Ends in 10 days 0%
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Proposed Changes: Faction Abilities
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:20 pm 
Snuggler

Faction: Flight School
Hey there folks,

We're doing a decent amount of work behind the scenes right now, largely figuring out some numbers. I wanted to talk out the general gist of some of changes to faction abilities we're considering, as well as asking a few questions.

First, a few general points.

We're looking very much at the abilities that create influence, and tying them more closely to the amount of supplies/workforce that they cost.

We've been doing some number crunching on the amounts of work/supply that are generated in a given amount of time. Powers are being balanced in accordance to that.

We would like the building/dismantling of skyland offense and defense to be more strategic. We will likely be increasing the time it takes to dismantle offense/defense, so that it's less build up and then OMGDISMANTLE.

We believe we have a fix for the skyland status effects. It will be uploaded soon.

Legendary combat spawn rate for HF enemies will be higher, and their impact will be made more powerful.

We're rethinking slightly how the Hidden Fleet's power will work. Hidden Fleet overall power will be two numbers. Their current power, and their maximum power. Every day, the Fleet's current power will rise a proportion to the maximum power. Skytopia will be battling that number down via legendaries/abilities, but it will naturally recover over time.

First, so it's not a surprise as you read the rest, we're replacing Armed Blockade and Purge the Wicked's original powers. We tried fiddling with the numbers for a time, but in the end we had trouble finding results we were happy with. For the next round, we would like to attempt slightly different abilities and see how they work.

:red:
Dam the Source: Rather than a proportion, this ability will reduce power by a specific amount.
Organized Network: This power was not used in the last round. Would the Armada leaders care to elaborate on this?
Armed Blockade: In the end, we didn't quite care for how this overlapped with skyland offense. Instead of cutting HF influence on a Skyland, this power would reduce bleed to/from neighboring skylands. The ability would also be made stackable.

:green:
Hand of the Market: No planned changes.
Infiltration: This skill's power will get a boost.
Sabotage Run: Rather than a proportion, this ability will reduce power by a specific amount.

:blue:
Paths of the Nomad: This power seemed to be used quite a bit. We'd like to hear more from the League leaders. It seems as though it became more useful this last round?
Challenge the Unknown: The amount of aggression that this rises by will go up. In the next round, we expect aggro management will be quite useful. We're considering making this a targetable ability...thoughts?
Scientific Precision: In the long run, we feel this ability was fairly useful from a numeric sense...but it's very difficult to see the results of it. Before we consider more changes to this, I'd like to hear more from the League leaders.

:brown:
Voice of the People: No planned changes.
Blessed Cache: We may make this ability have diminishing returns, so it's not strictly additive.
Purge the Wicked: Rather than a proportional influence cut, it will be a powerful influence earner, but not in a set bundle. This will be an influence over time ability. The amount of influence will be fairly significant, earned over a long period of time.

:purple:
Inspire the People: Will recieve a power boost.
Dangerous Theatrics: You all used this 67 times last round...
Path of Lights: We may scale this depending on the number of neighbors. So, if a skyland has less neighbors, each neighbor will get more influence than if there were 3.

Post subject: Re: Proposed Changes: Faction Abilities
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:29 pm 
Field Marshal

Organized Network:

Largely because we were banking resources, and the areas where it was generally more beneficial was having resources shipped away to deal with the fleet issues, elsewhere.

Edited to add: Also, it was very seldom asked for- I can't recall a single instance of another faction asking for it, and my own faction seldom did so. We've also seen issues with it not falling off, or not telling you when it's on. Nehp and I have been discussing its utility and cost to benefit, and will likely have more on that, later.

That said: It's a good power, and we did use it a fair bit, early on, but it's something that kind of got eclipsed versus other factional abilities, and so on.

Field Marshal of the Crimson Armada, and Imperial Senator

Governor of Echo

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Last edited by Markus Jarnhann on Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:35 pm 
Snuggler

Hmm...interesting. Was it more essential useful the first round? In the second round, we increased the number of missions available at places.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:41 pm 
Field Marshal

Somewhat, Taft. I know I didn't need to keep it going as hardcore with more missions available, but the biggest thing I find is that, like in my edits, it just wasn't as requested as say, infiltration, or Theatrics. And when blockade became cheaper, it was my 'help the other guys out' ability of choice. IT may have cost more, but it provided the other factions with much more cost effective assistance.

Field Marshal of the Crimson Armada, and Imperial Senator

Governor of Echo

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:45 pm 
Moostro

Organized network fell off in utilization and request as the various factions began to truly realize the power of the using the factional powers themselves. As that started to occur, the efficiency of a +mission option dropped significantly on defense runs, and because effectively useless on offense runs (abilities did way way more than missions on HF skylands.)

In addition, it does require running your route along a specific skyland to pick up, while this was handy early on, later HF attacks proscribed variations in routes, so that running across a specific skyland mid-route wasn't necessarily very efficient.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:53 pm 
Moostro

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
Legendary combat spawn rate for HF enemies will be higher, and their impact will be made more powerful.

Most excellent on both counts.

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
We're rethinking slightly how the Hidden Fleet's power will work. Hidden Fleet overall power will be two numbers. Their current power, and their maximum power. Every day, the Fleet's current power will rise a proportion to the maximum power. Skytopia will be battling that number down via legendaries/abilities, but it will naturally recover over time.

The maximum power will not ever change?

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
Armed Blockade: In the end, we didn't quite care for how this overlapped with skyland offense. Instead of cutting HF influence on a Skyland, this power would reduce bleed to/from neighboring skylands. The ability would also be made stackable.

I really like this, obviously given an appropriate cost, but I really like this.

Any information on how the HF actions might change yet?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:58 pm 
Snuggler

nehp wrote:
The maximum power will not ever change?

Generally, I don't think it would. It, and the proportion that current power rises to meet it, would ideally not change much during a round. That would give developers a specific maximum power, and players an idea of the maximum influence-running capabilities for a round.

Quote:
Any information on how the HF actions might change yet?

At this time, no major ideas, except they likely would also lose their proportional influence-eradication abilities. We're considering giving them debuffs to skylands (target skyland produces less supply, etc)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:03 pm 
Incarnation of Rock

Faction: Court of Violets

I think Blue is distributed well enough (in fact, I think everyone is distributed well enough) that they can summon aggro on themselves, and Purple can reduce it in the direction we don't want the aggro to go to send it pretty much anywhere on the map. Mostly I don't want Blue spamming the power on stuff we're not expecting it on (again).

As for our unicorns, you may recall that in the round before last we used something like 200 of them. 67 is quite a reduction (possibly accounted for by the increased cost) and if you're going to tell us controlling aggro is important than all the more reason we should use it more. Part of the reason it's so heavily used is that it's really all or nothing. If we reduce aggro from severe to high, so what? We usually have to drop it to low or moderate before it'll show any real effect, sometimes even to none a couple times a day.

If you insist on replacing it, I want the ability to spend supplies/workforce to say something in fiesta in chat. We're all about bringing up morale, right? Come to think of it, I would totally take that power over our current unicorns. Or add it as a result of the roleplay decision, that'd be cool too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:25 am 
True Friend

Faction: Crimson Armada

Quote:

I was thinking the other day, that it might be nice, instead of just having one hunt option, have two, the regular, hunt and then a hunt specifically for the Hidden Fleet, especially since the Armada will now be working with the pirates.

Just a thought, it would also reduce the amount of ire many have voiced over not having special combats show up as different combats before you load them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:48 am 
Cupid

Faction: Jade Hand

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
We would like the building/dismantling of skyland offense and defense to be more strategic. We will likely be increasing the time it takes to dismantle offense/defense, so that it's less build up and then OMGDISMANTLE.

I'll have to take your word on that... When I'm dismantling them, I never think, "Ooh, I'll get 10% of their resources back in ten minutes!" Instead, it's always an analysis of how much they cost to put up versus how much they cost per day in relationship to how long it is until I think we'll need them again. Which, since I tend to be conservative and they do at least provide a bit of use while they're up, means that I generally don't take them down if I think the Fleet will be back within a week. Still, since I don't really look at the time, I probably won't mind an increase there (:knock on wood:).

Organized Network - If this were my power, I'd be spamming it all over -- it's my favorite condition effect (and my most loathed bad condition effect, naturally). I was a bit surprised Red didn't break it out when we were retaking Aleut and A5, since that's where it really shines. Still, with mission-taking paling in comparison to other effects, I understand why they wouldn't have bothered, especially with no one being able to see it existed anyway.

Infiltration - Yay! Though as I said before, I think it would get more use naturally in a different mini-game. Nobody asked for it last round and there wasn't any obvious place to use it. A different inf-running configuration would likely change things.

Sabotage Run - That sounds familiar... ;)

Challenge the Unknown - Ooh. I'll have to think about that. In one sense, we're all in this boat together so it doesn't matter. On the other hand, it would at least have to come with bells and whistles so that we'd know it was coming. I think it would probably be okay... and it would definitely be useful.

Blessed Cache - Ah, interesting. That makes sense in that if it's cost-effective to use one Cache, it's cost-effective to use as many Caches as possible... unless you're using them to help someone else out. Which, actually, is what it will probably be switching to even more with Purge the Wicked getting shifted. Hm. I can see both sides of that argument.

KarHallarn wrote:
If you insist on replacing it, I want the ability to spend supplies/workforce to say something in fiesta in chat.

:love: :love: :love: :remygrin:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:26 am 
Moostro

Kippei wrote:
Organized Network - If this were my power, I'd be spamming it all over -- it's my favorite condition effect (and my most loathed bad condition effect, naturally). I was a bit surprised Red didn't break it out when we were retaking Aleut and A5, since that's where it really shines. Still, with mission-taking paling in comparison to other effects, I understand why they wouldn't have bothered, especially with no one being able to see it existed anyway.

It *does* show up on the zo map while it's still in the list of effects, so most of the time you could see it existed. Hopefully the not-being-tracked-anymore bug has been fixed and it wont 'fall' off visibly.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:22 am 
Sapphire Luminary

I'm not entirely sure what you mean Paths was used a lot, unless BL/mah used it a lot the last round and I never noticed. We fired off a bunch when it was first boosted to 10% to see it's effects, but IIRC I've only used it on one or two occasions this very last round, mostly because I was asked to.

Challenge I still never intend to use, and TBH raising the aggo it raises sounds like a bad idea (especially since it was apparently raised before) since that really just gives less control over the aggro (and it's already extremely unpredictable). Bottom line, people are still complaining that I used it a month ago, and I haven't used it in weeks and don't ever plan to again. I don't believe any of the other blue leaders have even used it. It would require a consensus to convince me to use it again, and from the response rate I've gotten when I've asked about it before, no one ever wants it to be used. At best, once I got one whole person to say they sort of thought it might work.

Precision seems...meh, since it doesn't reduce the fleet's power, won't it just shift the inf off the island it's used on? IE, if a red, blue and green island all had 33% of the fleet's inf per day, and I used precision to remove all presence from the blue island, the red and green would just get 50% each of the same amount of influence? It really seems almost mean, but I really don't have much else to do.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:38 am 
Messenger of Service

Location: Definitely NOT at work* (*=not true for all values of work)
I love the focus on some neighbor/bleed effects overall.

For Brown specific changes:

Cache: If the additional caches have diminishing returns, will the cap still be in place? I thought cache was working better last round. Not sure how many times we used it overall, but about 15 of the uses came in response to the HF specific targeting of 5 brown skylands.

Purge: I like the recasting as a positive force (but will miss the old Purge). As described above, I see a vast shift in strategic thinking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:08 pm 
Snuggler

Kitteh wrote:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean Paths was used a lot, unless BL/mah used it a lot the last round and I never noticed. We fired off a bunch when it was first boosted to 10% to see it's effects, but IIRC I've only used it on one or two occasions this very last round, mostly because I was asked to.

Paths of the Nomad was used 24 times last round.

Quote:
Challenge I still never intend to use, and TBH raising the aggo it raises sounds like a bad idea (especially since it was apparently raised before) since that really just gives less control over the aggro (and it's already extremely unpredictable). Bottom line, people are still complaining that I used it a month ago, and I haven't used it in weeks and don't ever plan to again. I don't believe any of the other blue leaders have even used it. It would require a consensus to convince me to use it again, and from the response rate I've gotten when I've asked about it before, no one ever wants it to be used. At best, once I got one whole person to say they sort of thought it might work.

I would be interested to hear perspectives from the other Blue factioners.

Challenge is particularly...well...challenging, because it requires a decent amount of coordination with the other factions to be most effective. It may also be the case that we may need to push the Fleet's actions in a manner such that use of the ability is more critical.

However, if you all have ultimately resigned yourself to not using it, we may consider switching the power with another faction's to see how they fare with it. Any takers?

Quote:
Precision seems...meh, since it doesn't reduce the fleet's power, won't it just shift the inf off the island it's used on? IE, if a red, blue and green island all had 33% of the fleet's inf per day, and I used precision to remove all presence from the blue island, the red and green would just get 50% each of the same amount of influence? It really seems almost mean, but I really don't have much else to do.

Yes, it would shift Fleet power to other presence targets. What may be something to consider, is if Precision instead nullified an amount of presence. Therefore, there would still *be* presence on the Skyland, but a portion of it would not generate influence.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:26 pm 
Helpful

Faction: Azure League

Challenge the Unknown is a lovely flavorful power for Blue, but effective use requires a level of central coordination that Blue seldom arranges. I'm curious how a more planned faction like Red would handle it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:04 pm 
Co-pilot

I Path-spammed quite a bit around the beginning of the big assault. It can be expensive, which is annoying. By and large, if you use it, it's an "every little helps" sort of thing, preparing for a big assault. The amount it speeds things up is, as far as I'm aware, fine, but from using it, it felt too expensive to be thrown around casually as an aid.

Challenge I have yet to see a use for. Unless we want to bump Fleet attention on a particular sink, or draw them back towards a particular area (presuming this can be done using Challenge), it has remained unused.

Precision, on the other hand, has been in use, but only in the early part of the war, when a hundred thousand with an extra kick could mean the difference between life or death, which has been less of an issue of late (although I missed the Big Attack, where this may have been the case). The presence-reducing aspect is useful, as far as I've been able to tell. I haven't experimented as such, I just used it as a sort of whack-a-mole when things started getting above Moderate.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:51 pm 
Sapphire Luminary

Challenge's psychological impacts on other players make it nearly useless if not outright harmful. Add that to it's unpredictability and the skill's dubious at best. Perhaps with enough testing it could be slightly useful, but I didn't even get to test it much early on before everyone on SR freaked out about it. For something that encourages enemy activity it's way too unpredictable and unreliable.
It also seems like it would only help if you brought an island straight to Bzzt, assuming the fleet had other targets. At least in this last round I noticed lots of islands with much less presence than their aggro should bring, I assume when there are bzzt targets their presence won't spread as much to other skylands unless they're bzzzt/extreme, but I wasn't going to test it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:49 pm 
Snuggler

Kitteh wrote:
Challenge's psychological impacts on other players make it nearly useless if not outright harmful. Add that to it's unpredictability and the skill's dubious at best. Perhaps with enough testing it could be slightly useful, but I didn't even get to test it much early on before everyone on SR freaked out about it. For something that encourages enemy activity it's way too unpredictable and unreliable.

I would like you to elaborate a bit on your words 'unpredictable' and 'unreliable.'

I think part of the problem with Challenge is the psychological fear that became associated with it, coupled with myself working out how to handle player aggro. In the first round, it was spammed on a *lot* of locations, which lead to the Fleet running influence on a lot of Blue skylands, which lead to cries of why they were being unfairly targeted. Additionally, at the start of the round there was some trouble related to my not noticing when an aggro dump has happened, I have attempted to be more careful and to explain my rationale for how Fleet aggro works generally. The overwhelming points being that raised aggro does not mean the Fleet will instantly start putting presence there if it's a couple skylands away from any of their existing presence. If the aggro draw works, the Fleet will begin putting up influence there until they pull their attention elsewhere

I think what may be helpful is to think of it more judiciously. As such, I am sincerely considering upping its power and increasing its cost fairly significantly. It should not be thought of as a spamspamspam power. It should be used when you have a staging ground that you believe the Fleet will be drawn to. Part of the problem that also occurred with Challenge is that with the amount that was challenged, sometimes it wasn't enough aggro to really make much of a blip in the ocean.

Quote:
It also seems like it would only help if you brought an island straight to Bzzt, assuming the fleet had other targets. At least in this last round I noticed lots of islands with much less presence than their aggro should bring, I assume when there are bzzt targets their presence won't spread as much to other skylands unless they're bzzzt/extreme, but I wasn't going to test it.

There were a couple of cases where that may have happened. First off, presence builds up over time, and doesn't jump straight up to high. Secondly, with the purge abilities, those decimated a lot of the presence around there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:13 pm 
Incarnation of Rock

Faction: Court of Violets

After talking this over with my fellow Court leaders, we would happily trade our powers for some of these powers:

A power that lets us say a single thing in fiesta in chat. So we would choose the power, type some text, and when we activate it it would appear in fiesta in chat.

A status effect like organized network that gives the person who receives it the ability to do a single fiesta and/or makes their text appear in fiesta in chat 1% of the time. Possibly just for Indy, FS, and Purple (because of the RP decision), possibly as two separate powers.

A buff that would increase how often Hidden Fleet legendaries show up in patrols and/or combats in general.

A power that actually causes the Path of Lights http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/File:Shining_One_transport.png to appear on the map.

I think that's everything, hopefully they'll add anything I missed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:45 pm 
Helpful

Faction: Azure League

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
I think part of the problem with Challenge is the psychological fear that became associated with it, coupled with myself working out how to handle player aggro. In the first round, it was spammed on a *lot* of locations, which lead to the Fleet running influence on a lot of Blue skylands, which lead to cries of why they were being unfairly targeted. Additionally, at the start of the round there was some trouble related to my not noticing when an aggro dump has happened, I have attempted to be more careful and to explain my rationale for how Fleet aggro works generally. The overwhelming points being that raised aggro does not mean the Fleet will instantly start putting presence there if it's a couple skylands away from any of their existing presence. If the aggro draw works, the Fleet will begin putting up influence there until they pull their attention elsewhere

I think what may be helpful is to think of it more judiciously. As such, I am sincerely considering upping its power and increasing its cost fairly significantly. It should not be thought of as a spamspamspam power. It should be used when you have a staging ground that you believe the Fleet will be drawn to. Part of the problem that also occurred with Challenge is that with the amount that was challenged, sometimes it wasn't enough aggro to really make much of a blip in the ocean.

My memory of the process:

We tried Challenge the Unknown on a skyland we felt was far from danger, and waited a day or two for things to happen. Very little did -- aggression went up a notch, but the overall change in presence and influence was miniscule. Inference: This power does a small amount each time, so is designed to be used in stacks, like Fortify.

So we tried it in stacks, and because we weren't doing fully controlled experiments, tried it in multiple places too. Not much happened at first. Several days later, OMGFLEETPOCALYPSE. (Memory says almost a week? Do you have records, Kitteh?)

The effect was so far delayed from cause that it took us official Word of Dev to put them together.

(The delay seems unsurprising in retrospect: Challenge changes Aggression, which is the second derivative of HF Influence. It takes time for a second derivative to propagate through a manual simulation, especially when steps are only running twice per day.)

A power that takes so long to have a discernible effect was of very little perceived use when the targets were changing on a daily basis. As soon as we knew it was such a slow power, we stopped using it entirely.

By now, the only thing we've ever seen it do is beat us grey and blue. This makes the League more than a little reticent about using it again.

TL;DR The part about Challenge that makes it useless is how slow it is.