Register / Log in

Server Costs Sep

Ends in 14 days 0%
It is currently Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: State of the Reset
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:27 pm 
RP Guide

Faction: Flight School
Lord Gilbert wrote:
2. Integration of new skyland type.

Wot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:45 pm 

Faction: Crimson Armada

Al I want for Christmas is my two front arcs...
Two front arcs...
Two front arcs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:12 pm 
True Friend

hmmm...It appears that we have a little while to wait for the game to go back up......

Back to Kingdom of Loathing.

'Oh, you can't help that,' said the cat. 'We're all mad here.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:29 pm 
Flight Master

Fenriq wrote:
Does the Sky-rating affect any aspect of the game or is it just a way to take a tiny satisfaction in marking someone as infamous? My guess is no in-game effect but wanted to make sure.

No in game effect.

Lomondra wrote:
Could you insert a Chaotic button between Honorable and Infamous please? Or more preciously use: Honorable to Chaotic Good to Chaotic to Chaotic Bad to Infamous. Things aren't just black and white anymore, we need more definition.

At this time, no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:59 pm 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

Lomondra wrote:
I think the devs need more life time during the holidays and should take the reset past January 2nd at least!

Thirded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:44 pm 

Un-thirded and un-seconded!
:razz:

Post subject: Re: State of the Reset
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:06 pm 
Developer

Lord Gilbert wrote:
In an effort to keep you all informed...
Thank you, Gil.

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Skyrates/SR2.4 has been updated as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 pm 

Lomondra wrote:
[Edit: Forgot to mention about the new reset date...so much to do and so little time...I think the devs need more life time during the holidays and should take the reset past January 2nd at least!]

Similar sentiments here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:39 pm 

I'm happy just reading the occasional developmental previews that come up here and there.

Anticipation itself is sometimes more fun/rewarding than that which is being anticipated. (Hopefully not this time though!!!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:38 am 
Legend

Faction: Court of Violets

I have a few concerns with this idea of going live in two weeks. First, I'm worried that y'all are pushing yourselves too hard for an arbitrary deadline, and are going to make some mistakes. Second, having the first few weeks of the new round, which I expect will be quite hectic, fall during the holidays will mean that a lot of the player base is going to find itself torn, distracted, traveling, or otherwise not able to devote an appropriate amount of time and energy to doing intial scouting and playtesting. On the other hand, while most players would be happy to wait months for the new round, there is some percentage that will drift off if we don't get rolling quickly.

So my proposal is this: release the game when y'all think it's ready, but only as a playtesting 'rump' session. Designate something like January 2nd as the start of the real round. During this trial phase, even if it is a diminished or distracted group, we can test out the new interface, play options, plane stats, map, features, etc., and provide feedback to improve balance and gameplay. But we won't be faced with the weird pressure to keep exploits secret to benefit our factions, and it won't matter if there are some dev mistakes in the rush to release.

I think this would satisfy a lot of needs simultaneously, and no real downsides come to mind. Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:39 am 
Dev Eyepatch

I basically agree with the sentiments and concerns posted above, though I think Z!'sidea will bring more work to the dev's plates. It's the holiday season, the devs should be able to enjoy it as well, without having to work their collective hiney's off during the holidays just to give us our daily Skyrates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:12 am 
Cinco de Mayo 2014

I think that if the developers said they would try to have it finished in 2 weeks. Then they believe that it is possible. I'm pretty sure they know what they are doing, and wouldn't set themselves ridiculous deadlines. (We hope) So as for me. I think if the devs say about 2 weeks, then let it be two weeks. :smile: Nonetheless, a pat on the back and a large hug to them devs putting so much hard work into such a wonderfully put together game....*claps*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:44 am 

Faction: Azure League

Zabrak! wrote:
I have a few concerns with this idea of going live in two weeks. First, I'm worried that y'all are pushing yourselves too hard for an arbitrary deadline, and are going to make some mistakes. Second, having the first few weeks of the new round, which I expect will be quite hectic, fall during the holidays will mean that a lot of the player base is going to find itself torn, distracted, traveling, or otherwise not able to devote an appropriate amount of time and energy to doing intial scouting and playtesting. On the other hand, while most players would be happy to wait months for the new round, there is some percentage that will drift off if we don't get rolling quickly.

So my proposal is this: release the game when y'all think it's ready, but only as a playtesting 'rump' session. Designate something like January 2nd as the start of the real round. During this trial phase, even if it is a diminished or distracted group, we can test out the new interface, play options, plane stats, map, features, etc., and provide feedback to improve balance and gameplay. But we won't be faced with the weird pressure to keep exploits secret to benefit our factions, and it won't matter if there are some dev mistakes in the rush to release.

I think this would satisfy a lot of needs simultaneously, and no real downsides come to mind. Thoughts?

I'm Pierce N.V. Post, and I approve this message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:56 am 
Explorer

Faction: Jade Hand

There's no need to encourage the devs to slow down. We're not their parents.

Rather, I would say that I look forward to the game, would love to have it in two weeks, but don't mind if the devs take as long as they need to. Hey, it works for Blizzard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:11 am 
Noted Explorer

Seems to me that a "rump session" would take more effort on the devs' part than is worthwhile. Furthermore, the danger of less hardcore players no realizing what was going on and being upset when things got reset a month after they started playing is something to consider. But most of all, letting everyone play around for a month with the new map/features/planes etc, would sap a huge amount of fun from the "real" round, since the sense of new discovery would be completely vitiated.
For the small group of competitive players who like to get out of the gates running (myself included), it can be inconvenient for the game to start at a time when real life makes playing regularly difficult. But that is hardly a reason to effect an entire rump session. The game was intended to be casual, and I gather that most players play it that way and won't fret overmuch if they can't micromanage every landing during the first weeks of a new round.
Consider further that ANY release date will inconvenience SOMEONE. It is up to the Devs to release the reset when they feel ready.

Fex

Last edited by Edmund C. Fex on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:14 am 
Developer

Sadistica wrote:
I think Z!'s idea will bring more work to the dev's plates.

Simply resetting the database doesn't take Clay too long--about an afternoon or so. What takes time is developing / testing the new features, not so much messing with the database.

The game is running now, for developers. Bugs abound.

-PL-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:26 am 
Explorer

/me makes the subtle observation that The Phil happens to be red.

Fastest "Draw" in the west
Remember your Flight School combat training.
Detect, Close, Maneuver, Attack, Disengage. Rinse and repeat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:27 am 

Edmund C. Fex wrote:
Seems to me that a "rump session" would take more effort on the devs' part than is worthwhile. Furthermore, the danger of less hardcore players no realizing what was going on and being upset when things got reset a month after they started playing is something to consider. But most of all, letting everyone play around for a month with the new map/features/planes etc, would sap a huge amount of fun from the "real" round, since the sense of new discovery would be completely vitiated.
For the small group of competitive players who like to get out of the gates running (myself included), it can be inconvenient for the game to start at a time when real life makes playing regularly difficult. But that is hardly a reason to effect an entire rump session. The game was intended to be casual, and I gather that most players play it that way and won't fret overmuch if they can't micromanage every landing during the first weeks of a new round.
Consider further that ANY release date will inconvenience SOMEONE. It is up to the Devs to release the reset when they feel ready.

Fex

But.... but what about my annual winter vacation on the family estate?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sftrajan/1 ... 883865534/

The robots servants interfere with wifi reception.

http://skyrates.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Robot_crew.png

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:57 am 

Yeah, I agree with some earlier comments that perhaps the devs may be rushed.
I suppose without knowing just how rushed they feel, if at all at this point, should we be telling them to race to the finish or wait until New Year's.
Gilbert says that all they need is two more weeks, and seems fine with that timetable. I say that means they're fine and not rushed to get it by then. After all, he didn't /have/ to say that's when it'd be ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:13 pm 
Developer

Naes Draw wrote:
/me makes the subtle observation that The Phil happens to be red.
That's understandable. It's like the man says...
phil wrote:
Bugs abound.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next