Register / Log in

Server Costs Jun

Ends in 25 days 0%
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Pronouncing skylands
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:41 pm 

Faction: Flight School
I was in a discussion with Moppsikon the other day, and we had some disagreements on how to prnounce some of the skylands.

For one thing, he says, "SKY-LANDS", as if it's not obvious enough what word he means from the context. This isn't Disneyland or Spiderman, where you need to emphasize the last syllable: it's "SKY-lunds", as in the English "uplands" and "midlands".

But that was just the beginning of the conversation. We eventually realized that I like to keep old pronunications unless there's a logical reason for a change, whereas he likes whatever people are saying this week.

The official names of Alpha 1-5 are "A-1", "A-2", etc. The use of "Alpha" started for clarity on the audio radio. It made sense to begin spelling them that way. But now we have type-radio, and since the official names never changed, it makes sense to return to the spelling format "A-1", and the obvious accompanying pronunciation.

This was all Ok and no big deal. But then Mopp tries to congratulate me for governing "KAH-dahth". When I give him a funny look, he says, "or kuh-DAHTH, whatever." He's obviously not from around here, where virtually everyone uses the 300-year-old English-sounding "KAY-duth". We don't hold truck with people trying to Latinify or French-fry our slyland with their "ah" sound. KAY-duth.

He was Ok with this, although he's a bit of a rebel-just-because type, and might not be consistent with his pronunciation. His prerogative, but he won't get much service around Kadath.

But after this point, our talk became heated, because he has great respect for the Red and Blue factions, and has spent a lot fo time around Fuseli in particular. So when I tried to tell him to say "FYOO-suh-leye", on analogy to "fuselage", he outright laughed in my face. Knowingly it was a lost cause, I offered up "FYOO-suh-lee", but he didn't bite: "No, it will always be 'fyoo-sell-ee'." I told him I'd remind the Reds that they're not a pasta, and we'd see.

Islo? Uh oh. He says "EYE-loh" on analogy to "islet". I say "now who's offering ananlogies as reason for pronunciation? What about the 100 years of "IZ-loh"? The etymology is actually an ancient war acronym ISLO, meaning Inter-Sky Land Operations, so that doesn't help. We agreed to let the Blues decide.

Isla di Pisa. When they bother with the full name, some people imitate the Italian, and say "EES-lah dee PEE-zuh". Others go with "EYE-L di PEE-zuh." So no one bothers with the full name, cutting it to "Pisa".

Eltsina derives from Tolkien fan fiction, an lady Elvish ambassador who negotiated trade agreements with the dwarves and humans. So it would be "ELT-see-nah". But we shifted to second-syllable stress long ago, so I accept "el-TSEE-nah". But we Greens shorten it to "Tsina", not "Sina". You know someone's from out of town but trying to be hip if you hear it called "Elts", which is like calling San Francisco "Frisco". Yeah, Otis Redding called it the "Frisco Bay", but you are not him, and this ain't 1974 A.D. (AnteDiluvian).

Speaking of Elvish, Tehras also gets its name from Elvish (though Quenya, not Sindarin this time.) It is thus "TECH-rahs", with the "ch" indicating the guttural, throat-clearing sound in Bach and Channukah. Surprisingly, I still hear many people use this classic pronunciation, though without much emphasis on the aspiration. So it ends up sort of like "TEH-hras", which is well-liked.

Romeo and Juliet of course come from the preserved texts of Shakspere (though some scholars claim superior authority in the texts that spell his name other ways), right? Actually not so, but we all think so and have for so many years that no one should use the old pronunications any more: "ROHM-oh" and "JOO-lee-TEE".

Romeo is so named because it was smallest and is the last of an archipelago of 15 islets hovering over antediluvian Rome. They were named "Rome-A", "Rome-B", etc., down to "Rome-O". And thus it was pronounced. (Romeo has since shifted, but some say that 13 or the remaining 14 still exist as the islets in what we call the "Core" and "Circle" quadrants. The last is a mystery. Some say it sank into the sea, and the dive for it. I hear Fex searches for it in the black.

Similarly, Juliet was once "Julie-T". This archipelago got its name from the only daughter of the original governor of those islands. She was lost while riding along on a standard steel route from Alpha 2, and the governor never forgave himself. He quit politics and all social life, moved to Uurwerk, and became a mechanic, refusing all managerial positions and pay raises.

Uurwerk has two "u's" for a reason: you pronounce both, like so, "OO-ur-wurk". It derives from the German Uber-werk, meaning more or less "craftsmanship over all others."

Grottopolis is not a compund word, "grotto" "polis". Since the recent days of its founding, it has been pronounced like "metropolis" and "Anapolis" (the capital of Maryland before it was destroyed with the rest of the earth in the Flood), emphasizing the second syllable. grah-TAH-puh-lis. Mopp didn't seem to care about this. Maybe because his Hades hasn't half the range to get there.

Interestingly, Tinkspoit comes from "Tink's port", and therefore used to be prunounced that way. But due to the strange northern accent which palatalizes the "r" consonant, this was heard as "Tink's poit", and is now pronounced with the break after "Tink". It sounds very similar, but everyone says "Tink-spoit", which is acceptable now.

Lhasa for some reason has not been fully Anglicized, and so gets several reasonable pronunciations. In such a situation, I prefer to either fully imitate the original language or fully Anglicize, which would mean either "LHAH-sah" or "LAH-suh" (the former has an aspirated L, breathe out a bit while forming the "LAH"). Anywya, they are close enough that no one will stare at you either way.

For those interested in word origins, Phillipia and Olio both have a tale. Phillipia hovers over the the antediluvian land of Phillipi, but has never followed the pronunciation of that land that sound like "FILL a pie", which would make it the unwieldy "FILL-uh-pie-uh". No, no, it's "fuh-LIP-ee-uh", just as you've alwqays said.

Olio comes from the English word, nothing complicated there. It always has plenty of almost all the goods, and people of all types come to get what they want there. Mixtures of goods and peoples, "OH-lee-oh".

New Hovlund used to be like "New Holland", as the "v" harks to a time when "u's" were written this way. But the spelling stuck, and the pronunciation followed, so we now have "NOO HAHV-lund". But among mariners and roustabouts, the type that still follow the Pirate Code, you'll still get an earful of "ay, and how d'y'expect tuh see the Southwest without ye pass through New Holland?"

Cidade. I say "see-DAHD". What do you say?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:12 pm 
Flight Master

Eltsina is actually Russian.

Post subject: Re: Pronouncing skylands
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:46 pm 
Senator

Faction: Crimson Armada

INTJosh wrote:
For one thing, he says, "SKY-LANDS", as if it's not obvious enough what word he means from the context. This isn't Disneyland or Spiderman, where you need to emphasize the last syllable: it's "SKY-lunds", as in the English "uplands" and "midlands".

Same, I say "Skylands" as in "uplands and "midlands."

Quote:
This was all Ok and no big deal. But then Mopp tries to congratulate me for governing "KAH-dahth". When I give him a funny look, he says, "or kuh-DAHTH, whatever." He's obviously not from around here, where virtually everyone uses the 300-year-old English-sounding "KAY-duth". We don't hold truck with people trying to Latinify or French-fry our slyland with their "ah" sound. KAY-duth.

I don't see any reason to make the first "A" a long "A" sound. "ka-DATH" seems to work fine for me.

Quote:
So when I tried to tell him to say "FYOO-suh-leye", on analogy to "fuselage", he outright laughed in my face. Knowingly it was a lost cause, I offered up "FYOO-suh-lee", but he didn't bite: "No, it will always be 'fyoo-sell-ee'." I told him I'd remind the Reds that they're not a pasta, and we'd see.

"FOO-sell-ee" is how I pronouce it.

Quote:
Islo? Uh oh. He says "EYE-loh" on analogy to "islet". I say "now who's offering ananlogies as reason for pronunciation? What about the 100 years of "IZ-loh"?

Guilty as charged! I'm an "IZ-loh" kind guy.

Quote:
Isla di Pisa. When they bother with the full name, some people imitate the Italian, and say "EES-lah dee PEE-zuh". Others go with "EYE-L di PEE-zuh." So no one bothers with the full name, cutting it to "Pisa".

When I say it the long way, I say it incorrectly ("di," not "dee"), but actually most of the time I just call it Isla ("EES-lah").

Quote:
So it would be "ELT-see-nah". But we shifted to second-syllable stress long ago, so I accept "el-TSEE-nah".

I'm of the first variety. "ELT-see-nah" and I never shorten it.

Quote:
So it ends up sort of like "TEH-hras", which is well-liked.

yup, yup..

Quote:
Actually not so, but we all think so and have for so many years that no one should use the old pronunications any more: "ROHM-oh" and "JOO-lee-TEE".

Now you've gone and walked off the SkyPlank! :) I'm stickin to the traditional "Rome-EE-oh" and "Jewl-EE-eht."

Quote:
Uurwerk has two "u's" for a reason: you pronounce both, like so, "OO-ur-wurk". It derives from the German Uber-werk, meaning more or less "craftsmanship over all others."

lol, I Just say UUUUUUUuuuurrrrr for a bit before I say it.. but I like OO-ur-wurk.

I pretty much agree with you on the pronunciation for all the others... Grotto, Tinkspoit, Lhasa, Phillipia and Olio.

Quote:
Cidade. I say "see-DAHD". What do you say?

same, just add an extra "eh" on the end... "see-DAHD-aye"

W00t, that was fun! :)

Thorne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:04 pm 

Faction: Azure League

first of all I would like to clarify: Cidade is actually the portuguese word for city, and is pronounced sih-DAH-gee. More correctly, the "de" at the end has a king of dge feel as it rolls off the tounge. Some may prefer dji than dge (feels the same as saying djinn properly). This is one I will stand utterly firm on and correct everyone's pronunciation (you see half of my blood is of brasilian decent).

Islo: I say islo using the Latin pronunciation; EE-lo (and not the english version of latin words which would be EYE-lo)

Kadath: I usually pronounce thione somewhat oddly, but it makes sense to me; kuh-DAAth (altough I have also heard it pronounced kah-duth)

Grottopolis: I agree more with the compound version myself (grotto+polis)

Lhasa: lhasa is actually Tibetan, I believe (if I remeber correctly it is the Dali Lama's place of residence). If we take the Tibetan version it means "place of the gods".

phillipia: Personally I prefer phil-ih-pee-ahh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:20 pm 

I deem this thread bump-worthy and add my own two gold pieces worth:

Uurwerk - I pronounce oor-werk
Tortuga - I pronounce Tor-tyoo-ga
Aleut - I pronounce Al-yoot
Eltsina - I pronounce Elt-See-Na
Steppe - I pronounce Step
Cidade - I pronounce See-dad
Fuseli - I pronounce Fuse-li (rhymes with muesli)
Tehras - I pronounce Terrace
Islo - I pronounce Iz-Lo
Lhasa - I pronounce Lar-sa
and the grand daddy of them all
Isla di Pisa - I say isle-ar dee pee-sa.

Anyone else want to add?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:18 pm 

Chuckler wrote:
Anyone else want to add?

Eh, why not?

Aleut - AH-lee-yoot (three distinct syllables, although the last 2 somewhat flow together.)
Cidade - si-DAHD
Eltsina - elt-SEE-nah
Fuseli - foo-SELL-ee
Grottopolis - gra-TAH-pu-lis
Isla di Pisa - EE-la di PEE-za
Islo - IZ-low
Kadath - kuh-DAHTH (first syllable is sort of in between 'kuh' and 'kah')
Olio - OH-lee-oh (yah know, like margarine.)
Phillipia - fill-LIP-ee-uh
Romeo - row-MAY-oh (oddly, it didn't seem right to me pronouncing it like the name... I'm weird that way)
Sharif - shah-REEF
Shriebeck - SHREE-beck (yay holdovers from German class)
Steppe - step
Tehras - TEH-rahs (say "tear", but without the last "r", then add the "ras"
Tortuga - tore-TOO-guh (like Pirates of the Caribbean. And I was pronouncing the word that way before the movie.)
Uurwerk - ÃœR-work (again, yay German, but the "w" is Anglicized.)

Most of this I'm sure is a combination of holdovers from German class and my naturally heavy Yankee accent. Still, that's how they are to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:37 pm 

I would like to correct you, in that Uurwerk is not German. It's Dutch for "watch," more specifically a pocket watch. This discovery was made sometime ago.

I pronounce it: "Err-werk," but I may wrong. I don't know how the Dutch pronounce their words.

So, how I, personally, pronounce the skylands (SKY-LANDS... like, "islands," but with an "sk)

As I pronounce them:

Aleut-- ALLEY-YEWT

Alpha 1-- AL-FUH ONE

Alpha 2-- AL-FUH TWO

Alpha 3-- AL-FUH THREE

Alpha 4-- AL-FUH FOUR

Alpha 5-- AL-FUH FIVE

Arcadia-- AR-CADE-EE-UH

Cidade-- SID-DAYED

Earthbreach-- ERTH-BREECH

Echo-- EKKO

Eltsina-- ELT-SEE-NUH

Fuseli-- FEW-SEE-LEE

Getty-- GET-TEA

Goldenrod-- GOLDEN-ROD

Gonk-- GONK (rhymes with "bonk." Like, "I bonked him on the head." or "I honked my horn." or "I honked my horn by bonking his head on Gonk.")

Grottopolis-- GRUH-TOP-OH-LISS

Isla Di Pisa-- EASE-LUH-DAY-PEAS-SUH (though, I say "day" as in the Spanish "de," despite the fact that I believe it should be properly pronounced "dee." But everytime I see it, I read "day" instead of "dee.")

Islo-- IS-LOW

Jordan-- JOR-DUN

Juliet-- JEW-LEE-ETT

Kadath-- KAY-DUTH

Leng-- LANG (rhymes with "slang" or "sang" or "bang")

Lhasa-- LAW-SUH

Luz-- LUZ (rhymes with "buzz")

Midgard-- MID-GARD ("middle guard")

New Hovland-- NEW HOV-LUND (A lot like "New Holland")

Olio-- OH-LEE-OH

Phillipia-- FILL-LIP-PEE-UH

Romeo-- ROW-ME-OH

Sharif-- SHARE-IF

Shriebeck-- SHRY-BECK

Steppe-- STEP

Tehras-- TARE-ISS (rhymes with "ferris" in "Ferris Wheel"

Tinkspoit-- TINK-SPOYT

Tortuga-- TORE-TOO-GUH

Uurwerk-- ERR-WORK

Valvia-- VAL-VEE-UH

Volstoy-- VOLE-STOY

These are how I, myself, pronounce the names. It's like "tomato-tomato," ("TUH-MAY-TOE"-"TUH-MOTTO") we'll each pronounce them however we wish. But since it's all in text, does it really matter?

Last edited by Mad Hatter on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:43 pm 

Mad Hatter wrote:
I would like to correct you, in that Uurwerk is not German. It's Dutch for "watch," more specifically a pocket watch. This discovery was made sometime ago.

Fair enough. I was more referring to my pronunciation as German rather than the word itself. Still, good to know I'm probably on the right track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:22 pm 

Aleut-- al-(i)YEWT

Cidade-- see-DAHD

Eltsina-- ELT-see-nuh

Fuseli-- few-SEH-lee

Grottopolis-- gruh-TOP-oh-liss

Isla Di Pisa-- EES-lah di-PEE-suh

Islo-- IZ-low

Kadath-- kah-DAHTH

Luz-- LOOS

New Hovland-- new HOV-luhnd

Olio-- OH-lee-oh

Phillipia-- fill-LIP-ee-uh

Sharif-- shah-REEF

Shriebeck-- SHREE-bek

Tehras-- TEH-russ

Tortuga-- tor-TOO-guh

Uurwerk-- OOR-work

Valvia-- VAL-vee-uh

Volstoy-- VOLE-stoy

Post subject: Re: Pronouncing skylands
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:05 am 
Dev Eyepatch

INTJosh wrote:

Actually, you couldn't be more wrong. Uurwerk is the dutch word for clockwork. The double U at the beginning has no equivalent sound in the english language so I'll 'forgive' you for using 'oo' instead, but the e in werk is pronounced like the e in stress. The emphasis is on the first syllable 'uur'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:19 am 

Being part Filipino, I usually pronounce words the way they look like they should be pronounced.

Aleut: ah-LOOT (Apparently, no one's with me on this pronunciation by far... :sad: )
Arcadia: ar-CAY-dee-uh
Earthbreach: URTH-breech
Echo: EH-koh
Eltsina: elt-SEE-nah
Fuseli: foo-SEH-lee
Getty: GEH-tee
Grottopolis: groh-TAH-pa-lis
Isla di Pisa: EES-lah dee PEE-sah
Islo: IHS-loh
Juliet: JOOH-lee-eht
Kadath: KAH-dath
Luz: LOOZ
Lhasa: LAH-sah
New Hovlund: new HOV-loond
Noptis: NOP-tis
Olio: OH-lee-oh
Phillipia: phi-LIH-pee-uh
Romeo: ROH-mee-oh
Sharif: shah-RIF
Shriebeck: SHREE-bek
Steppe: steh-peh
Tehras: teh-RAHS
Tinkspoit: TINK-spoyt
Tortuga: tohr-TOOH-gah
Uurwerk: OOR-wurk or OOH-oor-wurk
Valvia: VAL-vee-uh
Volstoy: VOHL-stohy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:27 am 
Developer

Once a consensus is reached (perhaps pending Dev input), please update the appropriate page from http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Skylands .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:39 am 

Quote:

I've heard it pronounced "oohr-wehrk". I still pronounce it "Er-werk," just out of habit, though I occasionally pronounce it differently.

I'll just grab Sharky's list here and change what I disagree with.

Aleut: ah-LOOT (I'm with you, Sharky! :))
Arcadia: ar-CAY-dee-uh
Earthbreach: URTH-breech
Echo: EH-koh
Eltsina: elt-SEE-nah
Fuseli: fyoo-SEH-lee
Getty: GEH-tee
Grottopolis: grah-TAH-pa-lis
Isla di Pisa: EES-lah dih PEE-sah
Islo: IHS-loh
Juliet: JOOH-lee-eht
Kadath: KAH-dath
Luz: LOOZ (or occasionally Lulz. The second L is silent.)
Lhasa: LAH-sah
New Hovlund: new HOV-lund
Noptis: NOP-tis
Olio: O-lee-oh
Phillipia: phi-LIH-pee-uh
Romeo: ROH-mee-oh
Sharif: shah-REEF
Shriebeck: SHREE-bek
Steppe: step
Tehras: teh-RAHS
Tinkspoit: TINK-spoyt
Tortuga: tohr-TOOH-gah