Server Costs Jun

Ends in 12 days 0%
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Interactive features
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:22 am 
Moostro

Faction: Flight School
I'm experimenting with some new interactive functionality.
Currently, the map has the ability to hide or show the skyland name based upon the flight license. I'm not sure the implementation is ideal at this point, but it's a starter. I've been thinking that perhaps the skyland and name should both disappear.

One of the neater ideas I've been thinking about:
* A couple selectable boxes in the lower right for Planes and Upgrades. You could then click one and it would highlight the locations available. To fit nicely it'd probably need to be separated into subgroups or have the entire key change up to show options.

* Integrated route calculator using the pathfinder. Being able to 'select' skylands in an order and have a route calculated and displayed. This is very involved but awfully neat sounding. If I can get to this, it will probably take a while.

Any ideas? Simpler items using basic database type entries are much easier to implement than you might think, while adding new information or remembering user requests takes more.

Post subject: Re: Interactive features
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 am 
Helpful

Faction: Azure League

nehp wrote:
* A couple selectable boxes in the lower right for Planes and Upgrades. You could then click one and it would highlight the locations available. To fit nicely it'd probably need to be separated into subgroups or have the entire key change up to show options.

Hmm. How about a nice roulette-style grid?

Mousing over each plane should show its name, and clicking it should show its locations. Click the tier number to show all planes in that tier.

nehp wrote:
Any ideas? Simpler items using basic database type entries are much easier to implement than you might think, while adding new information or remembering user requests takes more.

I still want an option to see each skyland's, say, three nearest neighbors.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:36 pm 
Moostro

Eskay wrote:
nehp wrote:

Hmm. How about a nice roulette-style grid?

Mousing over each plane should show its name, and clicking it should show its locations. Click the tier number to show all planes in that tier.

See, here's an example of something that takes more effort than you think. SVG doesn't have tooltips innately, I actually have to create the element and script to provide a tooltip. And integrating pre-designed libraries is not entirely straightforward, heh. Admittedly, this is an interesting learning process so I'll look into it, but there's a lot of HTMLey stuff I just don't have. (Embedding SVG in an HTML page was a serious compatibility issue between browsers, but I should check updated browser versions, a mixed page would be SO much easier to work with.)

Eskay wrote:
nehp wrote:

I still want an option to see each skyland's, say, three nearest neighbors.

This part we should be able to do once I hook up with your list. =)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:30 pm 
Moostro

Added a neighbor/hood link display based upon Eskay's work. This is the three closest neighbors, displayed as lines optionally. It shows the entire map of neighbors, although with more work I could probably enhance it to support clicking on a skyland to turn just it's on/off.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:46 am 
Tally Teller

Faction: Azure League

nehp wrote:
(Embedding SVG in an HTML page was a serious compatibility issue between browsers, but I should check updated browser versions, a mixed page would be SO much easier to work with.)

You might want to take a look at Raphaƫl, if you haven't already.