Register / Log in

Server Costs Sep

Ends in 14 days 0%
It is currently Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: State of the Reset
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:27 pm 
RP Guide

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:33 pm
Posts: 1642
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Lord Gilbert wrote:
2. Integration of new skyland type.



Wot?

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:45 pm 

Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:20 am
Posts: 263
Faction: Crimson Armada

Offline
Al I want for Christmas is my two front arcs...
Two front arcs...
Two front arcs!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:12 pm 
True Friend

Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:46 am
Posts: 988
Location: Uurwerk at a Tea Party
Faction: Flight School
Offline
hmmm...It appears that we have a little while to wait for the game to go back up......

Back to Kingdom of Loathing.

_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people,' said Alice.

'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 pm 
Flight Master

Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:55 pm
Posts: 2773
Location: Volstoy
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Fenriq wrote:
Does the Sky-rating affect any aspect of the game or is it just a way to take a tiny satisfaction in marking someone as infamous? My guess is no in-game effect but wanted to make sure.


No in game effect.

Lomondra wrote:
Could you insert a Chaotic button between Honorable and Infamous please? Or more preciously use: Honorable to Chaotic Good to Chaotic to Chaotic Bad to Infamous. Things aren't just black and white anymore, we need more definition.


At this time, no.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:59 pm 
Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:51 am
Posts: 1481
Location: Cynoscephalae
Faction: Court of Violets

Offline
Lomondra wrote:
I think the devs need more life time during the holidays and should take the reset past January 2nd at least!

Thirded.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:44 pm 

Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 75
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Un-thirded and un-seconded!
:razz:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: State of the Reset
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:06 pm 
Developer

Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:05 am
Posts: 3661
Location: Skybrary Archives
Offline
Lord Gilbert wrote:
In an effort to keep you all informed...
Thank you, Gil.

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Skyrates/SR2.4 has been updated as well.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 pm 

Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:11 pm
Posts: 30
Location: place with slow internets :C
Faction: Crimson Armada

Offline
Lomondra wrote:
[Edit: Forgot to mention about the new reset date...so much to do and so little time...I think the devs need more life time during the holidays and should take the reset past January 2nd at least!]

Similar sentiments here.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:39 pm 

Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:20 am
Posts: 211
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Faction: Flight School
Offline
I'm happy just reading the occasional developmental previews that come up here and there.

Anticipation itself is sometimes more fun/rewarding than that which is being anticipated. (Hopefully not this time though!!!)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:38 am 
Legend

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:51 am
Posts: 1481
Location: Cynoscephalae
Faction: Court of Violets

Offline
I have a few concerns with this idea of going live in two weeks. First, I'm worried that y'all are pushing yourselves too hard for an arbitrary deadline, and are going to make some mistakes. Second, having the first few weeks of the new round, which I expect will be quite hectic, fall during the holidays will mean that a lot of the player base is going to find itself torn, distracted, traveling, or otherwise not able to devote an appropriate amount of time and energy to doing intial scouting and playtesting. On the other hand, while most players would be happy to wait months for the new round, there is some percentage that will drift off if we don't get rolling quickly.

So my proposal is this: release the game when y'all think it's ready, but only as a playtesting 'rump' session. Designate something like January 2nd as the start of the real round. During this trial phase, even if it is a diminished or distracted group, we can test out the new interface, play options, plane stats, map, features, etc., and provide feedback to improve balance and gameplay. But we won't be faced with the weird pressure to keep exploits secret to benefit our factions, and it won't matter if there are some dev mistakes in the rush to release.

I think this would satisfy a lot of needs simultaneously, and no real downsides come to mind. Thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:39 am 
Dev Eyepatch

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:32 am
Posts: 1040
Faction: Flight School
Offline
I basically agree with the sentiments and concerns posted above, though I think Z!'sidea will bring more work to the dev's plates. It's the holiday season, the devs should be able to enjoy it as well, without having to work their collective hiney's off during the holidays just to give us our daily Skyrates.

_________________
Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to. What we do in life, echoes in eternity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:12 am 
Cinco de Mayo 2014

Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 7:27 pm
Posts: 178
Location: Alaska
Faction: Crimson Armada

Offline
I think that if the developers said they would try to have it finished in 2 weeks. Then they believe that it is possible. I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing, and wouldn't set themselves ridiculous deadlines. (We hope) So as for me. I think if the devs say about 2 weeks, then let it be two weeks. :smile: Nonetheless, a pat on the back and a large hug to them devs putting so much hard work into such a wonderfully put together game....*claps*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:44 am 

Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:27 am
Posts: 1794
Faction: Azure League

Offline
Zabrak! wrote:
I have a few concerns with this idea of going live in two weeks. First, I'm worried that y'all are pushing yourselves too hard for an arbitrary deadline, and are going to make some mistakes. Second, having the first few weeks of the new round, which I expect will be quite hectic, fall during the holidays will mean that a lot of the player base is going to find itself torn, distracted, traveling, or otherwise not able to devote an appropriate amount of time and energy to doing intial scouting and playtesting. On the other hand, while most players would be happy to wait months for the new round, there is some percentage that will drift off if we don't get rolling quickly.

So my proposal is this: release the game when y'all think it's ready, but only as a playtesting 'rump' session. Designate something like January 2nd as the start of the real round. During this trial phase, even if it is a diminished or distracted group, we can test out the new interface, play options, plane stats, map, features, etc., and provide feedback to improve balance and gameplay. But we won't be faced with the weird pressure to keep exploits secret to benefit our factions, and it won't matter if there are some dev mistakes in the rush to release.

I think this would satisfy a lot of needs simultaneously, and no real downsides come to mind. Thoughts?


I'm Pierce N.V. Post, and I approve this message.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:56 am 
Explorer

Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:23 pm
Posts: 462
Faction: Jade Hand

Offline
There's no need to encourage the devs to slow down. We're not their parents.

Rather, I would say that I look forward to the game, would love to have it in two weeks, but don't mind if the devs take as long as they need to. Hey, it works for Blizzard!

_________________
Captain of the Dawn Patrol
"Fly swiftly, and with a big gun."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:11 am 
Noted Explorer

Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:51 am
Posts: 686
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Seems to me that a "rump session" would take more effort on the devs' part than is worthwhile. Furthermore, the danger of less hardcore players no realizing what was going on and being upset when things got reset a month after they started playing is something to consider. But most of all, letting everyone play around for a month with the new map/features/planes etc, would sap a huge amount of fun from the "real" round, since the sense of new discovery would be completely vitiated.
For the small group of competitive players who like to get out of the gates running (myself included), it can be inconvenient for the game to start at a time when real life makes playing regularly difficult. But that is hardly a reason to effect an entire rump session. The game was intended to be casual, and I gather that most players play it that way and won't fret overmuch if they can't micromanage every landing during the first weeks of a new round.
Consider further that ANY release date will inconvenience SOMEONE. It is up to the Devs to release the reset when they feel ready.

Fex

_________________
System: Chrome - Mac OS 10.7 - MacBook Pro (Intel - 2011 model)


Last edited by Edmund C. Fex on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:14 am 
Developer

Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:29 am
Posts: 2232
Location: the steel city
Offline
Sadistica wrote:
I think Z!'s idea will bring more work to the dev's plates.


Simply resetting the database doesn't take Clay too long--about an afternoon or so. What takes time is developing / testing the new features, not so much messing with the database.

The game is running now, for developers. Bugs abound.

-PL-


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:26 am 
Explorer

Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:19 pm
Posts: 1127
Location: EST
Faction: Azure League

Offline
/me makes the subtle observation that The Phil happens to be red.

_________________
Naes Draw
Earthbreach Exploration
IDAD CO
Fastest "Draw" in the west
Image
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:27 am 

Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:27 am
Posts: 1794
Faction: Azure League

Offline
Edmund C. Fex wrote:
Seems to me that a "rump session" would take more effort on the devs' part than is worthwhile. Furthermore, the danger of less hardcore players no realizing what was going on and being upset when things got reset a month after they started playing is something to consider. But most of all, letting everyone play around for a month with the new map/features/planes etc, would sap a huge amount of fun from the "real" round, since the sense of new discovery would be completely vitiated.
For the small group of competitive players who like to get out of the gates running (myself included), it can be inconvenient for the game to start at a time when real life makes playing regularly difficult. But that is hardly a reason to effect an entire rump session. The game was intended to be casual, and I gather that most players play it that way and won't fret overmuch if they can't micromanage every landing during the first weeks of a new round.
Consider further that ANY release date will inconvenience SOMEONE. It is up to the Devs to release the reset when they feel ready.

Fex


But.... but what about my annual winter vacation on the family estate?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sftrajan/1 ... 883865534/

The robots servants interfere with wifi reception.

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Robot_crew.png


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:57 am 

Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 75
Faction: Flight School
Offline
Yeah, I agree with some earlier comments that perhaps the devs may be rushed.
I suppose without knowing just how rushed they feel, if at all at this point, should we be telling them to race to the finish or wait until New Year's.
Gilbert says that all they need is two more weeks, and seems fine with that timetable. I say that means they're fine and not rushed to get it by then. After all, he didn't /have/ to say that's when it'd be ready.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:13 pm 
Developer

Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:05 am
Posts: 3661
Location: Skybrary Archives
Offline
Naes Draw wrote:
/me makes the subtle observation that The Phil happens to be red.
That's understandable. It's like the man says...
phil wrote:
Bugs abound.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group