Register / Log in

Server Costs May

Ends in 11 days 0%
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: A Modest Proposal: completely new infuence structure.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:31 am 

Faction: Independent

I was thinking yesterday, and bounced this off a few people in chat to see what they think. This is completely brainstormy, and nowhere *near* ready to even be a proposal, but I thought I'd bring it here, because I like fleshing out concepts, even if they are never used.

IMHO, the inf game is *way* out of scale to the rest of the game, and it doesn't reflect the different ways people can climb through the points-based experience. I believe should be a lot less of it, harder to earn, and earnable in a different fashion than just haul things or shoot things.
This got me to thinking about whether the game could change, so that things change more based on *who* controls an island. IE, if it was controlled by the greens, the *way* to take it away would be to make the most profit there. if it was controlled by red, run the most combat/hunts off it, and blue, the most influence (in the fashion we think of it being right now). This way, there'd be a way for *all* types of players to participate in endgame, and it wouldn't be geared to just one type of player.

The theory of the first part of it runs this way: there's a reason an island is a certain colour now; the people like that style of government. So to insinuate yourself in, you need to get them on your side; play their game. After you flip it, you have, presumably, started to talk them over to your way of thinking.

If an island is Green, you would earn leadership points on it through high amounts of trade; the people there, right now, respect money and value trade. Attack would be done by making high trades to them (they respect your negotiating skills) and Defense by trades you make taking things from them for profit elsewhere (raising their reputations as suppliers). (Trade Inf)

Blue, with their more dashing, quick little planes, performance inf, would be close to the current cargo trading. Defense would be lots of things taken to other places to make the island well known and influential, Attack would be bringing lots of things from other places to develop the reptuation of a skyland as a place where people need to send things. Timing might also be part of this; faster might get more reward. (Performance Inf)

Red's combat, is a little harder, but with the hopefully incoming PVP, with both Attack and Defense being a combination of attacking pirates (who can keep us safest?) and interfactional PVP (a Red winner gets defense points, a Non-Red gets attack points). (Combat Inf)

Yellow is harder yet; I'd like to see it be a low end but varied selection of the above, to work as an actual *training* ground for people.

This would do several things:
- make your play style have more effect on the skylands
- give people who are good at all the different things a way to shine in endgame (which is insanely biased to certain perf types now)
- it only shoehorns you into a faction if you are *only* running defense; because in order to flip an island, you need to bring a range of skills. at the same time, it still puts some value on each faction's declared purpose
- it's a little harder to work against your 'type' when conquering an island, so you get an actual bonus when you manage to flip, instead of just grinding more influence as it stands to keep it).

These are just ideas; it just sort of occurred to me yesterday, and I took the logs of chats and threw them all here to see what y'all might think of it, and how it might be improved. I know there's no way it can be implemented anytime soon, but it was fun to work out in my head! :smile:

Thes.

Thespian: I am a whirlwind of trade!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:38 am 
Developer

this is a marvelous and intriguing new take on it! i'll consider this now as i go get ready for the day.

factions will be rearranged somewhat with the upcoming reset though, i wonder how that would affect this...

-PL-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:42 am 
Field Marshal

Faction: Flight School
Define 'rearranged', Phil?

Field Marshal of the Crimson Armada, and Imperial Senator

Governor of Echo

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:05 am 
Developer

no

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:26 am 

Faction: Jade Hand

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaasssssssseee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:44 am 
Developer

phil wrote:
no
I can: two up, one down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:14 pm 
Field Marshal

Calvin wrote:
phil wrote:
no
I can: two up, one down.

Um, there was talk of changing factional functionality, at some point.

Either way; I'll quit hijacking this thread. Don't want Thes to hurt me.

Field Marshal of the Crimson Armada, and Imperial Senator

Governor of Echo

Dum Spiramus Tuebimur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:06 pm 
True Friend

My main problem with the proposal is that I'm a performance/ trader who got tired of combat in the first round. I have built up friendships amongst my faction members and do not wish to change my loyalty simply because I have a different playing style than my comrades.

'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:48 pm 

Faction: Independent

The March Hare wrote:
My main problem with the proposal is that I'm a performance/ trader who got tired of combat in the first round. I have built up friendships amongst my faction members and do not wish to change my loyalty simply because I have a different playing style than my comrades.

You wouldn't need to; in point, I think it would make your skills more useful by incorporating them more. As mentioned, all factions, while having an advantage on their home turf, will also need to have a few people good at *other* people's specialities, if they feel expansionist. But having a different style than most people in your faction will actually make you of value to them, when they want to flip one of the other factions. If red, say, wants to flip a green skyland, they'll *need* traders. If they want to keep it, they'll *need* combat aces. If blue wants to take a red island, they'll need those aces, and then they'll need high performers to keep it.

I'm reaching a point now where I'm nearly out of things to do as a pretty pure Trader; I'm not much into combat (indeed, until last saturday had never actually won a combat point). Performance has no real enticement for me....except that it's the only thing left to do after I cap out, because all trading can do for me is...make more money, which has no impact in the game. This proposal is designed to give some endgame fun to all types of players, instead of just the speediest.

Thes.

Thespian: I am a whirlwind of trade!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:28 am 
Hack Journalist

Faction: Court of Violets

I'm curious as to how yall propose to balance this... the highest average combat is around 40... and a really good trade can bring in millions. I also sort of dislike the thought that to attack a green island, i'd have to *shudder* trade on it... and then as soon as it flips, the defense needs to be combat. A bit of a jarring trade

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:53 am 
Combat Guru

Faction: Azure League

Burrito Loco lays waste to Red holdings keeping heads down with withering fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:54 pm 
True Friend

Ellington wrote:
I also sort of dislike the thought that to attack a green island, i'd have to *shudder* trade on it... and then as soon as it flips, the defense needs to be combat. A bit of a jarring trade

I wondered about this too. If you join a faction because you like (or need) that style of play (more extreme examples being Red vs Green), then you'll have to do an activity you don't like in order to flip an opposing skyland. Now, if the intent is to get people to run more defense, I can see this helping - but otherwise...?

Also, the amount of time you spend online seems like it would also affect influence - a trader can amass lots of defensive influence without much time commitment, where a combat pilot would have to spend a lot more time with defensive influence. Perhaps this would even out, with Red skyland average influence simply much lower than Green skyland average influence, but this seems to be a sketchy means of 'solving' the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:33 pm 
Snuggler

Very interesting ideas, but it will be sometime before there are in-game effects for a faction, especially if those effects are different for each faction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:34 am 

Well, it might be better to mix it up a bit.
I am quite sure a red would be impressed with someone who could fly circles around them at their top speed, even if they would be even more impressed with someone who can beat up every pirate in the vicinity singlehandedly.

In other words, rather than completely restricting influence, make it heavily biased based on factions, so much so that multiple "incorrect missions" (do not have to be missions. I merely do not have a better word) would be needed to match the effect of one "correct"

It would be the most realistic, and depending on how much a difference you make them, they might be either extremely restricted, or almost like it currently is.