Server Costs Oct

Ends in 11 days 0%
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Personal Customization
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:50 pm 
Flight Master

Faction: Flight School
Many games have the ability to customize yourself. Ours is currently limited in that field.

If you could have one small bit of customization, what would it be?

Craft Customization?
Character Customization?
Something else?

How much could you be happy with? Would just a palette shift suffice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:58 pm 
Explorer

Faction: Azure League

I know people have done their own avatars, so being able to use one of your own, would be nice. I know I made one with the basic avi and put it in the wiki.

And giving your plane a paint job would be nice. :blue:

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.

Last edited by Naes Draw on Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Personal Customization
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:58 pm 
Explorer

Lord Gilbert wrote:
Many games have the ability to customize yourself. Ours is currently limited in that field.

If you could have one small bit of customization, what would it be?

Craft Customization?
Character Customization?
Something else?

How much could you be happy with? Would just a palette shift suffice?

I'd love to have character customization -- a few selectable palette options, reflected in the forum avatar, would go a long way toward establishing identities in the forum, where these changes would be most visible to other players.

Craft customization would be exclusively for the player's own benefit, aside from wing customizations that would give all planes in the wing a consistent color scheme. This doesn't strike me as a huge return on the development time. :)

-c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:08 pm 

Perhaps some sort of basic hood would be cool. I would love a cloak hood, and of course there are plenty of other people who would want hats and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:09 pm 
Flight Master

The tricky part with hats and hoods is that because each character is posed differently, it would be quite a task making a single hat fit each character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:11 pm 

Yeah, you would need basically a new hat for each one, which would be rather tedious. The onbly solution I can think of would require quite a bit of code, and that would be a sort of "dress up" function, which would allow the player to place hats of maybe three different sizes on the character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:22 pm 
RP Guide

My suggestion for forum avatars would be some sort of color change tool. That way we don't get a bunch of crap pencil on notebook paper types (yes, they would show up eventually) and it allows lots of variation.

The problem is that it'll take some serious time to make, unless there's some sort of free program out there we can drag and drop into the forum software, but I don't that's likely. I'd rather have progress to the game then to get a tool like I described above.

Now what is more reasonable is simply doing five or so color changes for each character. It's fairly straightforward. I submit as an example, my recoloring (and re-eyeing) of Prince Harris

Not the best solution because there will still be repeats, but it's better than the situation now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:29 pm 
Flying

Harris, where did you get the original for that? *has been wanting the female feline whole lineart to play with*

I'd be willing to do some quick color shifts for the different avatars. Making one for each faction shouldn't be too hard. (I grabbed Harris's and tweaked it a bit, and got nice ones for Green and Yellow, and it took only a few minutes.)

Token female of both ERN and the 7th Street Capulets ^_~[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:31 pm 

I'd love to be able to customise the colour of the craft that I'm flying. The other thing that I've love to see would be to have aspects of the craft change depending on upgrades (IE perhaps seeing larger guns when you purchase the gun upgrades and so on) however, this seems a little impractical at the moment as every craft would need it's own set of different upgrade images. (Simply because the guns on a Hades look very different to the guns on a Phantom.) However, the colour should be a little easier maybe?

As far custom avitars, well, being able to use your own would be pretty cool but for those of us with very little artistic talent at the end of the day probably wouldn't be used. However, being able to select the colours and perhaps some common injuries (IE scar, eyepatch) and maybe the odd bit of clothing (HATS!) would be interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:04 pm 
Developer

I oppose complete freedom with regards to avatars. We all know where that will go.

-PL-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:08 pm 
Developer

oh, boo. that was post #1300... i guess gilbert gets the "lipstick ammunition" upgrade.

oh, right: he already used it ON MAH FACE!

well, see ya in 100 posts, kids.

-PL-

Last edited by phil on Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:08 pm 

phil wrote:
I oppose complete freedom with regards to avatars. We all know where that will go.

-PL-

Case in point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:11 pm 
Developer

Sildar wrote:
phil wrote:

-PL-

Case in point.

Yeah...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:18 pm 

*touches one of phil's tuskbows*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:19 pm 
Explorer

phil wrote:
Sildar wrote:
phil wrote:

-PL-

Case in point.

Yeah...

Casey's First Rule of the Internet: There can be no sarcasm so obvious that nobody will take it seriously.

Casey's Second Rule of the Internet: There can be no information so clear that nobody will ask for clarification.

There is no third rule. The second rule is the last, and is included here only for the sake of completeness. This concludes Casey's Rules of the Internet.

-c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:35 pm 
Export Counsel

My vote would be for character customization. It would definitely liven up the forum. Would it be brain-breakingly hard for each avatar to have some options like scarves, scars, etc., as a few people have suggested?

...also I'd vote for the female walrus to have tusks. If, y'know, we were voting. Why do guys get to have all the pretty tusk bows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:43 pm 
RP Guide

alliisara wrote:
Harris, where did you get the original for that? *has been wanting the female feline whole lineart to play with*

To be honest, I'm not sure of where those images came from. I've obtained a handful of characters (not the whole set though) of which the boar and walrus are two. And no, I don't have the female (or any cat) feline.
My dilemma is this: There's a line in the TOS regarding use of Airship Studios content
TOS wrote:
(b) you make no modifications to the information, content or materials

Now I don't think I'm exactly making modifications by doing what I do (editing planes and scenery together to depict events, recoloring, minor editing) because I'm making something new (in terms of editing stuff together) or not significantly changing the content (with recoloring.) Plus, there's stuff about submissions, where basically anything I post in this forum becomes property of Airship Studios
TOS wrote:
If, despite our request, you intentionally or unintentionally send us Unsolicited Submissions, or through features or activities on any Airship Site (including...Public Forums)... you submit, post or otherwise send us any information, content or materials including, ... files, images, photographs...(collectively, "User-Generated Content") ...we ...shall be entitled to unrestricted use of such Submissions for any purpose whatsoever, commercial or otherwise, without the requirement of any permission from or payment to you or to any other person or entity.

Even so, I still feel like I'm walking the line, and I don't really want to start encouraging people to start manipulating Airship images.

EDIT: and in almost complete hypocrisy to what I just said, he's another re-color

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 pm 
Developer

Deyo wrote:
Casey's First Rule of the Internet: There can be no sarcasm so obvious that nobody will take it seriously.

Casey's Second Rule of the Internet: There can be no information so clear that nobody will ask for clarification.

There is no third rule. The second rule is the last, and is included here only for the sake of completeness. This concludes Casey's Rules of the Internet.

-c.

Oh, sarcasm received loud & clear. that was just sort of a "sigh, i wonder how long i'll be dressed up like this" kind of thing.

not that i mind, and a gag like this loses its punch if it's not in effect for at least a couple days, but I do look ridiculous, which undermines anything i might have to say about custom avatars. :)

-PL-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:51 pm 
Explorer

phil wrote:
Deyo wrote:

-c.

Oh, sarcasm received loud & clear. that was just sort of a "sigh, i wonder how long i'll be dressed up like this" kind of thing.

not that i mind, and a gag like this loses its punch if it's not in effect for at least a couple days, but I do look ridiculous, which undermines anything i might have to say about custom avatars. :)

-PL-

I was pointing out that Sildar missed your sarcasm. ;)

-c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:29 pm 

One thing I have appreciated about Skyrates is its level of uniqueness.

While I would love to see character customization, I would hate to see so many replications of the same design due to limited software capabilities. Also would I hate to see what Phil is referring to (we all know what it is, and it's not pretty). I don't want to lose the authentacity of Skyrates.

So I toss my vote towards plane customization.