Register / Log in

Server Costs Nov

Ends in 20 days 0%
It is currently Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

to what extent should guns be allowed in skytopia?
any/all. we live in a world shaped by pirates and war, after all 55%  55%  [ 76 ]
it's fine used in service to a pre-arranged story, but not suddenly or for vigilante moderation 39%  39%  [ 54 ]
not at all. there's simply no need, and guns come with too many problems 6%  6%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 138
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:29 am 

Faction: Flight School
Why was this old, old, old thread necro'd?
:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:25 am 
Legend

Faction: Azure League

guns in and of themselves are not inherently evil or bad, they just seem to get that reputation when idiots get hold of them and hurt themselves or others, either because of incompetence leading to an accident or because of prior intention. I think that a potential course of action here would be for everyone, upon entering one of the many saloons or taverns in RP, would be required to check any weapon they had at the door (i.e. the bartender locks it up in a safe place). That way, people can still have their guns, but should a brawl erupt, it's only a brawl. No toys allowed. Or if got to be a feud between a few parties, they might go out back and have an old-school pistol duel. I'm thinking that having guns and just enforcing some moderate regulations as we do in real society would be more than ample.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:56 pm 
Combat Guru

Skytopia is clearly a poorly regulated, very dangerous place. I can't imagine that vast numbers, especially of the independent piloting population (read: PCs), would carry out of necessity.

This being said, shooting people all willy nilly will clearly get you shot in record time yourself in what amounts to a personalized MAD situation. So unless your character is suicidal, a serious appraisal needs to be made before lethal force is applied in a vigilante run world.

Furthermore the player needs to take into account that most people have a hard time killing someone, let alone in cold blood. If your character is veteran fighter and not an utter sociopath he's probably got a lot of baggage that he's accumulated in his years of getting shot at and shooting at others. This is probably a world where PTSD is incredibly common.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:00 pm 

Skyrates may honestly be too open, too free, and too public to expect that ICA=ICC -- to expect that use of a firearm will have severe consequences. Games that are smaller and more private can easily handle the new roleplayers who don't know any better, but I feel there might be too many people in one room and too many new players to handle them. There's no way to enforce jailtime or other consequences for those players who just refuse to play the game, other than contacting the devs, and I wouldn't be eager to enforce petty squabbles in RP when there's so much other work.

Realistically, there's no way to keep weapons out of the hands of most characters. But for the sake of the game, if weapons turn into a problem for the RP tab, it may be reasonable to restrict them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:59 pm 
Helpful

Navvy wrote:
other than contacting the devs

Unless we descend down the dark road of Moderation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:39 pm 
Legend

we could always simply have everyone armed to the teeth all the time. guns don't kill people...people kill people. if everyone is equally armed, then it's simply a matter of reflexes, armor and really who all even cares that one person might go loony and try and take out a tavern or pub. if no one cares about the one nutso yackin' away about nonsense, everyone can always ignore them and carry on like they're not there. imagination is always more powerful than text on a computer screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:08 pm 

/ignore is more powerful than imagination. Anyway I hate to agree with the NRA but guns don't kill people, it's usually the bullets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:00 pm 
False Moustache

Faction: Independent

Murphy Lawson wrote:
Anyway I hate to agree with the NRA but guns don't kill people, it's usually the bullets.

I thought you stopped reading Rock Paper Cynic :remytasty:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:28 pm 

No I said I was up to date on it. Anyway we aren't people, I think it should have been "Guns don't kill Furries..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:55 pm 
Legend

seems like someone is just a little liberal here...so long as my 2nd amendment is not infringed upon, we'll be ok. lol, but seriously...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:43 pm 

But seriously, does gun carry ruin our pretendy funtime games, and if so, who's going to miss it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:30 am 
True Friend

Faction: Crimson Armada

I truly believe carrying guns around is a very important part of life in Skytopia. Clearly, it is not a safe a place to live, as BL said. Just because we can only fight combats in game with our planes, doesn't mean pirates don't attack once you're on the ground.

As a player who's witnessed and taken part in a few gun fights, when they are rare, they are fun. When there's a gun fight every other day, it gets a little ridiculous.

I see no reason, if certain fair play guidelines are followed, such as you don't start a gun fight with someone without their consent and you don't godmod, that guns should be banned. They provide a multitude of fun excursions, such target practice, shooting contests, and bragging rights, among many other things, that provide no threat to other players.

That being said, for those who don't go along with common decency, /ignore is always an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:36 pm 

Swords... not as clumsy or random as a handgun... an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age, mmm?

:smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:29 pm 

I don't know how you can call guns 'clumsy' as compared with any and all long, sharpened things. Guns are quite precise instruments with very low tolerance for error in their construction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:57 pm 
Legend

I'm definitely with Grant on this one...handguns (pistols) are no more clumsy or random than a sword or sabre. I'm curious to know as to how and why you would think that a handgun is clumsy or random. Being a gun owner myself, I can tell you with much experience that they are produced to exacting tolerances and the slightest fault in engineering can be disastrous to the quality of the gun and the operator's health.

I think that each individual skyrate should have the option to choose how their character is armed, be bare knuckles to brass knuckles to firearms to swords.

Maybe having a system in which characters could purchase a weapon or weapon(s) of their choice would define what they would then be able to use in RP. Food for thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:09 pm 
Incarnation of Rock

Faction: Court of Violets

Am I the only fossil who got the Star Wars reference, or were you ignoring by choice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:15 pm 
Legend

There was a Star Wars reference? Heh, missed that one...then again, I'm not a total Star Wars fanatic either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:51 pm 
Helpful

Reference like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:35 am 
Legend

Where do y'all find these "comics"?? Gah...that hurt my brain cells more than probably anything else I've ever read...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:56 am 

Quote:
Obi-Wan Kenobi: "Your father's lightsaber." [Hands it to Luke] "This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster." [Luke turns it on and begins swinging it around while Ben continues.] "An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the Empire."

Waiwaera wrote:
I think that each individual skyrate should have the option to choose how their character is armed, be bare knuckles to brass knuckles to firearms to swords.

Anything is a viable weapon in the right hands, after all. I was merely suggesting another alternative in a roundabout fashion.

Waiwaera wrote:
Maybe having a system in which characters could purchase a weapon or weapon(s) of their choice would define what they would then be able to use in RP. Food for thought.

There are better things to spend time on, and how, exactly, would you intend to stop people from using weapons they technically don't have? 'tis impractical.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next