Register / Log in

Server Costs Aug

Ends in 10 days 0%
It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: June 2014 Wiki Cleanup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:49 am 

Faction: Crimson Armada

I am posting this here because otherwise I will be explaining forever in Chat and on the Wiki :razz:

I am working on cleaning up http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages Wikia automatically generates a list of "dead links" in every page in the Skybrary, and puts them there.

A few--a very few--of these are things we legitimately need. I am leaving those be for now: those belong there until we come up with something. In a few cases (Primus, Secundus, Tertius are good examples) I added redirects that may later become pages in their own right.

The vast majority of them are links to images that were auto-deleted because they lacked a Copyright tag. For legal reasons, the Skybrary (any Wikia wiki, really) can't have images without some sort of copyright status declaration. So you get a warning, and then after a while the image goes away. Given that the files were deleted years ago for the most part, I just removed references to those images.

Some of the stuff is links to player-created content. This is where some people may get a little upset with me, because I disabled those links. Allow me to explain why:

Let's say Joe the Boar (not an actual character) created the Skytopia Knife Company (not actually found in the Wiki) for his character. He wrote [[Skytopia Knife Company]] on his User page. Then Joe went inactive.

Now, http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages is going to show [[Skytopia Knife Company]] as a page that the Skybrarians need to create. Except: we don't, really. The story died when Joe left. Nobody else is using that link. So, I just went in and removed the [[ ]].

I also did this with some Wing pages where nobody ever actually created a page for the Wing.

The ONLY reason I am doing this is to clean up http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages It is IN NO WAY a condemnation of Player-Created Content. If Joe the Boar came back and said, "No, actually, I want to create a Skytopian Knife Company page", I would not mess with that at all. I am not getting rid of the words, only the [[ ]]s that make them into dead links. Nor am I listing existing PCC pages for deletion.

Now go forth and tell the story of Skytopia. I'm just cleaning up the excess stuff that landed on the floor. :dead:

Post subject: Re: June 2014 Wiki Cleanup
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:23 am 

What's left:

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages

We have some otherwise unused images that look like they were deleted, but weren't, and lack licenses. I'm a bit confused by those, and dangall I can do about them.

And we have two unwritten Template Docs for templates that nobody working on this seems to understand.

None of this is going to directly impact what the average user sees. So, I am calling it "close enough". The cleanup is over. Now we can start making NEW WantedPages!

Time to start working on stubs, cleaning up old navboxes, that sort of thing. Fun-fun.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:32 pm 
Developer

Talvin wrote:
We have some otherwise unused images that look like they were deleted, but weren't...
I believe I've taken care of those. Once the cache updates, those 4 should be gone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:51 am 

1 left.

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages

(The others are mostly there waiting for me to do some renames. Tonight.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:30 am 
Developer

Dah! Missed one!
Got it now.