Register / Log in

Server Costs May

Ends in 11 days 0%
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:10 pm 
Flight Master

Faction: Flight School
An-Zu wrote:
What are permissible roleplayable types of creatures outside the realm of mammalian anthro type creatures? I know insects are non-canon from asking taft.

At the moment, we have not opened the door on reptiles, fish, birds, etc. At the moment, only mammals are canon.

Phedre Spitfire wrote:
Is there any possibility at all that some small land still exists on the surface? I know a small island resort has been rped before, just wondering about your take on it.

Islands do exist in canon. They are rare, and sometimes unstable (sinking back under the water after a bit of time), but they do exist.

Imani wrote:
Okay, so reaching back in time a little bit, what, if anything, was canonized about The Capture of Islo http://skyrates.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3752&highlight=capture+islo last round? I know this was a big, catalyzing event for Blue last round and was personally important for my character.

Nothing was ever officially canonized for this. We are currently working on an overall timeline of the game however, and are considering it for inclusion. No promises though.

Ellington wrote:
What time is it? I assume we use devtime.. I mean, somewhere around Central USA time, + - some.

Central, I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:17 pm 
Flight Master

Imani wrote:
What year is it in Skyrates? Are years the same length as they are on Earth?

A timeline is currently being worked on. For now, I'd say it's safe to say years are roughly similar to Earth-years.

Balrog wrote:
Soooo...
Could it be that perhaps in another part of the world there are non-mammal anthros? Like, Shining One could technically be a gecko for all we know.
And Magnus could have been a pretty butterfly.
I'm asking this because I was wondering if I could create a foreigner character who is some sort of reptile.

If not, he's totally going to be something really weird. Like... an aye-aye.

It could be. For right now though, none exist in canon.

Prince Harris wrote:
Well, skybrary says she was born in 139 AU

Skybrary also says March 2008 was 205AU, so now it's 217 AU according to that.

So according to the system we've set up, Eltsina is 78 years old (and still looking good somehow!)
Islo is 75
Fuseli is 81 (ha!)

In a pretty cool coincidence, the new year of 200AU was marked with a game reset. (2.2 to 2.3)

Anyways, it's pretty obvious that some tweaking is needed. It's not too much of a stretch that a faction would be led by an 81 year old, but before we know it he'll be pushing 90, then 100. Either we all live really long lives in skyrates, or years are really short in skytopia.

Any developer input on this problem?

All those dates are unofficial. We are working on an official timeline.

Also, just so people know, game time does not equal skyrates world time. So in the months that pass between resets, there's no formula of how much time passes in Skytopia's RP world. Time is bent and controlled by RP's needs.

Sloth wrote:
Hi all,
A whole pile o' questions from a relative noob to the whole online RP aspect of things.

I've been lurking for awhile and sifting through a lot of the stuff on the forums. I'm really impressed with the passion and creativity of the community.
My brain has been quietly planning a fairly long story arc that can include a whole bunch of players, but I have a lot of questions as to the best way to implement it.

First off, anyone interested?

Secondly, is the best place to so something like this in the forums or RP chat? I'm planning quests, a few puzzles, lotsa mysteries and a lot of chances for battles, conspiracies, fights etc.

I would say the forum would be the best place.

Quote:
Do I feed basic plot points to those involved to move the story forward and leave the rest up to the participants? E.g. By the end of this scene, [character] escapes but leaves behind [x].

If the answer is more or less 'yes' to that above question, I would assume that I have the majority of the major plot points figured out (which I do) and they just need to be played out with lots of opportunity for creative scenes and interactions between participants. Yes?

A lot of the locations won't be in the R&P, but I like the fairly spontaneous nature of the RP chat tab. That said, I've also noticed it can be a bit tricky getting several people to respond in a timely fashion if they're involved with something else.

As I said, this RP aspect of online gaming is pretty new to me, but I'm quite taken with the world and would love to get something like this going.
Thoughts?

This is all interesting, but I'm not sure how much dev feedback you need. You may be better off starting a separate thread, as this is more for answering very specific questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:19 pm 
Flight Master

Phedre Spitfire wrote:
But it's cannon that the Tort Upheaval happened in 207AU which was in april 2007, by your system May 07 would be 208AU, Sept. =209AU

then Jan 08 = 210AU and then Jan 09 = 213 AU, which is where we are until May, then it will be 214AU

No, it's not canon. Canon dates have never been defined, although they need to. We're working on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:21 pm 
Flight Master

Thugnificent wrote:
What sort of money are the g-squigglies? Paper, coin, seashell, plastic, pirate bones?

Coin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:35 pm 
Sapphire Luminary

Couple questions pertaining to an SCC thing I'm writing;

Do we have automobiles of some type? And how developed? Standard 40s cars, Ford model A, or would there be no civilian automobiles.

Also is there any skyland that would be considered "rich"? I assume Cidade? I want a place where a civilian mansion might fit in somewhere.

I'm also wondering how I can wear high heels with like, cat feet. But that's probably not canon-relevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:40 pm 
Dev Eyepatch

Faction: Earthen Order

Kitteh wrote:
Couple questions pertaining to an SCC thing I'm writing;

Do we have automobiles of some type? And how developed? Standard 40s cars, Ford model A, or would there be no civilian automobiles.

Also is there any skyland that would be considered "rich"? I assume Cidade? I want a place where a civilian mansion might fit in somewhere.

I'm also wondering how I can wear high heels with like, cat feet. But that's probably not canon-relevant.

Yeah, and now I'm imagining Kitteheels! What a Cat-astrophe!

*snerks and then is hit by a snare drum*

Grey Mortand

*) Member of the Black Sheep Squadron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:15 pm 

Kitteh wrote:

I had always assumed we had some snazzy autos, y'know, like this. I shall be very sad if we don't.

Also, I've RP'd my character having a whole estate on Juliet, so I'm interested in both sizes of the skylands and relative wealth. I'd always assumed the skylands are all much larger than they appear to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:17 pm 
Relic Hunter

Faction: Crimson Armada

Since we have trains and such... I guess we do indeed, have some sort of auto-mobiles.

Also, unobtainium hoverbikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:16 am 

Kitteh wrote:

I figure they're probably uncommon, if only because some skylands are probably too small to justify using cars all the time, since a short walk never killed anyone. :razz:

Sildar wrote:
I had always assumed we had some snazzy autos, y'know, like this. I shall be very sad if we don't.

Mmm, reminds me of Lackadaisy.

Sildar wrote:
I'd always assumed the skylands are all much larger than they appear to be.

Warning: Skylands in Rear View Mirror are closer than they appear. :remygrin:

I think that's a safe bet, and some are probably very different in RP-land than their visual/rendered/in-game counterparts - for example, the Fuseli. A single runway is asking for it to be bombed or strafed and locked up by debris.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:54 pm 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

Lord Gilbert wrote:
Imani wrote:
What year is it in Skyrates? Are years the same length as they are on Earth?

A timeline is currently being worked on. For now, I'd say it's safe to say years are roughly similar to Earth-years.

Lord Gilbert wrote:
Prince Harris wrote:
...Either we all live really long lives in skyrates, or years are really short in skytopia.

Also, just so people know, game time does not equal skyrates world time. So in the months that pass between resets, there's no formula of how much time passes in Skytopia's RP world. Time is bent and controlled by RP's needs.

Neither of these quite answer something Keyo, I, and many others have been trying to nail down, which is: what is the ratio between real time and in-game time?

Two suggestions have been:

A) One month in RL equals one year in the game (or some other ratio, which essentially has our characters aging somewhat faster than their players do).

B) The ratio is one-to-one, but during Resets, Events, and otherwise at dev discretion, time skips forward substantially, so that perhaps the Storm took a year or more while the game itself was only 'dark' for about six weeks.

Now, if it is something like option A, we're all bright enough to understand that time spent in the RP tab at the tavern or what have you is conducted in real time, and they're more like vignettes of a day, with somewhat dilated time to deal with interpersonal exchanges.

But it would be quite dissatisfying if the reply were, "oh, well, all time is like that, it just warps on an ad hoc basis." The reason is that if we had a locked down answer to this, it would be much, much easier for players to both conduct small-bore RP, as well as keep the timeline managed as to micro-historical events, without having to bother the devs every time we needed to know how old people are, how long events ago were, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:01 pm 

Zabrak, as Lord Gilbert clearly states, one year in real time equals one year in skyrates time. However, time is fluid between resets and can be whatever the devs want it to be. Also, the devs reserve the right to jump forward in time at any point. However, unless this special circumstance arises, the time stream moves in parallel.

Frankly, I don't see a problem with this approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:32 pm 
Legend

No, from the context of the question he's answering, I take the response to mean that, from the perspective of our characters, a year on the Skyrates planet lasts around 365 days (or five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes, as fans of the legitimate theater can all attest), the same as for us on here on Earth. In other words, the Skyrates planet isn't like Mercury or Jupiter or some other place with a weird amount of time it takes to orbit the sun.

But it doesn't answer the ratio between our experienced time and our characters'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:36 pm 
Flight Master

Imani wrote:
Zabrak, as Lord Gilbert clearly states, one year in real time equals one year in skyrates time. However, time is fluid between resets and can be whatever the devs want it to be. Also, the devs reserve the right to jump forward in time at any point. However, unless this special circumstance arises, the time stream moves in parallel.

Frankly, I don't see a problem with this approach.

I think I may have been misinterpreted.

To be sure, let me phrase this most carefully.

A year in Skytopia takes about 364 earth days. That specifically means that a Skytopian year lasts about the same time as an earth year.

This does NOT mean, that every year that passes in real life means a year has passed in Skytopia. We very much want to avoid having some sort of conversion rate. We will not be having people saying, "Well, it's been 10 days in real life, which means that X days have passed in the world of Skytopia."

I hope I've been clear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:33 pm 
RP Guide

Well, glad we're hammering through all this date nonsense. It something that seems trivial, but has fairly big implications for skytopia history and lore.

A timeline was mentioned, this would be super dooper cool, as such the current player made ones are probably incorrect. (for a number of reasons)

If there doesn't exist any player usable dating system (aka conversion rate) could we ask for later canon RP events to come packaged with dates or some other way for us to identify them? I worry for the skybrary without our precious dates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:10 am 
Sapphire Luminary

Marcus Langley wrote:
Kitteh wrote:

I figure they're probably uncommon, if only because some skylands are probably too small to justify using cars all the time, since a short walk never killed anyone. :razz:

I assume and hope the skylands are much larger than the little 3D models we get; otherwise each would have a population in the, um, dozens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:35 am 
Combat Guru

Faction: Azure League

Is any of this stuff wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:47 am 
True Friend

Thanks Gilbert for the updates on the whole timeline thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:22 pm 

Kitteh wrote:
I assume and hope the skylands are much larger than the little 3D models we get; otherwise each would have a population in the, um, dozens.

I agree, but at the same time, some may still be impractical for travel via vehicle due to small size or lack of infrastructure. You'd probably end up with habitation and industry centered around the airports (being the transit hubs), and the rest used as farmland. Thus, most of what you'd need would mostly be in the city area and not too much of a walk.

As I said to Sildar;

Mr. L wrote:
I think that's a safe bet, and some are probably very different in RP-land than their visual/rendered/in-game counterparts - for example, the Fuseli. A single runway is asking for it to be bombed or strafed and locked up by debris.

That's mostly my tactical/strategic brain talking, but it also applies to stuff like shipping... you'd need plenty of runways and good ATC to manage all the aircraft coming and going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:40 am 
Hack Journalist

And yet, a dual runway system on carriers is a pretty modern invention (probably mostly due to technical limitations like structural integrity and weight vs propulsion/fuel use), WW2 carriers had lots of problems like this. Also, the majority of the worlds airports are single runway, and even without air control towers (I assume each Skyland of note has a tower, though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:45 am 

True, but we don't have a problem with all long-range transit being provided by aircraft due to all of the land being seperated into floating chunks, so we don't need massive, highly complex airfields except for a few major hubs, as ground (road or rail) and sea transit are also viable for long distance jobs.

Depending on how heavy the air traffic is from an in-world point of view, skylands could well need to support large airfields to manage all the craft coming and going, and not all of those are going to have the fuel supply to circle for long periods after a long trip.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next