Register / Log in

Server Costs Jun

Ends in 6 days 0%
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: [Fuseli] The Lament for Lost Dreams
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:13 pm 

Faction: Azure League

"The warning came by mail, a music box wrapped in wire.
Then an angel walked through the door, scanned the room and opened fire."

-- Sentinel

Fuseli, a few days ago. Gray-uniformed flight deck attendants scramble with aircraft tugs, violet ribbons fluttering in the light wind. Fighters are taken off queue and moved back to an elevator to clear the deck.

The tower sends a message, a voice singing through static. "Coming in hot, altitude five-seventy..." it reports. An Ingersoll is towed by a pair of attendants just as the white plane explodes with odd silence from the clouds. Trails of disturbance ripple behind its wingtips, flaps jut out to brake.

There's a squeal and a cloud of smoke, there's the soft murmur of enormous engines at idle. The craft lands flat and brakes hard, running out the length of the runway. It turns off and stops, the ramp of the gunship lowering before it halts. Now several figures disembark, boots clattering on the aluminum. Polished black alights on the armored deck, matched to uniforms cut sharp and clean. They wear peaked caps, violet-banded, but for one who eschews a hat for a mask.

"...landing clean. Beat of the Rising Sun has arrived. Welcome to Fuseli."

She touches four fingers to the bridge of her half-mask, adjusting the alabaster thing where it lay on her face. With a sleek muzzle and exaggerated fangs that jut over her slim lips, the mask gives her a sharply draconic look, the horns of the mask settled low between her ears. Those lips curl into a smile, while the mask hides everything else. She trills softly. "Good afternoon, Commander. I trust the ship's been properly sanitized?"

He touches fingers to the visor of his kepi and nods once. "It was abandoned before it changed hands. Further orders?"

Her head bows, white bangs cresting over the mask's forehead. "It has been decided. Remove the Empire's stain, the Lament for Lost Dreams is ours. We respect Fuseli, leave his name where you find it. And then, we will decide what to do with it." She turns to face the tower, looking over the guns. Her expression is lost. "It is a shame. There's never been a battleship upon the path. Whether this is a diversion or a crossroads, yet remains to be seen. One hopes that possession does not lead us to materialism and avarice, yes?"

"Of course. We will be mindful as we hold it. Should I prepare the guns for a counter-attack?"

She tilts her head back, now, her eyes on the sky. As she faces the sun, she smiles. "Wonderful foresight. We would like to hold on to this until there's a proper Armada to give it to. Do let me know how the refit proceeds."

He nods, while she and her aircrew softly bow and turn. They stride down the armored deck toward the tower.

Last edited by Amira Navaras on Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [Fuseli] The Lament of Lost Dreams
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:40 pm 
Nip Addict

Faction: Flight School
Nervously, The Widow Ching entered the mess hall, paws playing about a holstered side arm. Overturned chairs, half-eaten hard tack and the putrid smell of yesterday's grog comprised the welcoming committee. The sprig of lavender in her left ear did little to mollify the stench. Sundry rumors had the Madam Ching on edge and expecting more obvious dangers beyond the olfactory assault; however, the threats she had been warned of and, indeed, assigned to neutralize were not of the overt variety. She and several other courtiers had been assigned a task: "Sweep The Lament for Lost Dreams and dispose of all objects of a suspicious or malicious nature detrimental to creature health and safety."

Sadly, The Art of Treachery is not wanting for practitioners. It is this truth that brought The Widow Ching to The Court of Violets in the first place. Best not to think about it now. Poisoned provisions, booby trapped cots, trip wires, incendiary devises, explosives — none of these are outside the realm of possibility and, therefore, may not be outright discounted. Hasty retreats can be feigned. Mine fields can be sown in the clutter. The Crimson Armada is resourceful and calculating enough to at least consider such measures, regardless of whether their employ is sanctioned by Fuseli, or whoever may be holding the reins at the moment. Incursions into Eltsina and Arcadia have made The Court wary.

Stepping carefully over rubbish and scanning the floor for wires, she makes her way into the kitchen. She smells the air for any signs of a slow gas leak and checks the oven for signs of tampering. The pilot light is still on. Good. Carefully and slowly she opens the pantry. Dusty cans of tuna stacked high show no signs of recent disturbance save the shuffling of victuals about while chefs search in vain for elusive or absent quality ingredients — The Lament is a battleship after all. Best to dispose of all the food just in case, besides, it looks like intestinal discomfort waiting to happen.

Turning around, The Widow Ching stops and hesitates. What is that? In the flicking half light ("I hope the electricians can do something about this fluorescent lighting! Bad transformer?"), on the stainless steel countertop, atop a chopping block sits a tiny slumped figure. Is that a... yes I think it is... a plush Admiral Fuseli doll!? The Widow impulsively reaches for it without thinking. It was in her hands before she even entertained the possibility of a trap.

Breathing in sharply as she realizes her mistake, she holds stock still with the doll in hand. "That could have been really bad!" Relaxing a bit, she examines the tightly sewn seams — no signs of alteration or treachery —and the well-fashioned, grizzled face of Fuseli. "Well, this hardly qualifies as a threat. Very nice craftsmanship! Captures his cuddly sternness perfectly." The Widow Ching chuckles to herself as she imagines a heavyset line chef curling up for a nap with the stuffed Fuseli. "The softer side of Red, indeed."

Satisfied with her sweep, she makes ready to report her findings and continue the purge in the crew quarters. Before leaving, she props the admiral on the counter at attention. "That is more like it!"

Last edited by The Widow Ching on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: [Fuseli] The Lament of Lost Dreams
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:11 am 
Pirate Hat

Faction: Earthen Order

OOC: nice! Gotta admire that quality Purple artistry. :smile:

Post subject: Re: [Fuseli] The Lament for Lost Dreams
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:35 pm 
Harrisian Fez

Of all the people walking the halls of the Lament for Lost Dreams, only Rudolf Fahrenheit seems to be wearing the colors of the Azure League, along with some violet paint sideways along his cheeks for the occasion. He'd missed his chance to capture the Admiral. Still, as he excitedly wanders through what was once enemy territory, he can hardly call it a failure. He had been warned to watch for danger, though; this is the Crimson Armada. Despite this, he keeps his hands off the rapier at his side, preferring to keep it a decoration rather than a weapon and instead use the various gadgets in his possession to escape should an ambush occur.

Rudolf hesitantly enters the mess hall. This place is filthy. Unwashed dishes and stains litter the tables. It's to be expected, given the Armada had to leave in such a hurry. Deciding he has plenty of spare time, he carries the dishes off to the kitchen one stack at a time, washes them in the sink, and places them in the cabinets. As he finishes putting away the last stack, he turns around, jumps in surprise and prepares for battle as he sees a face he recognizes all too well. A face he associates with nothing but ruthless greed and senseless sacrifice of life. The face of Admiral Ignacious Fuseli... on a tiny plush doll.

"Whoever put this here has a sick, sick sense of humor," Rudolf says, embarrassed that he had been startled, his normally somewhat high-pitched and youthful voice trembling with anger. Moving over to the doll, he picks it up and winds up his arm, preparing to hurl at the wall. Then he stops, sighs, and stares at the doll in his hand. "Well, I guess it is kinda cute." Calming himself down, he places it back on the counter exactly as it was when he found it and finds a washcloth. As he leaves to clean the tables, he turns and takes one last look at the doll. "They really care about the old man, huh?"

Rudolf takes a moment to think about this. Does Fuseli repay his followers with that same kind of respect after all? Has Rudolf been wrong about him all along? He hopes these questions will be answered later. For now, the chase continues. Smiling, Rudolf quickly adds, "Someone should really find an Islo doll to go with that thing," and leaves for the mess hall to finish his self-imposed cleanup duty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:24 pm 
Dev Eyepatch

Faction: Crimson Armada

[OOC: It's going to take us a week to air out the smells of incense, potpourri and Emo.]

:remygross:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:35 am 
Helpful

OOC:
Batty Den wrote:
[OOC: It's going to take us a week to air out the smells of incense, potpourri and Emo.]

:remygross:

Don't forget the Nip stains,

oh and 4 mil inf :thumbs: .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:42 am 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

Pen storms into the officer's quarters for the first time in what seems like two lifetimes. His hurried expression and constant glances at a strange paper indicate this was not a simple nostalgia visit.

"That hatch has got to be around here"

Pawing the "map" nervously, Pen finally sees his destination, a small service point for the fire suppression system. After re-looking at the paper, Pen slowly takes a small hammer and firmly strikes behind the cutoff valve causing part of a panel to lift up. Pulling out the sheet metal opens up a hole just barely large enough to crawl through.

"Magnus knows how she found this"

The tunnel although cramped and long, was surprisingly easy going and opened out into a small gap in the bulkhead. Past a section of reinforced hull intended to support a long removed belt of armor, this was a reminder of Lament's former glory as a seagoing warship. But now rather then protection from torpedo attacks, Z! had set up a little storehouse for certain "supplies" during her tenure in the Armada.

Opening a random bottle of hors d'age brandy, Pen makes a toast to the glorious new future for the Lament.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:11 pm 
Harrisian Fez

"Fools! You all fell for my trap! Now Skytopia will be mine!" Fuseli laughs triumphantly. "Curse you, Fuseli!" Guildmistress Eltsina calls out in despair. "Is there nothing we can do, Lord Gilbert?" "If Islo were here, he'd never let this happen," Lord Gilbert replies with a mix of sadness and anger. "Arr, 'tis a sad day for pirates everywhere," says Captain Remy, removing his hat and taking a big gulp of rum. But just then, the Voyager himself rises out of the ground! "Fuseli! You shot me down at Tortuga, and now I want revenge!" "The Voyager Lawrence Islo is a zombie! Magnus rest his soul!" Cries Matriarch Clara, terrified. Fuseli turns and tries to run away from the zombie giraffe as best he can. "No! Stay back! Ahhhh!"

Rudolf holds the Islo and Fuseli dolls together and imitates munching noises with his mouth. Then he snickers like a mischievous child, puts them down, and looks at the clock on the wall. "Well, that was a fun way to spend twenty minutes." He decides it's time to bring the incredibly corny scene to a close. Lining up all the dolls side-by-side on the counter, he walks away and retrieves one of the many bottles of cream soda he had used to help stock the refridgerator. He had been thinking for a while; why did he join the Azure League again? Part of it was because he liked their individualism, but as he looks across the room at the doll of Fuseli, it only just now dawns on him that, all along, that hadn't been the main reason. He barely got to say goodbye to the League before he left them behind and rushed to the Court's side. How are they doing? Did he make a mistake leaving them to come here, all for his own revenge? Deciding he isn't all that thirsty after all, he nonetheless takes his bottle of soda with him and leaves the kitchen to wander the halls.

"Excuse me," he calls out to the emptiness, "is anyone in the Court of Violets around here? Anyone at all? I just need some advice..."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:58 am 
Hack Journalist

Ell wanders down out of the captains quarters, dressed in an absolutley absurd Admirals uniform, looted from some over-budget play about a boat. It is sadly splattered with purple paint, as he has been stencling graffiti over... pretty much everything. Walls, floors, ceilings, heads, the works. He had looted what was left of the non-hidden booze stocks, stashing them under the captains bunk for nostalga's sake. He heads to the kitchen, betting theres some more booze hidden there. He spots Rudolf and his toys, grinning "beware of sudden but ineviable betrayl. How you liking the ship? Useta be my home, you know. Long story."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:18 pm 
Harrisian Fez

"Yeah, it's really nice here. Just like I thought it'd be, actually." Rudolf stops in front of Ellington, standing at only 5' 3", looking up at him, and follows the ferret's gaze to a toy Rudolf was still fumbling around with. This toy was custom-made in Rudolf's image, dressed in the same blue scarf and azure flight jacket, made from plastic, unlike the plush dolls he had left behind in the kitchen. He quickly pockets the squirrel figurine. "I need to be more careful... that's actually a flash grenade." Being in the presence of a radio star seems to have distracted Rudolf. What was he going to ask about again? Stalling for time, he drinks some of his cream soda.

It was only some time ago that a blue Ingersoll with Thrillseeker painted on the side in a fiery orange had flown to Arcadia at top speed, its pilot in too much of a hurry to do any of his usual stunts. He had stood in front of the attack force of the Court of Violets, begging them to take him in. "I'm Rudolf Fahrenheit of the Azure League! I heard you're attacking the Crimson Dawn. Please let me help!"

Rudolf remembers why he wanted advice, and speaks nervously. "M... Mister Ellington, I have a confession to make. A friend of mine was a loyal, yet low-ranking soldier in the Armada, but he died during the Tortugan Upheaval, fighting for Fuseli's selfish cause. Why did Fuseli have to sacrifice him, just for some lousy unobtainium? That's why I joined the Azure League, and why I made my way here to the Crimson Dawn: to get my revenge. But now I think I've realized that I'm the only one who wants to see Fuseli gone. Did I just make the same mistake, taking advantage of the entire Azure League and the Court of Violets for a battle only I wanted to fight?" He pauses, his large, fluffy tail drooping to the floor dejectedly. "Sorry, I guess I went on for a while. But what do you think I should do? What would the Court think I should do?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:21 am 
Hack Journalist

Ell grins, not standing too much taller than Rudolf, being only about 5'6" himself, though he always strides around as if he were a giant. "A flashbang? well, that is better than boomyexplodyouchy, I suppose. Though it did look very well done. You should talk with my bomb tech/navigator Galina. She likes that sort of stuff." He putters around the kitchen, looking in weird places like under the sink, tucked away cabinets, and even poking at weird looking wall pannels. He finds no booze, just a chache of pistols. He sighs, slapping a quick, stencled graffiti on the cover to the guns, and decides to make himself a cup of tea, though he neither drinks tea nor really knows how to make it; he thinks it will enhance his Wise Guru image.

"It is nice... and they civillianed it up a lot since it hasn't been an active warship... but don't forget, it IS a warship, and Red is running around with.. well, still one now, but I was going to say two. And you can call me Ell." He sits at the table, swinging his gilded boots up onto the tabletop, cradling his cup of extra-way-too-strong tea. "Why soldiers fight and die is always a complicated question... Your friend joined knowing he could die. In war, and times of tension, a lot of decisions sort of... spiral out of control. Communications get strained, ego and pride and factionalisim all rise their ugly heads, and it all tangles up and everybody refuses to back down. The pressure builds until somebody feels they have to do something that, presumably, no rational being wants. Of course, the words presumably and rational are fairly key in certain cases. Just because the majority wants peace does not mean everybody does."

He thinks a bit, then nods "revenge is a very slippery slope. Only you can decide what satisfies your honor, or how far to take it. I severly doubt you are the only one who wants Fuseli gone, but every action can start a chain reaction of... reactions. You are thinking of your path, your reasons, and that is good. Who knows where that will take you? That is both exciting and frightening. Also, while I can't say about the Leauge, I don't think you took advantage of the Court. We are welcoming, we understand those who seek, and you helped us while we helped you. We are here too. If your reasons do not satisfy you, change them. You have power of you, and your actions. I think you should be at peace with yourself. If that means fighting the Armada tooth and nail, so be it. If it means being content with the world the way it is, so be it. and you thought you rambled"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:46 am 

Hubert trundles through a narrow passageway, a huge stack of books in his arms swaying dangerously with each footstep. He rounds a corner and sees Ellington and Rudolph, and smiles.
"Greeetings, fellow courtiers! I say, these reds may know little of housekeeping but I believe I've found a goodly portion of their archives, such as they are." He shakes the book stack, causing the topmost tome to tumble to the ground, where it falls open and a pistol hidden inside spills out. The hippo notes with irony that the book in question reads "The Art of Diplomacy".

"Bah. I hope they're all not like that. There's several rather rare texts that I was rather excited to find." He looks at Ellington for a moment. "Perhaps you have some knowledge of some hidden treasures that I was unable to locate."

Noting Rudolph's slightly dejected pose, he adds, "I trust all is well with you?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:13 pm 
Harrisian Fez

Rudolf stares off into space for a moment. "Joined knowing he could die... I never thought of it that way before." Then, realizing he was just asked a question, he shakes himself back to reality. "Oh. Yeah, I'm okay. Mist- ...um, Ell and I were just talking." He turns back to Ellington. "Thanks, Ell. I don't know if I should still go after Fuseli or not, but I think I'll stay with the Court until I figure out what needs to be done. One thing's for sure, though, I need a break from all this 'war' stuff." He starts to leave, looking a bit more upbeat than he was a second ago. "I'm gonna go now. I need to think. Thanks again!" On his way out, he says to Hubert, "And good luck with finding those treasures. Sorry I can't help. I'll be back!"

Rudolf walks out of sight, but then comes back to add, "Oh, and I'm keeping the blue motif. I think it looks good on me." He leaves again, for real this time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:12 pm 
Nip Addict

The Widow Ching stands in the center of the begrimed machine shop vigorously tamping an ill-gotten pack of Fortunate Hit cigarettes. She had found them, along with a dedicated collection of earmarked "gentleman" magazines, in an officer's humidor. The Madam begrudges nobody their pin-up foxes, "no good plane should be without em'!" The full-flavored fags, however, were fair game as far as she was concerned.

The brand has always been in high demand, especially during times of factional conflict, notwithstanding embargoes. Coveted by enlisted, conscripted and civilian alike, in uncertain times even as G-Squigs tanked, these cylindrical beauties held well above their market value (some even using them as bartering currency to attain things even more difficult to find on the black market). This pack was vintage too, predating The Court's first appearance in Skytopia—you can tell by the splash of purple text near the brand logo, a marketing style abandoned in the wake of "patriotic" Anti-Court of Violet skepticism and hysteria. Ba! Fear of the other! It is a real pity, what would factions do without their manufactured conflicts? Drive off the Hidden Fleet?

She places a ciggy in her mouth, readies a match, looks around and then thinks better of it. "Best be waiting until I get outta motor oil city, here. Hmm. Where would it be?" The Widow begins searching shelves and drawers for schematics and repair logs.

Certain parts of the ship had been losing electrical power intermittently. The primary dynamo used to charge the enormous power cells was, in the words of an exasperated Courtland engineer, "inescapably gonked." Perhaps older than Fuseli, either the ship or the man, these hulking generators are easily some of oldest and best-maintained artifacts in the working museum that is The Lament for Lost Dreams. "Probably the commutator, it is usually the last to go on these. And in this case," the engineer casting a wry eye in the direction of the giant armature, "it is definitely the last thing that could go."

Maybe on the electronics bench? Beneath a pile of metal shavings, capacitors and rainbow colored resistors, she finds what she came for: A coffee stained log book with decades of entries. Paging through it she thinks, "Hubert would love this! An interesting slice of history. Looks like some Azure boys had been commissioned to work on it way back when. I'll bring it to him after the engineers get their fix."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:12 am 
Nip Addict

The Widow makes her way down the tight corridor from the engine room towards the kitchen. On the far end she sees Rudolf turn and disappear up a flight of stairs with a distinct bounce to his step. The ship wide power hiccups, thanks in no small part to the overworked engineers, seem to be taken care of for the moment.

Courtiers were everywhere making little changes and improvements around The Lament. Murals were springing up, literally overnight, in all the cargo holds. One hip, nip-addled hedgehog had turned one of the urinals in the crew's lavatory into a piece of installation art, "You should check it out, lady! I mean, its in the male's restroom but, like, yeah, like don't let that stop you. Everyone is like, too freaked out to use it now, heh. Hey, do you have a smoke?" She made a point to check it out.

He had apparently taken his inspiration from old sea tales, legends from when the Lament was a seafaring vessel. Upon entering the tiny lavatory, The Widow was presented with a monstrous tentacled beast reaching out from the wall — a dread Kraken of nautical lore. She had to admit that the front aspect of the urinals did look suspiciously like the beak of a squid. The tentacles, of modular design, were from found scraps of sheet metal and had been skillfully sculpted and painted to amplify the enormity, ferocity and lifelike qualities of the cephalopod within the confines of the cramped restroom. What a horrible and vulnerable place to be assaulted! It was truly a terrifying sight to behold. A beautiful piece of art. "Small wonder nobody wanted to relieve themselves in the maw of a titanic killer," she remarked upon exiting.

Turning the corner into the kitchen she sees Ellington and Hubert. "Hubert, I was looking for you. Ellington," she stops, "where did you find that ridiculous outfit?" Then noting the pistol on the ground, "Another one! You should have seen what was cleared out of the nursery."

Taking a seat near Hubert, she presents to him a massive, grimy tome. "This is one of several maintenance log books I found while running an errand for the rehabilitation crew. It has details of almost every overhaul and repair since before the Lament became airborne. It seems like there is a lot of Azure technology at work here. The League was even commissioned at points to do some work on her. I thought you might enjoy a look at it and I think it would make a fine addition to the archives. I think it is a valuable bit of history." Now looking at Ellington, "Speaking of this blue work order, I note with some interest there are references in here to a Governor Ellington, several years ago, who ordered 'unconventional and extreme emergency retrofits and countermeasures' ... that couldn't possibly be you, right?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:30 am 
Princess Gown

The white hedgehog stood frozen in the middle of the somewhat empty room. The chairs that had once been arranged around a table in the middle of the meeting room were shoved against the wall, the table against the wall as well. In the silence, the only sound that came was from the hum of the dim overhead lights. Then...

Then the slow straines of the the Lake in Moonlight from Swan Lake began to play, piped through the speakers so all would be able to hear. Seems like Skylark's friends managed to get it to work. One arm raised above her head slowly and the other swirled around. Standing on her toes she raised a leg and pointed it out in front of her. As the music swelled and picked up the pace, Skylark's dancing picked up pace as well.

Her legs kicked outward as she ran and leaped into the air, landing, spinning, kicking a leg behind her, turn, arm gracefully raising above her head, the other as well, then slowly lowering to the floor.

OOC: you can has music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P65WNm48p0

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:07 am 
Hack Journalist

"rare books, on Fuseli? Probably someone bought them way back when and they havent been touched since." Ell grins, preening his uniform for Ching "Sadly, I don't know about any hidden treasures. The whole ship is an antique, and there is bound to be hidden niches and forgotten things everywhere. I searched all the hiding places I know of. Did you check a library? is there one here? If there is a door covered in dust, go for it. Also, there is a nursery? really? huh. I imagine it was filled with 'purple killed your mother' propoganda. What did you find in there?" He tugs at the embroidered, fancy collar with gold braid and big shiny buttons, looking a little.... shifty. "uhh.... journalistic immunity?"