Register / Log in

Server Costs Dec

Ends in 15 days 0%
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: What Music are you listening to?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:08 am 

Faction: Flight School
OK I'm a sucker for finding new music to listen to, and the free radio waves just aren't doing it for me anymore. I use Pandora and XM radio to find new stuff but I'm insatiable when it comes to music.

I've built my own I-Pod ($70 for parts for a 120GB Player vs. $400 for an I-pod was a win win for me) and currently have over 3000 (13Gb - I fat fingered it the first time) songs on it so I'm always collecting...

But "Feed me! Seymour!"

What's cool that you all are listening to?

Last edited by Lokibaltazar on Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:30 am 

Music is about taste, my friend.

What I consider good music might not be quite your cup of tea.
So give us an idea of what you're looking for, and maybe we can help ya out. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:43 am 

That's the thing though. It doesn't matter. I don't restrict myself to types. I have preferences but even within those preferences there is still stuff I like.

For example I don't really like Hip Hop / Rap as a general rule, but I love the song "Fuego" by Pitbull.

Can't stand Most country but it doesn't stop me from having Brooks and Dunn in my collection.

So, no restrictions. I want to know what perks your ears, I'll hit up I-tunes and check it out, I might find something new.

OK I'll start -

Since I often need music to drown out the sounds of the office while I develop code I like music without hard driving lyrics... right now I am listening to an album called:

Golden Cap by Entheogenic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:52 am 
Flying

Cirque du Soleil! Their stuff is beautiful.

Token female of both ERN and the 7th Street Capulets ^_~[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:54 am 

Vernian Process is plain wonderful.

Unknown Hinson is fun - a 400 year old Country & Western ventriloquist vampire? Ayia!

Ruth Wallis is an old time favorite.

And lots of ska ... all three waves.

Fakts still exist even if they are ignored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:56 am 

I've been really digging on a song called "Breakdown" by Handsome Boy Modeling School. And I've been enamored of a song called "Magical Colors (31 Flavors)" by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. A longtime favorite is called "The Natives are Restless" by Don Tiki.

I've also been slowly adding songs to a playlist called Flying Music which is nice to have on in the background while I shred the sky.

See this? This is my BOOMSTICK!

Post subject:

I, personally, enjoy really instrumental music.

So I humbly put forth a suggestion for "Dying in Blankets of Snow" from the album "Faceless Actions of Myself" by the artist Shizu.

Post subject:

I am kinda the same as you, although I have like 1400 albums, not song.. well I am kidding, I got like 500 :P

I could do a 5000 words essay about all the groups I recommend you to listen to... I write with like 3 people every week (only about music), it could be a book of emails of last three months.

Well, what to say, I'll just do a little sum, like 1/20 of what I find good.

But first - one thing - don't listen to the radio, it's useless. You never start to like a group by hearing it once, well it can't happen but you will miss most of them anyway. For me, it often takes weeks, sometimes months and of course with complicated music, years.

I am now going to talk about the music, if you want some and can't get it, I can always offer mp3s (Oh my god, illegal stuff at skyrates!! :P) so just write me @ icq 281363667, raelz@jabber.com or dahnraelz@gmail.com (I got skype and msn.. but well I guess these are enough :P)

So, recently I've been digging alot into progressive stuff (thanks to engles, one guy I email with about prog music :) and well.. a little list heh
Apart from the classics like (mixtures of art-rock etc..) Yes, Genesis which are pretty known, I recently started to really like Marillion (recommend Fugazi), IQ (recommend The Wake), Emmerson lake and palmer (those one are really hard to listen, I recommend you tarkus) and King Crimson (Starless and Bible black for sure, one of the greates albums in history imo).
I also know lot of more recent progressive rock, to say some.. Liquid Tension Experiment (it's actually more prog-metal, they made two albums, I love the second one) and After Crying (first four albums are imo one of the best music ever, they're much more like symphonic rock/classical music than progressive rock, actually)

I would also like to point-out post rock and ingenious Evpatoria Report. Find them at myspace and listen to some of their music, its amazing. From post-rock I also like Yndi Halda, but they're not as good at all.

Now, this was probably like 1/50? :D

So now more easy-to-listen music. Indie rock. Franz Ferdinand and Arctic monkeys, both are absolutely amazing, I have more indie rock, but except these two I never found any REALLY good ones.

I really want to cut this off now heh, so just briefly :P
I like techno, trance (psytrance) aswell. Famous Prodigy is really cool ofc, then for example Infected mushroom (psytrance), or Pendulum for dnb.
If you want some untypical music, something really interesting, you could try Tin Hat (they used to have "Trio" in name) which is like classical music with many influences, Laurie Anderson, which is just hypnotical music, she just talks most of the time, sometimes sings.. or for example Sonic youth, those are really worth it - noise rock.. amazing (If you do, start with the album "Sonic nurse", it's new and not so hard and then try to move onto for example "Confusion is sex")

Oh.. did I say at least some? Grr.. I really want to mention more. So just names. Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd (can't NOT mention them), Blur, Bentley Rhythm Ace, Coldplay, Frames, Gentle Giant, Gorillaz (if you don't know them, then believe me, you have to - they're not hard to undrestand and they're amazing), Jethro Tull... and well, 5050545466 more

long post, huh? :P

Last edited by raelz on Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:58 am 
Developer

I have pretty wide tastes, what genres are you into? can you give us a starting point by naming something you like?

Personally, lately I've been exploring jazz, especially free jazz, which can be pretty hard to listen to. I enjoy it but wouldn't necessarily recommend it.

Here are some favorites of mine anyway
Metal: in flames, cannibal corpse, early metallica (pretty well-known stuff there), opeth

Instrumental: cardinale, pelican, irepress...

Rap: onyx, mf doom, lots of older hip-hop like a tribe called quest

Trip-hop: portishead, dj shadow, (but haven't gotten into the outsider) massive attack in small doses (they get old fast)

Techno: underworld, i think of some bjork as belonging here, skalpel might be more trip-hop

"easy" jazz: miles davis, louis armstrong (especially "the great summit"), ella fitzgerald, thelonious monk

"hard" jazz: sun ra, ornette coleman, zappa also fits this category for me

country: willie nelson, johnny cash, hank williams sr., easy old classics

bluegrass: flatt & scruggs, the puffin' billies, south austin jug band (love new bluegrass) obviously alison kraus & union station go without saying. jerry douglas is amazing

blues: john lee hooker, muddy waters, robert johnson, old savoy brown, janis joplin

pop rock: if you don't love weezer and/or presidents of the united states, check your pulse. coldplay is extremely saccharine but nice sometimes.

classic rock: my favorites are hendrix, early blue oyster cult, earlier pink floyd (love meddle), buffalo

soft stuff: iron & wine, nick drake, carla bruni, jorge drexler, alexi murdoch

classical (yes, i know these should be broken out to sub-genres): beethoven, chopin, scriabin, j.s. bach, debussy, elgar, haydn... oh man long list.

singer/songwriter: mike doughty, ani difranco, paul simon, fiona apple

other: soul coughing, ravi shankar, gabby pahinui, brazilian girls

music is life.

-PL-

Last edited by phil on Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:03 am 

Awesome start guys and gals thank you so much! Oh and Raelz, um yeah Gorillaz? Feel Good and Clint Eastwood.. yeah..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:18 am 

I recently started listening to the Allman Brothers band again. Specifically Live at the Fillmore East & An Evening with the Allman Brothers first set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:28 am 

for Phil... pretty similar

Metal: Puddle of Mudd, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Godsmark, Slip Knot, Static - X

Instrumental: Tosca (this is probably electronic more), Bob Holroyd, Blue Stone, PhuturePrimitive (ambient - Jungle - trust me it is...), Boozoo Bayou Filla Brazilla

Rap: not so much

Trip-hop: portishead, massive attack in small doses both yesses, I don't know enough to categorize others here in.

Techno: Crystal Method, Chemical Brothers.

"easy" jazz: do the verve remixes count? Madeline Peyroux, Spyro Gyra

"hard" jazz: Do the squirrel Nut Zippers count?

bluegrass: This area is new to me, I haven't heard much there yet, so I look forward to hearing some of your favorites

blues: More modern for me, I love claptons blues. Hothouse Flowers

pop rock: Pulse Checked, not dead.

classic rock: I flow towards Zepp, floyd, anything late 60's early 70's...

soft stuff: iron & wine, alexi murdoch, Calexico (awesome!!) Five for fighting

classical Never got much into the basics here.. <<sigh>> there is always time I suppose.

other: I like things that end up having a southwest/slightly mexican flavor to them.

Examples are Calexico any album, The Sonnes De Mexico's rendition of Zeppelins "Four Sticks".

I also like things that incorporate voice as a musical instrument (IE not necessarily lyrics) and also music that incorporates an accoustical instrument in it. A good example of this was Days of the New.

Wow I am so all over the board...

Thanks again everyone. That's a lot for me to look at already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:50 am 

I have recently found myself a profound liking for varied older rock and blues classics. Some pop here and there, too.

For example, I havee begun exploring The Beatles and Boston, Simon & Garfunkel, Supertramp and The Rolling Stones.

I'm also really into Stevie Ray Vaughn, George Thorogood, ZZ Top, The Doors and Jimi Hendrix. Some Michael Jackson and Styx here and there, too.

If you like rock/ska music, I suggest you try Less Than Jake.
Bran Van 3000 makes sick stuff.
Sublime's songs are deep. And moving, in their own way.
Peaches is minimalist, yet raw and vulgar. "Shake your dicks, shake you dicks!"
I dust off Battle of Los Angeles (Rage Against the Machine) whenever I feel like starting a riot.
Most likely you already know of The Prodigy.

If you're not afraid of foreign languages, check out Polémil Bazar. They are absolutly wonderful.

I'm out of ideas for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:25 am 

You want the truth about music? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Well, maybe you can.

You want to know about me and music, there are two places you can go:
http://www.thesixtyone.com/golux13
http://mog.com/golux13

You go there, you see much music stuff from/about me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:19 pm 

You folks in here, do you have last.fm account? :)
I have started it not a long time ago, it's really cool! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:28 pm 

I have a di.fm but not one of which you speak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:01 pm 

I am currently listening to a "Band of Horses" album and was listening to "The Nationals".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:30 pm 

Ok, so recent addictions:

Alternative: Poe (Listen to the entire albums in one sitting, if possible), The Verve, Tegan and Sarah, Barenaked Ladies, Ani DiFranco, Damian Rice, Dresden Dolls, Squirrel Nut Zippers (Some of the best swing music since the late 50s), Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Gaelic Storm...

Dance: Groove Armada, DJ Earworm,

Rock: The Faders (Not the country band by the same name), Violent Femmes, Le Tigre, Garbage, Franz Ferdinand, The Headstones, She Wants Revenge, Muse, Dropkick Murphys,

Rap: Northern State, Speech

Classical: I'm listening to the Red Violin Soundtrack at the moment. It's fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:41 pm 

http://www.last.fm/user/Quarantined/

Check it out. 'guess you can click the bands for info. :wink:

Oh... and anyone else who has an account, feel free to add! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:25 pm 

http://www.last.fm/user/Supermedial

That's a cut of what I've been listening to lately. Kraftwerk is something anyone should listen to at least once.

"From the shoulder, beyond the wrist, watch out, evil - it's my fist!"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next