Register / Log in

Server Costs Dec

Ends in 21 days 0%
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Count of who has a Character Bio in the Skybrary
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:51 pm 

Faction: Flight School
I've been hunting for a while for a directory which shows exactly who has a character biography on the Skybrary. Seeing as I could not find one, I decided to make it myself. It will be a separate page, Skyrates Directory (or Directory of Skyrates, which do you think is better?) that will be listed on the Index. That way, people who have created player bios will have their bios read, right?

By the way, I do not have a player bio of my own just yet, my story needs some kinks worked out.

So if you have written a player bio on the Skybrary, could you help me by posting a reply to this forum thread? Much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:04 pm 
Hack Journalist

Faction: Court of Violets

several of us have in character articles, including Ell, Fex, and sort of P NV Post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:21 pm 

I know that, I'm just asking who does so I can create a directory of those people. That's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:08 pm 
RP Guide

I've heard that player characters should all have user pages instead of articles.

My user page btw

It always seemed like a bad solution because user pages are hidden, you can't find them. On the other hand, I'm hesitant to say everyone should have a skybrary page. It seems like that those pages should be pretty important...of course I did write one about Linguini Fuseli

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:32 pm 

Quick question...

Is there a way for there to be, instead of reading "User:Luckie Tammatini" (for example) it could just read the person's name and then have that link redirected to the page titled "User:Luckie Tammatini"?

Another quick question: What year are we in currently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:59 pm 

http://skyrates.wikia.com/index.php?title=Special%3AAllpages&from=&namespace=2

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:47 pm 

nehp has been working on the user page template and categorization, such that there is now a category to find all user and NPC bios:

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Citizens

I'm not sure a "Bio Index Page" is a very good idea, as it would have to be maintained manually.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:07 pm 
Moostro

Major Science wrote:
nehp has been working on the user page template and categorization, such that there is now a category to find all user and NPC bios:

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Citizens

I'm not sure a "Bio Index Page" is a very good idea, as it would have to be maintained manually.

Yeah, this is where I'm trying to collect people. By default it's a modification to the Charbox template that automatically places someone in here. This collects people setting up bios for in-game characters (either theirs or non-players). I have had to produce a few manual tags to get some user pages in here, and I've tried to make sure that it's only people with character descriptions, not just a user entry. (blank/noncharacter notequal citizen)

Obviously, this needs some gradual work, and possibly some kind of improved method of listing, I've just started delving into the wikia templates and structure. (It'd sure be nice to have those 'User:' things gone.)

However the short and quick of it is: If you use the Charbox, either on your user page, OR on a character-specific wiki page, it'll start collecting automatically. This makes it much easier to enhance or expand as time progresses. I believe Talon/Kyra/? are working on some kind of improved RP-centric how-to and/or template for character information as well, which will probably be quite handy.

Post subject: Re: Count of who has a Character Bio in the Skybrary
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:10 pm 
Moostro

Luckie Tammatini wrote:
I've been hunting for a while for a directory which shows exactly who has a character biography on the Skybrary. Seeing as I could not find one, I decided to make it myself. It will be a separate page, Skyrates Directory (or Directory of Skyrates, which do you think is better?) that will be listed on the Index. That way, people who have created player bios will have their bios read, right?

Also, this is very much the eventual concept (better visibility/reading). I went with 'Citizens' for the moment, because I very much felt that it needs to contain all of the non-player listings as well, for story-space effect. One of the upcoming front page/index improvements is to improve structure visibility in order to show people what all is inside the skybrary that may not be too visible right now, including more of the History and Character information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:17 pm 

Why is it that I always propose ideas that already exist? :(

No matter. Nehp, would you like me to transfer what I've found to the Citizens category?

Oh and ftw I added my own bio page to the Skybrary. My apologies if it's a bit long :D

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Luckie_Tammatini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:26 pm 
Moostro

Luckie Tammatini wrote:
Why is it that I always propose ideas that already exist? :(

No matter. Nehp, would you like me to transfer what I've found to the Citizens category?

Oh and ftw I added my own bio page to the Skybrary. My apologies if it's a bit long :D

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Luckie_Tammatini

It is my experience that no two information ideas are ever quite the same, and the synergy of peoples concepts produce the best final result. So don't be sad, be happy! We can built it better than before! Ur, you know what I mean. ;)

I've been looking at your directory page. If you can, just leave what you've gathered, I'll go through them and look for common factors to see if there's anything to 'gather in' these pages without individual category additions.

The easiest way, right now, is to use the Charbox template, which is the current consistency model and will auto-categorize and allow us to improve this in the future.

=D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:35 pm 

Awesome. I'll look at that. I'm not as technically savvy as many of my peers but I'll do my best :D

edit: Wheee! Put in the template and now my page looks like a profile without that annoying "User:" thing!

nehp wrote:
It is my experience that no two information ideas are ever quite the same, and the synergy of peoples concepts produce the best final result. So don't be sad, be happy! We can built it better than before! Ur, you know what I mean.

Thanks Nehp for those words of wisdom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:59 pm 

Faction: Azure League

I think Firefox created and wrote most of my page, which was very flattering. I'm not sure if he used the right template or not, but I assume so. I don't remember if I created my user page or he did. It's probably not the right format, but since it's 8 words long, is probably easy to fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:06 pm 

Pierce N.V. Post wrote:
I think Firefox created and wrote most of my page, which was very flattering. I'm not sure if he used the right template or not, but I assume so. I don't remember if I created my user page or he did. It's probably not the right format, but since it's 8 words long, is probably easy to fix.

The right template is something called the Charbox template; a hyperlink is in the post just above my previous one. Just fill in the information in the little blank thingy, and write something short and clever where it says "Death" and "Deathlocation" because if you leave it blank it will do something like this:

Died {{{death}}}
{{{deathlocation}}}

And that just looks really weird.

And why the heck is your page only 8 words long? Unless its writer had Writers' Block.....to which I say I could probably help you come up with another story that's as epic as my own :wink: http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Luckie_Tammatini

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:49 pm 

Faction: Azure League

Brevity is the soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:56 pm 

uh.......What does brevity mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:08 pm 
True Friend

keep it short

'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:12 pm 

Actually, to chime in, I think one of the reasons that the Player-Character bio pages were created as User: pages were to separate them from the 'canon' pages; it also had the side effect of making them easy to find with the allpages => users option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:27 am 

Luckie Tammatini wrote:
Quick question...
Is there a way for there to be, instead of reading "User:Luckie Tammatini" (for example) it could just read the person's name and then have that link redirected to the page titled "User:Luckie Tammatini"?

Here's the way wiki-links work...

[[ RealPageName | DisplayText ]]

So...

[[User:Luckie Tammatini|Luckie Tammatini]]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:51 am 

Oh sweet! Thanks MrDolomite