: Info, they are working on fixing it.