Server Costs Aug

Ends in 10 days 0%
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:24 pm 
Min-Maxer

Faction: Azure League

I'd probably think hitbox or radar profile. Are we getting planes that don't show up fully on radar? Because that would be pretty awesome.

Manager of Post Aviation. "We don't make planes. We make planes better."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:25 pm 
Developer

Sprite size.
Which, of course, would also reflect the hitbox size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:34 pm 

Faction: Flight School
Pierce N.V. Post wrote:
36-24-36

Only if you 5'3".

"From the shoulder, beyond the wrist, watch out, evil - it's my fist!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:41 pm 
Relic Hunter

Faction: Crimson Armada

Hittability

radar dot size

Number of companion planes it can store

How many mods it can hold

How many licks it can take before it melts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:43 am 

Faction: Crimson Armada

How pretty the shape of the silhouette of the plane is.

...what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:55 am 

In general, I'd think "hittability" - a silhouette which is mostly empty (like a chappy) would get hit much less often than a blimp (which is like shooting the broad side of a barn) with equally-accurate fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:39 pm 

Definitely has to do with hittability. I mean, I figure a levi should be almost impossible to miss if your arcs are on it, and I believe last round it had the same chance of dodging as anything else with the same maneuver. It would also make sense with this new "accuracy" business...
calculation guesses forthcoming when I figure out to work Maneuver into them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:49 pm 

I would assume that "Silhouette" referred to the size and shape of the plane, and thus a lower number means a smaller, more compact plane that's harder to get under your arc.

Thusly, tiny inconspicuous planes like the Marauder and Ingersoll would have a verrrry low Silhouette, while blimps, and most of the other large trading planes, as well as some of the combat planes like the Hades, would have much higher silhouettes. This number would not have actual effect on the to-hit chances, because small planes are already hard to keep in your arcs and usually have amazing evasion due to high maneuverability scores; the Silhouette rating would merely give you a good idea of what the plane is like before you buy it. Kind of like the firepower rating, currently.

Alternately and more specifically, I could see "silhouette" referring to how well your plane can hide inside clouds. There could be an accuracy penalty both for shooting at planes IN clouds and shooting at anything while you ARE IN a cloud. The penalty for shooting FROM cloud cover would likely remain fixed, but the penalty for shooting someone who is IN a cloud would be based on their Silhouette number. In cases where both the shooter and shootee are in clouds at the same time, the penalties would not stack, it would just use the higher of the two.

Post subject: Re: New Plane Stat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:30 pm 

Lord Gilbert wrote:
If you were to see a new plane stat under the 'Other' section that was called 'Silhouette', and had a number, what would you think it meant?

Please give your first impression without reading other replies.

My first impression is:

"Maybe I'm hiding in the clouds? Yes, this must increase my chances of sneaking up on pirates without their seeing me!"

[edit]

Maybe I was way off? Everyone else seems to be thinking likelihood of being hit.
Still, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:17 pm 

I'm thinking that it represents how much visibility there is against planes at different altitudes. Like you can fly higher and lower and they get smaller and smaller but not as fast if they have more sillhouette.

Post subject: Re: New Plane Stat
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:31 pm 
Tricker

Faction: Independent

Lord Gilbert wrote:
If you were to see a new plane stat under the 'Other' section that was called 'Silhouette', and had a number, what would you think it meant?

Please give your first impression without reading other replies.

I imagine it would relate to the surface area of the craft available to catch incoming bullets...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:34 pm 

i didnt read anyone else's stuff, i swear.

I would think it was referring to the size/shape of the plane against the sky. Since the stat would be intrinsically linked to the shape/size of the plane and combat, (being that there is no AAA guns in the game) it would have to deal with the horizontal size/shape of a plane. Eg a loki would have a smaller silhouette than a failclops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:55 pm 

Silhouette? Ugh... I guess I'd imagine it had to do with how difficult it was to hit when it's in a cloudbank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:56 am 
Nip Addict

Faction: Azure League

my guess is that it would have to do with clouds and being under them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:29 pm 

Silhouette --> outline --> boundaries --> hit box or ship size.

"Large Silhouette" --> Blimp
"Small Silhouette" --> Gremlin sized fighter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:47 pm 
Noted Explorer

I have a different thought. Since planes already have sprite sizes that we can see, and we all know how "hittable" a plane is after a few combats with one, I don't think a stat to quantify this makes any sense. here's my idea:

Silhouette is a stat the determines how good a plane is at avoiding detection. I don't mean in combat. I would tie this to the frequently discussed ideas for blockading. A lot has been said in other threads (see below) and I plan on doing a detailed post sometime soon, but suffice to say that the idea of blockades is for people to be able to do a hunt-like action called "blockade" around a skyland that would increase the chances of incoming planes encountering a computer controlled "clone" of the blockading player's plane. Essentially, the lower the silhouette score of an incoming plane, the better the chances of them slipping through a blockade undetected and therefore unmolested.
Now, even before any sort of blockading functionality were introduced (which could be a long time seeing as the Devs have never officially signed off on the idea), this stat could also effect two other areas:

1) Encounter frequency - For safe plots (where you are TRYING not to be seen) this would add a bonus over and above the safety level provided by your navigator's level

2) Starting geometry: Being harder to see means that it is more likely that you will get the jump on pirates rather than the other way around. The lower your silhouette rating, the more frequently you will get "Chasing" encounters.

I also agree with the folks who suggested that it should have some effect on the enemy AI's ability to track you through cloud cover, although I don't know how easy it is to make a think like that a function of a single number.

Fex

My original idea for blockading: http://skyrates.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=811&start=5

Pierce's recent revival of the discussion: http://skyrates.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5098&

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:45 am 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

Fex, I find your blockading idea to be intriguing, and would welcome any such system being rolled out that would make the inf game more strategically complex. But the idea that this single stat would indicate the implementation of such a huge alteration of endgame play while we're still waiting for very basic things like upgrades and a dodge stat is frankly risible. Don't clutter the DD board with pet projects, please. This is a valuable post, just in the wrong place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:40 am 
Noted Explorer

Laugh away then. I've no idea what the devs have in mind or how near term they are thinking. I was just asked what the term called to mind. As I said, with all other features held constant, I would imagine it having to do with starting geometry, encounter rate on safe routes, and perhaps AI cloud confusion. Add to that maybe danger level (something similar to the old danger ratings on planes) The scarier the silhouette the higher level pirates would be before daring to attack. Although this last concept might be mutually exclusive with the other interpretations.

Fex

Last edited by Edmund C. Fex on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:03 am 

Size of the hitbox, perhaps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:05 am 

Also, blockading sounds awesome.