It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Proposed Changes: Faction Abilities
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:32 am 
Combat Guru

Faction: Azure League

KarHallarn wrote:
<snip>

I basically agree. You have to choose mechanically which of those you want though, permanent or quick shot.

As I understand it Aggro spread is a derivative of Presence (ie more presence->greater aggro spread) please correct me if I'm wrong.

Your little examples seem reasonable for getting the reactions I'm looking for.

As for your last point, we're entirely on the same page, as I've indicated I find the idea of a war that merely requires me to log in once a day to do the exact same thing each day rather boring.

Kippei in this thread wrote:
KarHallarn wrote:
Taft is still controlling aggro manually (and can choose to just move the Fleet somewhere else), and if the Fleet has a goal like last mini-round there won't be anything we can do about it.

That's been the elephant in the room for me. Naturally, reducing aggro and presence to zero everywhere simultaneously doesn't automatically win us the game. But, if there's an event like "Attack from the Rim," how much can -- or should -- we do to change it into something like "Attacking the Northwest?"

An at least mostly automated system would really help. Help us, help you guys, the devs, help ease of balancing. The human factor is always a capricious one even despite the best intentions and the more it can be removed the more easily one can balance a set-up. Any developed AI can always be tweaked or scrapped outright in the future, but while it is operating it makes life easier (and hopefully better) for everyone.

As an aside to our esteemed devs: Generating a real time, balanced, engaging PvE experience is really hard, I appreciate the effort.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:25 pm 
Snuggler

Faction: Flight School
Quote:
An at least mostly automated system would really help. Help us, help you guys, the devs, help ease of balancing.

ha...in regards to ease of balancing, not really. As a person who's done AI work, it's just a very different kind of balancing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:31 am 
Moostro

We've spread the challenge topic far and wide, but I think it's probably a good time to look at wrapping it up so we can know what to expect. Taft: do you think we'll make the swap, and what are you thinking in regards to the challenge effects and any changes? Do you want more input, or have we put up the information and ideas you were looking for? =)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:55 am 
Snuggler

I think there's a lot of excellent information here, and I'm ready to do some balancing and coding.

Red/Blue leaders. Start a thread in the Leader forum formally declaring the trade of powers, followed by the signing off of the #1 leaders. I don't want it lost in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:46 am 
Sapphire Luminary

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
Quote:
An at least mostly automated system would really help. Help us, help you guys, the devs, help ease of balancing.

ha...in regards to ease of balancing, not really. As a person who's done AI work, it's just a very different kind of balancing.

IMO either way a mostly automated thing would still be preferable, as long as it isn't too much work (imo it seems kinda like too much work to do it all manually really). I've tried to actively ignore the fact that the fleet are to an extent manually controlled, but I know there are a few things it does complicate/make less interesting. We still very much appreciate all the work you've put into it all. :cheeky:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:29 pm 
Snuggler

Making a good automated enemy is difficult, and a good method to research it is to control it manually for some time. This is especially critical if the desired behavior is not 'optimized destruction of the opponent' but 'fun for all parties.'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:46 pm 
Combat Guru

Faction: Azure League

I was thinking along the lines of it being easier to work within a framework (the AI in this case) than trying to make changes in a complex but poorly mapped tangle of variables. IE, it makes making the changes easier, not the actual act of balancing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 pm 
Snuggler

Even with an AI, a need to map together a tangle of various interlinked variables would be likely.