Register / Log in

Server Costs Oct

Ends in 12 days 0%
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Combat Points / Missions for Auto-Resolved combat.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 am 
Flight Master

Faction: Flight School
For our more casual/sporadic players, we are considering adding a method that auto-resolved combats can net combat points.

Additionally, there has been some talk in regards to missions and being able to fail/win missions via auto-resolved combats.

What we are currently discussing is that for auto-resolved combats, not always, but sometimes (probably depending on the overall combat level), you will get a small reward of combat points.

This method would still have manual players at an advantage (as the combat points are more lucrative there), but this would give players not so skilled at combat a chance to get a bit better, albeit slowly.

For missions, we currently count losses but not wins. What are people's feelings in this area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 am 

Faction: Jade Hand

Yes please. i just don't hsve the time to baby sit my skyrates as he flys thru the skys and fights.

Former Governor of Alpha 2
Former Governor of Eltsina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:46 am 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

My thoughts are here: http://skyrates.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=40492#40492

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:13 am 
Snuggler

Zabrak! wrote:

I looked at this, and I see a lot of good thought in regards to auto-resolved combats and missions. However, I didn't see as much in regards to combat points. Are your thoughts in regards to combat points similar in that they should be considered the same as a manual win, or not at all?

Tangentially:
Just letting you know, the AR is certainly going to be looked at and adjusted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:19 am 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

In that linked post, consider everything about completing missions to also cover earning CP.

Frankly, I'm much, much more interested in the AR's skill and its relationship to mission completion be addressed than CP. I have 68K spare CP, and maxed the relevant skills there a maybe three months into playing. My experience is probably not typical, but I rarely see people complaining that they aren't receiving CP quick enough, and tons of people joking around about the preposterous amounts of spare CP they have laying around. Not to mention the frequently expressed outrage at the AR being ... obstreperous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:20 am 

for an auto-resolve fight to gain combat points, it should not be at the same rate...maybe just 50%

but then where is the fairness for a Combat person to gain Trade points, will we also get the 50% Trade points for trade done on set-up-ques? Or if we already do, then it is an overdue for Traders to have likewise on Combat points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:40 am 
Snuggler

Zabrak! wrote:
In that linked post, consider everything about completing missions to also cover earning CP.

Frankly, I'm much, much more interested in the AR's skill and its relationship to mission completion be addressed than CP. I have 68K spare CP, and maxed the relevant skills there a maybe three months into playing. My experience is probably not typical, but I rarely see people complaining that they aren't receiving CP quick enough, and tons of people joking around about the preposterous amounts of spare CP they have laying around. Not to mention the frequently expressed outrage at the AR being ... obstreperous.

Zab, you have a remarkable ability to divert the direction of a conversation. In this thread we can certainly open up the discussion to include missions as well.

In regards to the skill level of the auto-resolver though, I would ask that you wait for the appropriate thread to comment on it.

Back in regards to combat points I am aware that many people have a surplus, but I have certainly heard people clamoring for an ability to earn them via auto-resolved combats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 am 
Snuggler

Lomondra wrote:
but then where is the fairness for a Combat person to gain Trade points, will we also get the 50% Trade points for trade done on set-up-ques? Or if we already do, then it is an overdue for Traders to have likewise on Combat points.

No. Set-up-queues are still manually plotted trades.

If the game were automatically plotting trade routes for you, then I could foresee a deduction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:55 am 

Faction: Jade Hand

/me is in CP debt. He has no or only a very little amout. :razz:

Former Governor of Alpha 2
Former Governor of Eltsina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:26 am 

Faction: Crimson Armada

I like the idea of passive CP gains.

I can't always be there to do combats manually. and since traders can set up a queue and leave and FP are gain simply by being airborne, I think this is a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:14 pm 

when I set up my que, I can also set up my trades, so am I getting Trade points with these? If not, then no I don't believe in giving combat points away for auto resolver which comes on when you make up a que and don't pay attention, same-o same-o.

why should one get and the other not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:55 pm 
Snuggler

Lomondra wrote:
when I set up my que, I can also set up my trades, so am I getting Trade points with these? If not, then no I don't believe in giving combat points away for auto resolver which comes on when you make up a que and don't pay attention, same-o same-o.

why should one get and the other not?

Yes, you're getting trade points for trades that occur when you're not there.

Similarly, you get flight points for flying that occurs while you're not there.

Combat points are currently the only ones that require you to be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 pm 

What about uncapping the maximum CP per battle and giving out half CP rounded down with a minimum of 1 for autoresolved combats? And perhaps changing how many levels per CP. Obviously any change would require a fair bit of balance testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:12 pm 

Faction: Azure League

Aye. Passive CP (at a lesser rate) makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:24 am 

What about only rewarding passive CP on hunts? There is little enough reason to do hunts if you arent going to be there to run them, maybe we should make them more desirable.

[edit] Also: if we are talking about completion of kill mission for AR combat, I think something on the order of one "kill" per combat would be okay. It would make it more desirable to be around without completely ignoring the AR inconsistency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:26 am 
Export Counsel

Sure, I'd love to see a little bit of passive CP from autoresolved flights. My trading alt, wallowing around in a Cetacea and getting queued once or twice a day, could use a leg up in the Black Market. And if I ever switch play styles with that alt, pop into a combat plane and start fighting manually, I'll be getting a bonus to combat level by flying a high-tier plane (and flying longer trips in more dangerous areas, thanks to the high-tier range) without having enough combat points to put into important skills. I pushed my way through that situation with this character and sure you can do it, but it honestly was not all that much fun. Definitely made me wonder at times whether I was trapped as exclusively a trader by decisions made very early in the game.

Certainly it shouldn't be as much CP as you'd get from doing the work yourself, but even if it only came to 1 CP every other combat I'd be grateful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:04 am 

Passive CP: yes, yes, yes, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:04 am 

Hmm, how about something really really simple? You can get passive CP from AR combat, but only ever 1CP per win. It'll mean AR combat and regular combat are the same CP-wise when you're just starting out, but once you're in a better plane and doing high level combats the manual players will start getting lots more, but the non-combat types won't be left entirely empty-handed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:37 am 

I also agree with passive CP gain. If 1 per combat is too much for AR, then even a 1 every other combat would be fine. I would certainly help someone like me who's on a very slow dial-up conn and can't afford to be online all the time. Just to even up the playing field a bit.

Kirgs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:44 am 

I like the idea provided the gains are very slow.

I see no big issue with this provided the gains are properly balanced.