Ends in 13 days 0%
It is currently Wed May 18, 2022 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: AC vs. DR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:42 am 
Explorer

Faction: Flight School
Note: The plural of anecdote is not data! :chatty:

Taft was in chat yesterday, and indicated that the new AC system is meant to be a chance for any incoming damage to bounce off harmlessly, and that this chance isn't affected by the base damage of the incoming fire. Though General chat is a confusing place at best, he seemed to say that DR had been removed altogether.

The impression I have, having flown a 7 AC, 9 Armor Bullfrog, is that lighter shots bounce a lot more often than heavy shots. I can sit in a long arm's arc for ten seconds and never see a ricochet, but if I stray into a flak, I'm suddenly a fireworks show!

I'm curious to hear from others who have flown armored planes. Do heavy weapons bounce? Do light weapons ever make it through?

-c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:07 am 

I thought DR was renamed AC. As I understood it, any non-crit hits with damage lower than the AC of the target will bounce off. Any hits larger will get their damage reduced by AC (Not 100% sure on this part, but I think that's how DR used to work). Thus, AC and Flak (as well as the smaller MG) shots that don't crit have a high chance of bouncing off some of the bigger traders. Howies and LAs won't ever bounce off, I believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:55 am 

Faction: Azure League

I assume that if a shot bounces, we are always rewarded with a visual indication.

I have never seen anything bounce my large MG, no matter what its AC is. However, it does take me much longer to kill the large planes than their armor would suggest, so there is certainly something in place that makes me do less damage to them.

So far I've flown a few planes with AC. They bounce small MGs and medium autocannons, among other things, but I've never seen them bounce any LA or HW. Guns that bounce definitely do no damage unless they crit, I've spent serious amounts of time in the arc of a Marauder trying to peg it with a tailgun and taken nothing. Planes are definitely taking less damage from the things they don't bounce, by whatever method. My Halifax was particularly resistant to medium MG damage despite its low armor.

From observation, it seems that last round's DR is identical to this round's AC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:05 am 
Helpful

Navvy wrote:
I have never seen anything bounce my large MG, no matter what its AC is.

Takes an AC of 17, which requires upgrades and which I maintain at all times. It's fun to be able to just sit in a Kingfisher's tail arc and bounce whatever it shoots at you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:20 pm 

Ah. That certainly implies that AC is a straight subtraction of damage, and not a roll versus a threshold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:52 pm 
Explorer

Well then, if Archon meant to make AC different from DR, he might want to look at it again... :)

-c.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:57 pm 
Developer

Hey Skyrates,

I just talked with Taft about this. He wanted Damage Reduction to be represented in the client but thought DR sounded way too much like D&D (it's actually a term from how armor works in the Star Wars pen and paper rpg), so he named it Armor Class, which sadly collides acronymically with Auto-Cannons. We'll brainstorm a little and see if we can come up with something better, but rest assured that we're basically still talking about the DR mechanic of subtracting damage from every shot.

-- Archon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:35 pm 

While Armor Class has been in every version of D&D since the first one? :shock:

Thanks much for confirming this, looking forward to the new acronym.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:10 pm 
Developer

Yes, but Armor Class, specifically in D&D 3-4, doesn't reduce damage, it reduces chance to hit, which is not at all what DR does in this game.

-- Archon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:56 am 
Explorer

Archon wrote:
Yes, but Armor Class, specifically in D&D 3-4, doesn't reduce damage, it reduces chance to hit, which is not at all what DR does in this game.

So you can understand our (and apparently Taft's) confusion. ;)

If you want to avoid the name "DR", here are some alternatives:

SP (stopping power)
Hardness
IR (impact resistance)
SI (structural integrity)
AF (armor factor)
Absorption

-c.