Ends in 10 days 0%
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Planned Adjustments
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:10 am 
Snuggler

Faction: Flight School
Hey there folks,

So the Hidden War has been proceeding, and I regret it's taken a bit of time to work a lot of the bugs out of the system.

At this time, one of the trickiest parts to strike a balance on is how often players need to log in to see the progress of the war and figure out what they should do for the day. We have had both periods of molasses (where nothing really was changing for long periods of time) and hyperactive awful (where skylands went from solid leads to crushing defeats in no time flat).

This is our area of primary concern, and where I'm going to spend some time really analyzing it. Previously, I was adjusting HF presence/aggression about two times a day. I think that has proven to be too much. My current goal is to adjust those numbers once a day slightly, and to use Hidden Fleet powers as punctuations/slight game changers. The HF powers would take quite some time to occur, probably on the order of 1-2 days, so players would have quite some time to realize what was going on, and have ample time to prepare and shift forces without feeling like every day was a new (and bad) surprise.

We'll also be publicizing the overall power numbers of the HF, so you all can get a clearer grasp of how much power they have, and how you all are affecting it via powers/legendaries.

Faction powers are going to be looked at more. In particular we'll be analyzing the costs and payouts of some of the powers, and perhaps turning the gains from some of the power to proportional (instead of 100,000 influence, perhaps X% of the total influence on the skyland).

We'll also be looking into a few potential bugs. We've heard some words about supply/workforce generation that we want to look into.

There is also the matter of goals, and ultimately end goals. Up until this point, the goal for the war has been unclear. Keep the HF from taking over any skylands? Maybe keep them from the core? How long exactly do they plan to be here?

We plan on making this more clear. The HF will broadcast very clear goals, and Skytopia will have a certain amount of time to prevent them from being achieved. "HF will try to conquer the following skylands. Skytopia has Y days to prevent them." "Skytopia must generate X influence at Y by Z days" -- clearer goals with clearer end dates. We know right now it's been a bit of a slough, so we're looking to make things clearer.

Roleplay wise, we're going to start cranking more on that. I know the RPers have been pining for more information and details to play around with, and I assure you we're going to be giving it. In the case where schedules get tight, we may consider just posting bulleted lists of the major information, and then later on returning to write fiction for it (a la the Legacy Vignettes).

Once again, thank you all very much for your time, patience, and feedback. You have been an invaluable help to us, and we're glad to have you.

Post subject: Re: Planned Adjustments
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:21 pm 

Thanks, Taft. I think those changes will be very helpful in increasing motivation towards this event.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:38 pm 
Sapphire Luminary

Sounds good. Personally I had assumed the HF would just decide aggro "targets" by timers and random chance, attacking islands they're close to or that have less skytopia inf or something :worry: didn't realize you were setting so much of it yourself

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:36 pm 

Faction: Crimson Armada

Bulletpoints, because any time I try to actually explain things it just goes pearshaped and I end up rambling;

• For missions; Set HF skylands to current per-giver. Return Skytopian skylands to pre-war levels.
•• Theme missions on HF-held skylands in an anti-fleet fashion. "Evacuation: Please help us get these refugees to safety!", "Fleet Interdiction: We need to evacuate, please buy us some time by intercepting <x> Fleet aircraft!", etc.
•• Reduces massive HF output advantage, makes recapture of skylands more feasible without ability spam on or around it.
•• Reduces 'need to reset' for cargo influence planes but only on 'friendly' skylands. Lower speed is a disadvantage as is, don't make things worse.