Register / Log in

Server Costs Sep

Ends in 12 days 0%
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rethinking some aspects of the Skybrary
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:19 am 

Faction: Crimson Armada

The Plane Summary is as up to date as Anna and I could get it, but it is still out of date (especially with some of the work that Amira is doing.)

Now here's a problem:

Every single plane has to be updated at least three times whenever a change is made in the stats:
1) The Plane Summary
2) The Plane-Specific Page
3) The Tier Page

Also, the plane list template is out of date because planes have been shifted around, and planes no longer neatly fit in Combat/Trade/Perf, usually belonging to more than one.

Anna put a lot of work into getting the Plane Summary updated, and she has had quite enough of that--nor can I blame her. We are all volunteers, here.

I see two possibilities:

A) Ideally, we could have a single list of stats, and other pages that want to show those stats would pull from that list. I am told this could be done, but it would be complicated to set up. I don't have a clue how that would be done.

B) In a more practical vein, I propose that we keep the plane stats on the plane summary page, as that is where people will go to compare them. Individual plane pages can be used for pictures, backstory, etc.: things that don't really change from round to round.

Keeping the Skybrary up to date is a very big job, and we only have a very limited number of volunteers. Right now, the people actively editing are Calvin, Anna Ferret, and myself, plus an anonymous user who has added a little bit to the Narbot entry. http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WikiActivity

We need more hands, but I think we also need to scale back our expectations of the Skybrary to something that the community can maintain without overreaching.

Please give feedback: can someone implement Option A? Can anyone put forth any arguments against Option B if A is not going to work?

Post subject: Re: Rethinking some aspects of the Skybrary
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:23 am 

This is the out-of-date plane list I spoke of:

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Plane_navbox

Trying to think of a better way to present that info.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:00 pm 
Developer

I'd love to be able to A, but B is a fine alternative.

Let's strip the stats from the individual plane pages and be sure to include a link to the plane summary table.

FWIW, I find http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Plane_navbox to be pretty helpful though it does need some work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:25 pm 

Right now, Anna and I are focusing on getting the Red out.

No, we aren't plotting Treason against our Faction. :smile: :red:

We are going through the links at the bottom of the client page (FAQ, Manual, Roleplaying Guide) and dealing with the "dead links" therein. A few are spelling errors (Misson rather than Mission) or can be redirected to existing pages. Some need to be written from scratch.

Since the Tutorial is broken, this is new player's best resource, and having dead links in there is not good.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:19 am 
Developer

Talvin wrote:
Since the Tutorial is broken, this is new player's best resource, and having dead links in there is not good.
See also http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Manual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:34 am 

I'm not going in there alone....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:06 am 
Explorer

Faction: Azure League

I figured I'd gander at the redlink list as a side note, and most of it seems to be player fiction stuff. As for the other aforementioneds, I can poke around in there myself. Frankly my own page is sorely lacking. Should probably work on it as well.

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:09 am 

Anna is going to do the Council page today. That's the last of the red list from the stuff linked at the bottom.

The Manual is missing some important stuff, and it shows planes having star ratings. I'd say that's the next most important task.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:14 am 
Explorer

Faction: Azure League

Oh boy... Stars is like... Blueprint days. Might have a look at that then.

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:12 am 
Developer

Naes Draw wrote:
I figured I'd gander at the redlink list as a side note, and most of it seems to be player fiction stuff.
For player fiction, let's just remove the redlinks (if they really don't exist).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:17 am 

Been working on that.

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages is a cached page. I cleared out some, added redirects for others.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:05 am 

There. Due to the caching issue, 2 that I dealt with this morning still show. We should be down to 23 items, some of which we may actually want to create.

I will ask Anna if she wants to do Mentors/Apprentices (we'll use a redirect for one of those). The rest...um. Anyone?

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages

Busy Busy Fox.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:11 am 
Smashing Pumpkins

Faction: Independent

Talvin wrote:
Mentors/Apprentices

Did we ever get those working?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:45 am 

Working in what way?

It is possible to mentor someone or be an apprentice. I assume the bonuses are working.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:59 am 
Developer

Talvin wrote:
I assume the bonuses are working.
Nope. Bonuses are just flavortext at this point.
They were never fully implemented.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:24 am 

Anna added, Calvin edited, I screenshotted.

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Mentors

Coming back to http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Special:WantedPages

I was absent for the entire Blackout Event, and Calvin is probably too busy. Who was present for that event who would like to write up a page for it? If Wikifying is an issue, I or perhaps Anna could assist: we just need somebody to write an article about it.

The Trifactional Treaty...I spent too much time ignoring it to be considered an authority on the matter. :remywicked: It is of historical interest, so I kept the link.

I will likely write Corner Velocity, as that is the only name I know of right off for the "sweet spot" on the speed bar.

Improved Swivel Mount? Extended Barrel? Any takers?

The Template: and Help: stuff I am leaving be for now, but I may edit out the links if nobody has interest in messing with them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:35 pm 

Taking this thread back to its roots: I did this: http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Template:CR-4Pbox as a start on a hacked-together version of "A". It would be added to the plane page, to the tier page, to the plane summary page, and anywhere else it needed adding--and it would only need updating once. Perfect, no, but let us not permit the better to be the enemy of the good.

Except...the better IS my enemy. I spent two days on and off bashing at that thing. Today, Wikia sends me THIS:

http://community.wikia.com/wiki/User_bl ... _infoboxes

*whines*

I'll look at it more later.

For now, does the concept at least serve? I realize we'd need to add the images to each plane page, but that should be a do-once thing.