Register / Log in

Server Costs Aug

Ends in 6 days 0%
It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Skylight as a baseline for SR3's UI?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:41 pm 
Developer

From the little I've seen, Skylight's user interface is beautiful, clean and intuitive. The multi-platform possibilities are tantalizing.

Perhaps a question better put directly to the Devs, but what would it take to port some of this design into the next major release of Skyrates?

Post subject: Re: Skylight as a baseline for SR3's UI?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:29 pm 
True Friend

Faction: Crimson Armada

That would be amazing and delicious.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:36 pm 

Faction: Flight School
Not to be crude to our wonderful devs, but seeing what sorts of wonderous things come out of our wonderous community... couldn't we (collectively) build a better mousetrap, so to speak?
A totally redone game, using the various talents of the Skyrates community. UI is already mostly done with this, it's gorgeous. Get Soren and some others to make the art... we could all build a different version of the game ourselves, I bet. Except maybe the combat, that looks pretty tough. But who knows? Maybe someone here has been itching to make their own version of that for a while.
We could incorporate all the things we want to but the devs haven't had the time to do: player-owned skylands or Alphas, fuel skylets or whatever, businesses on skylands, faction wars that could actually mean something, and more.
Or maybe all of these wonderous tools and their makers could just get used by the devs for the next version of the game like was suggested. Still, I think a whole new version could come nearly entirely out of the community.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:17 pm 
Flirt

Faction: Azure League

Martin Andreysin wrote:
That would be amazing and delicious.

Agreed. We have an AMAZING community of people with a bunch of different skills. Why not make use of that and relieve some of the burden on the devs?

[insert shameless TSoTW plug]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:05 am 
Developer

It's a topic for another thread, but over on some of the Dev-only sections of this Forum, there have been discussions on what sort of implications an open source Skyrates might have (I hope it's okay that I revealed that). Unfortunately, most of those threads have been untouched for quite some time. But, it does appear that the idea has been kicked about. No final word on a decision that I've seen, FWIW.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:19 am 

Faction: Flight School
Skyrates, gone open-source? That would be monstrously awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:49 pm 
Flirt

As above, so below.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:16 pm 
Developer

I believe that you can't actually open-source an MMO. You need trusted administrators, and everyone can't see the code, or there would be rampant cheating. What we are talking about is making it easier for others to implement extensions and add-ons. Recently, we created this new forum, and we implemented OpenID so players can login on other websites. We've also been talking to Kathryn about a partnership to create a semi-official, Flash and extension-free, iDude and Android compatible chat client.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:15 pm 
Helpful

If you publish an API for your server, and if the server performs the validation it should be doing anyhow, then the client can be open-sourced with no harm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:41 pm 
Developer

Yes, sorry, an MMO client can be open-sourced. An MMO server cannot. And our server does already perform most validations, that's why sometimes your client thinks that you sold 1 million diamonds, but then you refresh and you didn't really. The server just doesn't have a published API.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:37 am 

Faction: Crimson Armada

One thing that I would like to toss out there if this is any sort of possibility, still:

Making the game (mostly) accessible to people who are Blind or Visually Impaired. (Two distinct things, ask if you really want the definition.)

Combat, as it stands right now, would be very difficult to make a UI for.

Chat? Skylight is (mostly) accessible: Dianna is able to use General tab, she just can't "see" the Help and RP Tabs (or, by extension, Faction or Wing, I would assume). I am not sure what would need to be fixed or how, but Dianna is used to answering developer questions about this sort of thing.

Plotting courses? The game knows what is "in range", and there is a pop-up menu that you click on--these are things that have been solved for accessible apps for some years now.

Players would have to learn routes, but that is a matter of community support. Exposing the coordinates of Skylands would be helpful.

Trading? Again, very simple. /commands could even do that. /buy 128 food. /sell 128 grog Perhaps even /commands for the flying: /skylands could show what is in range, and /fly (name) /flysafe name /flyrisk name.

Combat, again, is a whole different problem. However, it is the only part of the game that is a serious challenge to make an accessible UI for. The rest? If Blind people can use Second Life (and they do), then I think Skyrates is very possible, and it would bring in more players.

Thoughts, please.