Register / Log in

Server Costs Jun

Ends in 6 days 0%
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A New Expedition: Ideas and Planning and such. (OOC, for IC)
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:29 am 

Faction: Crimson Armada

Alright, I'm not particularly good at this....Here goes.

I'm planning an Expedition in Skyrates RP. Essentially it'll be like the Barrens, with hopefully all of the active RP'ers joining in. I'm planning on being the 'Dungeon Master' for this, although...I'm rather new, so I'll need some help. Feel free to post advice, ideas, ect.

What I've got so far is:
-The Azure Horizon will be commissioned for this adventure. This entails going through :blue: 's politics and such?(Done IC) Details Appreciated.
-Nimblefingers will spread the word(IC) about it, and at some point in time hold/host a Conclave meeting IC for discussion of the Expedition. (I'll call it the NE from now on.) This will also double as an attendance tally.
-Location: We/I need one. I'm considering The Barrens, The Courtlands, and inventing a new frontier altogether.

Therefore, Discussion for now will be about where we'll be going. Where would you prefer to go, and why. Also, ideas for the Frontier(Where it would be, what it's like, ect.) would be greatly appreciated.
:smile:

Post subject: Re: A New Expedition: Ideas and Planning and such. (OOC, for IC)
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:36 am 
Space Suit

Faction: Azure League

Inventing a new frontier altogether would be a little much. The Barrens has been done but the courtlands remain a mystery. I can do IC stuff with the Conclave and the Horizon dice Blue and Red aren't the best of friends they would be hesitant if they let one use their flagship to go to a new land. I think Maya would be better to talk to, though. :blueflag:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 9:46 am 
Explorer

Naes has a foot in the door regarding the Horizon and the League. He's gone before the Conclave to present findings on behalf of an earlier expedition on Earthbreach that eventually lead into both the Horizon's creation, and information about the Hidden Fleet's technology before they were truly known. He was partly involved with the Horizon's later outfitting, and had high hopes for it's use in exploration, before the Hidden War sidetracked them.

He'd be down, and willing to stand up with whomever if need be. Not much love for the Crimson bunch, but he could be swayed.

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:46 am 

Alex Webster: While I'm not active in RP at the moment, there are a couple of other 'off the map' skylands that I remember. There's... that place that Jelani Mpunju came from and Reichland, somewhere beyond Urrwerk. I have no idea if anyone from Skytopia has visited them already, though.
Naes Draw [Explorer]: Reichland yeah, at least at somepoint.

Also, there's this:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7232
I think the Courtlands is/are the best choice, so far, although New Haven looks promising. I'm thinking about Nim finding a delerict ship(preferrably a large one) that's been washed in from wherever, that has some pretty rare stuff in it, so Nim decides to mount said Expedition. Sound good, or does there need to be more...appeal?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:11 am 

Faction: Flight School
I was actually considering having Johnny tell some crazy stories about giant, flying reptiles and such that attack and destroy aircraft that go too far to the southeast of Grottopolis... I think it might be amusing if it turned out that these aren't just made-up stories from people who got caught in storms.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:15 am 
July 4th 2014

If people can get Aron into it, Azzy will most certainly be down for it. Also, this has given me some stuff to think about for Jimmy's thing...

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 am 
Explorer

Johnny Cirrus wrote:
I was actually considering having Johnny tell some crazy stories about giant, flying reptiles and such that attack and destroy aircraft that go too far to the southeast of Grottopolis... I think it might be amusing if it turned out that these aren't just made-up stories from people who got caught in storms.

You mean like the giant glowing tentacle thing 'round Uur?

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:19 pm 

Faction: Flight School
Naes Draw wrote:
Johnny Cirrus wrote:

You mean like the giant glowing tentacle thing 'round Uur?

Heh, sure. I was thinking he'd make some sort of claim that supposed anti-piracy patrols out into the black were actually to patrol for wandering dragons, or something, and that they never flew zeppelins, because those are just easy pickings for the agile reptiles... or something. :secret:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 3:40 pm 
Muse

Faction: Jade Hand

There would certainly be a lot of excuses to go to the Courtlands. After the Barrens, most of the characters are probably too tired and defeated to even think of going back. I have a couple characters who are Court or descendent of Courtlanders, so I could definitely get in on that.

You would probably want to be real careful about this, though; my own failure in planning caused the Barrens RP to fall apart. I'd recommend getting an extra DM or two so you aren't murdering the RP when you're gone. Even if you plan to open up the exploration aspect to player-description, you need to have somebody around to make sure the players don't go somewhere that displaces the continuity or sommat to that effect.

I wouldn't pursue the new region idea. Spawning a new skylet is one thing, but an entire region of populace suggests a shift of the entire atmosphere of this canon. Recall that the premise is that we're effectively stranded and alone. To start finding more than a few groups of people could be sommat more of a Dev call for RP than I'd like to imagine. Even if the implications could lead to a great set of RP shifts, I'd highly recommend sticking to the Courtlands.

EDIT: I'd, I'd, I'd. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:27 pm 
Space Suit

I'm online a lot. Probably more than I should be. If you want, I could probably try being a backup DM. I'm not exactly sure if I'd be good or not. I don't usually lead things in RP, but I know how.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:12 am 

So, Courtlands it is. And Sinen, I'd love to have you as a second in command/co-DM, thanks for the suggestion Maya. You're welcome to be a co-DM with Sinen, if you'd like.

I'd also like to clear some things up.
1) Were there humans before the upheaval, or have us Skyrate-ians always been around?
2) Where are we technologically? Id Est, are we on par with pre-upheaval technology, more advanced, or lagging behind?
3) On a similar note to 2, how advanced was/is pre-upheaval tech?
(If there's not much data on 2 and 3, I'll improvise.)
4)Does anyone have some ideas for fun things to RP whilst in the Courtlands? (Note: Fun to roleplay does not mean it's fun IC. Just thought I'd clear that up.) For example, I'd love to RP a dogfight or dogfights. I'm just trying to get a storyboard/rough sketch of this in my head, and I'd love some input from everyone.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:43 am 
July 4th 2014

1. From what I've heard, it's always been anthro animal-people.
2. In regards to Pre-Upheaval tech, I think we're actually about par. Compared to IRL, I've heard it compared to 1950's as far as aircraft, but without jet engines or turboprops because of a lack of things like nickel and titanium... or something (since those usually require big mines to obtain, and land is at a premium). We have things like radar, but no jets, things like that. I'm no expert, though.
3. See above.
4. There could always be someone with some ulterior motive who sabotages things and all that fun stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:17 pm 

Alright, I want to avoid Timewarping and RP-killing as much as possible, although it may be necessary for the Courtlands. Motivation is clear though. There was a boat found, it's a refurbished pre-Upheaval ship, that has some new technology and blueprints and such, and strangely enough, no people. The purpose of this Expedition is to discover who the people were/are, where the ship came from, and if there's more tech.

By the way, Sinen and Maya, You two are officially either Co-GM's or Vice-GM's, whichever you prefer.

Now,We need to take a consensus of where we should go. If you have an idea, please post it, your reasons why, and the pro's and con's.

Here's a couple of ideas.

The Courtlands- Far away, so it's unfamiliar to us, and able to develop new technology without us knowing it. Pro- It's not really been done before, so its kind of a sandbox for us. Con- VERY far away, it'd probably need a Timewarp.

New Skyland- Pirate base perhaps. 'Nuff said I think. Pro's- Close, plenty of action, and ample room to RP. Cons- Close, not quite the feeling of adventure that exploring a 'new fronteir' would be, which is kind of what I envisioned for this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:28 pm 
Muse

I will summarise my timesplit proposition here, for clarity.

Essentially, if we go to the Courtlands, we are running a huge risk of dismantling normal RP and hurting the activity level of Skyrates even more. By making use of the timesplit, continuity is no longer a concern, and so characters can be played at home logically and still have the Courtlands RP in session.

In practice, we will RP up to the point that the Courtlands becomes an active RP of its own, then cut the timeline such that the trip is no longer relevant to canon RP. Our characters will proceed in both timelines independantly of each other. It will simply be two different environments for RP.

At the point at which the Courtlands trip is no longer RPed, we will decide as players how to fit the history into our individual character-canon, and with the help of OOC God Powers, we may throw out irrelevant details and include important details from the Courtlands trip.

At the point that a character is settled, the player may engage the Timewarp Affliction Wave, changing their character as instantly or as gradually as is appropriate. Eventually, all characters will have seamlessly blended the Courtlands RP into their history.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:43 pm 

Alright, so that pretty much makes everything fair game.
Are you dead-set on the Courtlands? I think the Pirate Skyland had the potential to be less 'Tourist-y' and more Action/adventure. Plus We could make it a little larger and farther away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:52 pm 
Muse

I personally wouldn't be nearly as interested in a Skytopian area as in a Courtland area, explicitly because of the connections the Courtlands has in relation to my characters. So, in that regard, I'm biased.

The Courtlands don't have to be tourist-ey. We just have to have a plot to work in. The ship is a good idea, but in practice, it appears to have fallen short in the plausibility department.

I suggest making use of the ship as sommat hardly a big deal, and simply springboarding. Find another thing like this, and another, and realise the chain. Connect the dots and find a pirate swarm's involved. Go even deeper and realise the pirates in question are from the Courtlands. Go deeper-deeper and now we're at the Courtlands with the intention of destroying/discovering/what-have-you these pirates.