Server Costs Aug

Ends in 15 days 0%
It is currently Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: State of the Skybrary
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:16 pm 
Head Skybrary Librarian

Faction: Flight School
Also posted to the front page of the Skybrary.

Over the course of many departures from and returns to the world of Skyrates, my view of the service this wiki should provide has changed several times. Initially it was meant to include both game information and player-created lore, but I have decided to work on refocusing the Skybrary more towards providing solid information on the game's mechanics and examining and elucidating the developer-created mythos and backstory. Nothing will be deleted unless it is inappropriate for the Skybrary, but edits may be made to eliminate inconsistencies with canon material and to make it clearer when something is non-canon and therefore purely speculative. I will be discussing this matter with the Skybrary's other editors in the near future, and hopefully we can all work towards making it a bigger and better info source for Skyrates both new and old.

If anyone has opinions on the matter, I'd love to hear them. If you have ideas as to how to make the Skybrary more appealing to both hardcore and casual players of this game, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:16 am 
RP Guide

What does this mean for my silly little articles like Raider Joe's,Tortuga University (Go Fighting Sailfish!),and Birthday?

One already has a "user-created content" tag on it.

Last edited by Prince Harris on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:18 am 
Head Skybrary Librarian

Harris,

As a matter of principle I cannot simply delete anything created by anyone else - there would have to be a valid reason for deletion that was agreed upon by multiple members of the staff. Besides, I am not trying to eliminate player-created content; I simply wish to delineate more clearly between what is canon, what is speculation, and what is "fanon." Essentially I want to make sure that a newcomer to the Skybrary doesn't become confused over what has been created (or endorsed) by the developers and what has been thought up by the community.

I would like to say, however, that I find your articles (and the creative content you have posted to this forum) to be incredibly creative and entertaining. I certainly don't want to discourage you from doing more (especially those composite pictures - those are wicked), and hope to see more cool stuff from you in the future.

If you're interested in becoming a Skybrary editor, and helping to clean it up while keeping the wonderful fan-created content like your own, let me know. I'd love to have you on the team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:30 am 
Developer

Prince Harris wrote:
What does this mean for my silly little articles like Raider Joe's,Tortuga University (Go Fighting Sailfish!),and Birthday?

They already have a "user-created content" tag on them.
The Tortuga University (Go Fighting Sailfish!) one is a personal favorite. :smile:
I suppose they could be tagged with the {{FlavorText}} template.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:54 am 
Developer

...on second thought, including the [[Category:User created content]] tag may be a less intrusive option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:44 pm 

Faction: Crimson Armada

Calvin wrote:
...on second thought, including the [[Category:User created content]] tag may be a less intrusive option.

Perhaps a short note here and there or a low-obtrusiveness box saying "the following information is of questionable canonicity", "the following information is flavour text/advice" or "the following information is 'fanon' material", with a quick note after that part is over ("and now back to your regular schedule") would be more useful, especially for articles which contain both, such as Steel Reinforced Hull and Unknown (X-36). The latter is a prime example in my view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:24 am 
Developer

Marcus Langley wrote:
...especially for articles which contain both, such as Steel Reinforced Hull and Unknown (X-36). The latter is a prime example in my view.
Hmmm... the X-36 article could probably benefit from a "How to Fight"/"Combat Tips" section a la http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Leviatha ... g_the_Levi .
But, I'd argue that such info doesn't need to include a "cannon/non-cannon" wrapper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:42 pm 
RP Guide

I went through and shuffled a bunch of pages (mostly mine) into the User Created Content category. This solution works well I believe for content originated and expanded by players, but I'm still not aware of a solution for pages with mixtures of canon and player made content. Islo is a prime example of this, where the non-canon content outweighs the canon content. Is there a decided upon plan for such pages? Maybe a line down each page. "Everything past here is non-canon"

I also added the "derivative work" category to my images which didn't have them, because well, they are all derivative.

Additionally, a number of images seem to be offline right now, at least for me. Is this temporary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:46 pm 
Helpful

Faction: Azure League

...I don't see the Skybrary at all right now. Edit: Back. What images are you having trouble with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:06 pm 
RP Guide

Yeah, the wholething seems to be going on an off for me now. I'm assuming it's some issue along the way, and not an issue with the skybrary itself. There were a number of images that didn't show for me, either as a broken image or as what it should be. They simply didn't load. The only one I can remember trying to re-load and such though was birthday.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:09 pm 
Helpful

Faction: Azure League

I confirm it's not there for me either, though I suspect it's a Wikia issue and probably one that doesn't kill the database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:22 am 
Developer

Silly me.
/em plugs the Skybrary back in.
Must have tripped over the extension cord again.

It appears that Wikia, the folks that actually host the Skybrary, routinely take down various servers for maintenance and backup routines with little or no warning. Fortunately for those in the US, this usually occurs in the middle of the nightish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:11 am 

I've seen on a few pages a little italicized heading:

The information below is for flavor and RP purposes only.

Simple, unobtrusive, and it delineates Dev canon/solid mechanics from backtory/UCC.