All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The War Begins
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:59 am 
Snuggler

Faction: Flight School
Written by Hyashi
Edited by Chesterfield Taft

Eltsinian Warehouse

Verron Kadath was not pleased with his situation. Though he had managed to elude notice for several years, he quickly found that while Eltsina's followers expanded in size, Skytopia remained only so large. Soon enough, the Emerald Hammer was found mid-flight, and he had indeed been caught. Now restrained to an uncomfortable wooden chair that faced a desk, he heard some movement. As with any meeting with the elusive possum known as Eltsina, the lighting was poor, and sound was almost as dead as Kadath imagined he would be in a few moments.

As his eyes adjusted to the light, he saw a faint glint from what must have been jewelery. As he focused more intently, he realized that the jewels each engraved with a symbol for each branch of the Merchant's Guild. This must be her, adorned in the robes that were once rightfully his. He said nothing, nor attempted to move, as he pondered the number of guards behind him that were shrouded by darkness. Finally setting his mind clear, he took a breath and spoke, "It's been some time, Dasha."

The robe shifted slightly, perhaps due to a change in sitting position, or a brief hint to her next words. Eltsina's body language was nearly impossible to read, partially due to her training, and partially from the low lighting. "Indeed Verron. You've managed to successfully evade my search parties for all this time, and now you have been brought back here. Do you know what this room is?" the female spoke, eventually gesturing about from the corners of his vision. He briefly tried to scan the room before saying, "No. It seems to be just a warehouse for plane storage."

"This is the room that I told you your power had reached its end. That is the very chair I sat in, as indeed the one I currently occupy was once yours. Your abuses of power and trust, Verron, are still unpaid. All of the resources you stole for your own projects and personal gain under the guise of mutual benefit have all but been recovered. All the shames and attempts to sell away the very identity of the Guild are now but distant memories...and we have a very long memory. Despite this, you have been pardoned as of 203 AU." she replied, presumably grinning from the turn of events. Kadath snorted a little bit, feeling quite the opposite on the whole idea. Though her last statement, 'pardoned' had some effect upon him. "Pardoned, but wh--"

"Do not think that you somehow appealed to my merciful nature, this is purely business. The Hand has decided that it was time for you to pay for your crimes, but since I have already undone most of your work, there is little left to hold you guilty for. However, as you well know, there's no such thing as a free service. I will restore your title as Minister of Finances if you can do something for me."

Being pardoned was like at once like a breath of fresh air and a kick in the face. Verron had onced presided over an empire of traders and agents who had manipulated the markets of the world to deliver him great vaults of power, money, and influence. All that had come crashing down when this woman, this monster had ripped it all away from him, and now she was the one who was offering him salvation? And what salvation? A mere position that he once commanded over...and yet that small position was more than he could possible hope for at this time. A title meant influence again, reputation, finances. It meant a chance.

He cleared his throat slightly, and stared into the darkness of Eltsina. With careful measure of his voice he said, "An...interesting proposal. But I would prefer to hear a little more about the details."

A slight laugh came from across the desk, "Why Verron. Is it possible that a Green still exists in that old body of yours? Delightful," The robes shifted a little, "My agents have come across a most peculiar artifact. One that has been confirmed as Pre-Upheaval...." she paused a moment, either for effect, or to further drink in Kadath's unhsteadiness, "...the issue is, that while we have learned some things from it, we have no way of finding what exactly it does or how it works. No doubt it's valuable, since I've never seen one previously, and your knowledge of such artifacts is unmatched in Skytopia. The Hidden Fleet has begun to attack Skytopia, and I have a sense that such knowledge will prove to be invaluable. What do you say to us finding a mutually beneficial agreement?"

Kadath stared for a moment more, before slowly nodding. Elstina had not mentioned what would happen if he refused, but his imagination could come up with a few ideas, "And...you do promise full restoration as Minister if I assist in the matter? With the proviso that I will not be harmed after completion of this task?"

"Naturally, we can work out the middling details later, but yes. That is the gist of our agreement Verron," she said, standing, "Now that you know your objective, I'd like you to think upon my offer. Do think quickly, my patience is not limitless."

Kadath stared as he saw her slight silhouette move towards what appeared to be an eternity of blackness, only to be partially dispelled when she opened a door. Suddenly surrounded by light, she looked back to Kadath and seemed to smile before fading away into the light.

As the door shut, Kadath stared daggers into her receding form. He already knew he would accept, as did she. Anything to regain part of his old status.

Eltsina was patient? Well so was he, and he would bide his time and eventually take back what he deserved, destroying all that stood in his way.

Post subject: Re: The War Begins
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:00 am 
Snuggler

Written by Prince Harris

Aboard the Azure Horizon

Emir Dalhoum slid the door open to find a young boar standing nervously in the hall. "Can I help-" Dalhoum started off.

"Greetings Dalhoum, Emir of-" the boar spoke before realizing he had interrupted. "Sorry." He lowered his eyes and scratched his neck in embarrassment.

The pair experienced a pause before the boar began again. "Greetings Dalhoum, Emir of the Nomads, I am Kavir of the Dashte. I attend today to-"

"You are here for the clan gathering, yes?" Dalhoum interjected before Kavir could finish his traditional greeting. "Do not worry about all that then, come in." He opened the door wider and Kavir stepped through stiffly. The room was small, but a ring of seats and couches had been arranged anyways. The hum of the Azure Horizon's engines pervaded even this cabin, the on board residency of Emir Dalhoum. Space was at a premium aboard the Azure League's new flagship, and Dalhoum had refused to occupy a larger room.

"You are a little early, I have not finished all the preparations yet." Dalhoum stepped back to his small stove, stirring a pan of food.

Kavir turned to him mortified. "Oh no." He began blabbering. "How early? I can come back later. I'll go and come back then."

Before he could make a move for the door, Dalhoum calmed him with a gesture. "Sit, sit. You are not that early. You said Kavir correct? Of the Dashte?"

Kavir picked out a chair, sitting in it hesitantly. "Yes sir, my mother is Margoh of the Dashte." He glanced out the window as he spoke. "Her age limits travel now, she asked me to represent her today."

Dalhoum ladled sauce into the pan while speaking. "Then today you must stand with honor. Your mother is a good clan leader and friend. I am honored to have her representative in my home."

The boar blushed, the initial embarrassment turning to a sense of pride.

Finishing his cooking, Dalhoum spooned food into a large bowl, steam rising and filling the cabin with the aroma of spices. "This is an important gathering. The Hidden Fleet raids are becoming more serious. Nomads are affected as any other member of the sky. I have called the gathering for the nomads to study the skies ahead."

Kavir looked outside again, marveling at the size of the Horizon's wing, visible through the window. "Before I left, my mother said it was unlikely the clans could reach a decision today."

Dalhoum sighed quietly as he set down a platter of food upon the central table. "Your mother has seen many such gatherings, and speaks from long experience. We nomads are a disparate people. Doubtlessly, some clans will have differing beliefs about the Fleet."

"But surely you can force some kind of consensus? The League should be united against the Fleet, and you can guide us."

Dalhoum's piercing blue eyes stared seriously at Kavir, "But that is not in the nature of the nomads nor the League. We shall discuss the topic today, to better understand it and offer guidance. What about those clans who have few warriors? Should they be dragged into war against their will? Ultimately, the decision should be made by those who must live with the consequences." He sat down and grabbed a piece of bread. "We should eat now, the clan leaders always tend to eat more than I manage to prepare."

Islo Conclave Hall

The monkey cleared his throat and picked a speck of lint from his white coat. He waited for the applause to die down as the previous speaker stepped off the stage. As the fox passed, he patted his friends arm with a quick, "Good luck."

Encouraged by his colleague, the monkey stepped onto the stage and to the podium. In front of him, the auditorium simmered with noise. The rear doors were open, revealing the bustle of foot traffic in the hallway outside. He opened his mouth and spoke hesitantly at first. "Good afternoon. My name is Haimo Cadell, and I'm here to present a report to the Azure Conclave on-" he coughed and turned towards the screen behind him. Clicking a button on the podium, a slide slid into place displaying the title of his presentation. "-Advances in radio technology and our understanding of Hidden Fleet communications."

A quiet murmur passed over the crowd of attendees. The Conclave was where the best and brightest of the Azure League came together to share knowledge. Although it met regularly to share scientific progress, the Conclave would also convene during times of crisis. Located near the top of the Islo tower, the Conclave's meeting room had hosted debates both dramatic and mundane. Today it was barely half full, and scattered groups conversed quietly amongst themselves.

Haimo spread his papers across the podium and resumed speaking. "This is my first presentation before the Conclave, and I'd like like to thank everyone here for their attendance." He paused, then coughed quietly before continuing. "In the last two years, laboratories in this skyland have managed to increase the precision of radio technology almost tenfold." His voice finally steadied as he began speaking the words he had heavily practiced. He turned towards the screen again, advancing to the next slide. A chart of radio frequencies appeared. "Both broadcasts and reception can be tuned more exactly," the monkey continued. "This allows more usable frequencies in a given radio band. As work moves out from prototype stage and into manufacturing, we expect Skytopians to be able to transmit greater volumes of communication than ever before."

Some members of the crowd nodded in appreciation. Radio manufacturers on Cidade had been eager to finance Azure League research in this field, and the funding was now paying off.

Haimo continued. "It is likely that the Hidden Fleet possesses even greater capability in this field."

Some members of the audience straightened up, and the chatting groups of scientists stopped and listened.

Waiting a moment for the movement to settle down, Haimo resumed speaking. He now had the attention of the room. "My team and I would like to submit a significant hypothesis: that Hidden Fleet transmissions in fact are made of separate transmissions over a number of distinct micro-frequencies. In addition, that the standard radio equipment in Skytopia has interpreted these clusters of simultaneous transmissions as one more complex single transmission. We believe that this has led to false leads in decoding and translating Hidden Fleet communications. Over the next hour I hope to show evidence for this hypothesis, and to illustrate ways for-"

He froze mid sentence as a silent rumble passed through the floorboards. The audience murmured in astonishment. With a wavering voice, Haimo continued. "-and to illustrate ways-"

The room shook again and an audible rumble threw the attendees into chaos. One Walrus ran to the window and threw open the heavy blinds. He turned back to the room and shouted, "There's a battle out there!"

With a rush, the crowd was at the windows. Haimo pushed his way through the crowd of lab coats and flight suits to peer out the window. The rattle of muted gunfire reached his ears. The crowd flinched back as a flaming plane swooped past the window. The spindly craft crashed into the tower three floors below, sending the crowd into hysterics. The tower's intercom system crackled to life, gaining the room's attention. "Please remain calm. Please remain calm. Defensive units have already been dispatched, but the raiders are withdrawing, we believe this to only be a hit and run attack. We're receiving reports of heavier assaults against outlying skylands in the Southeast. We request anyone with flight combat experience to report to the hanger decks to provide reinforcements."

The crowd began speaking all at once, a multitude of voices each more alarmed than the next. Haimo stepped back and bumped into a bear behind him. He mumbled an apology and looked to the auditorium's doors. "The equipment..." He ran up the steps and out the rear exit.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 am 
Snuggler

Written by Markus Jarnhann

Tortugan Airspace

"...Why couldn't it have just been the X-36s?"

The spry ferret, dressed in a manner that might best be described as Roguish looked the skies over. He adjusted the hat upon his head, and idly fingered the skull and crossbones motif on the edge of his armrest. The Hidden Fleet was slashing its way through the pirate forces combined against them. Even from this distance, he could see a burning G01D-F15H in the distance. It was hard to tell if it was his, one of Master Locust's, or one of those treacherous fools who'd gone over to Mistress Owl, but it was burning all the same, and striving valiantly to make it out of the fierce melee that existed above in the skies.

The Hidden Fleet's craft tore through the ranks of the Skytopian Pirates, and it seemed as if for every one of their bizarre ships that fell, there was another to take its place. This had been... ill-conceived. In the nearer quadrant to his craft, a Golden bolo could be seen, a relic of a time long gone, guns firing in every direction, as it was swarmed by fleet craft, some similar to the X-36, some a bizarre array of guns flying in ways that made the ferret's head hurt.

All were deadly.

The Bolo exploded in a fast-expanding ball of smoke and flame, amidst its attackers, as the Ferret piloted his craft into the heart of the fierce storm.

"...Got to salvage some o' my boys from this. Thought numbers would be enough... But nooooo.."

And as he did, a general command was issued over the radio.

"Retreat! All folks bound to t'charter o'pirates, retreat! We'll hold 'em as long as we can, lads. Get outta 'ere."

At that call, a flotilla of pirate blimps broke formation, steaming for the 'No Man's Land' between the two forces, before turning broadside. Cannons boomed. Tracers, large and small streaked through the sky, seeking out the Hidden Fleet forces, as the remainder of the pirates turned tail, and attempted to break contact, many mostly flying on a hope and a prayer.

One by one, the blimps burst into flames, and began to crackle. The lead Leviathan exploded into a ball of flame, but not before taking one of the intimidating Hidden Fleet's platforms with it, the enormous craft hurtling towards the ocean before crackling with electricty and vanishing before it hit the waves. The spry ferret checked his six o'clock position; his own pilots had formed on him, and were falling out. They would get away from the Fleet, this time, it seemed... They just had to get back to Tortuga, now.

...Tortuga. There was much to be discussed.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:01 am 
Snuggler

Written by Walther

Fuseli Warroom

Behind an unassuming hatch down the corridor from the famous observation deck of the former battleship, two men stood hunched over a sprawling chart table, deep in quiet conversation. The old wolf’s attention was focused on the south eastgern edge of the enormous chart of known Skytopia that had been rolled out over the surface. His companion, a middle aged ferret, split his attention between the chart and his friend and commander, waiting on the Admiral’s word.

Fuseli finally spoke, in the low, gravelly voice of a man who had shouted himself hoarse over the thunder of the guns too many times. "This has become serious, Dax."

He dragged a finger in an arc between the current positions of Alpha 7 and Getty as he continued, tracing a line through the densest forest of red marks on the chart. "How big an upswing does this make?"

Vice Admiral Daxilus Argent leaned away from his old friend to pick up his copy of the latest report from the intelligence team assigned to track the activities of the... frankly alien craft of the Hidden Fleet. He double-checked their numbers before replying.

"It’s... a big increase, sir. NavInt has revised their force estimate on the number of these aircraft to over thirty times their old numbers."

Fuseli wrinkled his nose in distaste, the fur of his muzzle showing old scars and worry lines as it shifted. "Well organized, now, too. You don’t have to tell me the rest, Dax. I can smell 'invasion' as plainly as they can."

He straightened, giving his aide a tight, humorless smile that bared the tips of his fangs. Argent felt his blood rush as he looked into the Admiral's eyes and saw a familiar glint there, "Send out the word, Admiral. Every general-grade officer that can reach us by 1600 hours tomorrow is to do so. The Armada is called to war again."

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:04 am 
Snuggler

Written by Nero Shade

Lhasa, Hall of Memory

Acolyte Steven looked across the solemn congregation gathered for the burial services. A dozen caskets lined the front of the chapel, several of them holding only fragments of charred bone. Normally, he would be sitting with the grief stricken families, but he had been asked to help some of the elderly leaders sitting on the stand. He had been part of the Earthen Order from the first day they opened their membership to Skytopians, and recently they had asked him to take on more responsibilities. He wasn't sure how he felt facing the many rows of mourners, but he was asking the same question they were. Why would Magnus allow such a tragedy?

The twelve departed had been missionaries returning from a trip where they were providing relief efforts. Just as they arrived in Tehras airspace, strange planes attacked without warning. The pilot had flown bravely and his crew put up a good fight, but in the end the planes from the Hidden Fleet won and the plane exploded when it hit the side of the skyland. Most of the men and women had already been dead before they hit, but it took the efforts of the remaining crew to keep the plane from crashing where more lives would have been lost.

This was just the recent, and worst, of the savage attacks from the Hidden Fleet.

Their service was both beautiful and sad. Songs of hope and rebirth had been sung with tears. Words of praise and love were given. Many people had spoken, citing scripture and doing all they could to give comfort. Some even preached forgiveness. Little if anything brought real relief.

Then Matriarch Clara took the pulpit. She said nothing at first, but looked out at the mourning disciples. Unlike all the others, she wore a smile and a warm glow seemed to come from her. The sobbing calmed down as she looked from person to person.

“I thank you all for coming to celebrate the lives of these wonderful men and women. Their deaths, though bitter, have united us once again in worship. I feel they would be proud of us all for not uttering words of hate or anger. They lived to spread the word and knowledge of Magnus and his way. Part of their mission was to spread love even in times of war.

“Those responsible for this tragedy have not hounded us like they are now. We do not know who they are. We do not know where they come from. We do not know what they want. There are some of you who have suggested that they are devils sent to destroy us. Some say they are sent from Magnus himself to cleanse the world.

“Our lost brothers and sisters were not targeted for any other reason then that they were at the wrong place at the wrong time. Magnus did allow this happen. That I do know for certain. That may not bring you comfort, but consider this: Magnus allowed them to die in the prime of their righteousness. May we all be that fortunate.

"He also has allowed them to pass on as a reminder to us that we are not immune to the sorrows of war. We can not be so naïve to think we are so righteous that we will see no evil come upon us.

“Let us honor these lost lives by keeping our faith. Let us remember them by walking the path they dedicated their lives to. A great challenge awaits us, and some will be asked to lay down their lives for our faith. It would be a dishonor to lose faith. We would not remember these fallen men and women if we were not obedient to the path Magnus has given us.

“Faith. They had it. They knew there was danger, but they did not let it stop them. Now let us follow that example.”

She stopped and looked out at the silent chapel. Everyone were looking at her with anticipation, the energy in the room was high.

“I love you all. I am proud of you. Now let us not let these deaths be in vain. Magnus keep you all.”

She sat down and the services ended with a hymn and the caskets were carried out as the congregation followed. Acolyte Steven attended to an old goat, who leaned on a cane as he briskly marched to Matriarch Clara. They both stood in silence as each casket was cast off the skyland and into the ocean below. Once the last one was out of sight the goat looked to the Matriarch with a stern gaze.

“This be a sign of the times. You mark my words, the devils are here to purge the world, not us. If we had been truly righteous Magnus would not have turned this evil upon us. 'I bring peace to those who believe. I give comfort to those who follow me.' He told Alcuin, 'Devils will be destroyed by my hand, armies that come against you will be routed by my hand because you have faith in me!'”

She turned to him calmly and said, “Reverend Standfast, you know Magnus will not turn the devils from us simply because we profess to believe. I know your feelings for the people of Skytopia, and that you would have us close our doors to all but our believers. If the world comes to us for help, will we deny them? No, it would not be the proper way.”

“Even if it means we deny He who breathes life into us? We came to this heathen land to save them from His {static} and instead we welcomed their ways into our own church. Now, devils from the pit itself is upon the whole land. The unbelievers will be burned and Magnus's mercy will come upon the rightous. I say ‘Let the heathens be burned away. Let the sinners see their iniquity. The saints will be protected.’ That’s the word Matriarch.”

"Do not preach at me Reverend." Matriarch Clara interrupted.

“I'll preach to who the spirit moves me to, and the scripture continues, ‘The saints will be protected for as long as they remember me.’ We have forgotten him, mark my words. We must be purged. Like fire purifies gold and burns the dross away, so must we allow challenges to purify us. That's why they are here now, to purge us. Then and if we are righteous, and I know there are a few of us who are, we will rain fire and ash upon their {static} hides! They will have no hiding places because Magnus will reveal them. Their armor will fail under our righteous assault. There will be nothing left but dust after we sweep over them with angels at our wings with fiery swords in one hand and trumpets in the other announcing, 'Here be the chosen, flee from them for Magnus fights with them!'

Standfast gazed bitterly towards the sky, "But we are far from that. We must first repent and cleanse our souls so that we are worthy of such a blessing!"

The reverend turned to Acolyte Steven and pointed his cane at his chest. "You! Glory be to us if indeed we repent, but if we do not, remember when you watch the skyland burn from the evils we let fester. Remember I warned you that repentence is our only hope, that faith our only true weapon. Magnus will give us the strength to fight and to bring His glory to the world if we are truly faithfull."

"But dear Reverend," Steven said with tears in his eyes, "The missionaries were faithful. Why did Magnus not fight for them?"

The Reverend opened his mouth to speak but said nothing. His eyes turned harder and hotter. He put his cane down and took a deep breath. His frame gradually deflated and his face softened.

"They were good men and women. I knew them personaly. Aye, Magus took them home and they have his rest. Their final mission was to remind us to repent. To remind us that devils are upon us and we need to return to rightousness."

"Dear Reverend," Mariarch Clara said, "we are not so different. I preach we are being tested and that we need to increase our faith. You preach we have forgotten our faith and are being punished. We are both saying we are in for a trial that will test our rightousness. Let us leave it at what Alcuin said, 'Have faith, and miracles will be poured out upon you in such a way that you will have no room to hold them all.' I dare say we are going to need such miracles."

The old goat looked at the Matriarch and grunted but said no more. The young Acloyte stood there watching them in silence as they looked out across the sea to the horizon. The clouds were lit up red in the sunset in the far distance, with sounds of thunder rolling in from far away. It seemed a sign from above telling them to prepare, for war was about to come to all.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:05 am 
Snuggler

Written & Edited by Chesterfield Taft

Arcadia Gardens

The great tree of Arcadia seemed to groan in the winds that swept the Skyland. Its tangled mass of boughs shuddered and rubbed against one another, at one moment sounding like falling water, at the next like the scales of a serpent. The being known as Shining One stood at the base of the trunk, neck craned upwards, as though trying to take in the entirety of the tree while standing only foot away from it.

"Grand Artist," a voice said from behind.

Turning, Shining One looked through its mask at a male and female before it. The female was a bear, stocky of form but carrying herself with the ease of one at total comfort - Great Reflection. She had come to this land with Shining One, had been a connection to the people of Skytopia. The other was one such person, a young otter who had been at Arcadia when they had arrived. Freshly graduated from flight school, with eyes as wide as the sky itself.

Shining One turned back to look at the tree, "One wonders why this is the only one."

Great Reflection inclined her head, "Artist?"

Gesturing about, Shining One said, "The air is heady with the scent of pollen. The great tree calls forth to the winds...yet does any answer? We have not seen its kind, it exists alone."

The otter spoke up, "Does that make it imperfect?"

Shining One turned around again, "I do not know," and inclined its head in the manner that normally broadcast its amusement, "I would have to ask it."

Great Reflection again nodded, "Grand Artist, we come with news," she ushered the boy forward.

The otter blanched slightly, as he found himself looking into the darkness of Shining One's eyes, swallowing he said, "The Hidden Fleet has begun to invade from the South. They have managed to take several skylands and its predicted that they're going to make their way to the core."

Shining One nodded and then said, "What is your name?"

Taken aback by this sudden change of subject, the otter said, "I, uh...I am called Unseen Watcher."

The slight tilting of the mask, "That is what you are called. What is your name?"

A pause, and a blush, "My name is Olivier Babbington."

Shining One laughed, not unkindly, and then said, "Well Olivier Babbington who watches unseen, what would you wish of me?"

The otter stared up at Shining One in confusion, he looked back at Great Reflection, who only shrugged in response, and then back to the Grand Artist. He looked down at his feet, then back up, cleared his throat and said, "The threat is unknown to us, we would will it tha-"

A single finger in front of his face stopped him. As his eyes crossed to focus on it, it slowly wagged back and forth, "No. Try again."

Olivier, sometimes Unseen Watcher, felt his face grow hot as he cleared his throat one more time, "...what should we do?"

Clapping its hands together, Shining One laughed again, "Dearest Olivier. The path and the way of excellence is one that can not be found by ghosts. To inhabit the life of another is to walk no path and to see no thing. We must stand alone, casting ourselves ever outwards, ever inwards, whole and yet incomplete, but we must do so by our own choice and our own will."

Shining One knelt down, cupping the otter's face in its hands, "Olivier of Babbington. Be seen. Be seen by the self, and watch."

The Grand Artist again turned to look up at the tree, as Olivier backed away, his mind reeling with confusion and wonder.

Great Reflection reached a hand out to Olivier and repeated, "What should we do, Grand Artist?"

Shining One looked up at the great tree once more, "Gather as pollen to the wind. Seek excellence in the skies and carry yourselves to the South. We shall see if the Fleet remembers us."

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:07 am 
Snuggler

Written by Nero Shade

All over Skytopia

A group of traders flying in an aerial caravan of five large Kingfishers makes a return flight. Each plane was fitted to fight off pirates and the crews had very experienced gunners. Their holds were almost empty, having just unloaded high end goods at their destination. Finding that they were too late to pick up a load of any real worth, they decided to head back to base for a rest. They ran into two Hidden Fleet towers and several strange aircraft they had never seen before.

They fought for an hour until the last Kingfisher exploded midair.

Some fresh out of Flight School pilots were celebrating the purchase of a new plane when they were cut down. They didn’t even have a chance to see the plane that attacked them.

A combat wing that launched from the deck of Fuseli was heading to Midgard when they ran into a large group of Hidden Fleet fighters. The brave pilots from the Armada were flying a mix of personally upgraded craft, and had many hours of combat experience. Each set of captain and crew had fought Hidden Fleet bogies before, but never so many. The new, stranger craft gave them even more trouble.

The battle went on past sundown. One plane crash landed on the ocean just under Midgard. The crew had been reduced down to two, the captain and the mechanic. The captain died in the hospital. The mechanic led a rescue operation that saved two others floating in the sea below where the battle had been. To his surprise, neither of them had been part of the battle but had been in planes flying through unaware of the danger. The rest of his wing was never found.

A group of missionaries returning to Tehras were shot down just a short distance from the skyland. The bullets from the Hidden Fleet fighters ripped through the hull of their airplane, which had not been built to withstand heavy attacks. Most were killed in the first few strafes. The plane, so badly damaged that it couldn’t bank or turn, would have crashed into a heavily populated part of Tehras. If the remaining crew hadn’t sacrificed themselves to force the plane to crash into a rock face on the skyland.

Explorers traveling close to the sea were cataloging the small islands when they were attacked. Their fast plane would have out ran the Hidden Fleet planes they were used to encountering, but they were chased down by new planes. They only survived long enough to report the attack over the radio.

A pilot perfecting his stunt flying out near Arcadia found a Hidden Fleet plane keeping pace with his Ingersol. He laughed as it flew in motion with him, and was shot down moments later.

In every case the Hidden Fleet hit from nowhere and disappeared afterwards. No one saw them coming, and there was no sign of where they went. Skytopia raged and Skytopia bled, striking out against the unseen threat.

There was a storm on the horizon.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:13 am 
Snuggler

And a big round of applause and appreciation for the Roleplay Guides, who have been an incredible help.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:52 pm 
RP Canoneer

Faction: Crimson Armada

Awesome! I am so happy to see them up.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:07 am 
RP Guide

Faction: Independent

What Nero said. But in addition, I'm glad to see this event moving...AND be a part of it :D

Big thanks to Taft for giving us this opportunity AND helping us with it.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:16 am 

Great storytelling! I'm looking forward to more. My thanks to the authors for dedicating the time to creating these!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:04 pm 

I agree entirely - this is a wonderful compilation of storytelling.
Really looking forward to seeing how this even goes forward, now. Major kudos to all those who wrote their pieces, and thanks to Taft for editing them so brilliantly. :grin:

:woodman: