Server Costs Dec

Ends in 15 days 0%
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Dwarf Fortress: Skyrates Succession
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:22 pm 

Faction: Independent

16 Felsite 1054
An uninvited guest! I wonder if dropping the forgotten beast clothing into the underground cavern attracted him. At least he's stuck in the caverns for the time being....

23 Feltsite 1054
Usuth Asobkadol has grown attached to a copper battle axe. I encouraged him to make friends, and this is what he does.

3 Hematite 1054
It's a boy! Apparently dwarves give birth in corridors or on staircases, completely neglecting the shiny new fully outfitted hospital I set up. Ingrates.

24 Hematite 1054
The weaponsmith has been taken by a fey mood! It looks like we have everything he needs, so we'll keep a careful eye on him.

28 Hematite 1054
Bim Amikdkifod has grown attached to a knife. He must have seen how well his fellow farmer was making out with that axe and figured he'd give it a try himself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:03 pm 
Helpful

Faction: Flight School
With a name like Thrathnu Alanashra Adicacik, no wonder the beast was forgotten.

No offense to the Adicacik clan who are otherwise upstanding pillars of their community.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:07 pm 

2 Galena 1054
In an incredible fit of overcompensation, our weaponsmith creates a giant spike and names it. At least he didn't go crazy.

14 Limestone 1054
Now one of our carpenters have gotten all solitary. She claimed a workshop and gathered some materials, but we were missing something. I suspect it was spider silk, which is in short supply. Let's hope the caravan gets here first....

2 Timber 1054
Unfortunately the caravan didn't arrive in time and she lost her mind. At least she's not going crazy and attacking the others.

14 Timber 1054
As the end of my turn approached, I figured it was time to have a real dining hall, with engraved walls and smooth stone floors. Happy dwarves are busy dwarves. Still waiting on some chairs to be made and the large food stockpile room to be dug out. Lazy buggers.

That's it for my go. It was informative seeing how different people lay things out. We've now got a 3 squad military and I briefly experimented with putting them on patrols. One member got quite unhappy with the length so for the time being they're training unless needed. I pass the torch to Mah. Good luck!
Gamesave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:57 am 
Co-pilot

Alright then, let's see what's to be done.

1 Opal 1054

Dear Ancestors,

All I ever wanted was to dig. Couldn't you have given me that? Just a nice, quiet life, just me, the stones, and whatever gnoll-fisted idiot wanted to learn. But noooooo! You send me to this green hellhole on the edge of nowhere, where cats explode and mucus crawls and then you expect ME to run it?? This place is a madhouse! No symmetry, no continuity, just ideas crashing into each other and of course it's young Mah (thank you too, o dearest Ancestors, for gifting me with a mother who thought some great lumbering beast was a nice, womanly name) who has to look at the stone and figure out how to turn these idiot scratches into something halfway decent!

Anyway, dear watchers over those who have gone before, thank you for saddling me with this place, where something gooey crawls through the cellar and a hundred idiots come whining to me about how they can't find any water when they're not flinging rocks in a corner without the slightest care. They want water? I'll GIVE them water!

Yrs,

Mahmoth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:45 am 
Co-pilot

Late Opal

Dear Ancestors,

You mean to test me, don't you? First, you give me command of this icy {static}-hole, and now you send me my first madman. Some poor fool, whose only crime was an odd fondness for shiny things, suddenly downs tools and heads for the forges at a dead run. For a few days after, I almost got run over twice by this Ducim, his arms full of something thankfully unidentifiable. In spite of myself, I went over to the forge he'd been squatting in, and, leaning past his growls, took a look at what he was working with.

It was quite a pile, so hopefully it'll be something we can put in a nice spot, and something good'll finally come of this place. Anyway, must get back to rockslinging, even if I get the feeling there's something I've forgotten...

Yrs,

Mahmoth

Early Obsidian

Dear Ancestors,

You really are taking the piss, aren't you?

Yrs,

Mahmoth

PS: Ah! I remember what I forgot! Herley.

Somehow, my sister in stone had managed to get herself stuck in the well-shaft, so I had to scratch out a cross-tunnel to pick her out after one of the Farmers heard something mewling down the well and thought it sounded too human to be the Beast. Finally got through to her after a half-day's work, to find her half-deranged, living off moss and splashes of spilled water from the passing bucket. Hit a nice cluster of gems on the way past, too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:43 pm 
Flirt

Faction: Azure League

I love how absolutely no progress has been made on the pumpstack.

And then I got stuck in the wellshaft. Wonderful.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:09 pm 

Welcome to the wonderful world of a *succession* game. It's why we all have the option of starting our own game, and doing what we want with it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:42 pm 
Flirt

*coughcough* I've played in a succession game before.*coughcough*

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:55 pm 
Co-pilot

Early Felsite

Dear Ancestors,

Well, though you inspired the people here with this rock-flinging madness, it certainly has been having some kind of effect. Just look at this place!

I haven't seen this much open space under stone since Uncle Urist accidentally drained that cave lake into a magma pond and dried up up both! At least with all this rock-flinging I've been able get some real work done. I've set the carvers to work on the nobs' rooms, see how long that takes, and if the sheer number of leering faces drives the {static} airy buggers out of there. Meanwhile, as the first one seems to be a success, I've dropped another well-shaft down by the meeting hall. Could've sworn I misjudged and cracked through the cavern at one point and fell, with nothing but air and water around me, but that didn't happen. Strangest thing.

But alas, this peace cannot last. That weird... thing just outside the gates is back, and this time it didn't just take the dogs, it somehow managed to latch onto one of the farmers and bleed him out. Poor bugger got a short way from the gate, but not far. I'll have to remember to set traps for the {static} thing.

I've ordered a row of doors set at the gates, tightly closed so we don't lose any more dogs. I'll have to remember to set some traps, too, see if we can't get this ruddy menace.

And of course, just as all seems well, over the horizon comes another caravan of hangers on, ready to sleep in our beds, eat our food and join the exciting year-round sports of Barrel-stuffing and Rock-slinging. Why me, dear ancestors? Why me?

Yrs,

Mahmoth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:23 pm 

Herley wrote:
I love how absolutely no progress has been made on the pumpstack.

And then I got stuck in the wellshaft. Wonderful.

It's pessimism like that, the lack of a can-do attitude, that got you stuck in there in the first place!
And as for the pump stack, one man's Awesome Idea is another man's pile of garbage. cf. my hospital. I build a purty space, lined it so it could have fresh water, put the right stuff in there, and wham, noone uses it. Heck, they build /another/ hospital.
Be glad that's all they didn't do. :P

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:57 pm 
Co-pilot

((Slightly Late, but here it is))

Late Moonstone

Dear ancestors,

I give up.

I've tried all {static} year to make something of this place, try to get some ideas working, turn the nothings this place produces into somethings and what do I get in return? Nothing. Just a fortress full of aimless haulers and fiddlers. I spend all of autumn and winter trying to find some way of getting this {static} pumping rig hooked up so I can get my pick into the True Dark Stone, and the whole thing locks up. Worse yet, my idiot predecessor's plans are illegible and crumpled, so I can't figure out how she got it going in the first place!

I don't know.

Anyway, dear ancestors, my year's up. I'm off to find some place where I can dig out a burrow, stock up some food and booze, and work on that sphere I always dreamed of carving into the rock. Then filling it with water and fish. I'll see.

At least one of these madmen gave me a nice going-away present.

Yrs,

Mahmoth

Signed, sealed, delivered, it's yours!
My Year

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:28 pm 

((If anyone else reading this wants a go at a year before it loops back to me, speak within a day or two or hold yer peace.))

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:41 pm 
Flirt

Aye, if ye be wanting a turn, speak NOW 'r f'rever hold yer peace.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:06 am 

Apparently noone else wanted a go.
I'm up next, expect updates by Tuesday or so since I'm out for Thanksgiving break. I'll certainly have it up by a week from today.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:49 am 

Well it certainly seems that I'm a big fat liar, because I am.
Finals approaching and such mean I've had little time for DF, and will try to get it done by Sunday night. If not, we can skip me or whatever.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:34 pm 

Schoolwork has overwhelmed me.
I fully understand the irony of the situation (assuming that is indeed irony) and accept I am a hypocritical oaf.
Please forgive my lack of contribution, and let it pass on to anyone else (or die off.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:39 pm 
Flirt

I think this is a good time to just pause the succession for now, given that we're going into the holiday season.

We'll resume next year.