Register / Log in

Server Costs Jun

Ends in 24 days 0%
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Velvet Rope, Glass Dome
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:41 am 

Faction: Flight School
I'll start off with Props (mad ones, even!) to Skip, because you can't mess with the master.

Some of you know me. I own a Lancaster. I've had a Starter, sure, and I've had a Seahawk. I made most of my money trading, in a Spectre. I'm not ashamed to admit that most of my money comes from trade, despite my reputation for ferocity in combat. Some mock or even deride me for taking the leisurely route to success, for trying out several planes on my way to the top. But I'm glad I did, because if I hadn't, I never would have purchased the ship that became known in Society, both high and low, as the Partycaster.

Some said I was stupid, or insane. But the luxury and black market trades were flagging following the Great Upheaval. Parties had fallen out of fashion since the previous pleasure cruiser par excellence, the Barracuda, had indelicately tossed the Prime Minister into the lap of the wife of the Secretary of Defense when its pilot had engaged the second turbo (some say this was the real upheaval). No longer had anyone the money to hold those grand galas of yore, the desire to attend, or the élan to pull the whole thing off. Until I came onto the scene.

My Spectre came skidding to a stop in front of the hangar on Jordan's runway, fuel needle dancing on E. I hadn't bothered to lower the landing gear, nor would I be fixing the bulletholes in my armor. I didn't care if my resale value tanked; I was a man on a mission. I had had a dream the night before, and in that dream a walrus came to me. He called himself "phil" and said that he had been the pilot of that fateful 2x turboed 'Cuda. And he told me that there was a ship for sale, a magical ship called "The Lancaster" which could bring joy back to those souls, both rich and adventurous, who were forging this new world in the sky. And I had visions, visions of parties of a magnitude that staggered my mind and fired my clever monkey's imagination. And I knew what had to be done.

I bought a tux and a few suits to replace my bomber jacket, torn khakis, and red kicks. I got my wild afro slicked back into a neat ponytail. And I took some levels in smuggling and creative storage for... well, party supplies. And I hired a crew of three. No mechanics, no gunners; I hired the best darn chef, maître d', and bouncer in the entire SW. I stocked up, and prepared for my first soirée.

Last edited by N@ on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:02 am 
Developer

any similarities between characters and real-life persons are purely coincidental._._. or are they?

Good stuff! (make sure you tell them about the one when the half-dozen judges from shriebeck met the all-female band of pirates from earthbreach. What was their name again.?)

-PL-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:52 am 
Developer

hahahahaha

awesome! :woodman:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:48 pm 

Every time I closed my eyes, there was the yellow and black silhouette of the COMBAT notification on my plane's HUD, burned into my retinas. It'd been a long night. I struggled to keep my eyes open despite the soft, insistant pull urging me back to sleep. I couldn't remember the circumstances of the night before, but I tried. Slowly it came back to me; memories floating to the surface buoyed by the faint, hypnotic thrum of my Lancaster's six powerful props as heard through my hull's soundproofing.

It had been New Year's Eve, and the Partycaster was in full swing. I had picked up something like twenty governors of various skylands, several dignitaries, the richest traders, and quite a few mercenaries from my own Red Faction. But for the evening, petty alliances, biases, rivalries, and interspecies boundaries would be forgot and never brought to light. Once aboard my plane, everyone flew under one banner. That motto was emblazoned onto each of the twelve heavy gun emplacements I had installed: PARTY TIL THE WORLD OBEYS. It was a rallying cry for all friends and kindred spirits everywhere, and a warning to any who would dare defy. Already, dozens of the 'greatest' gunships to emerge from the Great Upheaval littered the ocean bottom; split, cracked, and rent by my explosive rounds. But again, it was the night for all such things to be forgotten.

In the midst of remembering things to be forgot, I was interrupted by the crackle of radio static. I put on the headset in time to hear: "...s is the USS... Idontfreakingknow. I'm trapped on half a yacht and we're taking on water. A little help, please?!" Half a yacht?

I grabbed the mic boom and responded. "This is the ME 262, Prince of Turbojet. Captain N@ of Red Faction speaking. Hold tight. We are enroute. Can you give us your present location?"

There was a pause, and then with quietly controlled rage came the reply: "I'm in. the middle. of the ocean."

I admit I wasn't yet awake enough to be firing on all cylinders when I asked: "Are there any distinguishing landmarks?"

"I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF THE YIFFING OCEAN, YOU JACKANAPE!" Not so controlled now.

"OK, okay. Not so loud, I gotta headache." I stood in the glass dome of my Lanc, rubbing my temple and squinting into the midmorning sun. There was a slightly brighter glare against that of the shimmering ocean below. "Alright, I see you. I'll be down momentarily." Already starting to feel myself, I added: "Don't go anywhere." Ever the mischievious monkey. I mean, I've got a reputation to uphold.

"WH—!" I cut the transmission before she could worsen my head's condition. I hung the headset up on the console, grabbed the stick, and disengaged the autopilot. The plane spiralled down like a gently falling autumn leaf. I extended the hydrafoil landing gear and reversed the thrust hard, skimming to a stop alongside half of what had been a very handsome yacht. And when I saw her clinging to the lopsided deck, it all came rushing back to me...

Post subject: Re: Velvet Rope, Glass Dome
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 5:06 am 

New Year's. What madness had possessed me to throw my first gala on that weekend? Well, I'm pretty sure it was that dream about the walrus I mentioned in the first episode, so that's a trick question. I wanted to make sure you're paying attention! If you haven't read the story so far, go back and catch up. I'll wait.

We cool? Good.

Any proper New Year's Eve gala should start well in advance, on New Year's Eve Eve. I mean, it's practically right there in the name, right? Daring the diligent host to push the envelope. And push envelopes I did, as invitations were sent far and wide across the skylands, to the famous and infamous alike. Planes streamed to the various skylands where their invitations directed them, to be picked up along the way by the party already in session.

Me? Though the party was underway, I was all business. And by business, I mean this lovely little ladyfox who'd come on board as part of the staff. This vixen was fixing platters hors d'oeuvres below decks when she came to my attention. I regaled her with tales of high-flying skulduggery and gave her a bit of let-me-help-you-with-that. She smiled. She laughed. And what a laugh. Let's face it, I'm a monkey. It's what I live for. Once I started in on the jokes, I figured she would be done for.

I'll never know, because it was then that we landed on Fuseli to take on a number of my Red factionmates. I puffed out my chest, put on my important-monkey face, and gave her a wink before heading out to meet the delegation. Listen to me! Meet the delegation! Me! Seems like just yesterday I was in a tree, flinging my own poo. Oh well, the night was young.

Post subject: Re: Velvet Rope, Glass Dome
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:01 am 
Explorer

Faction: Azure League

Never got the legend of the Partycaster, cool stuff.

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.