Register / Log in

Server Costs Oct

Ends in 11 days 0%
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:30 am 

Faction: Flight School
Minefield missions are still kind of lame, with all the mines in one spot. what seemed REALLY weird though was hearing the mines kick in Afterburners and Airbrakes. That makes no sense at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:21 pm 
Sapphire Luminary

Okay, the distance for the platform fights definitely changed, but you start what appears to be a CR-4P's length away from the arc at the start of combat, no where near enough time to maneuver any plane out of the way. in my high AC KF I lost 4 shields from one shot (I assume, I was in the arc for only a fraction of a second) which is enough to kill a stock inger in the first moment of combat.

Couldn't we just like double the starting distance for them? It's not like you can actually hurt them until you get close anyway, not instant death is the only benefit the player gets from starting further away. If it's really supposed to be a situation where you're supposed to react quick and dodge to the side all ninja like (which I've heard is the intent, I don't know) the starting distance should be scaled to your plane's speed; even if my KF had enough time to turn at ~500 an inger would have to maneuver in about half as much time.

Edit: as an added note, there is no feasible way to get your arc on a platform in a Kingfisher. Even with longarms there is no way to turn to use your side arcs to hit it, and the tail gun is obviously out. The best way I could possibly attack it is using an immelman to stop and leave my tail gun on it, and even then I bet my wings would cross both arcs I would be between.
If it is impossible to avoid taking damage, the combat becomes the opposite of requiring skill; I would have done much better had I immediately flown up to the platform taking full fire and holding down spacebar rather than trying to actually sneak in and attack it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:53 pm 

Captain Nick Klaus is a great combat. Fun, and tough to avoid him, but no where near impossible.

And a payout that befits a legendary combat too!

Big props to the Devs for this one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:34 pm 
Min-Maxer

Faction: Court of Violets

Kitteh wrote:
Okay, the distance for the platform fights definitely changed, but you start what appears to be a CR-4P's length away from the arc at the start of combat, no where near enough time to maneuver any plane out of the way. in my high AC KF I lost 4 shields from one shot (I assume, I was in the arc for only a fraction of a second) which is enough to kill a stock inger in the first moment of combat.
Flying a T-bolt, immediately breaking a turning gives me just enough room to avoid the arc in an "approaching" style platform combat. Maneuvers seem pointless, all of them moving too far forward, placing you in the arcs.

But, this is with a Thunderbolt, and knowing what to expect. Anybody facing their first platform combat, or flying a bulky plane will still experience a lot of pain. So, in all, I'm in agreement with Kitteh, the starting distance is still a tad too close, but it is still much much better than it was.

As for her comment on the arcs. I've seen no problems in my T-bolt (though, making them reasonable required dropping my stall right down), but I certainly imagine that any large plane without well placed side arcs will have trouble.

Also, it seems that it's still possible to start in the middle of the arc. My guess would be that this occurs for "Ambush" style platform combats. But this feels kind of appropriate. You are being ambushed after all. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:29 pm 
Sapphire Luminary

I can confirm that "Fleeing" leaves you well inside the arc (in my KF I start with about my whole tail inside the arc), maneuvers couldn't possibly help that.

As an idea, would it be possible to give platforms a reaction time/warm up of a little bit? It would make the circling method a bit more viable, since grazing the arc for an instant is okay but any more than that and you get hurt and it would also allow the "Oh crap I'm in the arc" feeling of starting the combat without the 2-4 armor sucker punch (unless you don't move).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:18 pm 

Faction: Jade Hand

Approaching the Hidden Fleet does still start you in the tower's arc. For a KF with max CKPH, that costs half its armor in one shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:29 am 

Hidden Fleet seems to be the one that starts you too close (usually). I got 4 two towers today (I have no idea how) and I started out of their arcs each time. Also started outside the arcs of a platform in a Lighthouse today; took it down in my Cetacea :chatty:

Also, I really like Klaus' combat! His plane is great, I would love to see more interesting and challenging fights like that. Though I think time-limited legendaries like the chirstmas fights really shouldn't be as rare as they are.
-Kitteh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:45 pm 

I spawned inside the arcs of both towers, both times I've encountered TT today. Hidden Fleet spawned me pointing into the arc without any time to react, save Airbrake (thank God I have 10 kmph stall).

Post subject: Re: Legendary Combats
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:16 pm 
Sapphire Luminary

Two towers needs better payout. Like, several times the current payout :fear:. 25k is nothing for it, for how hard it is and especially how rare it is. I doubt making it more like 100k would be game breaking at all. Or like 200k for that matter, really.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:01 pm 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

In honor of the toughest combats from 2.3, I think the two towers should payout <10G (long live the overflow bug!)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:32 pm 
Sapphire Luminary

I like the idea of getting special upgrades for beating rare/hard legendaries :grin: Maybe Two Towers could drop one?