Server Costs Dec

Ends in 29 days 0%
It is currently Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Returning
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 7:27 pm 
Guide

Faction: Earthen Order

Matriarch Clara walked the long platform back to her vessel. Acolyte Meridian walked beside her carrying the large sculpture of Arcadia. He quietly said, "An interesting people."

Clara smiled, "They are at that. One of the most complicated ones I have ever encountered."

Meridian laughed softly, "Did you watch their eyes throughout the exchange? I daresay they were trying to figure out if you were planning on blowing up their 'skyland'."

The Matriarch raised her shoulders in a small shrug, "A perfectly reasonable suspicion to have for newcomers. I imagine early Skytopia warred as we did, before arriving on its current shaky peacetime."

"Will our arrival complicate things?"

"Surely," Clara replied as they reached the loading gates to the vessel, "but I hope that it shall complicate for the better."

She turned, and her eyes looked out across Grottopolis and the teaming masses of Skytopians swarming its settled lands. Clara shook her head, somewhat sadly, "But I am not convinced that these factions care enough for the people whom they claim to serve. It is among those people that we may begin our work."

The two watched the skyland in silence until Meridian coughed and said, "What do you make of the gift?"

"The tree? Oh it could be any number of things. Tracker, bomb, decoy, or..." and here her eyes crinkled in amusement, "it could simply be a sculpture."

She waved her hand, "I shall not lose sleep on it. Store it in Vault 46."

The two turned and continued walking into the heart of the vessel. All around them people scurried about. Some carried supplies, other tools, still others were crouching around twisted bits of machinery and metal banging it into recognizable shapes.

Clara walked to one of the workers and said, "Cooper Yelon, isn't it? How goes your work?"

The worker removed his cap and quickly said, "Quite well Ms. Clara. Production has been proceeding steadily ever since we got into radio contact. We should be ready soon with enough crafts to seed Skytopia."

"Wonderful! You do Magnus' work, Cooper."

The worker grinned and replaced his cap, turning back to his work.

As Clara and Meridian continued walking their way through the floating colony of the Earthen Order, the Acolyte whispered to her, "And how many of those craft will be made for more than just simple seeding?"

Clara tilted her head slightly and said, "As Alcuin said, the people must protect themselves, being neither excessive in barbarity, nor foolish in pacifism. The Skytopians would do well to know that I may be gentle, but I am far from stupid."

As the two of them reached the Matriarch's chambered, Meridian nodded and asked, "And to the intruders?"

Clara paused and closed her eyes in thought. Opening them, she smiled once more and said, "I hope they found what they were looking for."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:33 pm 
Combat Guru

Faction: Azure League

Excerpt from secure Elite Azure Combat Corps memo:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are to be eyes on our new visitors at all times. Keep in mind that you are watching for anything going in or out. We know red is up to something but I don't trust these new people any farther that I can throw the lot of them.

You are to report everything that goes on, not just "suspicious" activities. I mean everything, if you see someone there sneeze, I want to know when, where, how hard and whether they used a hanky and if so what color.

Also, keep all radar stations within range on full active alert. Again, I want anything and everything that enters or leaves airspace detailed and reported.

There is some crazy <cencored> going down. And I am going to know what it is.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
End excerpt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:41 am 

Faction: Flight School
--- Secure Green Channels --- Incoming Message ---

Quote:
While the idea of a rebuilt kingdom warms me, the quasi-religious nature of the Order seems to me one that might rapidly become a threat to the sovereignty of our faction. I'm sure that they are perfectly happy to let their people live as they see fit, provided they do so on the Order's terms. The Matriarch admitted that her own vessel was sent out simply as a random search for others, and the sort of cult that inspires that sort of devotion, even amongst its clergy, leaves me cautious.

--- Message Discontinued ---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:15 pm 
RP Canoneer

Faction: Crimson Armada

IC:

Sitting at his desk Nero reviews his notes and checks his books. From what he has, there is little he can go on in figuring out who these people are. He sighs, knowing that the great library's in Islo would hold more information but his chances of being allowed to search it would be slim because of recent strains in the Blue/Red relationship.

Carefully, he takes out pen and paper and starts writing up his report.

To The Red Faction and all who are friend to The Red Faction,

After attending the meeting with the Earthen Order and reviewing the current available knowledge we have I cannot come up with any real reason not to trust them. It looks likes, with current information, that they are what they tell us and that there will be no harm in providing them their needs. If they are here for settlement, then we should be of assistance to them.

However, the fact they came to us peacefully, and openly, does not mean we need to let our guard down. We need to be just as vigilant as before. There are several scenarios that we could see unfold very quickly if we do not keep an eye on the recent events.

First, though they did not openly say this or anything that would clearly tell me this is truth, they may be running for their lives. This could be from disaster. It is possible that their skylands have been destroyed. It is also possible that there is a threat right behind them, searching for them. This could be in the form of pirates or worse. From what i gleaned from the comments, they are not unfamiliar with combat. If I read Clara right, they are ready for an assault on their people.

I have no reason to believe that The Earthen Order is violent. Nor do I have any evidence that points towards they will use conquest to spread the doctrine they bring with them. However, that does not mean that this is not a possibility. This would be done restocking supplies, gaining access to the central skylands, and then executing a quick and massive assault. With the size of their sky barge being a considerable size, it would not be surprising if weapons of defense and/or mass destruction were hidden from our view.

No one, to my knowledge, has been on board that craft besides those who arrived in it. This does concern me, as we have no idea what is inside. If we were allowed a more access to information and were able to tour the barge, then I would have less reason to be concerned about these worse case scenarios.

Best case scenario is that they peacefully settle, and share all of their information openly. Meanwhile we and the citizens of Skytopia accept them and learn their peacefully ways. If after a while we find them to be as they currently appear then this is most likely.

One last serious note. There will more then likely be more of their kind coming from The Barrens. They left people behind, and want to settle here. Why would more not come? We need to be watchful for them and if all goes well with the first group, we can openly welcome the second. If all goes bad, we may need to ready for good fight.

Overall, there is currently little to no threat. There is also little to no information on them. We need to watch them, but not babysit them. We can trade, give them a place to stay, and do our best to open up channels for an exchange of information. We may want to have a few small patrols in their area for a time, with larger fleets ready to strike if there is trouble. However, I pray there will not be added violence and that any use of our guns will be to help them fend off pirates, who will undoubtedly want to capture and pillage anything they have that is of worth.

On a personal level, I am excited to learn what I can from them and plan on meeting with them the next opportunity I have. If I can gain enough trust, I hope to start documenting their doctrine and way of life. I pray others will attempt to meet with them soon, and that with enough contact between our people, we can develop that best relationship.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:26 pm 
RP Canoneer

After writing his report he writes a letter to Clara.

Dear Clara,

I will be open with you and as plain as I can be.

With the lack of information and little to judge your true intentions, I have worries that your people might be disguising a military intent. This is contrary to my hopes, as I wish to meet with any one of your orders members and learn what I can from them. I wish to suggest that you allow more contact and even a tour of your craft. I would be happy to be open with you and your people and share all that I have and know, if the same curtsy can be shown to me and my people.

When I say my people, I do not just mean the Red Faction.

Please contact me soon and let me know if it is possible for us to meet again.

Nero Shade
Head Chaplain of the Crimson Armada

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:59 pm 

Muttering imprecations at himself for having missed them, Dodgson watched as the small dot of the Order's craft faded away on his radar. Sighing, he left orders with his navigator to bring the plane in to land while he went back to the hold. Digging through a small pile of discarded forms and empty nut shells, he drags a briefcase from underneath and pulls out a pad of Republic standard letterhead (Colter Hark and Headly Legal Paper, 28lb, 82 gloss, 37% cotton fiber) and begins to draft a letter -

My good Matriarch:

I greatly enjoyed our meeting this past evening, and am sorry to have missed you afterward. In my eagerness to learn of your people, I fear that I failed to acquire one of the primary objects I was sent with orders to obtain, that namely being a method of communicating with you in the future. I have spoken with my President, and we both feel that both our people could benefit from continued communication. I have enclosed my private radio frequency, and pray that you would contact me, at your convenience of course.

I patiently await your response,

Dodgson C. Lewis
Acting Secretary of Foreign Affairs
The Emerald Republic

-Completing the letter, Dodgson puts it in an envelope, seals it with the mark of the Republic, and disembarks to seek the nearest private courier. Leaving instructions to head with all possible speed in the direction of Lhasa and to deliver the letter to the Earthen Order barge if spotted, Dodgson returns to his plane, setting course home to Romeo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:09 am 
Dev Eyepatch

To: Nero Shade
Re: Your report on the Earthen Order

Although I have not met this order and was not there when the meeting took place, I do share your concern. They are outlanders, and their motives are unknown to us. Although I, too, hope for a peaceful continuation of this entire situation, I can atleast assure you that the Weeping Jester and Persephone Flight are ready for any eventuality.

Signed,
Sadistica Krijgsman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:28 am 

*Post sits in a mole mechanic's bar with a confidant who's face is in shadow*

"Naw, Bub. It's true I didn't much like th' sound of th' Order when I read those transcripts. They mos' definitely have other motives in our friendly neighborhood then they are lettin' on. But, yiffing Gonk, those mugs from the Court make them look like pups in the whole swagger-an'-preen department. Somethin' tells me they can back it up a lot better, too."

*He shrugs*

"So, mebbe we make nice with the nun? Better the devil we think we know than the bigger, meaner, mask-wearing devil we're clueless about."

*The other takes this in for a moment and Post swigs his grog. He answers slowly*

"Yaar!"

Last edited by Pierce N.V. Post on Wed May 28, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:56 am 
Pirate Hat

Engraved plaque on the Wee Beastie, a highly modified Mantis:

Professor Lynx Adorienne
Echo School of Trade
Radio frequency 101.3

Office hours: T, Th 11 AM-2 PM

(magic markered beneath)

Governor's hours: W, F 11 AM-2 PM

Message from the Governor's Office at Grottopolis, to Matriarch Clara:

"This is Governor Lynx Adorienne, Professor of the Echo School of Trade. Apologies that I was not on hand to greet you, Matriarch Clara, pressing business has kept me away from the skyland of late.

"Speaking on behalf of Grottopolis, I'd like to welcome you to our skies, and offer you supplies and dock space so your mechanics can carry out their repairs, to help you recuperate from the long journey you've made to get here. Your crew is welcome to stop by our port as well and sample Grottopolis's famous hospitality."

Message from the Governor to the Port Authority at Grottopolis:

"Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It appears my trader thought you were informing us of the arrival of an ore delivery, rather than 'the Earthen Order'. Thank you for cooperating with the Azure League in setting up the meeting, that's exactly what I would have wanted done."

"I'd like you to extend your hospitality to the Earthen Order. I'll cover reasonable requests out of the Governor's Discretion fund. If they want dry dock facilities, see if you can clear some space for them. I'll want a log of what supply and repair requests they make, and if they send crew out on shore leave, please have the constabulary keep an eye out for where they go and what they do."

"Please forward the information to me as you get it, I'll have my navigator keep an ear out on this frequency."

OOC note:

Just realized that they are or were in Grottopolis space, so please backdate if they've moved on since. :) I'm looking for information on what kind of supplies they'd have requested and what things they would seem most interested in on Grottopolis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:16 pm 

---- Outgoing Message ---- Free Radio Frequency -----

Intended Recipient: Reverand Nero Shade
Origin of Signal: Emerald Offices; Eltsina, Skytopia
Re: The Matriarch Clara

Body:

Reverend,

Your concern for our visitors has gained my attention. I will readily sell you the fact* that they've yet to provide evidence to the contrary of their statements, and will even provide you that the Republic itself can find no reasons of distrust.
We are currently reluctant to provide free settlement on Green Skylands, though we seek settlement in the Barrens in order to extend our resources. The Matriarch has been provided a level 3 trade license, should another Faction grant them settlement permissions, but at the moment we are currently not hosting to such charities.**
Forwarding us the radio signal, should you reach the Matriarch, will allow us to better negotiate our deals on settlement contracts.
Thank you for your time and effort. The winds of change are blowing, and it is good to know that there are others who are concerned as to whether they bring us storm or providence.
- President Hatter

----- End Message ----

* "... sell you the fact": Term or slang common in Green controlled skylands, or skylands with strong Merchant ties, meaning conceding to an argument or statement or acknowledgment of a given truth

** "... not hosting to such charities": Business slang similar to everything has a price. Meaning refusal of cooperation without exchange

Last edited by Mad Hatter on Thu May 29, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:15 pm 
Guide

Nero Shade wrote:
Dear Clara,

I will be open with you and as plain as I can be.

With the lack of information and little to judge your true intentions, I have worries that your people might be disguising a military intent. This is contrary to my hopes, as I wish to meet with any one of your orders members and learn what I can from them. I wish to suggest that you allow more contact and even a tour of your craft. I would be happy to be open with you and your people and share all that I have and know, if the same curtsy can be shown to me and my people.

When I say my people, I do not just mean the Red Faction.

Please contact me soon and let me know if it is possible for us to meet again.

Nero Shade

To Chaplain Shade,

My people are certainly happy to come more in contact with your own. In regard to touring my craft, while I understand the curiosity and need of your people, I must at the same time look to my own people's safety.

The Order has on occasion met people who claimed to be friendly, but were only waiting on a chance to take advantage of our good nature.

Please understand that I am not accusing you of such things, but only stating that I must be conscious of their existence.

While we may show you some certain parts of our craft, your tour would be kept to areas that we considered safe to show.

Matriarch Clara

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:17 pm 
RP Canoneer

Dear Clara,

I will take what I can get, and as a show of good friendship will submit to any security requirements you require. I do often carry a revolver on my person and will be more then willing to hand it over upon meeting your security officer. However, I do require the presence of my personal assistant Borin McNagg. He too will give any weapons he has to your security officer. If need be, I will submit to a strip search.

I understand your situation and concern. I have taken the task of studying and documenting all of the religions, cults, and fanatic groups in Skytopia. Often I am met with resistance and suspicion. More then once have I had to run for my life because of my own foolishness in pressing for more knowledge. I will not push you to reveal all of your secrets, but there is a need for something that will prove your people will not suddenly open fire on our citizens.

I am over joyed to have a new source of information concerning Mangas and his prophet. It is my true intention to read any documents you care to allow me to study. If you will not let me take copies home then I will be willing to stay on your craft for a time.

Please let me know the best time to meet with you and your conditions. I will be more then happy to meet them.

Nero Shade,
Head Chaplain
Minister of Information

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:07 am 

To Clara, Matriarch of the Earthen Order:

My name is Yodo, an investigator of the ways in which things work, declaring my loyalty to the Azure Conclave and to the Azure League as a whole. I am not a creature in which you would find any great interest, I am sure, but you are of course greatly interesting to all of Skytopia, myself included, and I would beg a moment of your time.

I have been told you come to find a new home for the followers with whom you have come, but also to find new followers for the faith that has brought you here. While I have never been faithful to any deity, I would consider it an honour and a privelage if you would do me the kindness of including me among those to whom you reveal your beliefs. It would be most educational, and I would be more than willing to share what little I know of the local beliefs in exchange.

Yours gratefully,
Yodo Cephrian,
A.C.; A.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:42 pm 
RP Canoneer

IC:

Dear Clara,

I will be a great pleasure to meet with you in a couple days. I am writing you alert you to the addition of one more on the meeting. Bali, a military escort and liaison of the Crimson Empire, will be accompanying me and my personal assistant. I do not speak for him in complying to what ever security measures you will ask, but I know him to be an upstanding member of society and an honest person.

Nero Shade
Minister of Information