Server Costs Oct

Ends in 11 days 0%
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: State of Things - 4/19/2010
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 am 
Snuggler

Faction: Flight School
This weekend has been incredibly productive and a lot of good work has been done.

However, I regret to say there are still a few tasks left to complete.

At this time, the following tasks must be accomplished before the game can come back up for public testing:
Implementation of Faction Leader abilities.
Webpage for the Faction Leaders to use their abilities.
Testing of 'boss' mode
Implement maintenance costs for Skyland offense & defense.

And the following tasks must be accomplished before the Hidden War can begin.
Finalizing Faction Storylines for the Event
Creation of some new Legendary Combats (half done currently)
Balancing costs of the Faction Abilities (this will be based partially on the numbers that occur during the public test)

We are incredibly close, but the game is not ready to come back up for tomorrow. My current plan is to keep it down for one more day to get the Faction Leader abilities implemented. The game will then come back up on Tuesday, we will rigorously test during that week, get the storylines finalized, and then the event will start bright and early on Monday morning of April 26th.

Post subject: Re: State of Things - 4/19/2010
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 am 
Snuggler

Feel free to comment here with any questions you have.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:11 am 

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
At this time, the following tasks must be accomplished before the game can come back up for public testing:
Implementation of Faction Leader abilities.
Webpage for the Faction Leaders to use their abilities.
Testing of 'boss' mode
Implement maintenance costs for Skyland offense & defense.

Wait, you can't restart the server until you have _implemented_ these features? Why can't you start it up with the pre-hidden-war code and develop offline? You _do_ have version control, right?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 am 
Snuggler

Osmirik wrote:
Wait, you can't restart the server until you have _implemented_ these features? Why can't you start it up with the pre-hidden-war code and develop offline? You _do_ have version control, right?

The key thing here is our World Server, the fellow responsible for all the timers that exist in the game (for things like flights, combats while flying, npcs running influence, etc). Additionally, most of the feature is done, it just needs severe testing for each of the abilities. Yes, we do have version control, but now is the time when the features actually need to be tested.

The Faction abilities will make heavy use of this server, as each ability will take certain amounts of time to go off.

Currently, we're not well set up for running multiple world servers (i.e., one for the game and one for testing). As such, for development, if I were to bring the game up, it would need to go back down/up constantly as the feature was tested, as well as dealing with the increased message output from all the players flying around.

Does that make sense?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:23 am 

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
Currently, we're not well set up for running multiple world servers (i.e., one for the game and one for testing). As such, for development, if I were to bring the game up, it would need to go back down/up constantly as the feature was tested, as well as dealing with the increased message output from all the players flying around.

Does that make sense?

If you mean "do you understand what I'm describing", then yes, I do.

If you mean "is this a sane way to write software", then I would have to disagree and say that no, it's not.

Apologies for the criticism, but I don't think it's unjustified - having a separate testing environment isn't rocket science, and nor is a proper release process.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:37 am 
Snuggler

Osmirik wrote:
If you mean "do you understand what I'm describing", then yes, I do.

If you mean "is this a sane way to write software", then I would have to disagree and say that no, it's not.

Apologies for the criticism, but I don't think it's unjustified - having a separate testing environment isn't rocket science, and nor is a proper release process.

Your criticism is perfectly fine, no need to apologize.

We don't disagree with anything that you're saying. Unfortunately, at the moment we don't have the resources to set one up. While not rocket science, it still requires time and knowledge on how to do it, and currently we don't have those readily available. As such, we make do with the hand we have been dealt.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:47 am 

Faction: Azure League

I can't imagine SR development ever describing itself as sane. Spirited, quirky, and surprising seem more apt.

What does public testing entail? Will we all be testing the Hidden War, or will the features of the War be locked away to devs/leaders until it really begins? If it's fully public, will War progress revert back to zero after testing's complete?

And will we get to keep some legendary combats after the event's over? A pile of new legendaries would be super great...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:53 am 
Snuggler

Amira Navaras wrote:
What does public testing entail? Will we all be testing the Hidden War, or will the features of the War be locked away to devs/leaders until it really begins? If it's fully public, will War progress revert back to zero after testing's complete?

Opening it to the entire public. They'll play as normal, we'll observe how the numbers are stacking up and that all the features are working. Then we'll revert most things back to zero for the actual event.

Quote:
And will we get to keep some legendary combats after the event's over? A pile of new legendaries would be super great...

We'll consider it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:55 am 

Osmirik wrote:

Fellow Skyrates, I think a rousing round of cheers and applause is in order for Osmirik's selfless offer to donate a second server to the developers. :remywicked:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:12 am 
Incarnation of Scissors

Faction: Court of Violets

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
This weekend has been incredibly productive and a lot of good work has been done.

However, I regret to say there are still a few tasks left to complete.

You could knock me over with a feather.

Chesterfield Taft wrote:
The game will then come back up on Tuesday,

Dang it. *Writes BL a check for 1,000,000 g-squigs.*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 am 

Mr. Fluffy wrote:
Osmirik wrote:

Fellow Skyrates, I think a rousing round of cheers and applause is in order for Osmirik's selfless offer to donate a second server to the developers. :remywicked:

If servers were the issue, I'd seriously consider doing so. However, with a hosting bill of $300 a month to support the current playerbase, I seriously doubt server capacity is the issue - particularly since a testing environment doesn't even need dedicated hardware.

Chesterfield Taft explained why things are the way they are, and while I think it's far from optimal, I can sympathize, having been in similar situations myself in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:57 am 

Without trying to be rude, or hurry you guys, I just want to say that I live my life around this game. If I know I'll be flying somewhere dangerous, I will make sure to wake up (even in the middle of the night, if need be) just to make sure that my auto-resolve doesn't loose a fight. Even though this is meant to be a sporadically played game, I just can't help myself. This new wait time really makes me feel much crazier.

But because I'm not the person who just complains about things, I have a (semi) solution. Unless you guys are working on the updates 24/7, designating an hour long stretch* of time that people can log on. But make this time period a different time each day, b/c I'm on EST and I have school, where Skyrates is blocked, so to be fair have it go between 10PM EST and 11PM EST on Tuesday and on Wednesday have it go between 10PM UST and 11PM UST. So everyone has a chance to queue up the next days actions.

Obviously, you would need to revert changes before this time each day, but my guess is that you have everything backed up and you are working on the backup, not the original (in case something goes wrong).

I understand that my plan is flawed, because if the servers are down, your queue means nothing (the servers can't carry it out). So maybe you could disable combat (and possibly also crew) and just carry out the queues. (obviously with everything happening on the normal times so that prices still fluctuate...)
* doesn't have to be an hour, could be more.

Please (at least pretend) to consider some sort of the ideas that I have proposed here, and maybe even act on some of them.

Thank you,
Skyrates fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:30 pm 

Sounds like the Hidden War will be quite the thing; biggest change/update since my joining up, at least :grin:

I'm curious, though; will Independents have a role to play, or will the focus be (solely) on the factions?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:49 pm 
Flight Master

bladeo69 wrote:
~snip~

Thanks much for the suggestions. We'll consider some of them. The big trouble with a number of such plans is that they do require a level of dev time. First to implement, and second to maintain. With any such matter, we need to make tough decisions on where to best spend our resources.

Reckless Rafiki wrote:
Sounds like the Hidden War will be quite the thing; biggest change/update since my joining up, at least :grin:

I'm curious, though; will Independents have a role to play, or will the focus be (solely) on the factions?

The majority of the individual storylines will be for the factions, but there will certainly be some events that involve all Skytopians. Gameplay wise, Independents will hopefully have a bit of a mercenary role in the War.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:12 pm 

So this is what it feels like to be a crack addict... I spent alllll day at work looking forward to playing :shock:

Looking forward to the changes, to see how they play out. Meanwhile I should work on stopping... the... {static}... TWITCHING

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:25 pm 

Lord Gilbert wrote:
Reckless Rafiki wrote:

The majority of the individual storylines will be for the factions, but there will certainly be some events that involve all Skytopians. Gameplay wise, Independents will hopefully have a bit of a mercenary role in the War.

Cool! Thanks for the information :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:49 pm 

Boss ability, leader web page, unique fraction actions?!? Y'all out did yourselves this time. If this is as awesome as I imagine it, then feel free to take a week to bring this epic game play online.

/crazy fan boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:59 pm 

Th3GoodSon wrote:
So this is what it feels like to be a crack addict... I spent alllll day at work looking forward to playing :shock:

Looking forward to the changes, to see how they play out. Meanwhile I should work on stopping... the... {static}... TWITCHING

....I know how you fell man....

Can't wait for the Hidden War. (Go DEVS! :thumbs: )

For the RP storyline, I am curious of how that will be executed. Would it be done in the RP chat tab or in the forums? Also, how will the storyline created by the RP guides be followed?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:37 pm 
Flirt

Aw, phooey. I thought it'd be up today.

Ah well. Better that it's up and bug-free later than buggier sooner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:49 pm 
Cupid

Faction: Jade Hand

I am so lucky the non-Alpha version won't be up until all my graduation requirements are submitted.

I am definitely looking forward to this, guys!